Everything ever made and released in the 90s should be public domain

everything ever made and released in the 90s should be public domain

Attached: public-domain-logo-streamlined.png (2400x760, 49.11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mnnYCJNhw7w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No. Go make your own shit.

Copywrite laws are fucking dumb. Fuck Disney and their lobbying.

yes.
if it was made 20 years ago or prior it should be public domain by now, no ifs ands or buts. two (2) decades is plenty of time for corporations to make money.
also make trademarks last the same time, 20 years. so we don't get retarded scenarios like Sax Rohmer's estate still having a trademark on Fu Manchu's name despite his novels being public domain

Lick more boots faggots

....what?
what i'm suggesting is the very opposite of licking boots.
licking boots would be wanting copyright to be extended to be even more retarded than it is now and thanking corporations and daddy government for doing it.

youtube.com/watch?v=mnnYCJNhw7w

Nah, copyright should last 70 years no more no less. That way there’s a good chance public interest in a property will die out before everyone can use it so companies can’t bank on nostalgia and regurgitate the same shit over and over. Like if Pokémon went into the PD tomorrow then we wouldn’t be free of it. No we’d be flooded with EVERYONE trying to make their own Pokémon because Pokémon has made $110 billion since it’s debut and everyone would want a piece of that because it’s easy money.

Only if they are IPs that haven't been used since then and they have no plans to do so. That accounts for like 80% of the cartoon properties from that decade. Just sitting around being unused, rotting.

40 or 50 years is a pretty good amount of time, Canada's got it right. (unless Canada's is based on the creator's death and not publication, i forget which it's based on.)

>What copyright law is going to be like when the Floridan government drives Disney into bankruptcy

on the surface this is a good idea but if it were that way then you'd run into companies repeatedly bringing back ips and re-using them to avoid them falling into the public domain

At least we'd get new content for those IPs every once in a while, even if they do the bare minimum.

Too much of the original audience would still be alive at 50 years I think.
CR law would only change if companies try to make it changes and absolutely no company is going try defuck a bad situation that benefits them.

Sometimes I think this board is really morally bankrupt. Like thinking parents shouldn’t discipline kids, or thinking people should give up creative dreams if they’re being treated unfairly, and thinking they’re owed peoples characters, not to make anything worth while, but only to make weird degenerate smut with it and feel like they truly “own” it.

Some far-right company like The Daily Wire might want to aid the Floridan government because they think "DISNEY ARE TRANS GAYS GROOMING KIDS".

i guess new content would be cool but only if they did it right which i feel the majority of companies that own these properties would not be able to do.
and quite frankly. some of these franchises are fine being left alone.
Freakazoid, for example. the series ending was perfect. if they brought it back now it just wouldn't be the same.
same goes for a bunch of other franchises.
look at the reboot of Animaniacs. and ask yourself if you want that for your favorite long dead franchise?

>.129881571
>too much of the original audience would still be alive at 50 years i think
literally a non issue.
why do you want everyone who grew up with a certain cartoon/comic/whatever to be dead by the time it goes public domain?
i think copyright should at the very least expire in the lifetime of those who originally consumed it.
that way, people who grew up with it have the chance to do their own thing with it.
>peoples characters
people do not own characters, nobody does.
copyright is, contrary to popular belief. NOT ownership. it's a temporary period of exclusivity after which the work is free to use by everyone.
if it were truly ownership it wouldn't have any kind of a time limit as long as the company or estate or whatever that owns it is still around which would be horrific for creativity.
tell me, would you want to live in a world where Mary Shelly's estate still owns the rights to Frankenstein? or Bram Stoker's to Dracula?
would you want to live in a world where Shakespeare's great great great great great great great...... grandson could tell you that you can't use Romeo and Juliet or The Tempest?

The best way to go would be those reunion movies Nick did with Hey Arnold, Rocko and Zim. Ask the original crew to come back to do a TV movie rather than a full season.

I agree works of media, such as movies, episodes, etc should all be public domain after like 20 years. That makes sense.
However, I do think IPs and trademarks and such should still be protected for a long time. One is disposable, while the other is regularly reused.

Basically, I should be able to watch Batman TAS for free, but I shouldn't be able to make my own Batman movie without permission.

The kids of today should defend themselves against the 90s.

Yeah you're right. As good as it would be to see even obscure stuff come back, they'd probably keep it incredibly low budget and have a team on it who doesn't know anything about it and won't keep it faithful in order to "keep up with the times". The only purpose of more content existing would be so they could sit on it for another 25 years until they have to make another cheap unfaithful special or whatever.
If it became public domain, of course there would be a lot if people doing weird shit with it but there's a much higher chance a fan of the original would make something faithful out of pure passion and love for it.

Copyright should last until the creator dies.

I like to say Walt Disney's been dead for decades.

No.
i should be able to make my own Batman film and not be shot down by Warner Bros. fuck you.
Batman has been around since the late 1930s. him and his cohorts are ingrained into the collective mind of pop culture and have been part of the childhood of many generations. pretty much anyone alive at the very least recognizes the Dynamic Duo let alone any of the other iconic host of characters Batman has.
yet, because of corporate faggotry i can't make a Batman film and make money off of it, shit. it's even legally dubious to do shit like fanart. and i'm sure if Warner could, without facing any backlash or resistance. they'd wipe all fanart and fanworks of Batman off of the internet
i should be able to draw whatever i want, wherever i want. and do whatever i want with it, 100% legally. especially with things like Batman.

But what if the creator is multiple people, or a corporation?

>I should be able to make money off of other people's ideas.
Make your own faggot.
>it's even legally dubious to do shit like fanart
No it isn't. No one will sue you for drawing fan art

Well next year the last of the Sherlock Holmes stories go into the PD and that doesn’t seem to reduce the marketability of new SH stories or derivatives.

>Sonic becomes PD

You know not what you wish for user.

Attached: 1647744765171.png (2668x2000, 2.59M)

>I should be able to make money off of other people's ideas.
when the people who first came up with the idea have been dead for decades and the idea itself is so ingrained into culture, yes.
Batman is nearly one hundred years old.
>he doesn't know fanart and other fanworks are illegal and technically constitute copyright infringement
>he doesn't know that countless people have been sued and fucked over into oblivion because they made fan works of their favorite media
>he doesn't know even companies that own franchises who are known for being accepting of fanart fanfiction and other fan works, such as Star Trek. have sued people for making fan films
>he doesn't know that some companies like Nintendo are so joyless and autistic that they shoot down fan games and other works based on their franchises even when they're not being made for profit and pose not even the remotest threat to Nintendo. shit, they even fucked over some dude on patreon for making and selling a 3d model of bowser's penis, or something along those lines.
are you actually retarded or just willfully ignorant?

This shit rarely happens, and when it does, it's high scale projects like films or games, because that threatens the company

That's what is doing.

I'd argue that once everyone involved is dead AND 20 years has passed it should become public.

it shouldn't happen at all, period.
free fan games and films released on the internet don't threaten anybody.

They do if casual observers mistake them as official products

>everyone involved is dead
why?
i think that copyright should expire within living memory of whatever franchise's rights are expiring. that way, people who grew up with the franchise get the chance to do their own stuff with it.

Should be 250 years

>multiple people
Once they're all dead.
>a corporation
Corporations are NOT people, and much less creators.

we shouldn't write laws around mouth breathing drooling retards who cannot do a minute or two of research to determine whether or not a given film is official or not, that is a massively retarded idea and an enormous mistake of massive proportions which we, unfortunately. have already made.

You're so fucking stupid.

You're so fucking stupud it's not even ironically funny.

op won

The only problem why you can't just create an IP of your own extremely similar to the previous one is because nobody will ever google for it.
There can be a superior Batman, Spiderman, Superman that existed for 100 years and we wouldn't be all the wiser.

20 years is too short, if it was this short corporations would just wait until this time passes and avoid giving creators money. Personally, I think it should be around 50 years, but there should be provisions about individual works where they can be copied (but maybe limited derivative rights) if no longer available for over 20 years.

Shut the fuck up communist

I'd say 10 years after the death of the creator... so the company has still a fair amount of time to milk the ip before it gets public domain.

NIGGER FLAMING REDDIT FAGGOT HOW THE FUCK AM I GOING TO MAKE MY OWN SHIT IF EVERY CONCEIVABLE IDEA AND """""STYLE"""""" HAS BEEN LE COPYRIGHTED ALREADY AND I HAVE TO PRAY TO A GOD THAT DOESNT GIVE A FLAMING FAGGOT FUCK THAT I WONT GET ASS RAPED IN COURT WITH LAWSUITS FROM A MULTI FUCKING BILLIONAIRE CORPORATION OVER """""""""""""""""""""""""'SIMILARITIES""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" THIS SHIT IS ANTI HUMAN, ALL ART IS DERIVATIVE
ILL SAY IT AGAIN ALL FUCKING ART IS DERIVATIVE
ALL ART IS DERIVATIVE
ALL ART IS DERIVATIVE
ALL ART IS DERIVATIVE
COPYRIGHT IS A FUCKING CANCER THAT STIFFLES CREATIVE PROGRESS AND CREATIVITY

it should last 20
FUCKING
YEARS
NO MORE
WITH NO
FUCKING
RENEWALS
>LOL LETS JUST KEEP ANYBODY ELSE FROM USING THIS INTANGIBLE CONCEPT WHILE ITS STILL CULTURALLY RELEVANT AND LET LITERALFUCKING WHO'S FROM THE FUTURE USE IT WHEN PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY STOPPED GIVING A FUCk
KILL YOURSELF BOOM BRAIN FAGGOT

>I do think IPs and trademarks and such should still be protected for a long time
no they shouldnt
you're dealing with intangible concepts and preventing others from using it is fucking tyrannical
i'd be more lenient on my stance but fact of the matter is copyright is so absurdly fucking abusive right now that i dont respect it and beyond that i fucking hate it, its effects have been a bloody disaster for media
copyright of 20 years
NO renewals
and a work produced automatically enters the public domain as soon as the author dies
no exceptions
no lobbying
the point of hoarding the idea for yourself for years is to give you enough time to make profit with it, well buddy TWENTY MOTHERFUCKING YEARS is more than enough fucking time to withdraw an intangible idea all to yourself
>B-B-B-BUT MY HECKING MULTITRILLIONAIRE JEWISH COMPANIES
i rest my case

Bootstraps, kid

the reason it was set at 20 years originally is because 20 years is how long a franchise has been proven to actually draw in significant income.

oh, yes i do know, people like to play the "gotcha!" game trying to scare me with all that would entail as if i dont already know how copyright works inside out, i WANT this more than anything else in regards to entertainment
pic rel was made by me

Attached: make sonic public domain yeeaaaaa.png (707x549, 544.4K)

funeral bed 'oomer
>THE (((COMPANY)))
kill yourself

>be an artist
>finally get my breakthrough with own creator-owned character
>work hard on it
>20 years pass
>character becomes public domain
>my character gets milked and ruined by every bozo
>I am now forgotten and die poor and pennyless
good times

>Copyright lasts 20 years after the creator's death.
>If any company/estate wants to keep the rights after expiry they have to pay taxes on an increasing percentage off of the profits of that IP (from merchandise, film, tv, clothing) each year starting at 15% where it increases 5-10% each year up to a maximum of 90%

if you cant use an idea within 20 fucking years to make a profit you're a genetic failure, and you forget that you'd have more liberty to derive from other media if we had a more liberal copyright system, i mean really, twenty fucking years isnt enough for you? what the fuck were you doing that whole time? moreover why would you copyright your idea if it was still in the fucking cradle? its like a company revealing all their trade secrets early on before they've even begun selling anything and then they act surprised when other people used their ideas to make a profit while they sat on their asses doing jack shit

and take zun for example, hes very liberal with his ip and lets people use it all the time and they all respect him and he still makes a profit and is a beloved figure among the troonhou community, there would be more cases like this

man i sure motherfucking love not being able to use lightsabers nor anything even resembling one after their inception from literal decades ago
>hurr you just want to copy paste other people's ideas
bear in mind that a company wont hesitate to ass rape you over petty similarities so you have to walk on eggshells troughout the entire creative process and pray to god you didnt miss anything
and there is so much fucking media already as it is that nearly every fucking idea you could think of has already been copyrighted at this point, eventually no one except titanic companies would be able to even TOUCH an art style if we let things continue to run their current course
we NEED copyright reform to benefit US the people and we need it NOW

You're so transparent. You don't care about creative freedom, you just want to be able to leech off of other people's hard work without (rightful) punishment. You want to write a story about Spider-Man being a gay space pirate? Go ahead. The whole law shouldn't have to change just so you can write that glorified nonsense.

>if you cant use an idea within 20 fucking years to make a profit you're a genetic failure, and you forget that you'd have more liberty to derive from other media if we had a more liberal copyright system, i mean really, twenty fucking years isnt enough for you?

Fuck off. You've never done or created anything your whole life.

Or maybe some creators just wanna give up their work after 20 years because there are still stories they wanna tell... like Mignola or Oda

2 more years fuckers , and this ass hole is ours

Attached: Mickey-Mouse-Steamboat-Willie.jpg (800x600, 38.82K)

>don't wanna

>You want to write a story about Spider-Man being a gay space pirate?
nope
i want to make my own art without fear of getting ass raped out of nowhere by literal who company#10497250934760467 because a fictional creature i created just so happens to resemble one of their literal thousands of "mons"
>you just want to be able to leech off of other people's hard work without (rightful) punishment.
if your hard work is going to be hoarded indefinitely by greedy billionaires for all eternity then you might as well not have made it, i mean really why create something and not leave it behind in the public domain after entire decades before you die so you contribute to the artistic culture of the community? walt disney's legacy is still being milked decades after hes already fucking died and now the cultural icon mickey mouse is a symbol for corporate greed when it could be used freely by anyone after its author has long since passed instead of being milked by greedy pigs for all eternity
>The whole law shouldn't have to change just so you can write that glorified nonsense.
funny you say that cause copyright was much more reasonable and benefited everyone better than it does now, now its just a battering ram used by giant companies to crush anyone who would dare to make a product that even somewhat resembles their """ip"""
>lol that doesnt happen
YES IT FUCKING DOES FAGGOT
they literally tried to copyright characters WEARING GLOVES and THE LOOK AND FEEL OF TETRIS as well as PACMAN EYES
>Fuck off. You've never done or created anything your whole life.
literally what the flaming fuck would you know what ive done faggot? as i already stated i dont want to walk on eggshells cause im scared of literal fucking who companies suing me into bankruptcy for some vague similarity in whatever piece of media i create, i dont want to be yet another indie faggot making white blob characters because every other conceivable idea resembles this show or that game

>creative person is incapable of creativity
You're a fraud.