Do you think they would’ve penned this article had The Mitchells won the Oscar?

Do you think they would’ve penned this article had The Mitchells won the Oscar?

Attached: 423024E3-62A2-4AB3-9FEE-954E5D5CF115.jpg (828x846, 528.92K)

They're right you know

Why not just refuse to give a fuck about the Oscars. They matter simply because people tune in.

They drive sales.

I do not understand your question, I’m sorry, I’m not trying to obtuse.
No, they would not have written that article if the events were different, the article was written in response to a specific story
Are you asking if they had made that same crack about animation (kids love it, adults endure it or something) but gave the oscar to the Mitchells, would they care?
I think they still would, a lot of animation fans got really mad about that comment

The problem was not who won, it's how the whole thing was presented. They shat on animation as a whole, basically saying "we know we adults fucking hate cartoons, but kids are watching them so let's get on with it", presented by a bunch of roasties in Disney princess costumes. You couldn't be more tone-deaf if you tried.

I agree with you in everything but one thing: I’m not sorry, OP you are a wrong a a flat out retard.

Are you talking about Lord and Miller or the people in this thread?

wdym? why would it change? they “lost the oscar” to another animated movie you fucking Yea Forums retard

They should stop making such childish bullshit then. Adults don't take animation seriously because most of it is just kid shit.

Yeah because two people can single-handedly and continuously make movies out of their own pocket and/or without executive interference in order to shift a whole industry trend, huh?

I wasn't referring to those two specifically, you lower testosterone smart-ass.

Sadly, the executives hold all the power in terms of what gets made. As long as THEY rule, we get nothing.

I'm pretty sure Miller and Lord have the pull to make an adult animated film if they wanted.

Who’s “they” then? Because if you mean the industry/hollywood, that’s exactly what lord and miller are saying in the op. If you mean another “”””them””” then just say it, speak clearly, what are you a teenage girl?

Most L&M shit is the epitome of what audiences mean think of when they say "lolrandom" or what executives think of when they say "hateful fart cartoon." Why the fuck do these two act like they're the biggest shit on earth and need to be the "saviors of animation" or some shit?

Their attempts at "adult animation" have been cringy boomer shit like Clone High or that godawful Netflix basketball cartoon.

As I said, continuously? Do you think they have the pull “to make adult movies if they wanted” even if they eventually bomb or are poorly received? Because as soon as they start hurting the pockets of the people who actually are putting the money, then guess what, executive meddling comes next and then the “the pull” they had is gone.

The people in charge of animation in the West. Now fuck off.

I don't care about the Oscars.

It's worth a shot. You'd have a point if this were some faceless, unknown creator, but that's not the case here. Lord and Miller's already have name recognition so it's not as if it would be a huge financial risk.

> the people in charge of animation in the west
> the people in charge
That’s the industry you dumb cunt, all big animations studios are branches of bigger conpanies. Do you think animated movies come from the government or colleges or something?

Bad movie was bad. Got a refund.

"The Industry"

There, you fucking chode.

Do you think Lord and Miller can just go to some kind of animation factory and ask for a movie to be made? The name recognition is only useful to bargain with the companies that actually pay for the features. If they stop seeing a return in their investments, i.e. the “shots” they took failed, then name recognition means nothing.
That’s what the “single-handedly” meant in my original post by the way, do you need me to tell you what I meant with some of the other words besides that and “continuously”?

i got some sad news for you bruh, the people in charge of the oscars broadcast are the same people in charge of two biggest animation studios in the world

Why people say the west as it wasn’t the case in Japan? Just because they got tits and blood doesn’t mean it’s for well-adjusted adults, it’s just for teenagers and manchildren. Do people think that the same kind of adults that don’t watch disney movies in the west would watch highschool magical girls?

I mean name recognition for audiences, retard idiot. Your logic here is baffling.
>If they're complaining about people thinking animation is childish, they should try making a mature film
>No, because if they fail, they won't be allowed to make anymore
We don't know whether or not they'll fail until they try. I'm saying they definitely have enough pull to make an attempt. If it sucks that's on them. Is reading comprehension so difficult for you?

Attached: En38OwoXcAA6zYl.jpg (1025x555, 53.68K)

When I look at modern animation, stuff for kids is usually the one that's grown-up, while "adult" animation is exclusively Family Guy clones and teenage bullshit like DCAMU.

Hate to be "that guy", but I see this talking point all the time on twitter and it's simply not true. Majority of kids animation is very much just juvenile slog, though that's not to say the same doesn't apply to Family Guy and co. Fact is, Sturgeon's Law is in effect here. 90% of all American animation is trash, with a few gems here and there.

> I mean name recognition for audiences
That’s worth even less.
> Your logic here is baffling
You say that as if what I said was me arguing against it instead of me just saying why it wouldn’t work. Pretty rich from you to criticise anyone’s reading comprehension. Here let me help ya:

I never argued against making adult movies, I simply said (here ) that two people alone making adult movies(the scenario presented here ) isn’t enough to solve the issue presented originally ().
Point C isn’t arguing that Point B can’t or shouldn’t happen, it’s just arguing that B doesn’t properly solve Point A.
Was that easier to comprehend mate?

> Family guy clones
How far we’ve come

Again you're assuming it won't work based on nothing but supposition. Nobody's expecting a wave of mature animation overnight. And yes audience recognition does matter, that's why they're posting Raimi's name all over the new Dr. Strange film. Original user was speaking generally, but I'm speaking specifically that Lord and Miller very much could make an adult animated movie if they wanted. They have they're own production studio and they're big names. They aren't some no-names fresh out of film school.

I really wonder why more cartoon creators don't try what the Hazbin Hotel chick did and at least try to get a pilot or short concept episode crowfunded, worst case scenario they don't meet their goal and best case they might get a big studio interested in funding their idea. I didn't follow the Hazbin situation closely so I dunno if there was something more to her creator tho

>Why not just refuse to give a fuck about the Oscars. They matter simply because people tune in.
People love trophy
Oscar give the worthy a trophy
Trophy is a recognition

And THAT's how a meme works in action.

> Nobody’s expecting a wave overnight.
Even if it’s not overnight, a “wave” isn’t what someone would call “single-handedly” isn’t it? We are back to explaining words again.
> And yes name recognition does matter.
That’s fine, I didn’t say it didn’t. I said that it was worth even “less”, not that it was worthless. “Less” alone doesn’t imply absence of value, mr. reading comprehension. Steven Spielberg (he has a bit of name recognition I reckon) was one of the worst bombs of last year. Name recognition is worth something and it definitely adds on top of other projects, but it’s clearly not enough to do things single-handedly.

> op pic literally has the guys holding oscars
> “hurr durr do you think they would behave differently if they have won oscars?”

They won't get anything adult funded from the companies because the companies think their isn't a market for adult animated feature length films that aren't based on an already existing adult animated cartoon

A lot of them do, Hazbin’s just the only successful one

I thought Capitalism bred innovation

what are you guys talking about, adult animation is already saved

Attached: bob_s_burgers_the_movie-972387144-large.jpg (810x1200, 214.42K)

Honestly, I don't know what's a good alternative, because as bad as capitalism is, at least it's motivated by what sells. With all the other alternatives, you won't get a shot at making your dream media because it "goes against the vision of the state" or "'it's degenerate and doesn't promote moral values" etc. etc.

No, a meme in action is
>two people see thing
>one references the thing
>other one laughs
And then sometimes a third person references it to get attention.

You know, capitalism isn't the exact same as it was hundreds of years ago or even just decades ago. You can improve and build on top of capitalism without going full commie.

That's a TYPE of meme, not entirely all memes.

Yes, but you know how retarded we humans are. If we weren't, then the French Revolution would be an actual greater good than the shitshow it became.

>at least it's motivated by what sells
This is a double edged sword. Clearly there is an effort for the market to cater to the lowest common denominator, which is dumb normies (how many fast and furious movies are there?). In the past there was a division between "high culture" and "low culture"; the low culture was the music being sung and played in taverns and the high culture was the music at the opera house. The low culture is a natural byproduct of society, people need entertainment so someone will tell a story or sing a song. The high culture was often funded by patronage from the aristocracy (the church, king, wealthy elites, etc.). We sort of dissolved the barriers and now we just have pop-culture. There is still pretentious art house stuff, but its rarely "elevated" like high culture in the past was and seems to be more interested in money laundering and pseudo-intellectual peacocking.

Laika could make adult animation if they wanted to. It’s literally supported by Nike money.

Yes, probably, since this is almost definitely more another jab at how the Academy Awards introduced the animated feature category as something only children enjoy and adults must endure.

Attached: 1520859268410.jpg (640x853, 62.64K)

Kind of, but only when there are objective problems that need fixing
When it comes to art and subjective stuff then no economic system can really force innovation, it just occurs naturally

Then maybe they should make movies worth taking seriously
Wes Anderson never had to justify animation as a medium, he just made movies

It's a real shame brother

>as bad as capitalism is, at least it's motivated by what sells
what if it's motivated by selling things like tickets to the biggest communist dictatorship in history?

Same reason why every video platform has a sort by rating/views option.
Some people only want to see the best.

We are not talking about art, we are talking about Hollywood.

well I guess I should have said "media" in general, but my point still stands

Make an actually mature movie then. Not a kids show or a raunchy "adult" comedy. But a serious movie with serious themes. Take advantage of animation as a medium and tell stories that'd be costly ore hard to do in live action.

Attached: beaver.png (496x360, 27.26K)

Meanwhile, the French are dabbing on our entire industry with Arcane.

NTA, but what past works would you consider to be "elevated high culture?" And how do modern pieces not come close to it? Film as a whole is fairly modern, it's barely 100 years old. Do you consider any film to be "high culture?"

> Laika supported by Nike money
> not two people
> not out of their own pocket