Serious Sonic is... le bad!

>Serious Sonic is... le bad!

Attached: 1648428029969(1).jpg (540x458, 51.23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gHwHiymSojk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>the horrors of war
>as our hero rolls around like a ball

There were other moments in archie sonic that were serious and don't get memed like this panel. Not only do we have a very silly looking Sonic wheel juxtaposed with what is supposed to be a serious scene, they also decide to spell out just how super serious and deep this moment is instead of actually just letting us understand that by the character's own actions, expressions and dialogue. It would have been a lot more impactful that way.

Yes, the comics have no sense of tonal consistency. It's fucking whiplash when Sonic goes from
>WHOA WAY PAST COOL
to
>I finally understand the meaning of war

>For the first time Sonic is devoid of HUMOR
>For the first time in his life Sonic truly understands the meaning of WAR
>while this plays in the background
youtube.com/watch?v=gHwHiymSojk

Yes.

Attached: tumblr_inline_ppqodb9yQT1qglk3d_640.png (628x653, 829.19K)

Like if u cri every tiem

Attached: af9.png (339x341, 212.08K)

>Wanting a story to be any higher than cheap entertainment is le bad!!

>sonic is good if you turn le brain off

Making an Echidna Hitler and putting mein Kampf quotes in your story for children about bright red echidnas from a video game is le bad, yes.

Attached: 0_axprx89KNSyatshh.png (540x524, 401.97K)

>I turned myself into a donut, Tails! I'm Donut Sonic!

>Adding mature themes into a cutesy and colorful children's story is bad even though that goes against literally all of children's storytelling in all of human history.

>Adding mature themes into a cutesy and colorful children's story
That's not adding mature themes. That's pasting random shit into your comic without understanding what you're doing in the desperate hope retards will think your story is deeper than it actually is.

>Reductionism
"Adding mature themes" can be good or bad depending on the themes and how they are handled
The way Penders handled them is objectively shit
You are a faggot

Attached: tumblr_ppqn0eFkPW1u4is2oo1_400.png (333x273, 185.98K)

Sonic Adventure 2 was serious. This is just ironic.

I love this image. Even ignoring the WWII stuff, we have:
>A pro technology guy with a fucking sword
>The entire audience is making loser hand gestures
>The mind controlled councilor looks pregnant
>That "are you seeing this shit" look from the cat
>Speech guy is wearing a Star Trek communicator
>The letterer doing his best with the gothic font
And this is just a single panel!

Anybody got Knuckles' funeral?

This is just what SatAMfags bring to the table.

Coping lol

Bitch

Attached: F89E7891-EDC5-4C8E-B83E-9119588FA99B.jpg (828x604, 486.78K)

Bad when its done by Penders and Bollers, kino when done by everyone else

>This thread AGAIN
Yes, Sonic being serious is ridiculous and laughable

No Aesop's Fables or Redwall is not analogous you hyper-autist

Yes, Pender's serious Sonic is "le bad" because he handles drama with all the subtly and nuance of a cinder block.

>Archie Sonic is better than IDW So-

Attached: RougeArchieIDW.jpg (1686x920, 392.14K)

>No Aesop's Fables or Redwall is not analogous you hyper-autist
How are they not analogous?

It's an autism test. Show it to your grown ass son and ask him if this is the same as Platoon.

Foxes are sneaky and steal shit I don't
blame anyone for not speaking up.

Why do you always use this picture to make this point?

holy TnA, Batman!

kids have to learn about hitler sooner or later, user.

Sonic being serious is fine. Being a blue stylized hedgehog doesn't mean a story can't have some sort of depth or intrigue.
The Adventure Games are good examples of Sonic storytelling being serious. They expand on the industrialization, anti-authority, and anti-corporate themes that were already in the prior games and built on them.
The Echidnas looking to control nature envoke Chaos' wrath, and the havok Perfect Chaos brought to Station Square led to G.U.N's militarization against any and all similar threats with seemingly no regard for who and what they hurt to keep things like Eggman and Chaos from happening again.
The themes and story is there, and while the Adventure Games took their stories seriously, they aren't taking themselves seriously.

when i read these comics i was like...in middle school.

i liked mario when i was a kid but then when i got older i switched to sonic because he was edgier and cooler.

>Anyone who writes this stuff and makes the character act sexual or flirtaous needs to get labotomized or shot inbthe face

Amyone felt like Ian Flynn Writing Sonic was just him self inserting into Sonic?

>slapping ww2 references with the grace of a bulldozer is good writing

thats honestly why the adventure games work: they manage to put in serious themes in a way that fits with the games and without sacrificing what makes the characters themselves.

Because he's baiting, and he can't do that with a good-written story.

>while the Adventure Games took their stories seriously, they aren't taking themselves seriously.
The fuck does this even mean?

Serious Sonic is just immature.
Now you ask yourself
>how can be immature if it has mature settings and consequences and characters?
It's because you have already simplistic characters, story, and setting and purposely making it dark for the sake of maturity. That in its self is actually immature because of a want to be mature.
It's like when kids think that saying fuck a lot makes them sound darker and cooler because it's a bad word and only adults can say it.

Adding edgey plots and characters to an already established happy fun setting and changing characters to fit that edgy tone for the sake of maturity, is just an immature phase of people's lives not accepting that what you liked before was childish and fun.

The true mature thing to do is to accept things for what they are through personal growth.
Being edgy and dark is an immature phase we all go through because we want to be taken seriously for the age we represent. But through the actions of those who are going through the edgy phase comes off as immature and a lack of understanding of the world around them.
It's experience that later defines maturity and that's the major thing that edgy kids face in said phase face.
After you grow up, your realize how cringey you were in all your attempts to make something you enjoyed edgey because of this obsession of this perceived notion of maturity.

I think being so concerned with "branding" (is it appropriate for Sonic to have mature themes or these things in it? Or Mario? Or what about Pokemon?) is sign of corporatist brain-rot where storytelling has been monopolized by IP-holders and the extent of media criticism by their target audiences isn't with respect to art's meaning but instead whether or not it's "on-brand". You'd have children's stories all throughout history where animals maim each other or little kids were devoured by demons, cute aesthetics that go dark by the end, but what apparently counts as legitimate criticism now is to point out that something that looks childish goes to dark places and how awful that is for a children's IP.

This autist has made the same thread a dozen times making the same points about how fairy tales have animals so they are mature or something

Dont waste your time

Sonic by his very nature is silly. He's a blue supersonic hedgehog. Trying to ground that in 'realism' is stupid, but just because Sonic can never be anything more than fantasy doesn't mean that you can't focus on making the characters or story engaging.
It helps the Adventure Games that they didn't focus on things like "Le Meaning of Life" and just built on things that Sonic has always been about; rebellious, pro-nature, and anti-authority.

Using actual human atrocities as cheap window dressing for your shit fanfic is bad, Penders.

Nobody said anything about grounding Sonic in realism. You're specifically talking about having a Sonic plot with supposedly "Edgy" or "Mature" themes in it and saying that, by itself, is inherently bad. Asserting that putting mature themes in a children's story is wrong or misguided is basically at odds with most storytelling throughout human culture in almost any other time period and is probably the perspective of a sanitized person brought up on junk television and media, or whatever their excuse might be, ignorant of culture.
>"B-but Maria dies, that's so edgy!!"
Uh-huh. And? That’s bad because….cartoon game characters are escapist fantasy stories that shouldn’t deal with anything beyond the most basic power struggles? Again, totally unlike fairy tales throughout history over thousands of years where animals and children were killed or murdered or eaten etc etc, right? But video game characters must be pure because, why, exactly?
Sonic Adventure 2 is far more thematically and tonally similar to a traditional children's story than what passes for kids entertainment in mass media today.
Essentially there's no fucking way that these people would ever appreciate or recommend to a child Hans Christian Andersen, Liaozhai zhiyi, Brothers Grimm, Ozaki's "Japanese Fairy Tales", and so on. They admire a sanitized, simplistic world and consider the introduction of any supposedly "mature" themes a tonal intrusion. What they don't recognize is that this position is genuinely a 20th/21st-century sheltered-kid puritanical position that goes against the entire history of children's storytelling. Their criticism of Sonic Adventure 2 is focused solely on the fact that depression and grief has no place in a cartoonish world, but when cute animals dealt with these things in stories all over the world for centuries, I have to wonder how many other works in how many other cultures would be considered to be shit by their standards.

You are TALKING ABOUT A MASCOT MADE TO SELL TOYS TO CHILDREN WHO EATS CHILI DOGS

IT AINT THAT DEEP BRO

Attached: Introducing-the-Sonic-2-toy-collectibles.jpg (900x900, 164.01K)

>Wanting something to be higher than cheap entertainment is bad

>"SEIG HEIL! SIEG HEIL! SIEG HEIL!"
What did Knuckles Sr. meant by this?

Attached: 1491255652144.png (186x134, 1.76K)

i never hated the serious stories. i just hate Penders' art, also too many echidnas

You better not be talking shit about Aesop. You should learn from his wisdom.

Talk about brain rot. This has nothing with being on brand and shit like that, you're far too obsessed with your paltry war on capitalism.
It's all about intent, Sonic was not a character designed to work with dark and serious stories in the same way those old children stories weren't designed to be cutesy.
Design also has a lot to do with it as well, you simply can't make a serious story with a 3ft talking anthropomorphic blue hedgehog and you can't exactly change the design from that because the design is half of what sonic is. Something like the little mermaid is vague enough to go by that you can have extreme amounts of creative liberties.

>Serious Sonic is... le bad!
Yes.
Serous Sonic...AND Pokemon series, now THAT I can get behind.

You still haven't explained why a serious sonic is good.

Redwall has moments of levity in an otherwise serious story (feasts, singing, etc.) that fit within the universe. When characters are serious one moment then silly the next, it feels consistent. It's never melodramatic or overblown.
For Sonic to be going "HAHA SMELL YA LATER SMEGMAN!" then going "My god, the robots I've killed, the friends I've lost, nobody is safe from the horrors of war..." it's fucking hilarious.
In Redwall when they fight, it's always serious. When Sonic fights, it's always silly - until the writers decide for some reason it isn't.

>This has nothing with being on brand and shit like that, you're far too obsessed with your paltry war on capitalism.
It has everything to with branding. Caring about muh franchise and creating a cult around certain aspects of it, is the real brainrot.
>It's all about intent, Sonic was not a character designed to work with dark and serious stories in the same way those old children stories weren't designed to be cutesy.
Sonic already had hints of a darker story going as far back as the game manual of Sonic 2. The stories treated themselves without a speck of irony and were more like a shounen plot.
>Design also has a lot to do with it as well, you simply can't make a serious story with a 3ft talking anthropomorphic blue hedgehog and you can't exactly change the design from that.
Why? Your lack of suspension of disbelief is not an argument. I genuinely want to know what's the issue. Mickey Mouse was adapted to serious stories in a similar fashion.

Archie Sonic sought to create a massive interconnected world which you can't do if your story runs on nonsense and puns.

Dont worry OP they made a game just for you!

All of your arguments indicate you think this would be good. So go have fun with your shitty edgelord game.

Attached: Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Coverart.png (256x326, 200.5K)

I think that kids grow up to be horribly maladjusted, belligerent, and immature adults like yourself in part because they don't experience darker stories as kids and are instead coddled by feel good distractions.

Attached: 1629686106652(2).png (1343x1726, 3.84M)

Literally what the fuck do you want

Why does a dark story HAVE to be Sonic? There are 10000 other stories for kids, Sonic doesnt need to be dark. I think you are just embarrassed you like a toddler series for autists and this is some kind of giga-cope.

There is a reason why these stories have survived for thousands of years. They are important.

Attached: lamb and wolf.jpg (850x400, 42.49K)

Are you that fag that keeps making threads whining about how people shit on edgy media

>Why does a dark story HAVE to be Sonic? There are 10000 other stories for kids, Sonic doesnt need to be dark. I think you are just embarrassed you like a toddler series for autists and this is some kind of giga-cope.

Why CAN'T there be a dark Sonic story? This is what I mean about branding. You don't think it fits Sonic as a "franchise", so you don't like it. There's plenty of other iterations of the series that you can enjoy, yes?

What the fuck are you talking about, so just the tone of a franchise doesnt matter and you should do whatever with any series?

Look forward to the Seinfield reboot that has the same tone as Breaking Bad

With the way things are going you probably won't be able to teach it in school soon

>It has everything to with branding
No, no it doesn't. You're the only one who thinks it is.
>Sonic already had hints of a darker story going as far back as the game manual of Sonic 2
There's a difference between dark and serious user. Unleashed was dark because Eggman mutated sonic and shattered the planet, Colors was dark because he stole the planet of the wisps and drained their energy which corrupted them beyond recognition.
No one in their right mind would call these games serious.
>Mickey Mouse was adapted to serious stories in a similar fashion.
No, no he wasn't. The closest was probably Runaway Brain and it was played for laughs.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

>I think that kids grow up to be horribly maladjusted, belligerent, and immature adults like yourself
Is this being said ironically?

>Why CAN'T there be a dark Sonic story?
There are plenty of dark sonic stories. What you want is a serious one and you simply can't have a fucking snarky blue hedgehog deliver serious lines the juxtaposition of those two things only have the opposite effect with people either laughing or cringing at how bad it is.
It's the thematic equivalent of jamming in a puzzle piece from a different set.

>No, no it doesn't. You're the only one who thinks it is.
Then what other reason would you have to defend a franchise this fervently?

>No, no he wasn't. The closest was probably Runaway Brain and it was played for laughs.

>You have no idea what you're talking about.
>Epic Mickey doesn't exist apparently

>What the fuck are you talking about, so just the tone of a franchise doesnt matter and you should do whatever with any series?
You unironically sound like someone who'd complain that Alan Moore ruined Charlton characters with Watchmen. If you don't like a new adaptation, then don't watch. Emotionally being attached to a series is a bad thing and will only lead to stagnation.

Attached: charlton_comics_o_watchmen_by_rommelglz_dcqi2yj-fullview.jpg (600x900, 145.36K)

>Is this being said ironically?
Yes.

It's just a facet of life worth dealing with in art like anything else. Kids are human beings not some other creature, they've been able to experience and appreciate fairy tales with so-called "mature" themes for centuries in cultures all over the world. Coddled westerners raised on corporation-created dopamine-delivery-vehicles are the anomaly here. You ask them? The answer is of course: none, because these people are almost certainly culturally illiterate and their only other point of comparison for children's stories is other children's video games like Super Mario.

>Why CAN'T there be a dark Sonic story?
Because we have a shitload of those and it's been proven time and time again to not fucking work. Even when the games tried to go back to being serious with Forces, it blew up in its face. Meanwhile Mania was a lighthearted romp and it was one of the best games in the series.