She-Ra 1985 vs 2018

Hordak and Adora are more interesting when they're dad and daughter.
Entrapta is more interesting when she and Hordak are a couple.
Mermista is more interesting as a defrosting ice queen to Sea Hawk.
Catra is a more interesting villain as Adora's bully than her generic villainy in the original cartoon, but this also makes shipping them deeply wrong even if they weren't sisters.
Shadow Weaver's role as Catra's mom was much more interesting than her fleeting psychological effect on Adora.
Original Frosta is better than reboot Frosta.
Original Glimmer was such a mess that reboot wins just for having characterization and consistent power use. Not sold on the Bow ship having any importance.
Anything else?

Attached: 2018-Hordak-protective.jpg (720x776, 57.98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6jivbujh9cE
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL4Rkv1GmvjparUCXNY7nZPn_KH-s6_vS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Anything else?

Thr original Castaspella has a more interesting story than being Glimmer's asian aunt. Her backstory of how she becomes Queen of Mystacor is more interesting genderbend "return of the King" story.

>Catra is a more interesting villain as Adora's bully than her generic villainy in the original cartoon, but this also makes shipping them deeply wrong even if they weren't sisters.

Adora and Catra's relationship is more interesting as a sisterly bond gone awry.

Prime brainwashing her and constantly calling her "little sister" to rile up Adora would have had more impact.

>Thr original Castaspella has a more interesting story than being Glimmer's asian aunt. Her backstory of how she becomes Queen of Mystacor is more interesting genderbend "return of the King" story.
Oh yeah, the episode "Enchanted Castle" was way more interesting by itself than all of Nu Castaspella.
youtu.be/6jivbujh9cE

>Adora and Catra's relationship is more interesting as a sisterly bond gone awry.
>Prime brainwashing her and constantly calling her "little sister" to rile up Adora would have had more impact.
Yeah, I can see that. On the other hand, while Shadow Weaver's parenting was certainly interesting on Catra, Adora being SW's daughter/Catra's sister ended up having even less psychological effect on her than 1985's sadly underdefined relationship with Hordak.

Nu Castaspella is a downgrade in almost every way. Shadow Weaver flat out implies Casta is a far weaker sorceress to her brother.

>Micah was an exceptional sorcerer, even then. It's a shame it didn't run in the family.

Wondering if magical abilities are somewhat genetic.

Also Mortella, pretty cool villain.

>Yeah, I can see that. On the other hand, while Shadow Weaver's parenting was certainly interesting on Catra, Adora being SW's daughter/Catra's sister ended up having even less psychological effect on her than 1985's sadly underdefined relationship with Hordak.

Shadow Weaver left a bigger impact on Catra. Her supposed effect on Adora is that she saw herself as only having worth if she can be usefil for a purpose or something along the lines. But Catra was Shadow Weaver's daughter more than Adora ever was. Unlike Adora, she took her lessons to heart.

They also tried a last minute connection with Adora and Hordak at the end, but it falls flat as neither character had any significant moments together. This show does suffer from "coming a bit too late" syndrome at times.

With a cool design to boot. I like that Disney Snow White's Evil Queen look she has going on.

Attached: Mortella.jpg (1079x1633, 502.02K)

>Prime brainwashing her and constantly calling her "little sister" to rile up Adora would have had more impact.

Shit, I never thought of that. Prime called everyone "little brother" in a weird cult leader-like fashion, but him calling Catra that way hits different if the two girls actually saw eachother as sisters.

It also gives a very dark spin to the concept of "found family" were it turns out to be a cult instead.

>It also gives a very dark spin to the concept of "found family" were it turns out to be a cult instead.

This, a mentally damaged person like Catra leaving an abusive cult enviroment like the Horde, just to jump right into the arms of another cult were people see and address eachother as family? That does happen irl. She is the perfect recipient for that.
Whether it's a crazy religious sect, or a hippie commune, or tumblr sjw echo-chamber.

Extra layer of irony is that while different. Prime and Hordak are the same being.

Attached: 5295f89d2048.jpg (1560x720, 73.29K)

Filmation Shadow Weaver has a hotter design imo.

Well most of the filmation female characters had more chest and curves than the remake.

New Shadow Weaver is one of the remake designs I actually like. She was an interesting character as well.

>Shit, I never thought of that. Prime called everyone "little brother" in a weird cult leader-like fashion, but him calling Catra that way hits different if the two girls actually saw eachother as sisters.
>It also gives a very dark spin to the concept of "found family" were it turns out to be a cult instead.
Yeah, that could have been great.

>Well most of the filmation female characters had more chest and curves than the remake.
The irony was when hot girls were flat characters.

For some reason some of the background female characters look more womanly than the main ones

This blonde star sister from the prom is quite busty.

Attached: StarSisters.png (344x370, 150.82K)

post rogelio

Ok

Attached: GlimmerkillsRogelio.gif (640x359, 2.85M)

This

Catra's background was far more tragic. She lived in the streets of Purrsia as a child, and got beaten by the sellers and civilians when tried to steal to eat something. When Horde invaded her planet, she joined them, betrayed the Magicat queen at the pure French Revolution style, and swore to destroy all monarchy that allowed poverty around the galaxy, starting with Etheria.

Why didn't Noelle do this?

Best place to watch the 1985 show?

Stop making these threads.
You're She-Ra reboot is gone, Noelle.
Or Noah, or whatever your name is.
It's done.

It happened in the episode Save the Cat, but the whole thing is framed as romantic instead of a sisterly bond.

I don't think Noelle would make the threads, someone with such issues is probably too busy making another kind of mess entirely, more personal and nonsensical than a discussion about a propaganda cartoon aimed at pre-pubescent kids in a mongolian basket weaving forum.
And if anything i would expect Kyleanon to be making these threads, since they show egitimate interest on the old show.

>And if anything i would expect Kyleanon to be making these threads, since they show egitimate interest on the old show.

Uhhh not me. I'm not into Entrapta or Hordak nearly enough to make threads about them. I think the person making them is a fan of them both.

I only making Kyle threads every two weeks or so. And once I did a "comfy Motu thread" back when all the threads were annoying Revelations outtrage.

I just like to drop by and discuss stuff whenever I catch a thread, I like discussing ideas.

I'm going to try storytiming this weekend anyway. If all goes well.

Attached: Sup.jpg (432x509, 55.37K)

>they gave them personality so they win
I will honestly take the soulless boring original show over the new one because at least I don't have to think about the potential incest and abuse excuses when I'm watching it.
It's not hard to not have those elements in the show, you just have to...not do it. And 2018 version did it.

Oh, hopefully all goes well then Kyleanon, i shall not dirty your name any longer

>Best place to watch the 1985 show?
Copyright holder has them up for free on Youtube.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL4Rkv1GmvjparUCXNY7nZPn_KH-s6_vS

You make it sound like the characters are all committing incest. I just appreciate better characters and keep '85 for the rest, since I'm also a He-Man fan.

Attached: he-man-frosta-sweet-bee.jpg (631x477, 94.64K)

>Urchina only existed for half an episode and a Swift Wind short
Pain

Attached: 24d05573b81495a1f13cbd10b1cdf531337cb88cr1-640-1136v2_hq.jpg (576x1024, 34.03K)

well they stink

Attached: 7EFC7A5B-B93A-4D8D-B710-CCAC6735BA32.jpg (640x409, 37.69K)

Skeletor, if the people of Etheria stink, why did you try to take over three times? Plus the time you tried to take over Sweet Bee's colony ship instead?

>You make it sound like the characters are all committing incest
when it's the main characters it gets pretty hard to ignore. It would be easier if Mermista was fucking her sister because I can ignore that.
And it's not like they're that much better characters, they just did the bare minimum. I'm not a fan in how shipping shaped a lot of the characters you mention. Especially Hordak, what a wimp.

Urchina should have been topless because her torso is completely spiny, like Spikor.

Attached: review_spikor.jpg (500x753, 72.67K)

Kek well I have been dropping by a bit more often due to giving the 2018 show a rewatch for research purposes. Been studying the show's writing and stuff and I've got all these thoughts going on. So it's to be expected?

But I mean it, I'm only making Kyle threads.

Also Catra tells Glimmer that she and Adora used to "play tricks on Kyle" back at the Horde in S5. It's framed as a cute UwU bonding moment but she was so continually awful I expect those "tricks" to be awful too. The more you know...

Attached: tumblr_0a683a779389e00507f37e9c614bbddd_b1826cc0_1280.jpg (840x525, 65.25K)

"I'm attracted to Adora in part because we grew up physically harming Kyle together."
I mean it's an intriguing concept for an irredeemable villain...

Attached: 2018-Horde-flashback.jpg (1334x750, 75.19K)

Interesting to note: the idea that Horde Prime would have Hordak mentally reconditioned was used before only in the Horde's last appearance in the 1986-7 Star (Marvel) comic.

Attached: MotU-11-22.jpg (1009x1505, 670.21K)

>I mean it's an intriguing concept for an irredeemable villain

And a strange one for a main heroine...

For a show about friendship and abuse it really seems like the writers find bullying funny.

Well without realizing, chapter 7 part 2 might have shown what king of tricks Catra played on Kyle, and Adora was part of it as well. Worked in my favor, I suppose.

Attached: PlayingTricksOnKyle.jpg (530x731, 76.2K)

>Original Frosta is better than reboot Frosta
I wanna fuck reboot frosta more though

Cool! So Hordak getting redeemed or at least sympathy in the original wasn't impossible.

>I'm too old. Too set in my ways.

Damn...that sad resignation

>And a strange one for a main heroine...
Nice sketch.
If the writers weren't so woke, Adora's upbringing involving picking out one boy to bully would be a realistic flaw she wants to make amends for.
For the '85 pilot, Larry DiTillio painstakingly established that Hordak let Adora grow up to be a good person and just relied on SW doing magic mind control when that got inconvenient, and he story edited Season 1 so other writers couldn't off-handedly contradict that.
Conversely, the DC Comic leaned into her doing evil because of how she was raised. Noelle's writters' room found an unhappy medium.

Attached: DUZ1bfPVwAAs0xk.jpg (1080x1080, 270.94K)

Fuck, rogelio is cute.

Nope, not impossible!
>Damn...that sad resignation
The writing and how the art worked with it in this comic got REALLY good at the end after the first 8 issues being worse than the mini-comics packed with the toys.

>It's framed as a cute UwU bonding mome
So like everything they did with her in season 5

>Larry DiTillio painstakingly established that Hordak let Adora grow up to be a good person
Why?

Attached: 2hwufo.jpg (1626x787, 57.51K)

This. Adora being a bully isn't too out there for her character especially if she was raised at the horde.

But the first Nu-Ra epsode made it clear Adora was actually very noble to contrast the more underhanded Catra. She abandoned the Horde as soon as she learned the truth. So her and Catra bullying someone together goes against what was established of her character. Something season 5 does a lot.

>Nice sketch

Thanks, it's a panel of a much larger story I'm writing.

Pretty much. The writers realized they wrote a character that went past the point of no return by season 4 for a chunk of the audience. So Catra's arc in season 5 comes off as a damage control of sorts.

That episode with Bow constantly calling Catra cute was the most annoying one.

>Hordak and Adora are more interesting when they're dad and daughter.
If they actually did something with this, then it might have been interesting. As is, its basically just a weird final moment. It would be interesting to have Hordak be both annoyed, angry and Adora's betrayal but having an interesting pride at her success at beating him and his forces. It would also give Adora an actual reason for trying to be nice to the Horde elements she defeats.
>Entrapta is more interesting when she and Hordak are a couple.
Slightly. But I think this is more because as a solo character, he traits are just; smart & slightly autistic. Without someone to bounce the second part of off, she's just a smart character and so isn't as interesting. Its why when you see Catra manipulate Entrapta, there is interest in seeing how Catra plays it and if Entrapa can see through it.
>Mermista is more interesting as a defrosting ice queen to Sea Hawk.
Maybe but the 2018 Sea Hawk is downright depressing and just annoying to watch. I would have preferred some mix with of the ideas but due to the '18 Sea Hawk's whole character basically being "lovably incompetent at everything", he really can't be savlaged.
>Catra is a more interesting villain as Adora's bully than her generic villainy in the original cartoon, but this also makes shipping them deeply wrong even if they weren't sisters.
I definitely think they should have stuck with the whole "sisters who are just that different" angle they had in the original show bible. It wouldn't have stopped the shippers but it would have had a more easier time understanding her 'redemption' later on if they kept it going.
>Shadow Weaver's role as Catra's mom was much more interesting than her fleeting psychological effect on Adora.
It has more going for it, but its on execution that it just falls flat. Maybe if Catra had betrayed Shadow first in a "I learned from the best, mom" moment.
(1/2)

>Original Frosta is better than reboot Frosta.
Eh. I like the original concept from the bible but they didn't go for it so, yeah.
>Original Glimmer was such a mess that reboot wins just for having characterization and consistent power use. Not sold on the Bow ship having any importance.
Just because one is shit and the other is only a turd, doesn't make the turd any better.
The ship has no importance but they needed to have something for people to root for between the two besides just winning.

>Anything else?
The politics of the show should have been brought up more. Just shit like alliances, potential fallout of actions or non-actions, the citizenry and how they view the princess and stuff. They sort of mention it in the season 1 ball stuff buts it just that and then never really brought up again. Just have at least some of that, would have made some of the final season a bit more impactful when they have kick their citizens asses.

I feel like Madam Raaz was underused for whatever she was to the story. Her weird, non-linear-time thing would have actually been interesting if expanded a little more. She has actual role in the '85 version but in the '18 ver it feels like they had an idea but they didn't want to commit to it and so she only appeared for a handful of eps.

Personal thing, I wish magic was just magic and not just some hyper advance tech stuff. Just a trope that i have an absolute hatred for. Its either magic, or science bullshit, pick one.

The previous She-Ra didn't need to exist really. She didn't really do much that couldn't have been done by other characters with more significance.
(2/2)

I don't think there's any intrinsic reason. They just wanted her to be a simple good guy like He-Man despite being raised by a vindictive military dictator who stole her from Randor and Marlena.

Attached: PoP Hordak flashback.jpg (640x468, 64.61K)

>ITT: 1985 fans desperately telling themselves they're fans of "the better one" when they know deep down they're the version that'll be forgotten

The original She-Ra was a perfectly fine spinoff of a pop-culture phenomenon, and they did remarkable things considering that the whole "fantasy heroine" genre had been largely ignored up until that point. That said, it mostly just followed in the footsteps of He-Man, bringing very little to the table of its own, and aside from its main character the cast never really had much of a recognition-factor. He-Man (1983) and She-Ra (2018) will be what's remembered 20 years from now, with the original She-Ra being an "oh and that existed too" aside.

I also wish the show hadn't made the First Ones as evil as Prime. Or at least without any explanations why the eternians fell from grace. It was one of the most mean-spirited jabs at the old show imo.

Instead it's just "First Ones Bad" and leave it at that.

>If they actually did something with this, then it might have been interesting. As is, its basically just a weird final moment.
It's from the original cartoon. Even there it wasn't explicit. In "The Secret of the Sword"/"Reunions" (Ep 4 in the 5-part pilot) he all but has an emotional breakdown about losing her to Randor and Marlena. "My Friend, My Enemy" forgets about Imp after using him at the beginning to make Adora/She-Ra the only one who'd cry over him dying but didn't use the word "Dad".
As a highly episodic kiddy cartoon, it had a real problem with relationships that only exist for an episode, so there's also "The Caregiver" that established Hordak has domestic servants and a nanny helped him raise Adora.

Attached: hordak-caregiver.png (606x440, 294.61K)

>As a highly episodic kiddy cartoon, it had a real problem with relationships that only exist for an episode,
e.g. that's where Dreamworks got King Micah. Literally one episode.

Attached: PoP-Micah.jpg (1000x666, 61.43K)

>Hordak and Adora are more interesting when they're dad and daughter.
It's depressing that the ONE episode where they addressed this, Tears for Hordak, has more time spent with the two of them than an entire 52 episode series and by far more emotional connection than anything related to Shadow Weaver. You'd be forgiven if you thought Adora and Shadow Weaver had barely even met if you skipped episode 1, which completely undercuts the complex Catra supposedly has thanks to her doting on Adora.

>they're the version that'll be forgotten
Oh yeah, which is why Mattel stuck with the remakes designs and are making more merch off that instead of switching back to the original version and making more merch of that.

Don't worry, just 20 more years and THEN people will like it!

>/toy/ matters, right?
Toys stopped mattering a long time ago. Kids want their video games and youtubers. He-Man will never go back to being a billion dollar industry... as much as Mattel might want it to be. And they get pure profit from toys using the original designs, as opposed to what they get from sales of merch for the 2018 show. Of course they prefer selling the original, even if the only ones buying it are balding Gen Xers.

That's always how it is with these shitty media, isn't it?

>In 10 years people are going to love The Last Jedi more than the originals!
>Just wait 15 years and the Duck Tales Reboot will be the only one people remember!
>Just you wait in 20 years Nu-Ra will be as known as the original he-man!
And my personal favorite from an actual literal quote
>In ten years people are going to completely flip and start calling Korra amazing because Yea Forums always flips!
Korra came out 10 years ago and we just had a thread that was nonstop shitting on it.

It's literally saying "Okay, it sucks NOW, but in a time when either you won't remember or a time when I hope you won't give a fuck, I can pretend people will love it."

>Kids want their video games
Too bad it's unlikely for either Mattel OR Universal to get a good MotU OR She-Ra game produced.

Yeah that might help if they used the Nu-Ra for any sort of side media but even their version in the Theme Parks is changed back.

If all the kids know about her is from backpacks or merch that has her face and all they see there is the OG, how exactly are they going to suddenly forget about her and only remember the Nu-Version that hasn't even been mentioned in the grander multimedia narrative in 2 years?

>Korra came out 10 years ago and we just had a thread that was nonstop shitting on it.
You could also mention the time Netflix released it and the original Avatar at the same time and ATLA had a massive resurgence while Korra dropped out of the top 10 in 2 weeks, and if that other scale it to be believed it got curbstomped by Scooby Doo Mystery Inc of all things. But I don't think anyone said "In 10 years Scooby Doo mystery inc is going to be one of the top 10 Netflix cartoons!" They didn't have to, people liked it back then too.

She-Ra backpacks aren't exactly being bought by anyone except a few people that want something old "ironically."

>I think this is more because as a solo character, he traits are just; smart & slightly autistic. Without someone to bounce the second part of off, she's just a smart character and so isn't as interesting. Its why when you see Catra manipulate Entrapta, there is interest in seeing how Catra plays it and if Entrapa can see through it.
Catra is a bad friend, 80s Edition.

Attached: ABornChampion_0009.jpg (401x525, 68.42K)

Straight up some kids seeing them in walmart is more exposure to She-Ra's face than anything Mattel has done regarding Nu-Ra since the show ended. There's no comics, there's no merch, there's not even a tie in for it.

Again, since OG She-Ra still is going on Walmart and Target toy shelves and slapped on the occasional T-shirt, while Mattel all but abandoned the Nu-Ra designs, what exactly are you basing the idea off of that the show will become as well known as a show like He-Man? Kids know the fucking Heyaaa meme more than they've seen of Nu-Ra period.

>The politics of the show should have been brought up more. Just shit like alliances, potential fallout of actions or non-actions, the citizenry and how they view the princess and stuff. They sort of mention it in the season 1 ball stuff buts it just that and then never really brought up again. Just have at least some of that, would have made some of the final season a bit more impactful when they have kick their citizens asses.
This would be a great way to improve the next reboot. The OG predated story arcs and queens like Frosta and Casta would come and go from the Rebel camp without explanation. 2018 had Princesses stick around but ended up ignoring the politics of their realms (oh Mermista in the bath tub...)

mara got more story

soundtrack is better

She-Ra vs Hordak portrayed as a father/daughter conflict is such an easy idea after seeing the base premise that it's baffling 2018 didn't go for it. It's literally right there, and instead, she decided to ship the main character with a side villain, but also make them sisters?
At the very least I hope the next She-Ra show actually does this, because it could be interesting. And Arcane proved that there is an audience that is into "villain who's also a super cool dad"