How do you feel about classic costumes? Do they translate well to live action? I find it charming

How do you feel about classic costumes? Do they translate well to live action? I find it charming.
Characters like Superman can pull the look well, as long as the actor is fit.

Attached: TrueAnal.jpg (1920x1920, 2.72M)

When they aren't intentionally made to look like shit, they're fine.

I hate how the MCU does it ironically. I really wish we'd move past this phase of making superhero costumes all these drab affairs. That said they're getting better lately. I actually really liked the Phase 1 costumes, then around Winter Soldier every new costume started becoming very similar.
Unironically missing the 90's era of rubbery costumes sculpted like muscles. Weird to think Watchmen was the last movie to really use that.

>Best live-action suit by far
>Will probably be sidelined by the black suit next time
It's not fair

Attached: c8baxvn91el81.jpg (772x1102, 57.24K)

I like classic costumes, but changing/modernizing them is fine as long as the new costume doesn't look like shit.
I hate when shows/games/whatever dress a character in their classic costume just to make a "this looks so stupid!" joke

I love classic costumes, they can look good if they’re treated with genuine care.

1994 Fantastic Four did it pretty well for the budget it had (and being an indie film on top of it).

Attached: 71C87D77-8476-4E09-9177-71AAF0B3F475.jpg (575x870, 77.78K)

Mask on cap sucks. Everything else is fine

>How do you feel about classic costumes? Do they translate well to live action?
Not in the MCU, because they're intentionally made to be the punchline to a joke rather than an actual costume.

DC does a decent job with them, though.

Attached: SSV_Stargirl.jpg (2048x1463, 583.86K)

Wanda's headpiece here is unironically better than the final product

It was literally just a CGI model running around. Picrel is just photo-realistic artwork, are you blind?

Shit sucks and doesn't make sense in present time

>Not in the MCU, because they're intentionally made to be the punchline to a joke rather than an actual costume
The take on Captain America's costume was great.

>doesn't make sense
so the whole living for 80 years in ice and coming out with no brain/tissue damage is fine, but wearing his original costume is where it crosses the line?

Attached: 1583860412733.jpg (681x496, 38.64K)

You mean another aforementioned punchline to a joke?

No thanks.

this.

Attached: 1646434715558.jpg (1118x1525, 164.2K)

make the collars a bit smaller and lift the logos and it's perfect. As is, Sue looks like shit.

I think the captain America suit actually looks pretty good, but something about the neck/head piece makes it look goofy.

Classic costumes are usually solid blocks of color with incredibly strong silhouettes that usually don't translate well to reality. Peacemaker has a pretty solid comic book-y costume and the helmet looks so goofy in action that they usually have John Cena take it off and he is also inherently in a comedic series.

Give Batman this suit and try to run it like Battinson and it would look so stupid

Attached: robindisplay-56e0a3ad5f9b5854a9f85981.jpg (652x527, 110.71K)

the studios tell me they don't look good, therefore i know in my heart that they don't. they look retarded and anyone who thinks that the film costumes look bad is objectively wrong for disagreeing with the people who worked very very hard in making these films.

I would prefer it any day to the soulless leather shit of the X-Men films. I don’t see how it’s such a stretch in a fantastical universe to have colourful or retro costumes. It’s usually only an issue with the actresses who are shapeless prudes and have zero interest in the characters they’re playing or the legacy involved with them.

>It’s usually only an issue with the actresses who are shapeless prudes and have zero interest in the characters they’re playing or the legacy involved with them.
100% this.

It usually doesn't fit well into modern settings, but I'd rather have comicbook movies take place in heavily stylized golden/silver age places anyway.

With a bit of texture work, it should be fine. The Arkham Asylum costume, for example, is pretty straightforward and I think it would look fine in live action as long as the actor fills it out properly. I don't think it would be much different than the Snyder costume in terms of practical considerations (and I like that costume, too, maybe with the crisscrossing toned down a bit).

I will say that I'm strongly biased against tacticool armor Batman, though, so I'll automatically give bonus points to anything that isn't that.

I don't mind the propaganda film Captain America costume that much in a general sense, but I feel like it's the kind of costume that straddles the line and needs the rest of the costumes in the the film/series to match for it not to look ridiculous. I don't think it would work next to, say, the Iron Man armor as it was in the films.

The USO costume isn't a joke, and Joe Johnston is probably the last person who'd make that kind of joke in the first place.

The helmet looks goofy in comics too. I get what they were going for with it, but it's a total misfire.

>Not in the MCU, because they're intentionally made to be the punchline to a joke rather than an actual costume.
Literally never happened, keep coping DCuck

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 246.42K)

You just know they only made Peacemaker's costume accurate as a joke, it's kind of sad an outdated. After failing to make a comic universe work to see a company go straight to parodying Marvel's comic accuracy is just embarrassing

Anything can be translated from the page to the screen. Anything. The main problem is they rarely try, and even when they do it's a one-off joke or intentionally hokey before moving on to the modernized costumes.

I'm so fucking tired of hollywood designers and casual wannabe yes-men online trying to dictate what would and wouldn't work in real life when the whole point is to bring fantasy into reality. If you seriously think they can spend millions making a CGI set piece look realistic but they can't make lenses in Batman's cowl work, you're full of shit. Simple as.

Sovl

>The USO costume isn't a joke
no, but it is the punchline of a joke--which is what I claimed.

>Literally never happened
it's literally referenced in the OP image, you reality-denying lunatic.
>keep coping DCuck
so, you're one of those brainlets who think like picrel? must be nice to be such a lazy thinker.

Attached: 1625173871248.jpg (540x405, 26.54K)

This.
Even the goofiest costumes can work in film, it’s just that executives can’t be bothered.

>it's literally referenced in the OP image, you reality-denying lunatic.
Neither of those are punchlines, they are nice references to the classic costumes played straight and are used to inspire their comic accurate costumes both times. Captain America's is still admired in universe.
The MCU has made punchlines out of the costumes before in the Netflix shows which would be a much better example

Attached: maxresdefault_Y4d5Uvy.jpg (1200x675, 102.64K)

Attached: cr.jpg (794x992, 136.71K)

A bulletproof alien wearing bulletproof alien clothes can get away with wearing "spandex" user

>Neither of those are punchlines, they are nice references to the classic costumes played straight
Cap literally wears that outfit only to get ridiculed and emasculated by the other soldiers. That's the only time he gets to wear it.

Yup, totally not a punchline.

Attached: hokay.gif (408x225, 1.76M)

it's fucking superhero fiction, user--anybody can "get away" with anything.

And then continues to wear what is essentially the same costume but more practical retard

>what is essentially the same costume
>goalpost: MOVED
tacticool garbage isn't "essentially the same"; it ruins the aesthetic.

Attached: 1507442818446.png (249x253, 93.85K)

Missing the point, the costume doesn't have to be drab and dull. When I saw MAN OF STEEL, people in the audience were wearing brighter colors than Superman.

Attached: image.png (2001x2401, 3.82M)

Attached: images.jpg (212x238, 6.67K)

One thing tho keep in mind about classic costumes is their colors. Oftentimes classic costumes were more vividly colored to pop out of the page, which works in illustrations. In movies it could work too, but turning down the saturation at a bit can be a minor change to make it less “goofy”.
An example is this pretty faithful Hawkeye cosplay/concept.

Attached: F8D7B795-67B0-4D06-9BC4-B5A5760ED66E.png (673x1052, 1.21M)

It wasn't a punchline is my only point

... and?

>In movies it could work too, but turning down the saturation at a bit can be a minor change to make it less “goofy”.
it always just makes it look worse instead.

Attached: download (3).jpg (191x264, 9.79K)

That's garbage and exactly what the MCU would have done if comic Hawkeye wouldn't have moved away from that suit years ago, it was literally goofy not just by readers but in the comics by other characters shortly after it appeared

Well, you haven't made that point, is my point.

The costume was only used once, and they abandoned it for tacticool shit because they're too self-conscious/ashamed of the source material to allow Cap to just have his actual original costume instead of some version of it that's adapted for the palettes of normies.

Attached: 1494260916535.png (324x271, 5.22K)

Hey, wait a minute...

What was in that Super-Soldier serum anyway?

Attached: download (4).jpg (201x251, 12.66K)

>TIL Impossible Burger and Super-Soldier Serum are made from the same secret formula

Attached: 1502110988932.gif (256x256, 352.29K)

It's also studio executives having to change details to justify their salaries.

Fair enough. I used Hawkeye as an example since his original costume already had darkish colors that could transition a bit easier to film than say the colors of Superman’s costume.

True, but on that reason alone they could just do what the comics do--offer variations that remain within the same general style.

Hell, I'd be fine with tacticool if it were a one-off suit, but it's the fucking default for every goddamn superhero these days--especially Captain America.

>The costume was only used once
No he wore it for all the propaganda stuff, he wore it around base, he wore it to go save the soldiers before swapping it out for the next more practical costume which looks the same. And then he wore it again in more historical photos and propaganda and in Homecoming.
The idea that all these suits are wildly different is weird, am I missing something? They look the same to me. Never was used as a punchline itself

Attached: b4ceecdb233c39f215785e021d7e7590.jpg (612x433, 57.96K)

Those are tacticool adaptations of the suit. The original suit is only used once--for a gag.

How the fuck is 2012 tacticool????

Fast food has more chemicals in it already than any serum, though.

Attached: 300.jpg (231x300, 20.02K)

my brother in christ it's the same suit (besides TWS)

How is it not? Look at the buckles and needless seams and padding; pure tacticool.

the only problem with the original suit that they used for a joke was the cowl--which would've been an easy fix. it unironically looks better than every other MCU cap costume.

What was the gag? I must have missed that part of the movie

Attached: CAPTAIN+MURRIKA.jpg (1000x1550, 508.81K)

Come on, Alan, get a grip.

Attached: 1796216_600.jpg (400x298, 37.47K)

It isn't, though. The suit featured in the OP isn't actually worn into battles. An adapted, tacticool version of it is.

It's worn into battle once, what's wrong with something more practical after that though? He is at fucking war and he looked cool. It's still the same costume design

the soldiers basically think he's a queer and make fun of him while he's on stage promoting war bonds. then the costume never gets used again; instead switching to a tacitcool version of it.

Yes. Well, moving on...

Attached: download (5).jpg (183x275, 10.56K)

>what's wrong with something more practical after that though
It looks bad.

Attached: chadly.jpg (912x1024, 71.21K)