Why do people still to this day pretend that they like Archie Sonic better than IDW Sonic...

Why do people still to this day pretend that they like Archie Sonic better than IDW Sonic? IDW Sonic sticks far closer to the game canon and characterizations than Archie, which completely ignored the plots from the games in order to force their awful OCs on people. IDW shows what you can do by actually working in tandem with Sonic Team to produce better stories, while Archie was just fanfiction gone wrong. Plus, IDW has a much richer cast of original characters than IDW ever had, and does so without making them outshine the game characters.

I haven't followed IDW in a while, but I appreciate that it exists now instead of Archie.

Attached: 1641810205203.jpg (2063x3131, 1.15M)

Archie had less restrictions and the status quo was able to change

And it changed for the worst.

>less restrictions
You people are fucking delusional if you believe this. Ian is full of shit.

On the topic of different Sonic continuities, I'm curious - how many sidekicks has Robotnik had now?

I can think of the following:

-Snively (SatAM/Archie)
-Grimer (Sonic the Comic)
-Scratch & Grounder (AoStH)
-Orbot & Cubot (Boom)
-Dr. Starline (IDW)
-Agent Stone (Movie)

Were there any others?

Attached: EOcFPtgX4AIj6fw.jpg (713x885, 101.04K)

Orbot and Cubot are the worst of them all

Those two guys from Underground.

they're mercenaries. Don't count

Decoe, Bocoe, and Bokkun from X

Furry fetishists find the art style of Archie more appealing. Also there's a slight undercurrent of "japan bad" xenophobia at play.
That and autism. Mountains and mountains of autism.

It's Underground, they don't count. Let it stay six feet under.

the cover you posted literally has the IDW ocs outshining the game characters

But its drawn by an official Sonic Team artist. Did Archie ever get that?

Technically those IDW ocs *are* game characters.

>IDW has a much richer cast of original characters than IDW ever had,

correct

simultaneously rich and poor at the same time

I meant archie and you know it you pedantic fuck

or do you?

IDW immediately shot itself in the foot by following up Forces, which was literally a 06-tier disaster, created a bunch of dumb OCs because they couldn't be assed to actually fully utilize the game characters, and has fallen into Penders-tier bullshit where the OCs dominate the focus since the game characters are locked into stasis. Archie Sonic at least had the excuse of adapting the cartoons and never being married to the games. IDW Sonic has no such excuse. And the first decade of Archie Sonic's bullshit resulted in a time period where they overcorrected and pushed the game characters hard since they had been underutilized, which not coincidentally at all resulted in the best time period of the Archie comic. IDW Sonic again is doing the opposite, pushing the OCs more than the game cast.

I don't give a fuck if it's the writers' decisions, editorial decisions, or Sega's decisions, all I know is that's the end result. IDW Sonic is better than the absolute worst of Archie Sonic but that bar is in the ground, and it hasn't come close to the best of Archie Sonic despite existing for four years now.

When did Archie not focus on game characters? Sonic was always the main character and Knuckles had a whole series of his own. Other than Amy, who was pretty much a non-character until Adventure, nobody else even existed until Sonic Adventure 2.

"Being the main character" means nothing if nothing they do actually drives forward the story, which instead is dominated by the actions of OCs. The Knuckles comic for example wasn't even about Knuckles, it was Knuckles wandering around while everyone else does things around him.

>When did Archie not focus on game characters
Outside of Shadow, only in Sonic Universe, but for the longest time the only game characters the comics ever focused on was Sonic, Knuckles, and to a much lesser extent, Tails.

Attached: _comm__jfk_cosmo_by_monochromecosmo_de89rar-fullview.png (1280x1048, 758.83K)

Each bait thread is worse than the last.

Last year's Storytime really got some anons thinking.

Attached: 1576068732330.jpg (530x298, 41.67K)

just like the games?

Idw is pretty shit honestly.
I don't even think Archie is what sonic comics should be like, I just think IDW is also a terrible direction.

Yeah, Flynn is just Penders if Penders used his Autism to manipulate other autists instead of turning it on corporations.

Attached: de22x8r-15fc2c01-036e-42d7-9b28-9d2e573aed38.png (2000x1600, 1.59M)

Attached: tumblr_03cb87a8435a3ba663e5f6356f19fd8c_cece8e9d_1280.jpg (754x705, 131.54K)

>Why do people still to this day pretend that they like Archie Sonic better than IDW Sonic

Archie was a hot dumpster fire, but it was MY hot dumpster fire and I can't forgive them for just ending it without at least letting them cut together SOME sort of ending.

>IDW has a much richer cast of original characters than IDW ever had

Thinking of good baits you mean ?

Oh please, most people have already forgotten Forces even existed. You are completely insane if you think it’s on 06’s level. It’s almost been 20 years and 06 is still universally considered the worst Sonic game.

>most people have already forgotten Forces even existed

So has Sega.

Attached: tumblr_621182654586d3cc7cd4639c0e6922da_55cd90a9_1280.jpg (1076x802, 176.63K)

Read your post first before responding.

Because it’s worst crime is being short, and boring. 06 was this huge broken dumpster fire released for Sonic’s 15th anniversary.

Archie is dead. Get over it. You have something better now.

Attached: df3iygr-82973ef9-f466-4dfe-915c-6314f2b3e270.jpg (2024x2402, 2.94M)

The fact no one remembers Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis says a lot.

Its just a bad port. Theres plenty of those out there. (You ever see Earrthworm Jim on the GBA?) 06 and Forces were terrible AND new.

The current imposter syndrome arc features only OCs. The previous camping arc featured all OCs aside from Amy. The game characters never do shit but job in this book.

Sally is dead and never coming back lol

>ow boy I can't wait to read the Sonic comic where there's no fucking Sonic in it
>I should also read the other Sonic comic coming out with no fucking Sonic in it

Attached: 9808057B-0F39-4CB8-994C-A8CEB1673411.gif (498x494, 3.12M)

>there's a slight undercurrent of "japan bad" xenophobia at play.
Not liking anime makes you racist?

In my opinion it's the 06 of Sonic handheld games and it was meant to commemorate Sonic's 15th anniversary.

Nintendo essentially remastered the classic Mario games with the "Advance" series which were all solid games. Sega could barely shit out a genesis port for the GBA.

I believe one of the developers for Sonic Mania actually fixed all the issue for Sonic Genesis.

I don't know why I'm still a Sonic fan.

Attached: 1649571046841.png (449x480, 161.8K)

Sally’s in IDW, she’s just in Amy’s body.

>and it was meant to commemorate Sonic's 15th anniversary.

So was 06. Anyway, it was just laziness: they slapped Sonic 1's content into Sonic Advance's engine, and they didn't get along.

You must've hated Sonic Universe then.

Attached: cream_gets_a_sister__color__by_zizum_defq1ie-fullview.jpg (1280x1134, 234.44K)

Honestly, they weren’t that bad. Probably the least awful thing about the show.

Snively>Agent Stone>Sleet and Dingo>Grinder>Scratch and Grounder>Orbot and Cubot>Dr. Starline

>Nu-Amy is Sally, she has all her traits!
>Implying that telling people to do shit was exclusively Sally thing

Exactly , and some people liked this change while bashing Sally.

Attached: breezie_the_hedgehog_by_violetstardoesart_depr3gi-fullview.jpg (1280x1280, 206.4K)

What about Mecha ?

>Sonic Advance's engine

I didn't know it was running on the same engine. I'm not "autistic" enough to do my own research anymore so I'll take your word for it.

Why do people keep making this same thread?

Yeah no the comic still game focus minus the whisper/tangle mini

Attached: IDW48CoverB1[1].jpg (2063x3131, 2.02M)

I dont mind them, they keep the autism off the storytime threads.

>The porting team was disallowed from using the source code and instead was made to port the game using the Sonic Advance engine (an engine that was never meant to handle the number of sprites present in your average 16-bit Sonic game), leading to hilarious glitches ensuing

>Never say never, no one expected the hated controversial character Venus from Ninja Turtles to EVER come back and yet Venus returned.
Anger is more memorable than apathy. It's not that people hate Sally (although her fans are doing their best to change that it's that they're just kinda boring.
Not to mention it comes down to what Sega is interested in, and Sega would rather focus on memes and shitposts (they seem to especially love the 'sanic' meme) than acknowledge SatAM. Probably because when they do Penders starts begging.
But also would archie fans really be happy if the Freedom Fighters got the IDW treatment that Venus is getting?
>All we need to do is wait for the old dementia ridden corpses that run Sega Japan to start dying off like they should and then you get more open minded modern era Japanese businessmen in charge.
Oh. You're one of those guys. How about you show me on your creepy skeleton doll where the japanese devs touched you?

Attached: croppedimage1201631-sonic-sanic-header.jpg (1201x631, 385.07K)

Nah, I just think it's pretty telling how often people in defense of archie/satam blame sega of japan for not pandering to their tiny, unprofitable, problematic niche part of the franchise.

Eh, lower tier.
But Snively’s the best, and Starlite’s the worst.

same energy

Attached: rich.jpg (1440x1242, 328.45K)

The bad guys mini was all OCs aside from Zavok too. IDW is just Archie with less Echidnas.

Less echidnas and a more franchise cohesive design sensibility. Which is important as that helps explain why it's getting the merch and game cameos.