Reboot Archie vs. IDW Sonic

Both of these have around the same number of issues now to make a fair comparison. So, which one was better? Which attempt at directly expanding the world and lore of the games worked best (the games are canon to both series)? Which had the highest highs and the lowest lows?

Attached: archidw.jpg (1280x984, 527.34K)

They are about the same.

The loss of the Freedom Fighters has really proven that none of them were really worth having around.

My take is this:
IDW has the advantage of being directly tied to a particular game: Forces. As such, everything can build off of that. Reboot, however, had to cram in a lot of different lore at once.

Reboot Archie is way better as it quickly establishes a world while introducing a tone of new characters and factions apart from Eggman and the Freedom Fighters. They also had Sonic Universe which helped add more to the world building and set up future plots for the main comic.

I'm waiting for IDW 50 to come out and compare that to Archie's.

Attached: robotnik death.jpg (656x1024, 699.53K)

I mean Archie's 50th issue was apart of a big story that took multiple issues and currently nothing seems to be happening for IDW's 50th issue since the last story was just a one-shot, I just hope it's not going to be the imposters because that would be a let down

>The loss of the Freedom Fighters has really proven that none of them were really worth having around.
Even in the early days of the comic they could barely justified their existence.

Attached: puppy_love__color__by_zizum_defq0zg-fullview.jpg (1280x1463, 236.78K)

>I just hope it's not going to be the imposters because that would be a let down
user...

The solicits have been saying that everything is leading to issue 50. We already know Imposter Syndrome is part of it and maybe Belle but that's it. It is weird how the main comic has been mostly filler for a while.

Late Origonal Archie>IDW=Archie Reboot>Early Archie

IDW is the gentrification of Sonic comics
It's good
It's fine
But it'll never take risks
It'll never challenge the status quo
What it can do is far, far limited

The Archie Comics are superior for
-Better artists
-Better stories
-Better secondary cast
-Sonic Universe spinoff

The IDW comics are so fucking sterile and bland. Everything is a self contained arc that goes back to the mercurial status quo, with only Tangle and Whiper given any growth.

>-Better secondary cast
Agreed.

Attached: 1634880182667.jpg (1280x1182, 387.42K)

I've never read any of the Archie comics, only browse the comic covers in the Mega Collection videogame. I just want to see each issues most cringe, awful page because something about it's artistic reputation just seems so fucking... gratifying. I don't know of any website that show off highlights of the terribleness that is the Archie comics.

Goddamn it's crazy how the Egg Bosses shit over all the villains in IDW. If you brought ONLY them to IDW they'd fuel the comics for years.

He said post reboot
That collection was pre-reboot

Oh right, sorry. I honestly don't know anything about the reboot.

Reboot easy. The subboses alone allowed Sonic to bounce off someone besides Eggman while still moving Eggy's goals forward and keeping him relevant.

Also it had classic Honey and Big Bird which makes it auto win.

Attached: 1648189693004.jpg (927x1479, 756.1K)

Both of them are terrible.

Archie is only better when compared to IDW. On it's own, it's not very good.

You've never read them.

Reboot >Preboot to Endgame > IDW > Preboot post-Endgame

>gentrification
Isn't this a good word?
I don't know much about Archie but anons keep complaining IDW is struggling to gitgud at art and plot. And sometimes the story the panels tell seem to miss a beat.
That's not really gentrification. Especially if you believe anons about "Archie had loads of stories like the metal virus but IDW only has the metal virus".

>Both of these have around the same number of issues now to make a fair comparison.
You're not counting Universe issues.

IDW/gaemfag cope.

The current IDW comic is abysmal, specifically because it is a poor copy of the Archie universe.

I think you have to be the kind of vile coomer who only faps to lesbians to like IDW shit.

>lesbians
Yeah, I too thought that was a girl.

Attached: Doctor Starline.png (360x450, 148.39K)

Both are bad because they have the same horrible writers. The main premise of both comic series is the villains do evil and the heroes let them get away.

Archie by a far margin. They made a world that includes every possible Sonic canon into one seamless package. Along with having a story that manages to move along at a good pace without making itself like a slow drag.

And it already has OC characters that are worth of a shit, compared to IDW's characters that barely make a dent on the comic.

Attached: 1648942215512.png (449x480, 161.8K)

It has connotations with sterility, inoffensiveness, lowest common denominator, and only surface level appealing

Sally went through various style changes

Attached: EeiPGMSUEAAwm1r.jpg (1608x2048, 313.99K)

That's not even including the prototype and super early Archie versions of her. Not to mention the reboot. Then there's the Fleetway version.

Attached: fleetway sally.jpg (1600x597, 665.62K)

One have the FF the other not
So far I choose idw

>The loss of the Freedom Fighters has really proven that none of them were really worth having around

No duh in the end they're just tertiary characters who's impact on the franchise is insignificant. They're not breakout hits and they're not even widely recognised outside the most dedicated fans.

The majority of people aware of Sonic won't be aware of them. So it really doesn't matter whether the comic has them or a new set of characters.

This is massive, pure undiluted cope.

The reality is Sally and most of the Freedom Fighters are highly recognizable and anyone who identifies as a Sonic fan knows who they are. The cartoons exist forever online and new fans experience the old.
Sally and the Freedom Fighters changed Sonic forever, and you can't deal with it.

I think a big thing hampering IDW is precisely because Sonic’s been in this big limbo creatively since Forces. We get tons of lore and media stuff but we never get any payoff for it (especially the two world shit that ultimately didn’t actually be demonstrated), so they have to spin their wheels until Sega gives them a proper green light to incorporate the games directly into the comics. Since Flynn is actually working on Frontiers directly and they’ve pretty much gotten rid of the writers they used the past decade, I think both the game and the comic have the potential to fully reinvent itself into something with a lot more direction and confidence.

Flynn also seems to have taken a more pro Sega slant over the years, wanting to push the FF more and more into the background as team B, with characters like Amy Rose, Shadow, and Rouge to be part of the main plot. He also sabotoged a story where the original Robotnik was meant to return stating new readers would not understand two Robotniks co existing, and becoming enraged when called out on Sonic Generations doing exactly that.

I would disagree. Mostly because even with the Freedom Fighters gone, I can still remember their names about a good 60~70% of the time.

As for the others members of the more current run, I forget they exist at times and have to remind myself they aren't new characters every time they disappear for a a couple issues to reappear later.

I don't know if the old FFs were just more memorable or that the new just don't have enough staying power to really get me invested long term.

Nicole should've gotten a human boyfriend.

>quickly
It spent almost it's entire three year run setting things up for later and not writing actual stories.

IDW ironically ended up doing the same thing for two years before finally doing something.

Mental illness. Kill yourself

>art
Not really. IDW probably has the best art Sonic comics have ever had. Maybe a couple of Ben Bates' issues on Archie were better.

That just sounds more like a side effect of the mishmash that is the Archie Sonic comic universe. Flynn’s also been very upset about the whole two worlds thing openly, so I doubt he’d be afraid of pushing back against ideas, and I also doubt Sega wishes to have another Forces debacle all over again.

rotorniggerfaggot kill yourself

no you kill yourself first you sodomized nigger faggot fuck you i fucking hate your guts

IDW started worse but has ended up better. Archie's reboot started okay but dragged so hard that it failed to do anything.

People will fill in the blanks themselves and suggest the reboot is better, but it just had more dangling plot hooks.

>129881303
You have got to be a very petulant pathetic being if you are really getting highly triggered over a particular user I know.

Attached: 84654387423.png (591x447, 266.03K)

Based.

Based.

Kill yourself.

Based.

Kill yourself.

Kill yourself.

>Archie's reboot started okay but dragged so hard that it failed to do anything.
It spent the entirety of it's being an Unleashed adaption and another Megaman crossover. It also only ran for 3 years, so there's that.

Attached: amy_and_rouge_style_mix_by_fivey_d72awdc-fullview.jpg (1280x1467, 299.18K)

rotorniggerfaggot kill yourself

Attached: spring_break_amy_by_jalin_atsuko_ling_dc63uwh-fullview.png (1024x1024, 788.1K)

>FFs
I think Bunnie, Antione, and Rotor could work as minor team, but Sally doesn't since her deal is being leader, but that doesn't really work since most of the Sonic cast are individuals who team based on circumstances. Hell, even the Chaotix more often than not tend to show up separate from the others.

Attached: de9n91a-70c7fabf-1de7-486d-aee1-c3de4427c058.png (1305x1532, 3.15M)

No? The reality Is more and more people ask who are these furry shits
Even Ian confirm people that want the FF are a minority that is not worth pandering.
Sorry grandpa, they are history and now they life in the cementery of forgotten characters.

>129881633
Yeah, sure, I will tell him he's based when I hit him up. In the meanwhile, enjoy making friends on the asylum there.

Sally damn near had an amusement park in the kangaroo Sega World. Somebody gave a fuck about them at some point.

Please fix your horrible English before ever commenting on anything, Pablo.

>Sally damn near had an amusement park in the kangaroo Sega World.
>Thinking Australia's opinions mean anything

I'm like 80% sure normalfag know more about AoStH then they do Satam.

Attached: amy_rose_dtiys__entry_by_ht_doodles_dejq9v9-fullview.jpg (1280x1811, 186.91K)

>It spent the entirety of it's being an Unleashed adaption
Very little of it used Unleashed as anything more than a vague status quo and that's no excuse for bad writing.
>It also only ran for 3 years, so there's that.
At a rate of two comics every month.

It was barely much of an Unleashed adaptation, mostly just a reason for the FFs to travel the new world. Most of it was episodic little arcs like the Universe series, the Fighters arc being the best one

She had a robot boyfriend.

Attached: comm__shard_and_nicole_by_drawloverlala_dd63r64-fullview.jpg (600x630, 77.72K)

I'm gonna have to disagree. I haven't read it all but a lot of the art is a lot more I guess I'll say lifeless than the good Archie art.

Attached: 1*U_ncJYWYTiG8dOoOKqf3Rg.png (1049x664, 1.29M)

Well I read all of Reboot Archie and wanted more while I dropped IDW because I got bored with it and the glimpses I've seen of it in storytimes since haven't made me want to read it so I'll go reboot Archie.
As for OCs Archie definitely had the better ones, reboot and pre-boot. Sure there was some garbage too but the good was still good.

Citing Spaz's art isn't really being fair to IDW.

Attached: 1629789227569.png (1111x884, 500.66K)