DC To Cancel Aquamen In July 2022

> Aquamen is to be cancelled by DC Comics in July and that the solicitations released tomorrow for July, will contain the final sixth issue.

> Relaunched earlier this year with Arthur Curry and Jackson Hyde sharing the lead as Aquamen in the DC Universe. Originally under former DC publisher and upcoming Frank Miller publisher Dan DiDio's plan, it would have just been Jackson Hyde as the new Aquaman of the DC Universe, but things changed. Bleeding Cool noted previously how orders crashed with the second issue, and not even a hastily-arranged 30% overship with a free Jim Lee variant cover could save the day.

>As the Aquaverse Twitter account points out, Aquamen was a stealth six-issue mini-series, which means it was originally planned to be a mini-series but was felt by DC that if it was presented that way, retailers would not order sufficient copies, and so it was presented as an ongoing series. And if sales were high enough, it would be extended anyway. But the belief is that presenting it as a mini-series would have harmed orders. However, with only 19,000 initial orders for the second issue before the Jim Lee cover was dropped, it's hard to see that it would have made much of a difference.

Attached: E0D11DB8-F78E-496A-BBBC-5F73FEC0FF63.jpg (1248x1920, 585.12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-to-cancel-aquamen-in-june-2022/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-to-cancel-aquamen-in-june-2022/

>Aquaman cancelled
That's what racist white boys get

You think DC would treat Aquaman with respect after his movie made a billion dollars.

It’s actually the series featuring the gay black man as Aquaman that’s getting cancelled

>two black writers
>both shit

All things aside I was a long-time Aquaman reader, and this Kaldur becomes Aquaman too thing was really rushed. Like worse than Jon Kent. He literally only met Arthur in Kelly Sue Deconnick's run in issue 50 or so, so he spent like 15 issues as the unoffical Aqualad before apparently being an equal. Only meeting Garth once.

Yeah they keep trying to push him and while I initially liked him in Percy’s TT arc his character has just been absolute shot since

>What if Miles Morales but Aquaman cancelled

Attached: blue x gold.jpg (356x326, 67.07K)

I mean Just because they’re black doesn’t mean the story is gonna be shit their writing speaks for itself that they are shit

don't kick a guy while he's down

The fact that they are trying to cover now by saying it was always planned as a mini is honestly quite hilarious considering they kept touting this as an Ongoing/bold new direction

Good. This series has been mediocre at best and both the lead-in mini series were dogshit. Aquaman v. Black Manta has been done to death and Jackson has the personality of a turnip. All he's done this entire series and in his lead up mini is bitch about his uninteresting family.

Is GL getting the same treatment? That last run was a fucking disaster

What the fuck? Turning ongoings into minis is Marvel's thing!

Sadly no
In the last issue there was teaser that probably after Dark Crisis we are going to get a second Throne's book

Why

Ngl I didn’t even realize this had started. Was it actually bad or are people just saying that because of Jackson?

Actually with all the diversity hires these days a writer being black kind of is a sign that it might not be good. Especially if they're nobodies working on a huge character or team.

The last two things bleedingcool reported on being canceled were deconfirmed after they reported it so.

I can list more bad writers that aren't black than ones that are.

It had two writers that literally nobody knows
The two minis previous at this book by the same writers sold horrible and most importantly the Aquafanbase that actually buy books its very small and since Johns they like a very specific formula for the Aquaman book with Arthur and Mera as the main characters but sadly those characters were sidelined to push Jackson so nobody is buying the book

Okay do it

Though Throne is insisting John is no longer a GL or affiliated with them at all The Emerald Knights is a completely separate thing.

That’s something someone says when they REALLY don’t want a character to die or be taken off their hands. Thorne probably wants to do all he can so John Stewart doesn’t disappear with the rest of the League in that whole Dark Crisis nonsense.

Good now ditch the black shit and bring back abnett and forget KSD ever derailed his run.

Bendis
Aaron
Hopeless
Cates
Bunn
KSD
Slott
Kelly Thompson
Rosenberg
Chelsea Cain
King
Millar (the Jekyll and Hyde of comic writers)

Generally I avoid bad comics and these are the immediate red flags for me.

>Fanboy does a lot of shit talking about how his favorite character is the best
>Fanboy gets ahold of said character
>His run is one of the worst runs the IP has ever had
I don't know if this reflects more poorly on Thorne or John as a concept

Scott Ciencin, Bill Jemas, Joe Quesada, Mark Millar, Doug Moench, Tom King, Rob Liefeld, Brian Azzarello, Will Pfeifer, Nick Spencer, (modern) Frank Miller (those are some that I can name at the top of my head) etc., etc.

Don’t forget mark Russell, Matt fraction, James tynion, Tom Taylor and nick spencer

>frank Miller
Kys you insufferable shitskin faggot.

I like Russell and the others are in the "meh" category for me.

You're able to do this because there are so many non black writers in general. The few black writers there are suck and books like aquamen and the current green lantern prove it.

Mixed bag of a writer, holy terror was garbage and DKR 3 was mediocre.

The point is that there are worse things about a writer than the color of their skin. A hack's a hack. I'm willing to give a new black writer a chance than any of the listed writers because they already put out shit.

His stated goal is his run was book 1 of a three-book plan, the next to focus on Kyle and Guy. it seems like he really feels

A) no GL should be more special than any other

B) John needs to be special and not tied down to GL but his own full series.

"Again, that's false. The current status of the GLs has nothing to do with John's ascension. His ascension only gave him the means to help them back on their feet. He's not one of them anymore so his new status has no relationship to theirs. No ring for john. No physical or mission connection to the beacon or to the Lanterns. Of course, he has an emotional connection to his friends but that's not what we're talking about.

Even if DC put everything back the way it was- Guardians, Battery, etc.- John's ascension would remain unaffected. There's no longer a relationship between him and the corps."

"Book 1 is about John and, to a lesser degree, Jo (nearly all the character work about her ws done in FAR SECTOR, after all). Keli is, at best, a secondary character. She's out of commission by the end of issue 5 and doesn't come back. Hardly a big plate spin there. Simon has been getting the short end for over a decade so it was a pleasure to give him some screen time and new mission by the end (one that directly connects to his established history and powers, btw).

Sure, there are a lot of unanswered questions. That's how trilogies work. The questions left were left that way on purpose. I can't help (and frankly don't care) that some 'fans' feel they've been burned so much in the past they can only look for ugliness in the future of a given story line. Not my way of seeing and absolutely not my problem. Such people have my pity.

I presented DC with big plans for both Kyle and Guy (and yes, even Hal) and the GL-verse that I think folks would love"

So how is that different from not wanting to check out a black writer who more than likely is there because they are black? If I see a high profile DC/marvel book with a no name black writing it it's pretty safe to assume it's shit.

If you see an dc/marvel book with a no nane writer now adays it's shit. what does race have to do with anything?

It's painfully bland.

>what does it have to do with race when most of these random hires are POC who only got the job because they’re non-white

Wouldn't you still assume it'd be shit if it was a no-name anybody writing? Or at least hesitant because the rational way of thinking is that any new writer is untested and you have no reason to think they're good just yet?

>mixed bag because I started reading comics recently and am dead retarded
Holy terror was better than DK3 which was mostly written by Azarello. It’s really not that bad if it isn’t one of your first comics. Read more non-conventional cape shit you normie.

>I like Russell
Then don’t try and fit in saying Slott or Cates are shit when you think three dudes propped up by undermining the entire genre are meh and Russell is good you faggot

(You)

It just sounds like you're way too lenient on white writers which makes you incredibly naive and too trusting. I bet you go down dark alleys if a white guy asks you to follow him. Either assume the worst or make no assumptions until you read their stuff. In fact, do you look up all the writers to see what race they are?

Attached: 1561976101692.gif (384x239, 353.98K)

Yeah I would be hesitant no matter what but in our current cultural climate a black writer makes me even more hesitant to the point of not even caring.

In a different time period it would mean nothing. In current clown world them being black is almost a gurentee that it's shit.

You act like this shit happens in a vacuum. Every writer you see at marvel and DC is picked for specific reason and of they're black they were probably picked for that exact reason. And statistically speaking, then yeah, that white guy in the dark alley probably just needs directions.

>Do you look up all the writers to see what color they are
Absolutely. Who doesn't?

... normal people.

Honestly with out Young Justice he would have stayed irrelevant like the dozen of Aquaman characters. To bad DC was to late to make a solo out him. Also after he turn gay, his character got worse.

Attached: The_Team_initial_five.png (1280x720, 742.88K)

Aquaman should be one of the easiest characters to write for yet DC somehow finds a way to get the least qualified people to write for him. It's honestly impressive

Probably because in the most prevalent countries blacks make up at most 13% of the population.

Gay shit don't sell

>Normal people
Oh npcs and normies who just consume any random shit that blows their way. Do you know where you are, bro?

Millar is based you're a faggot

trying to make a homosexual look badass is just silly

The same people who make FGO popular.

>Miller's rants about 9/11 being spoken Batman expys is LE GOOD.
Fucking off he hasn't read anything good in a 20 fucking years.

>Cates
>Slott
>King
>Millar
they are not necessarily bad but hit-and-miss writers honestly.

How was this series disrespectful?

If you're judging a writer simply because they're black you're being a racist piece of shit because his skin color has no reflection on his writing quality. Also judging every new talent yiu aren't already familiar with as being terrible from the start is similar type of dumb bias.

>but in our current cultural climate

Maybe it's time for you to get off online when you're this deeply biased you automatically suspect anything seen as non-white as some kind of agenda piece.