Did anyone else find him to be really underwhelming and not intimidating?

Did anyone else find him to be really underwhelming and not intimidating?

Attached: ultron_3162962k.jpg (858x536, 85.4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s5S3WMkdq7U
youtube.com/watch?v=vJS3OCeE3I8
youtube.com/watch?v=gkPobXwZCf8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes ultron was a waste

Yes, his final design was complete shit and AoU was just a shit movie in general, Quicksilver should have lived. Whedon is such a hack

That's the common consensus. Movie Ultron was lame but trailer Ultron was great.

no ultron was good because he was subversive. the premise of the entire movie was that humans were literally the cause of the planet's problems, and ultron pointed out the flaws of each avenger, especially captain america.

thing is, this probably triggered the members of the audience who consider themselves patriots and love the u.s. because they're bootlickers.

so disney (like killmonger) made sure his goals were over the top and ill conceived, basically hamfisting the villain's arc in to something that wasn't fully explained or thought out

But he sang le funny didney song! Muh childhood! All the feels!

You can't be intimidating and constantly quip.
You can't be intimidating and be in a series based on deus ex machina that only lets badguys die, and even then half the time they don't.

>patriots and love the u.s. because they're bootlickers.
Why would patriots be communists?

He lost literally every encounter, so it's hard to see him as an intimidating villain. Especially given his personality. To pull of smug, you need to kind of have some ability to back it up othewise you look like a weasel.

It would’ve been a simple fix too:
>change his design slightly to look like pic related
>make his voice much more robotic and cold sounding
>whenever he sings (like the Pinnochio song) have him play a grainy recording of the song instead of him actually singing
>have him act more like the hyper-competent and efficient AI/computer he was meant to be, so he’s very difficult to outsmart and defeat
>maybe have a scene of him successfully capturing Bruce or Tony and coldly/sadistically torturing them, mocking how weak they are and gloating about how much more superior he is to them

There, a better version of Ultron. Sorry for the edge.

Attached: 48A34D32-F998-46F0-A4D6-CECB1E574389.jpg (659x1100, 71.04K)

I think a scene of him and his bots burning Sokovia like in the comics would have helped him too

This too. I’m surprised they didn’t include it since it’s right there in the source material.

I think Man of Steel probably really soured the idea of any real mass death in capeshit movies at that point.

>the source material
Well there's your problem, the MCU hates the source material with a genuine burning embarassment.

Majority opinion when it came out. However I fucking loved that final scene with Vision, that kind of jaded pessimism should have been how he was the entire film (besides the first Iron Drone scene) and would have been a great thing to carry on to future movies instead of pretending he didn't exist.

And that’s a dang shame too, there are kino moments in the comics.

That and Disney may have wanted to play it safe.

How the FUCK didn't they at least include the "We would have words with thee" line?

>make his voice much more robotic
Why? The fact that he nearly sounds like an human makes it clear how advanced he is.

Ultron should be cold and calculating, yet also an emotional loose cannon that expresses his rage in scary ways. He has essentially access to all technology and can set up perfect plans, yet has the tantrums of a child.
What we got was Unthreatening Quip Machine complete with ugly design, really lame 2deep4u lines, an embarrassing losing streak, and such a light touch of his signature daddy issues that you might as well not done it.
The only positive was Spader’s voice.

Attached: 529D6CE7-C1AE-4A6D-B6A1-25046D6993A1.jpg (725x353, 146.13K)

retard alert

I found him really hot

They're gullible retards that love everything that's red, white, patriotic blue. And eat up every speach about freedom.

It's literally one of the biggest complaints about the movie.

Hot damn, you sound retarded. Everyone knows most of humanities problems stem from humanity. This is a shocker to absolutely no one. Go throw your pseud-intellect somewhere else. You might actually be able to pass as smart on twitter.

What’s weird is that Avengers 1 actually followed the first Avengers issue pretty well, and took a few things here and there from Ultimates to lengthen the time.
Yet AOU was just a mess that didn’t utilize anything.

I think Avengers 2 should have been an adaptation of Under Siege.
>Baron Zemo, an enemy of Cap’s from WW2 that served as a Hydra general, returns enhanced by Arnim Zola’s experiments
>Strucker helps Zemo pull strings and put together a Masters team: Zemo, Abomination, Titanium Man (Justin Hammer), Enchantress, Skurge, Crossbones, and Constrictor (a former SHIELD agent with a grudge against Widow and Hawkeye)
>Zemo manages to infiltrate Avengers Tower and cripple SHIELD/US government so they can’t interfere
>Avengers are separated and beaten, but have to come back together and win

Because the writers/executives of the MCU are smoothbrains.

I guess it’s personal preference to make Ultron sound more scary and menacing. Just the thought of hearing an eerie robotic voice basically telling you that you’re going to die.

Also by ‘robotic’ I meant the uncanny valley effect of AI generated voices (which Ultron would probably have).
He would still sound pretty human, but there would be something very ‘off’ about his voice, which would make it creepy and settling.
Here’s an example of the type of voice I was thinking of for Ultron:
youtube.com/watch?v=s5S3WMkdq7U

Actually here’s an even better video for what my headcanon Ultron voice is like:
youtube.com/watch?v=vJS3OCeE3I8

Better version.
youtube.com/watch?v=gkPobXwZCf8

Kek

>Did anyone else find him to be really underwhelming and not intimidating?

Yes. He was more imitating as a damaged Iron Man suit than being 10 feet tall covered in Vibranium.

Attached: ultron2.png (1895x799, 1.45M)

Well. I thought he was hot.

based fellow robofucker, what I would give to be dominated by a 10 foot tall well built robot with James Spader's voice

Attached: tumblr_pekhloWGmi1tiokf0o1_1280.jpg (1280x1059, 360.24K)

>every time someone tries to stop a war before it starts innocent people die
Joss Whedon is actually retarded

No they don't, why do people parrot this shit without giving examples?

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 246.42K)

Moon Knight and Black Widow immediately come to mind. The director of BW literally doesn't even know how to read comics.

Oh yeah, and Shang Chi too.

>The MCU hates the source material with "burning embarrassment"
>source is the titles of 3 movies with no real elaboration
Yeah I'm thinking contrarian. Even if you can somehow convince me of this burning embarrassment it would just be a recent thing and I could stop watching new MCU content, you are saying there were a decade of movies and shows before this that loved and embraced the source material?

I wasn't the user you were arguing with before, you just asked for examples. Naturally more recent events come to mind first. What I meant by listing those titles were
>BW: Quite literally fanfiction with no basis in a comic because the director straight up can't read comics
>MK: Dramatically altering who the different personalities are to avoid comparisons to Batman, only to get compared to Deadpool instead
>S-C: Repeating head over heels for China and Twitter that Shang's dad isn't Fu Manchu
>IM3 completely shitting on the potential Mandarin, AIM, and Extremis
>AoU subverting the Black Widow/Hawkeye romance for a poorly-received Hulk/Black Widow romance and replacing cold, robotic Ultron with a quippy manchild James Spader
>Every single shitty "lol the comic costume suck" joke throughout the franchise
It's not so much a "burning embarrassment" as it is a complete lack of respect and interest in the source material by at least half the franchise's directors.

Hellooo!

Is this an underutilized characters thread? Sorry I'm late.

Attached: Maxresdefault-5--vision-ultron.jpg (864x486, 38.34K)

The best part of MCU Ultron is James Spader's voice, even if you fixed everything else wrong with the portrayal you'd lose something if you ditched Spader

OH NONONONO MOUSEKETEERS HOW DO WE COPE????

The poor design of main Ultron is especially irritating, because the regular drones had a much more faithful and better look. They should've just used this design, maybe beef it up for main Ultron, and then he would've looked much better.
As for the lame, unintimidating personality they gave him, I've always thought there was a way for them to have their cake and eat it too. MCU Ultron is based off of Tony Stark's brainwaves or whatever, so you could have him start off doing Stark-like quips but then as the film progresses he gets more and more disgusted with humanity until by the end he's completely dropped any attempt at humour and become the fully serious, omnicidal robot we all know and love

Attached: Ultron_Sentry.jpg (602x850, 93.01K)

also reminder that they gave this Ultron eyebrows

How much do you get paid to post?

Complete agree regarding the design and Ultron’s personality. They were so close yet so far with Ultron and the movie as a whole.

Hypothetically, one could just run his voice through an AI learning program and then add a couple filters to get that weird/uncanny AI voice effect.

No

Because it's a stupid line. They don't want to have words with him, they want to shut him down. Go on, tell him, what words do they want to have with him?

user, BW comics since the 00s and on have been wangsty, "gritty" trashheaps, the fact that mcu widow stayed away from them is good.

>I think Avengers 2 should have been an adaptation of Under Siege.
It was far too early to jump to something like that, you'd have to introduce most of the villain team all at the same time like Suicide Squad. You need to have enough villains from earlier movies survive until you can put a team together that are people audiences already know.

>BW
Yeah but this one I am kind of fine with, it's not like BW has any iconic or easily translated comic. It doesn't scream embarassment to have a team of globe trotting latex wearing female assassins in a flying fortress that only Black Widow and her estranged Russian Superhero Spy fake family can take down.
>MK
Him changing between runs is just part of the character
>SC
The comics also moved away from all that stuff
>IM3
Agree
>AoU
I don't mind them changing romances, someone dating hulk shows they aren't embarrassed of the comics. Changing character interactions without shitting on anything is a nice way for comics readers to see something fresh, especially when Hulk wont get a solo movie to explore his own interactions. This was just bad because it was written by Wheedon
>lol the comic costume suck
Never happens outside of the Netflix shows

>replacing cold, robotic Ultron
You were doing so well, then you outed yourself as an EMHfag who doesn't even know comic Ultron. He may not be quippy, but he's never been "cold and robotic" except in EMH, who got him wrong worse than the MCU did.

They kinda needed to throw out the Shang Chi origin stuff, though. They kept the core beats - he's the son of an immortal criminal mastermind, and is trying to escape that shadow - but for a bunch of reasons you can't literally make his father Fu Manchu.

Besides, the Shang-Chi "real Mandarin" is one of the best antagonists the MCU has ever had, both in terms of humanity/relatability and sense of threat. That doesn't say a whole lot given MCU's villain history prior to about phase 3 (they had Loki and nobody else memorable) but this was a change for the better, honestly.

>but for a bunch of reasons you can't literally make his father Fu Manchu.
Even if they wanted to, and even if nobody would complain about it, they've lost the rights long ago.

...You get that it's supposed to be an understated threat, right? Literally "we're going to talk, and if that talk doesn't end with you backing down, then it will end in violence."

It's a good line, full of character and with a meaning that most people can infer from context. If you can't, you're either an idiot or you're deliberately not getting it so you can be contrarian.

Different user, but while that might just be one version of Ultron, it’s a matter of personal taste whether he’s ‘better’ than the other version. Personally a mix between comic and EMH Ultron for the movie would have been good, especially if Ultron’s personality is on the arrogant/superiority side.

Honestly none of MCU villains feel very threatening, Adjacent stuff like Netflix series included.

It's tough to take a homicidal robot seriously when it's firing off quips every fifteen seconds instead of laser blasts.

That sounds like an improvement, if anything.

The mcu was an improvement to comic Nat, yes.

Again, why would they threaten him at all? He wants to end the world and has already hurt many people. What is the "non violent" possibility that can happen with the talk?

First of all, you're a retard
Second of all, just because it's "against the norm" and "subversive" doesn't mean that it's fucking good, Ultron sucks because he's not scary, he's not smart in a believable way, he's a glorified jobber, jobs to anyone in the fucking movie, the only notable thing he did was to kill QuickSilver, another jobber that got hit by a stray bullet, what a loser!
> killmonger made sure his goals were over the top and ill conceived, basically hamfisting the villain's arc in to something that wasn't fully explained or thought out
You clearly didn't pay attention to the film, Killmonger had alot of reasons to get pissed off, when he was a kid his father was killed and it's already shown that he was in the projects, already in a shitty conditions and presumably the mother was working late shifts. He finds out that the man that killed his father is a king in a tyrant nation that has technology that could of help other peoples of their race but doesn't due to classism ideology and is out for blood. That's pretty good excuse to get pissed off for and he isn't a jobber, he's not like Ultron, looking up at the lights on the floor