Anyone else too lazy to READ comics?

I just look at the pictures.

Attached: RCO115_1469592295.jpg (1041x1600, 490.53K)

Sometimes I just like a comic light on dialogue and great with visual storytelling but I'll need something lengthy or I'll just be done with it in a few minutes. Or I'll skim something I'm semi-interested in. But if the comic is good and the writing is great then I'm down for reading a novel's worth in an issue.

These days you're honestly not missing much, though the art is no better most of the time

I really hope this is bait
Yea Forums can't be THAT dumb...

Whenever Thor shows up in a book I skim over his or any other Asgardian's dialogue because I don't like reading the Asgardian font

Unless I start getting confused on events, I more often than not can understand the sequence of events based solely on the pictures.
There is a LOT of seemingly filler pages with barely any relevant information, if any at all, is most comics nowwa days.

sometimes I skim dilaogue and other text because western comics tend to have SO MUCH FUCKING TEXT that really could be cut down.

>THESE are the people that write the "insightful criticism" you see on this board
Uhh yeah so basically I skimmed through this comic, didn't really bother to read anything, I've forgotten half of what happened already, but like, I can tell you with authority it was absolute shit, the industry is dying.

>Every word written in a comic book is gospel and is in no way fluff used in order to fill up space
If they wanted me to read all the dialogue, maybe they should have made the dialogue interesting enough to Want to read, and NOT easy enough to fucking guess at just by looking at the images, or that literally nothing of substance would be lost if a page or two were left out. THAT is a problem with the industry.

be honest user a lot of comics are filled with what is basically prose, writers over write when they could cut it down drastically but they are failed screenwriters so they write fucking essays on pages. I only start skipping when a writer is using tons of lines to say what could be written in like 5. not all comics/writers do it but it does happen a lot

morrison ins't entry level

I hear a lot of people say comic writers are failed screenwriters, but aren't screenwriters supposed to have quick, snappy dialogue? Or is this the reason they are "failed" screenwriters, because they are overly verbose? Not that I have watched many recent movies or tv shows so maybe they are walls of text in dialogue form as well now.

This. Comics are a visual medium, why don't they let the art tell the story.

There'd be not point, then.
If I wanted to not read, I go look at paintings, movies or TV.
RIP sucked.
I tend to not read these sorts of comics.

No. But i have never read batman 663.

Not because im against prose, just morrison cant wrote worth a shit and 20 a4 ages of text is a slog fest if its not nice to read.

My friend does this. His favorite comic run is Geoff Johns's Green Lantern lmao

I skipped this issue of sandman
fuck cursive

Attached: EGOQdTDWoAAiU4B.jpg (675x1200, 207.16K)

It's a medium as well as an industry you twit. Faggot zombie corporations like DC and Marvel hurt the medium and creators I hope they die and I hope retards like you die with them.

I mostly skim and look at pictures. Some writers just write way too much shit for me to want to read. It's not a novel man.

I'm not even trying to turn this into an east vs west thread but seriously this. I stopped reading comics a few years ago but kept reading manga and now I've been getting back into comics and it really makes you see the difference. western comics have the writer over explain shit often and they sometimes fill it with narration boxes which makes it an experience where you're reading more than you're experiencing .

aaron, cates, bendis? i'm just there to look at the pictures

Lol what manga is the pinnacle of unnecessary narration during action and over-explanation of simple concepts giving full histories of random shit. You are absolutely trying to push east vs west, kill yourself

DO NOT TOUCH SILVER AGE IF YOU HATE THIS.

Personally i like silver age stories but boy do they over explain
>panel one: Batman is climbing a ladder
>caption: batman climbs the ladder to the top
>(dialogue) batman: "I should climb this ladder to get a better view from above."

I semi-blame this on the fact most comics are not made by the same guy, Frank Miller in his prime wasn't like this when he drew and wrote his works, same with Powel who makes the Goon and Lapham who makes Stray Bullets. It's a treat to read their works.

Attached: tumblr_0233ed4aa42f0c1223d59e4bc99b8317_d919de22_540.jpg (540x401, 60.75K)

>You are absolutely trying to push east vs west, kill yourself
I'm not.
>manga is the pinnacle of unnecessary narration during action
no it isn't most of the time in battle series they let the art do the talking

I'm ESL and I can't read cursive, sometimes I can but this one issue was too much, this was about Constantine's grandmother or something, right?

>I semi-blame this on the fact most comics are not made by the same guy,
thats part of it. I also think it has to do with what is saying comics have just always been like that so most people think its what comics should be

Lol manga is constantly crowding the page with shit like
>ahh he's fast I need to be careful
Which we could obviously tell from the art, let's not even mention attack announcements or mid battle edgy soliloquies which are so common

That was some dogshit.
It came off as Morrison's first attempt at prose in his whole life. Anyone that defends it probably wasted money on it.
I don't enjoy a lot of comics from the Silver or Bronze Age for this.
This is why when someone claims a comic is one of the all-time greats, I'm quick to dismiss it if it has all of that unnecessary narration.
Then there's the decompression in 00s comics.
We just can't win.
Manga often stops the story to explain what's happening to the readers. They make little diagrams and shit to explain power systems or some kind of tactic or mechanism. The parts in which the action does the talking, not much is going on. Not as bad as the unnecessary narration, but it's still failure.

>no it isn't most of the time in battle series they let the art do the talking

>did you see that? hikomiko is using a new technique!
>it's the oridori yamabushi, a move that has been shrouded in secret for hundreds of years
>it is said that the gotenobu perfected it and created an elite ninja group called the hakedanamariu
>the hakedanamariu?
>yes, the hakedanamariu
>but i thought they were a myth
>you don't know about them because their existence was mostly hidden all this time
>so hikomiko has learned this technique from that group?
>yes, and he's getting better
>((hold on hikomiko, this technique will ruin your body but the hopes and dreams of your friends and family rests firmly on your shoulders))
Feel free to add in some pages explaining the muscles and spacial awareness it requires to be done effectively.

and yet its still not as bad as when comics fill the page with text. show me a manga page that is this bad

Attached: file.png (1279x1967, 3.19M)

>Bendis
Yes we know he fucking sucks you retarded faggot.

he's not the only one and you know it

>can't even defend manga's bullshit
>has to use one of the infamous bendis pages
You deserve this (you) for making manga look bad by stooping that low.

And yet he's one of the biggest writers in comics.

is it just marvel and dc or are indie comics plagued by it too ?

Some of them, yes.

i seem to only get in a comic reading mood once a month

Attached: a9c8aqpjuxx11.jpg (1637x1400, 536.82K)

I had a friend just like you he usually just skimmed over most of the stuff and just looked at the pictures. Afterwards he claimed that he had read the book. If he actually had or not that's debatable

Has there ever been a good fan translation?

>HxH

A lot of American comics in my experince suffer from overwriting. Insomuch that each bubble is like a novel's worth of writing. When there's too much condensed prose or exposition it just kinda makes me wanna skip ahead. If there's too many words, per panel then you might as well write a book.

I think part of the issue is that since Manga is usually has a lot more issues to focus on the action than comics (week to week vs. month to month) they have the luxury of focusing more on good expressive fight choreography AND exposition rather than choosing one or the other or trying to shove both in all at once. Not to say manga in general isn't guilty of this but manga definitely are able to take their time more with both.

>I think part of the issue is that since Manga is usually has a lot more issues to focus on the action than comics (week to week vs. month to month) they have the luxury of focusing more on good expressive fight choreography AND exposition
I wish comics were better at fight scenes/choreography/action and using abilities in interesting ways

I think differently when comes to this
Manga tends to have more time but this leads to a lot of them making the story go on for to long. Leading to plot holes, inconsistencies, and writing into a corner
That or they might do an info dump chapter that makes the flow of the story feel like it grounds to a halt to have a lesson about the world or a backstory
Lord knowns there's a lot of manga that has gone on for too long while making a story that feels like a slog but distracts the readers with grand fights that don't really hold any depth to them

Y'know another thing worth mentioning is the art. One thing I've realized is that a lot of comic art, for whatever reason looks like they want to sell every single panel like it's a print. It's all very lovingly rendered and detailed. Obviously though, you're not gonna wanna draw extra frames or character body language or subtle shifts if you've gotta masterpiece every time. So instead you have no choice but to put 10 panels worth of dialogue over like...3 panels of art because no one wants to draw 10 panels. It's not just an east west thing. There's plenty of western comics like Scott Pilgrim that have very simple character designs and black and white drawings. And because of that it's much less of a hassle to draw and redraw the characters from different angles and break up the speech in a way that flows better for a visual medium. Honestly comic artists should take more cues from the techniques and cheats animation studios have to do to keep things simple and more visually engaging. Hell, I'd rather read a comic in black and white first and wait for a colored version later if the overall product comes out looking better.

Attached: RCO108.jpg (1800x2700, 1.18M)

...Jesus Christ.

Jesus christ is this just one page? This feels like 2, maybe 3 pages of shit spliced together.

its a single page. the writer is notorious for doing things like this

>Leading to plot holes, inconsistencies, and writing into a corner
comics have this in spades when you're talking about the big two

More inanity. Scott Pilgrim is not worth reading.

crazy how the top threads on this board is always manga readers making the most transparent bait possible and still somehow getting more posters that threads about actual comics. Its kind of amazing how you can actually have a conversation about comic books on resetera but every retard on this board has never touched a comic book. Its a shitstorm combination of retard who pretend that theyre too good for superhero comics (don't read any other comics,) mentally disabled manga readers (thus is the nature of it,) and retards who pretend nothing new is worth reading. Youre all monkeys undeserving of life especially the Yea Forums tourists.

When Yea Forums mods ban someone from Yea Forums they should also ban them from Yea Forums as well
We've been getting a lot of weebs who are mad that they can't talk about anime come down here since late 2020, or an increase since then

>pretend nothing new is worth reading
There is no pretending. It's pretty much true.

>t.doesn't read anything

you only think nothing modern is worth reading because you dont read any of it. get off the board or go talk about steven universe you insufferable faggot

I've tried. I've been trying.
Most recent attempt was Dial H for Hero by Sam Humphries. It was terrible.
Morrison's recent comics have been garbage, Immortal Hulk was garbage, Batman/Superman by Yang was terrible.
Monsters by BWS was a tremendous disappointment.
Those Image comics everyone promotes look fucking terrible, modern manga looks awful (scribbly art is becoming more commonplace).
Drop a title right now and I'll go read it. It better be good.
Cartoons are for troons and womanchildren.

Attached: guide to harry potter.jpg (2685x4485, 1007.07K)

Something is Killing the Children

I have the opposite problem where I realize I've just been reading the speech bubbles and not really taking in the art, and then I have to re-read pages so get that extra nuance and context.

When I lent my friend my copy of Watchmen in high school, he told me he skipped all of the non-comic prose parts "because you don't need them to understand the plot." Because understanding the basic sequence of events is the only important thing, not the exploration of theme through that sequence of events and characters, I guess.