Copyright reform now

copyright reform now

Attached: public-domain-logo-streamlined.png (2400x760, 49.11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thepublicdomain.org/thepublicdomain1.pdf
forbes.com/sites/derekkhanna/2014/02/03/50-disney-movies-based-on-the-public-domain/?sh=a67ea48329ce
youtube.com/embed/BPIC2A_YeI0
youtube.com/embed/VvFGumd_esg
youtube.com/embed/r_7jLI1qO4Q
wikiless.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States?lang=en
slashfilm.com/832215/the-mighty-ducks-climactic-kiss-was-a-lot-less-romantic-behind-the-scenes/
manofmany.com/entertainment/movies-tv/how-quentin-tarantino-steals-from-other-movies
youtu.be/8X38TXyDPJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=Xqi9azBaTng
youtube.com/watch?v=wW6okVZuN-k
youtube.com/watch?v=0XSHWXkpIYA
youtube.com/watch?v=0pP7mhCXJ7c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'll be honest. If I created a successful IP I'd want to pass the rights on to my children like any other property.

>I want free stuff so keep making stuff that will eventually be free stuff even though I most likely don't pay for stuff anyway

I read this book recently, and it was pretty interesting.
thepublicdomain.org/thepublicdomain1.pdf
It's more than a decade old, but not much has changed.

Any right your descendants may have had ceases when the rights are given to a corporation.

Damn straight. If I make a property, I want as many people as possible to get some use out of it.

>people are so lazy and creatively bankrupt they are counting the days till they can use someone else's characters

haha yea

Attached: Disney-robin-hood-help1280-1280x1024.jpg (1280x1024, 448.24K)

Attached: victor-frankenstein-tragic-hero_df9d414ef856a760.jpg (1400x788, 69.35K)

Attached: jekyll-and-hyde.jpg (1566x2231, 2.66M)

Attached: castlevania-dracula.png (1920x1080, 2M)

Attached: rwby.jpg (1300x1300, 157.1K)

Attached: Batman-Arkham-Origins-Mad-Hatter.png (1317x1050, 1.07M)

Attached: 803977.jpg (1920x1080, 549.44K)

>ITS OKAY WHEN X CORPORATION DOES IT THOUGH
forbes.com/sites/derekkhanna/2014/02/03/50-disney-movies-based-on-the-public-domain/?sh=a67ea48329ce
>1. Adventures of Huck Finn (1993) based on Mark Twain's book (1885)
>Revenue = $24.1 million (revenue figures listed where available - based on wikipedia data).
>2. Tom and Huck (1995) based on The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (1876)
>Revenue = $23.9 million
>3. Aladdin (1992) from a folk tale in One Thousand and One Nights (1706)
>Revenue = $504 million
>4. Alice in Wonderland (1951) based on Lewis Carroll's book (1865)
>5. Alice in Wonderland (2010) based on Lewis Carroll's book (1865)
>Revenue = $1.02 billion
>6. Around the World in 80 Days (2004) based on Jules Verne's book (1873)
>Revenue = $72.2 million
>7. Atlantis (2001) from the Legend of Atlantis (Socratic Dialogues “Timaeus” & “Critias” by Plato ~360 BC.)
>8. Beauty and the Beast (1991) by G-S Barbot de Villeneuve's book (1775)
>Revenue = $425 million
>9. Bug’s Life (1998) from Aesop’s Fables
>Revenue = $363.4 million
>10. Cinderella (1950) from Charles Perrault's folk tale (Grimm’s Fairy Tails) (1697)
>Revenue = $85 million
>11. Chicken Little (2005) from the folk tale
>Revenue = $314.4 million
>12. Christmas Carol (2009) from Charles Dickens (1843)
>Revenue = $325.3 million
>13. Fantasia (1940) scored and based on Bach, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven & other classical compositions (however, “ The Rite Of Spring” was licensed)
>Revenue = $83.3 million (22nd highest-grossing film of all time as adjusted for inflation)
>14. Fantasia 2000 (1999)
>Revenue = $90.9 million

Attached: 1646299332047.png (801x1011, 187.9K)

Huck Finn from 93? Wow.

>15. Frozen (2013) from Hans Christian Anderson’s Ice Queen (1845)
>Revenue = $810.3 million
>16. Hercules (1997) from the Greek myth
>Revenue = $252.7 million
>17. In Search of the Castaways (1962) based on Jules Verne novel (1868)
>Revenue = $21.7 million
>18. John Carter (2012) based on A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1917)
>Revenue = $284 million
>19. Kidnapped (1960) by Robert Louis Stevenson (1886)
>20. Little Mermaid (1989) by Hans Christian Anderson (1837)
>Revenue = $211.3 million
>21. Lt. Robin Crusoe U.S.N. (1966) based on Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (1719)
>Revenue = $22.5 million
>22. Mulan (1998) from the Chinese Legend of Hua Mulan
>Revenue = $304.3 million
>23. Oliver & Company (1988) based on Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (1839)
>Revenue = $74 million
>24. Return to Neverland (2002) based on Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie (1904)
>Revenue = $109.9 million
>25. Pinocchio (1940) by Carlo Collodi (1883)
>Revenue = $84.3 million (39th highest grossing box office gross as adjusted for inflation)
>26. Pocahontas (1995) from the life and legend of Pocahontas
>Revenue = $346 million
>27. Princess and the Frog (2009) from the Brothers Grimm folk tale The Frog Prince
>Revenue = $267 million
>28. Return to Oz (1985) from L. Frank Baum’s books
>29. Rob Roy the Highland Rogue (1953) based on the Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott (1817)
>30. Robin Hood (1973) from the English folk tales
>Revenue = $87 million
>31. Sorcerer’s Apprentice (2010) from the poem by Johann Goethe (1797)
>Revenue = $236.9 million
>32. Snow White (1937) from the Brothers Grimm folk tale (1857)
>Revenue = $416 million (10th highest grossing film as adjusted for inflation)
>33. Sleeping Beauty (1959) from the Charles Perrault folk tale (1697) (also with music/characters from Tchaikovsky’s 1890 ballet)
>Revenue = $51.6 million) (31st highest grossing film as adjusted for inflation)
>34. Swiss Family Robinson (1960) by Johann David Wyss (1812)

Attached: Alice-disneyscreencaps.com-8247.jpg (1424x1080, 200.84K)

>35. Tangled (2010) from the Brothers’ Grimm fairy tale Rapunzel (1812)
>Revenue = $591.8 million
>36. Tarzan (1999) from Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1914)
>Revenue = $448.2 million
>37. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949) based on the Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving (1820) and Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (1908)
>38. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) from Victor Hugo’s Book (1831)
>Revenue = $325.4 million
>39. The Lion King (1994) from Hamlet (1603) and inspired from a 1960s Japanese animated series called Kimba the White Lion
>Revenue = $987.5 million
>40. The Jungle Book (1967) by Rudyard Kipling (1894 copyright, movie released just one year after copyright expired)
>Revenue = $205.8 million (30th highest grossing film with inflation)
>41. The Jungle Book (1994 live action version) by Rudyard Kipling (1894)
>Revenue = $43 million
>42. Three Musketeers (1993) by Alexandre Dumas (1844)
>Revenue = $53.9 million
>43. The Reluctant Dragon (1941) based on the story by Kenneth Grahame (1898).
>44. The Sword in the Stone (1963) from the Arthurian Legends
>Revenue = $22.2 million
>45. Treasure Planet (20002) based on Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (1883)
>Revenue = $109.6 million
>46. Muppet Treasure Island (1996) based on Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (1883)
>Revenue = $34.4 million
>47. Treasure Island (1950) based on Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (1883)
>48. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) by Jules Verne (1870)
>Revenue = $28.2 million
>49. White Fang (1991) by Jack London (1906)
>Revenue = $34.8 million
>50. White Fang 2: Myth of the White Wolf (1994) based on book by Jack London (1906)
>Revenue = $8.8 million

Attached: open-uri20150422-12561-8ht08y_fe333595.jpg (1502x2298, 725.88K)

>Anonymous 04/14/22(Thu)17:29:56 No.129969428 (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (OP)
>>people are so lazy and creatively bankrupt they are counting the days till they can use someone else's characters
all art is derivative
all scientific fields are derivative
philosophy is derivative
it all builds on top of itself slowly as time goes on, this is the natural way that humans create culture

25 years after the death of a creator for creator owned properties.

Straight 100 years for corporate owned properties.

And I will let corporations continue owning the trademark on the specific words in their name (when formed to create that name) as long as they are an operation.

No transference of rights from a private person to a corporation. As in, a person can’t have their descendants sell it to a corporation and then add 100 years to it.

I think that’s all fair.

forgot the fucking soijak
no greentext therefore i look like and say this
way to not solve anything
25 years of copyright protection
for everything wether private or corporate or whatever the fuck
no renewals
no exceptions

Attached: 1646247349159.png (698x641, 140.06K)

youtube.com/embed/BPIC2A_YeI0
youtube.com/embed/VvFGumd_esg
youtube.com/embed/r_7jLI1qO4Q

>inb4 N-NO THATS TOO SHORT!
>United States copyright law traces its lineage back to the British Statute of Anne, which influenced the first U.S. federal copyright law, the Copyright Act of 1790. The length of copyright established by the Founding Fathers was short, 14 years, plus the ability to renew it one time, for 14 more. 40 years later, the initial term was changed to 28 years.
wikiless.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States?lang=en
25 years is fucking fair, it only sounds absurd cause your mind becomes conditioned into thinking this current dystopia where corporations own everything that influences culture is normal

>I CAN USE OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK BUT YOU CANT USE MY HECKING MICKEY MOUSE THATS EXISTED FOR NEARLY A HUNDRED YEARS BECAUSE YOU JUST CANT OKAY?!?!??!?

forgot the fucking soijak again
i DO NOT look like and say this

Attached: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT MY HECKING MOUSERINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.png (389x575, 100.69K)

slashfilm.com/832215/the-mighty-ducks-climactic-kiss-was-a-lot-less-romantic-behind-the-scenes/
>i steal from every movie ever made
t. Quentin Tarrantino

Attached: f34b73e8713bf54c98c16b6400dae406.jpg (1000x543, 109.07K)

god fucking damn it im fucking retarded today
THIS is the link i meant to post
manofmany.com/entertainment/movies-tv/how-quentin-tarantino-steals-from-other-movies

The only copyright reform that is necessar yis the elimination of the public domain.

why so only giant corporations are allowed to use content?

No, everyone would be able to retain ownership and pass it on to their children. Should you lose your house to the state because the person who built it died 70 years ago? No, that's retarded. Property is property.

>No, everyone would be able to retain ownership and pass it on to their children
cool so everyone gets raped in court for deriving something from another story some bozo made 70 years ago in court and nobody can make any content because inevitably things in it will resemble content produced in the past and all ideas will continue to be exhausted until eventually no one will be able to create anything at all except giant companies
stupid faggot, am i talking to ken penders right now? that fat sack of shit needs to eat a bullet and his children too

>muh house allegory
>muh physical tangible fucking property allegory
false equivalent sophistic allegory kill yourself stupid boom brained faggot

But if I lose ownership of my house I've lost the ability to use it as I please, if I lose ownership of an idea I can still do whatever I want with it, so I haven't actually lost anything.

"owning" concepts is fucking ridiculous and tyrannical and extremely fucking childish
imagine if only one corporation was allowed to make cars because they """own""" the concept of automobiles, thats how fucking ridiculous this whole thing is, copyright protection is a necessary evil so that a person or group of people have enough time to use and profit from their ideas, that copyright later expires and no not after they're fucking dead, after 20 years or so
>hurr thats not enough time
its very damn well enough time
the reform i have in mind would benefit everyone EVEN the slimy corporations involved, the system we have in place right now benefits ONLY them and screws us over and hampers the creative culture of a society
>hurr you just wanna copy stuff you dont care about creative freedom
i care about both faggot
gee how awful of me to want a system that benefits ME, oversocialized retard, people act as if this would be a real issue but no one cares for cheap knock offs that dont do anything new, on top of making yourself look like a clown for trying to make bank off said cheap knock off, you can add your own spin on a piece of media or incorporate aspects of it into your own story without having to worry about getting ass raped in prison by some gigantic billionaire company over petty similarities
no one has dared use what is now known as """mickey mouse ears""" even though thats what a motherfucking mouses's ears look like so now artists cant make another fucking mouse character in classical style because theres simply no way around the design that would end up looking like faggot mickey
the tetris company copyrighted get this
>THE LOOK AND FEEL OF TETRIS
disney wanted to copyright characters wearing gloves
at one point a company wanted to copyright "pacman eyes"
this system is tyrannical and absurd and consistently FUCKS us over while benefiting rich fatasses

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CANT MAKE STORIES OF CHARACTERS THAT HAVE EXISTED FOR A HUNDRED YEARS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Attached: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT MY HECKING BATMANERINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.png (532x572, 25.58K)

>create unique product
>nobody buys it because will belong to the public in a few years
>even if a company does buy it they have no real incentive to take risks promoting it as it would just be doing the work for other companies who can use it in a few years
>not worth pouring my heart and soul into it myself as my kids wont own it
>nobody uses it when it goes public
vs
>create unique product
>business pays you to use it
>has sole rights to it so they spend millions if not billions of dollars making it bigger and better than you could ever imagine and promoting it globally
>it's so popular everyone starts making their own knockoffs and creating their own spins on the product making millions of dollars themselves

I agree there needs to be a decent amount of reform around copyright it's not perfect but there are advantages there for the creators and consoomers that it would be sad to lose. It's not like fans aren't already making shit in spite of copyright anyway
>youtu.be/8X38TXyDPJ4
>youtube.com/watch?v=Xqi9azBaTng
>youtube.com/watch?v=wW6okVZuN-k
>youtube.com/watch?v=0XSHWXkpIYA
>youtube.com/watch?v=0pP7mhCXJ7c

i still dont like the endless renewals of copyright, that should not even be a fucking thing
things that would otherwise be public domain by now get their copyright "renewed" out of fucking nowhere only to fall back into corporate hands, and thats with our public domain already stuck in the 19 fucking 30's, plus its only certain things that become public domain, batman isnt gonna be public domain any time soon, they'll say "oh only the concept of a vigilante dressed as a bat is public domain" or some assinine bullshit, then you cant make use of it anyways because the similarities will inevitably get you sued by powertripping giant company #34364757 for some trivial similarities, and even if they werent trivial i still think its absurd

No

why

also look at touhou and how zun lets anyone use it while still getting credit and making profit off it

also those fan films are fair use
get it? fair fucking use, im not talking about fair use "wich is important" im talking about the public domain

Nobody is going to stop you copying Batman, Batman himself is already basically a knockoff

Attached: A1yWBFSfxGL.jpg (1690x2560, 1.62M)

meant to use parenthesis instead of quotes
my brain is malfunctioning

alright, i want to use magic rings in my story and have countries fight wars over "master emeralds", gems with great magical powers, can i fucking do that? or will i get ass raped into debt in court by sega?
also
>20 years is not enough
sonic came out in the 1990s and has been printing money ever since, the owners already have enough money to last them several lifetimes, not enough time my ass

imagine a million different variations of batman all of them with copyright protection that continues getting endlessly renewed, the concept of batman has already been absolutely exhausted
now how the fuck are you gonna make a character "like" batman in the future where every conceivable variation has already been copyrighted? you fucking cant because its all owned by giant fucking corporations, do you understand why im worried? we are headed towards a future where every fucking conceivable idea will be owned by gigantic corporations endlessly renewing copyright forever and suing the living shit out of anyone that dares make something that resembles one of the thousands of pieces of media that they own

You could do that

yes i know that im "allowed" to do that but imagine if sega was a powertripping company like nintendo, we have to rely on their kindness in order to produce content that even slightly resembles their own shit
creators are not in a good position right now, maybe my idea of 20 years with no renewals is a bit extreme but thats because im reacting to an equally absurd state of affairs and my initial instinct is to take equally drastic measures to combat it, all i know is that copyright right now is a fucking joke and only benefits literal fucking billionaires hoarding intangible ideas for themselves and that is bullshit

This, I want my heirs to make money off an idea for generations. Copyright should be passed through inheritance, licensed out if the family or inheritor wants to.

no it shouldnt because then a million different bloodlines collectively own a million different ideas with NONE of them being able to be used by anybody because everybody is playing this childish game of "no you cant use this idea its mine"
also i call samefag, kill yourself penders fucking tumor

and then theres the issue of anything you finally manage to be able to use being completely and utterly irrelevant in your current day because it has lost all cultural value whatsoever, its seen as antiquated and boring making it of no practical value whatsoever
>70 fucking years after an authors death
im sorry but that is absolute fucking bullshit

I don’t. If I build a house I wanna pass it down to my kids. If I have an idea, I wanna share it with the whole world.
I think the same of you. If you tell me “this is the family farm, my granddad built it” I agree with you. If you tell me “no you CAN’T have an idea similar to an idea my granddad had” I think you’re retarded
Intellectual property shouldn’t exist at all. 100 years, 50 years, 25 years, how about copyright for zero years?

>I don’t. If I build a house I wanna pass it down to my kids. If I have an idea, I wanna share it with the whole world.
STUPID NIGGER PHYSICAL PROPERTY IS NOT THE SAME AS INTANGIBLE IDEAS FUCK OFF YOU DUMB STUPID FUCKING FAGGOT KILL YOURSELF
YOU'RE THE SAME KIND OF FAGGOT THAT USES FOOD ANALOGIES IN Yea Forums YOU STUPID NIGGER FUCK OFF

sorry i just realized i misread
my brain is fried and i keep embarrasing myself i think i should leave now
fuck current copyright

Who is penders?

You’re good man. I was trying to take their little tangible property analogy and turn it on itself

Attached: 62F6B39F-5015-4BD1-A6D9-ACD64CD88A4D.jpg (1279x517, 95.04K)

Sounds like you just want to cash in on what corporations are pumping billions of dollars into to keep relevant. No one would care about these things if it wasn't for copyright

>people in this thread acting like they would ever create anything anyway
I can guarantee most things you guys would have the ability to make falls under fair use

Attached: tranimeisnotameme.png (951x514, 1.33M)

There's no land where you can chop down trees and build your house on the very land for under $5000 in temperate climates so I say nay, I'd rather take your granddads land and let everyone live on it.

Attached: rino-pout-tanaka-kun[1].jpg (576x324, 15.69K)

zun doesnt pump billions of dollars into touhou faggot
toby doesnt pump billions of dollars into undertale

So everything that requires actual talent that you create all on your own should belong to the world but something like land is yours forever? Makes no sense, either be socialist or don't but if anything the land should fall to the public much sooner than an idea

Undertale is just Earthbound, you can rip off whatever you want user

Anything tangible can be passed down
I own my shirt. If I give it to someone else, it’s their shirt.
Ideas are ideas. They’re ether, they’re utterly intangible.

theres an encyclopedia dramatica article about him but ed's been pruned so many times i cant find it

Which is why they need protecting, money is made up but you can pass that down

is there a license that states that when i die all my works become public domain? i wanna license my works with it or leave it in my will

Wait why should you get copyright at all then?

Your ideas wont be worth shit anyway user, these laws are for real creators

keep projecting your insecurities faggot