It has ocurred to me that the superhero only originates in America...

It has ocurred to me that the superhero only originates in America. That seems to be the only country that has produced this phenomenon

Attached: images - 2022-04-15T172024.839.jpg (739x415, 18.69K)

This is an alan moore quote by the way

It depends how narrowly you define superhero I guess
Robin Hood is a folk hero going back centuries, but there’s definitely some of superhero concepts in his story. The Scarlet Pimpernal is the prototype of pulp heroes, he’s from England too.
Superman is American. The Phantom is American. Zorro is American. The Shadow is American.
How narrowly would you define superhero is the real question? Who can be called the first?

>Who can be called the first?
Gilgamesh.

Based, I love the Mighty King of strong walled Uruk.

if you explain the joke there's no joke :/

Nah

Attached: CD01C837-7020-47A3-AEB3-FCB23591EF87.jpg (1790x1790, 284.56K)

This is so dumb. We have been writing stories about people who can fly or are super strong or can breath fire since before America existed. Other countries wrote stories based in their own history. Even Englands folk tales like Robin Hood as the other user mentioned were quite modern compared to other culture's stories because their mythology and fiction was mostly lost. America had no real history so their stories were based in a much more modern setting again.
America was writing their stories about not only these fantastical things but writing them through the lens of post industrial revolution and technology. I don't really see how a Wizard is any different than Superman

Moore seems to be getting more wrong as time goes by,

Heracles, Theseus, Jason, Bellerophon, Perseus.

Arthur, Lancelot, Gawain, Percival, Galahd,

Beowulf, Siegfried, St George.

The Scarlet Pimpernel. Japan's Crimson Bat.

I wonder if Moore has given up on contributing and is merely clickbaiting to annoy people at this point.

If it's not funny, it's not a joke,.

Everytime Moore talks about superheroes or comics he gets almost everything wrong. He´s just trolling

If it's a real quote, than he's even dumber than I thought.

Anything allegedly made by Americans was actually stolen and bastardized from POC cultures.

Many folk heroes had superstrength, rode a winged horse and had a helmet of invisiblilty, wore a distinctive costume or led a double life,.

Alan Moore knows all this perfectly well. Look at his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen books to see how well versed he is in folklore and pop culture going back ages,.

Maybe the quote is simply taken out of context,. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to get clicks.

>It has ocurred to me that the superhero only originates in America. That seems to be the only country that has produced this phenomenon

Shut up Alan.

Attached: WizardGava.png (1023x581, 637.82K)

Obvious troll is obvious.

"I get no respect, no respect at all."

Attached: hercules.jpg (224x225, 12.86K)

"Merlin tells me that hundreds of years from now, someone named Alan Moore will show disrespect to the Round Table.:"

Attached: round table.jpg (281x179, 9.53K)

False.

Attached: file.png (1261x1473, 3.09M)

It's funny because it's posted with a picture of Rasputin you twat

>

Batman has no super-powers. Luke Cage wears no costume. Flash Gordon has no secret identity.

Super-heroes are like jazz, they're hard to define but easy to recognize,

Most pagan Gods are basically superheroes. They even had grey morality and antiheroes thousands of years before American comics came up with it.

Him and his partner, the wild man Enkidu!

Cap and the Falcon from thousands of years ago.

Someone like Theseus or Perseus is even clearer as a super-hero than the gods were, I'd say. Then you have Jason assembling a crew of the mightiest heroes, some of which had unusual powers.

"Where is the fool who knows not the deeds of Achilles?"

Attached: download (3).jpg (177x285, 8.39K)

why doesn't he just live out the rest of his days playing Rasputin? he's got the perfect look for it.

his dick probably isn't big enough, though--but they can also CG it on later.

>Moore is british and claims to be a wizard
>is ignorant of his own culture
Well now we see why he didn´t had the cut to be a novelist

Alan Moore has gone full pseudo, he sounds like a bitter manchild every time he speaks now. He desperately wants to be viewed as smart and wants to be seen to be above comics

If comic books were a garden, Moore was the child running through them with a lawnmower.

weren't early comics born out penny dreadfuls in england?

I don´t get why he hates capes so much, is a brit thing? Because Ennis hates them too, and both have the most edgiest views on comics. He just can´t understand that comics are like fairy tales, people read them for fun

Imagine a Moore-hater resorting to the "mythology is capeshit!" argument to try and prove he's a pseudo-intellectual

He did sound genuinely intelligent back in the1980s, It's sad but maybe he simply is showing cognitive decline. Soon he'll be ranting about the little leprechauns eating his pudding when he's not watching,.

Attached: 1646393840865.png (880x4085, 737.21K)

It's so obviously true you should see it. Have you ever Edith Hamilton or Robert Graves?

Ennis is a bitter NI Prot, thats where his hard-on for military shit comes in, and considering most early capes were written by irish americans and jews, its little wonder he feels its his duty to tear them down

>superheroes are totally modern myths guys!

Attached: 1642829285842.jpg (1280x720, 156.94K)

Start with Robert Graves, THE GREEK MYTHS. Theseus wandered through Greece using his superhuman strength to help oppressed people and to punish bandits and tyrants. Read some of the variations in his stories.

Perseus slew monsters and rescued princesses with his invisibility helmet and adamantine sword. Bellerophon had a winged horse to help him kill monsters.

Obvious troll is still obvious.

Attached: download (1).jpg (275x183, 16.79K)

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, won't we? I mean, we'll be long dead, but if Superman and Batman are still known and studied by scholars a thousand years from now, then by definition you are wrong.

Retard they can be inspired by the myths that came before them otherwise America pulled Superman out of their ass which would be a stronger argument for them being modern myths, especially in a country with a very young history.
If they are just derivative fiction like that other user is trying to say then you can laugh at people for calling them modern myths. It is probably out of context Moore is giving far too much credit to Americans here, people with powers in stories long before America

Attached: ideas.png (533x913, 958.77K)

Uh-huh, just like other once popular genres like westerns and noir. It's not like we're right in the middle of capeshit seeing a decline in popularity or anything.

It's more popular than ever though

Jesus is the real superhero can I get a fucken AMEN

>prototype
>basically
>mythical
>folk
So many redditors.
Superman, The Phantom, Batman, and Luke Cage are superheroes. The rest are not.
The quote is from 2009, but you're all a bunch of wet-brained guaranteed repliers.
These count.

A little punctuation would make your comments more intelligible.

Let me throw in some random insults such as faggot, retard and asshole,.

I bet you have no internal monologue

nice spacing

faggot

The Jesus of Earth-Two wore a mask and was in love with Mary Magdalene but couldn't tell her because his enemies would hurt her to get revenge on him.

Your classification is no more valid than anyone else's. Let me throw in some random Yea Forums insults to help: asshole, faggot and retard.

Obvious troll is obvious

Best part of the whole movie. Should have been the mastermind behind everything instead of that obvious 'twist' reveal.

Those other popular genres emerged around the same time as capeshit, and yet capeshit still persists. Funny.

>implying Sonic The Hedgehog isn't a superhero

Western novels are as old as the west itself

All of you, missing the obvious point that separate classical heroes from modern superheroes.
Classical heroes have a story to tell, with a beginning and an end. The story of Theseus, the story of Hercules, of Gilgamesh and Arthur... they all have closure.
Now you can wax as much poetry as you want about superheroes, but they are a product to be sold in a consummerist society, that's why it cannot stop. They can never have closure if they are successful; there's no end to their stories because they are not stories, they are lucrative IPs to be guarded by being kept in circulation. There is no Superman story, there's no Batman story, no Spider-man story, just a succession and superposition of tales determined ultimately by an editorial committee in the best of cases. You just have to put a "to be continued" at the end of every chapter to trick people into believing there's an end goal, an Avalon, an arrow that marks their grave. There's just the next iteration of what basically amounts to a logo.

Not really a distinction that makes a difference, though. The other traits that usually define a super-hero are more important. Trying to find a characteristic to separate heroes from myth and folklore from modern super-heroes would need something a little more basic.

True for the Big 2, maybe, but there are plenty of other superhero stories with defined beginnings and ends.

Westerns and noir never went away, their popularity rises and falls slightly. Just watched The Hateful Eight the other day. Same for slapstick comedy and movie musicals. They have decades where they're more popular and less popular but then so do super-heroes.

If the current movie trend fades out, comics are selling in such low numbers as to be culturally insignificant. Before the movies, most people have never heard of Iron Man. After the movies fade, he'll be a "Remember that?" character like Mike Hammer or Honey West.

And it doesn't matter anyway. Usually a super-hero is defined as having most or all of the characteristics: fighting injustice and protecting the innocent, distinctive costume or clothing, unusual powers and abilities, a double identity etc. Being published in an closed ended format is not a necessity that gets mentioned.

Depends on what you mean with Superhero I guess.

If you're talking about the secret identity crime fighter then yes, it's American. There are foreign "inspirations" like One Punch Man and My Hero Academia, but they're still quite a bit different.

But technically the Superheroes where inspired by Mythological Heroes, like Achilles, Hercules, and Gilgamesh.