Girl Genius (& other old webcomics if you want)

'member Girl Genius? It's still running after 20 years. Have you been keeping up with it?

Attached: sciencepc1.jpg (1600x1200, 314.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

banishedonline.com/
freefall.purrsia.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yup, and enjoying it too. It updates like clockwork while a bunch of "hip new" webcomics don't.

I'm rereading now and I'd forgotten how entertaining the Jagermonsters were

You said other old webcomics
Has Scott posted the final comic yet?
Is Girl Genius actually any good?

Attached: Movie_c5b971_2503533.jpg (450x461, 48.5K)

They really are the best.

Pretty cool they're still running. I stopped reading when they got to underwater England. Is it still any good?

>read webcomic
>nice story and art
>suddenly pa(treon)ywalled
>no updates
>only fanart posting and e-begging

The main character can be off putting at times as she toes the line of mary sue and the other line of being an annoying bitch.

Girl genius fucking rocks, and has far and away the best merch options of any webcomics I know of, has Yea Forums ever done a read along?

I completely forgot about it after deciding to leave it alone and build up a backlog about ten years ago. Mission accomplished, I guess.

Girl Genius is actually good. Long as fuck, but pretty consistently entertaining. There were definitely some "are they STILL on Namek?" arcs, and the art isn't for everyone, but it puts a smile on my face pretty regularly.

I stepped off on the underwater arc
That felt like a slog..

I dunno. You wanting to storytime it?

Nah, I gave up on it back during the Castle arc. I check it out every once in a while if I read that something major happened, but honestly, the writing isn't that good and some of the worldbuilding doesn't work, and it's just trying to do everything instead of focusing on one thing. Like seriously, if you need this long to tell a story, you're doing something wrong.

The artists did a bunch of magic cards back in the day. So that was a neat discovery. Kind of wish there were more cards as cartoony as their old stuff. I know Adam Rex (children books guy what did the book Home was based off of) also did a bunch of stuff too.

Attached: foglio.jpg (480x680, 212.01K)

Sometimes I think about a world where Kaja does the art for Girl Genius instead of Phil....

Attached: ShahrazadSquare_1200x.jpg (1200x1200, 139.56K)

Yo nigga Thats fucking gross imagine smegma in your popcorn.

I've had a friend a while back who was a fan, I just remember being uninterested at the time because I had heard (like some anons had said in the thread) it had a bit of a "Stuck On Namek" problem. Like there is some "doombell" and it finally being rung after a whole long time of being set up was a bit of a to-do... at the time.

Might want to give it a shot.

Otherwise an old webcomic I remember probably doesn't exist anymore. That said, probably not that good, but it and eventually Everafter/Endzone stuff introduced me to the whole wider world of doing art stuff online.

The comic was Jack Of All Blades btw. Suffers a little bit from mid 2000s lol-random marble shooting stuff, a few well done jokes, weird myth arcs, but did manage to conclude, have a sequel-ish series that didn't conclude. An inbetweenquel that explained why magic was gone, and apparently a longstanding prior comic about exclusively penguins.

I just remember enjoying it when I was like 12-13, back when you can discover a thing through a 25x50pixel stamp on a pokemon fansite along side several other selfsame microadverts.

I was under the impression they worked together a bunch. Is that not the case with the comic?

Are they still together? it has been 20-30 years at this point.

It has some of that early-mid 2000s funk, but it's decent.

They are still together, and they do work together on the comic, but as far as I know Kaja does the writing and Phil the art, no overlap. While I do appreciate the cartoony charm Phil brings to the table, I think the overall quality of the work Kaja puts out is much higher.

Attached: CoffinQueen_900x.jpg (900x900, 181.49K)

Why doesn't Phil make new XXXenophile, surely his kids are grown now

I just miss webcomics in general. Old webcomics back closer to the start of the 2000s.

>old PvP
>old PA
>Achewood
>Wonderella
>Queen of Wands
>Miracle of Science
some other stuff that I'm forgetting. There was just a lot of good shit. Funny enough I didn't get into 8-bit theater and the various other sprite comics, because I was a bit of a hipster. Nonetheless, it was some good shit.

>it has been running for 20 years
so's endtown and look what happened to that

What happened to endtown? Every time some rando does a webcomic thread, and a guy mentions something about decay, someone says something along the lines ¨well atleast is not endtown¨¨

>What happened to endtown
Mental insanity

I don't think Mary Sue ever applies for the main character in an original work, the point of main characters is that they tend to be better than most others otherwise why would you follow that person specifically. It's only really an issue if it removes all sense of danger or is on cringe inducing levels, but even that is what the audience wants sometimes, Twilight movies as an example

God damn, I can't remember the name of this old webcomic. It had this one guy and his robot partner had hired a wolf girl mechanic to repair their ship. I remember on part of the webcomic where that wolf girl had to convinced some guy to get out of building because of a flood. Sorry if I don't have more to explain but I did like that webcomic.

One of his kids even posted here.

Mmmmaybe Banished: banishedonline.com/
Guy and robot with a spaceship. Can't recall any werewolf mechanic, but I never read it all the way through so might still be in there.

I'll have to search for that

your thinking of freefall freefall.purrsia.com/ and technically he stole the wolf mechanic to repair his ship, its one of the best comics out there with mostly realistic approach to science, economics, psychology etc out there

>Have you been keeping up with it?
For reasons beyond my comprehension, yes. For years now, mostly uninterrupted. I guess it really just is that it's consistent and thus easy to not lose track of.

It's not bad, or anything, pretty objectively good in a lot of ways. But it's kind of clear they just like stuffing all sorts of new stuff in that tends to overtake the current running story and sideline stuff you might have liked in the past. Which will probably come around again someday, but still. I give two fucks about Queens, and England, and the Fish People.

There are MC who are just simple randoms and not some deity or a moon god

Commas are your friends.

Do people even read all these webcomics that have been going on for decades? Most of these I only know about through browsing TV Tropes. Only webcomics I ever really looked at where non-serialized vidya humour comics like Brawl in the Family and Awkward Zombie.

Are there any active good mech webcomics?

Attached: thumb-1920-942443.png (1920x1080, 3.64M)

has she done sequentials? there is a fuck of a lot more to drawing a comic than just drawing.

>Twilight movies as an example
Beta Ray Bill is another.

Fuck yeah I have. Great comic. Phil and Kaja are great folks, got to meet them once at an anime convention. I've even got an old enough copy of GG issue 1 from back when it wasn't in color, signed by Phil.
Yea Forums, I won't let you take this one from me. Don't shit all over good things. Go be salty some place else, it ain't good for your health.

Attached: coffee.jpg (700x982, 709.02K)

No, I fell out of the habit of reading it during the castle arc that felt like it was taking years to cover a couple of hours. I enjoyed everything up to that, but it ended up killing my desire to read it.

The Sword Art Online dude is widely considered to be a Mary Sue

This looks like a chubby American Midwestern middle aged sexually unfulfilled engineering dork train set hobbyist’s fantasy about his perfect bossy-but-loving woman-in-uniform wife, a deeply half-witted and possibly subtly transexual affair in the author writing and expressing his idea of this woman, who is so much like him but with all of his ideas on what he would do as a woman and what would be cool. Something about the face specifically too, the massive circular cartoon classes, the odd fluffy hair, the uniform…
Yes this is definitely the sexual expression of a 1980s era nerd. Anyone else have any analyses on this? There is an era and art style specifically for these types of people. Megatokyo and Goblins both have it too. Attempts at being cool sexy and badass coming from total softie bitches. I wish I could describe it better. It’s half a step away from all those guys who start relationships with dolls

I don’t know man seems sexually incompetent

>mechanicsburg

Also yeah this is pure garbage.

I know I’m already pathologizing like crazy about this, but we can all tell when a comic is a softie’s or a crybaby’s fantasy, right? MegaTokyo’s an easy one, the character and setting is designed to make being the overly sensitive, judgmental nobody walking around with his hands in his grey sweatshirt pockets looking down through his big glasses and sighing annoyance with the world, seem like a cool and epic thing. It’s so clearly the work of someone who didn’t know how to talk to anyone in school and made up daydreams about that being cool. Goblins is a bullied kid’s persecution fantasy about how excellently pitiful it is to be the poow wittle gobwin and how crazy psychotic everyone must be to have you crying all the time like that.
I know a lot of fiction is a personal fantasy, but some of these just slap of insecurity and an attempt to make heroes out of inherently unheroic behaviors. Dobson does it too by writing so many comics about girls acting the way he assumes they do, overly offended by men and generally being misanthropic. Lot of pathology to read out of these comics

People widely misunderstand what a mary sue is though.

Who is best girl and why it's my wife?

Attached: Princess Zeetha.png (2026x760, 2.64M)

I liked it better when it was called xxxenophiles

Phil is more the comedic kinda guy so I always tought the comic doesn't really match his humor or nature of his art. I wish he went with Mystic Adventures as a webcomic instead and doesn't need to make it a whole story arc but just several unconnected events that are silly and cartoony just in his way. But then again Mystic Adventures wasn't his work and he just did the art but always felt the series got popular due to him. Also he's good at drawing lewd stuff and miss XXXenophile.

Attached: 237_1.jpg (750x450, 149.65K)

Why does she look like she has an excess of chromosome?

That’s what I’m wondering! Girl Genius, Megatokyo, Goblins - did all of these people learn to draw using down syndrome or obese faces? I cannot help laughing to myself like these artists have spent so much effort making erotica of girls they don’t even know are ugly! Maybe not objectively ‘ugly’ per se but these artists seem to reveal a part of their sexuality and human image in what they’re trying to draw

Blame all those "how to draw anime" tutorials that ruined a generation of weeb artists.

Attached: 51166TNTG2L.jpg (388x500, 52.27K)

i agree that the art is incredibly off-putting and even kind of repulsive, which is why I've never been able to get into this comic despite only ever hearing good things about it, but this right here is some of the funniest schizo rambling and projection I've seen in a long while, good work user.

That’s true. Maybe that’s what I’m picking up on. The weakness and softness of these series, and the cringe that follows, may not be due purely to sexual fantasy pathology. That hollow feeling of trying too hard may come from the fact that they’re all followers pretending to act like leaders. They act like they have this big beautiful deep world, but it’s always either a retelling of a story from some dnd game, or just them imagining if they lived in Japan, and they’re copying bad kids instruction books to do it!

You say ruined, I say "created a distinct and clearly visible visual pattern to show they taste terrible"
evolution at its finest

Schizo projection, maybe, but as someone with family from Virginia and other weird forgotten hick places, people like Sonichu and Ken Penders truly are an archetype. You get the family’s runt, probably raised by their grandparents or other old people, and they take on geriatric concerns and certain asocial sexual understandings. Ken and Chris, stuck at home in middle America, came to think ancient native bloodlines and Cherokee bullshit was the hottest shit. And hey I don’t know many girls but my idea of a perfect girl is kind of like what I would do if I were a girl, which would mean I’d be protective and smart but really into trains or what have you (goes into the transexual pathology here). Maybe it takes a schizo to identify a schizo but I’m telling you all this weird behavior is real. I’ve watched people like my nerd hick uncle fail to have sex for 40 years until he buys a Ukrainian mail order bride and is so stuck in his own head that he can’t even notice she’s an active working whore and not ‘just like his mom’. A very specific example for sure but these people gestate very strange sexualities and beliefs alone in their heads.
My thesis: sexually isolated people will often develop their understanding of sexuality based on their families and daydreams (based just on their own selves), causing incestuous and neurotic sexual beliefs

Here’s another /isolated delusion case/ core comic, Kokoro Wish. See how you can absolutely tell this person lives at home with exactly 1 (one) parent and has likely eaten themselves out of a sexuality by copying the elderly behavior of whatever retired-and-declining parent they live with. And then they hinge such an incredible dream onto the nearest person who’s sort of a friend, feeling genuinely entitled to someone else giving her (him?) the escape from this life they can’t even think to make decisions in. And most important of all, the solipsistic belief that they are holy and wise and smart in all this. How could you not respect me like that! Very very strange

Attached: 12F4E4AD-D695-42A5-BEA6-9C202B1CEC3F.jpg (640x480, 138.63K)

wow
words

>mary sue
To be fair, the comic is called Girl Genius and does establish very quickly that Agatha's on another level.

I used to read a webcomic called Ganbare!Shimura-san before I even knew what webcomics were. It was western by the way not jap obviously just made by a weeb.