ITT: art cliches you are absolutely sick of

complaints with art styles or illustrations.
ill begin
>any of these expressions

Attached: tumblr_13a4f1a7b657861f60e73d0af409559b_dc63988a_2048.jpg (2048x1523, 280.39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9dQm8YL6isk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i like them

my main problem with them is that they feel overused and they feel completly detached from any real expression actual people make in the real world, its a stylization of a stylization, a parody of a parody. it feels disengenious and whatever emotion theyre trying to convey feels fake or forced or like a kid playing pretend.
that bothers me

>completly detached from any real expression actual people make in the real world
well, they're from cartoons

yeah but like, they are meant to represent something from the real world, in a stylized way, yes, but still ultimatly referencing to something real

i never saw anyone clise their eys while smiling in a cocky way or while apologizing in the way is depicted in these drawings, it feels like it originally referenced to something real but it has been filtered through artists who learn to draw by copying other artist so many times that it becomes uncanny

It's the overacting equivalent of drawing.

This line-mouth thing that younger artists do drives me crazy in particular.

Attached: Capture.png (251x193, 7.89K)

This guy's whole channel
youtu.be/9dQm8YL6isk

It's just bastardized anime expressions in an alternate style. It worked in Totally Spies other than that it rarely works. God, I love Totally Spies it won't ever get the credit it truly deserves and it's a pretty solid cartoon.

Attached: DyKdXgY-2.gif (500x380, 885.62K)

Top left is so fucking obnoxious.

Closed eye smiles. Smiles with squinty eyes are way cuter.

Attached: eyebrows.jpg (350x810, 82.56K)

any kind of finger gun pose. fuck off

I wish anime never influenced any western creatives.
It's sad that Japanese throwaway art is poisoning generations of artists.

What's really annoying in Pixar and Dreamworks etc. movies now is how every character emotes the same way. It's the same stock of facial expressions. Good animators give unique expressions to each character, ones that also show them reacting to something in context, not ones that are so simple they can be put anywhere.

anime is a disease

I suggest you start reading Jean Baudrillard.

I can't believe a dobson comic made me chuckle

Attached: 1638476942874.gif (500x450, 1.94M)

like even anime does this thing where a visual shorthand gets so incestously overused that it becomes completly divorced from anything it was meant to represent

the anger vein popping was meant to show how someone's blood pressure would increase when angry, but then the veins poping thing got reduced to four simple curves meeting each otherand from then it just became this really weird hovering icon over someone's head
anime is stuffed with shit like this, like the drop of sweat or the spirals in someone with glasses

Attached: Captura.png (329x241, 133.59K)

Maybe America should have developed a real animation industry instead of the poor excuse for one it has now.

Attached: images (15).jpg (220x229, 13.18K)

That would require actually making art students work for their 50k per year tuition at CalArts instead of just letting them do what they want since they already have their money.

Glad that kind of shit disappeared after the 2010s.
...right?

Anything that borrows heavily from anime

i always interpreted that as a crudely drawn straw, or piece of hay

Attached: cowboy-straw-his-mouth-20970240.jpg (957x1300, 212.35K)

the :T face

Attached: 563563654.png (1469x544, 574.33K)

damn, is incredible how such a small detail can add so much personality to a drawing

>dark skin characters blushing

Why? I get that animation short hands were created by light skin people but it seem wrong to paint it as something universal among people since the logical question is what up with those who don't blush?

Attached: tumblr_acc436a580d801e52ec4914e7c34fa58_f3cc703b_640.jpg (378x343, 27.81K)

People with dark skin blush, are you retarded or what?

You have to be like fucking midnight to not be able to blush

Just because we blush doesn't mean you can see it.
There a whole continent worth of people that can describe.

Do they really? I've never seen it.
Come to think of it, I haven't seen anyone blush out of embarrassment in real life. Maybe exhaustion from running but never embarrassment. I'm pretty sure blushing in cartoons is just a visual shorthand for the feeling of blood rushing to your face but I don't know

I don't think it's as bad as it was in the 90s, when giant sweatdrops and such were at their peak. Those sort of icons are more subtle if they show up at all.

Attached: giant anime sweatdrop.jpg (580x435, 46.55K)

It'd be like if cartoon characters still had things spinning around their heads when they get hit really hard but it was completely divorced from dizziness or seeing spots.
And then there's speed lines that have made their way into most comic books too now and they're not even used for when characters are moving. Thankfully I've yet to see someone literally blur a character to imply movement.

I don't get the appeal and I doubt these people even saw this stuff used "correctly" in the first place.
Wouldn't be a bad idea but no-one wants to stump the bill for traditional education.
>I haven't seen anyone blush out of embarrassment in real life.
Usually children get red in the face for a variety of reasons but yeah. I don't think I've ever seen someone with a red nose from drinking too much either, or maybe I've never actually seen someone drink too much.

Okay but spiral glasses are kino.

Attached: melvin.png (450x300, 192.25K)

Franime is mastercraft

It changes their expressions too.

When will the hacker known as Yea Forums meet up with the artist known as Studio Trigger?

We don't blush you mutt LARPers.

My man!

Attached: Nerd otaku.jpg (979x1500, 172.53K)

Using blushing for every emotional reaction. Calarts meme shows and Adventure shit do this any it's repulsive.

>anime and its influence on artists is bad
we know

You don't get a red nose from a drink or two, but you totally get it from lifetime of being a drunkard.

Go back to bed Dobson.

When a person colors characters' noses pink or red, that shit is the worst

I would prefer if characters can make expressions without contorting the face into looking like a completely different character

Wait, "we don't blush" as in whites don't blush or non whites don't.

I like it. It's irreverent and lighthearted.

Irish desent people get rednosed drunk.

I fucking love funny giant anime sweatdrops.

Third panel ruins the joke by drawing attention to it.

Attached: 4D79E872-18B9-46BB-9506-96A9CD41AA32.jpg (668x1025, 404.52K)

>Literally improved every one

incredible

Sr Pelo's style became very influential, too influential actually.

Attached: images.png (510x420, 6.51K)

Fucking this and these faces too

Attached: file.png (656x405, 5.16K)

It’s an issue I have with anime in general that most are adapted straight from mangas. They use the panels like a storyboard for key frames (and use dialogue whole cloth for scripts even though most is redundant because animation can tell things visually that doesn’t require statements) so little expressions which can be interpreted as being part of a larger gesture get literally animated into a static pose.

I despise the anime snout so much it's unreal

>Pure white, non description, round stock character design
Bonus points if they have little circles for hands. I swear every fucking twitter artist is using some variation of this shit.

Attached: image15.png (471x530, 9.69K)

Inner ears drawn as a straight line. It's always on the round calarts type styles so why do they make an exception there??

Attached: 6ac56a4dd456fce10272ed91467b62ca.png (340x305, 12.46K)

Les go

Attached: head with glasses.png (437x475, 110.42K)

Too true, no diss to Pelo but I think he caused a small ripple in the YouTube underbelly.

The Non Bust. When women who should clearly have a breast line instead just have a large barrel lump at their chests with no real definition or dimension. Bonus points if they’re wearing something that should obviously give them cleavage but don’t.

Attached: 8E30E3E4-9FEC-439D-AAC5-DCC6D38DDCC2.jpg (2048x2048, 446.15K)

Western animators who have obviously watched too much anime put me off.