Is it plausible to create an entire feature-length animated film mostly on your own or with a very small team of people?

Is it plausible to create an entire feature-length animated film mostly on your own or with a very small team of people?

Attached: 2kTP7hNidExxxTbLR4xTFX.jpg (920x517, 68.22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sita_Sings_the_Blues
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_&_Juliet:_Sealed_with_a_Kiss
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_(2019_film)
awn.com/forum/thread/1006261
cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/yes-one-animator-made-the-cg-animated-feature-away-on-his-own-172803.html
cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/here-are-3-nearly-solo-produced-animated-features-to-watch-out-for-204453.html
screamerclauz.com/
youtu.be/Ll-nbQ9BxxY
youtube.com/watch?v=O7hgjuFfn3A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sure but you'd be dead by the time you finish.

You'd need a lot of dedication, money, and luck, I'm guessing.

Yes but it'd be expensive

No. Best you can do is contract a team of people to work with you to create maybe a ten minute long short and upload it to Youtube to promote a novel or comic in hopes that someone in the industry will consider

Yes. Between all the following sources I count about a dozen.

The best one is probably Sita Sings the Blues
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sita_Sings_the_Blues

Another one I know about is Romeo & Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_&_Juliet:_Sealed_with_a_Kiss

Another one is Away
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_(2019_film)

Here are some more posts with other examples of the genre:

awn.com/forum/thread/1006261

cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/yes-one-animator-made-the-cg-animated-feature-away-on-his-own-172803.html

cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/here-are-3-nearly-solo-produced-animated-features-to-watch-out-for-204453.html

I wish there were a more comprehensive list of the things, but it's hard enough finding some studio-produced features. At least those have Wikipedia articles, though.

Yeah. With advances in technology. I think the coolest but yet the most schizo and dystopian idea I had would be extract images from the brain and digitally transfer them on a server to decode and process. Take a hyperphantasia person, have them draft the animated movie in their brain and just extract it from the brain to decode and process into a full fledge animated movie. Imagine 2d or 3d animated movies created in a fraction of the time it would physically and would require hundreds of talented individuals and millions of dollars all done with a small team or even a single person with photorealistic imagination with this hypothetical device.

Attached: 1649557280141.jpg (1322x1653, 314.86K)

No.
Not even Ralph Bakshi, who proposed this, thinks it's feasible.

Jimmy ScreamerClauz is another one person animator, his work's the definition of "edgy" though

screamerclauz.com/

youtu.be/Ll-nbQ9BxxY

If it's limited amimation, yes. Disney style? Never. Give up.

You would have to be Disney, with Disney money, and get a whole different team out artists, musicians, and etc.

Possible? Yea sure. In theory it should be hella doable.
But you'd have to be absolutely fucked in the head to try though.
The more people you have on the team the better.

Is it possible? Yes.
Is it possible for someone that frequents this site? Fuck no. Shitposting takes too many hours in the day.

Normally, god no.

But nowadays, absolutely. The thing is, you are never doing animation "on your own". You can purchase all the software that took hundreds of people to write the code and design. You can buy the models and like shows you. A lot of people worked on them, too. Indirectly, you are still working together on a project.

I would argue that money isn't a problem either. With the exception of video cards shortage, technology costs are crazy affordable. And the software can be pirated if you can't afford it.

No, your enemy is TIME. Whether you need to study to get good or already good, time is going to be against you ever step of the way. For one, if you're working on this, how are you working a job that makes you money you need to survive? This is something I learned long ago so I spent a decade savings. Now, I can afford to reduce my hours at work while I work on my projects and slowly draw from that savings.

As far as training yourself, you have two options: college and self-teach. Both have MASSIVE hurdles to overcome. The first is risk of the loan. Unless you have a wealthy family footing the bill, you're taking on debt you cannot declare bankruptcy on. And you have to juggle full-time college and a job (did that, not fun).

If self-teaching, someone on reddit crunched the numbers and talked with others and they agreed about 1000hrs a year is average spent for learning time needed at college. That includes classes, homework, reading, etc. Good luck doing that while working a job that puts food on the table.

Not saying it's impossible, but you should know what you're up against. I'm learning graphic design for digital (thinking of crowd funding an app). I work full-time, have health insurance, have about 120k in the bank, zero debt, and low living cost (live at home and rent split three-ways) and even I don't think my chances are good. I'm having to cheat every possible way I can find (pirate program and books)

You can certainly try, you'd just have to be more dedicated than somebody making a 20 minute pilot. And those are already make up a long and tedious production cycle.

Technically yes, but the amount of time it would take would be astronomical and thats assuming it could be done by one person in the span of a working lifetime.

For you

If you and four other people are disciplined enough to work 12, 14 hours a day on the movie and cooperate without hindering progress, and if the writing and directing was locked in from the start (no changes every other week) then yes.

The level of professionalism it requires is beyond the average person.

You need a team of seasoned industry veterans willing to work tirelessly like fresh-out-of-school upstarts.

Attached: i want to fuck that professional.png (2667x2000, 848.38K)

That or insanity and lower standards.

Probably not unless you're rich and have a lot of spare time.

Sure, but the production time will be determined by whatever quality standard you set for yourself.

Yes
Granted it's gonna take a while and the quality will definitely show that it was a one man project, but with good writing and a unique style you can make it work if you're skilled enough.

Attached: 23454325432.jpg (1280x720, 183.06K)

Yes

"Voices Of A Distant Star"

"Anime, done on a mac by one man, dubbed originally by him and his wife, primarily 2D though includes some 3D"

>tfw nobody remembers mdotstrange
>made a trilogy of movies basically entirely by himself
>each one clocks in over three hours
>they're all uncompromising arthouse tier animation

really? I thought he gave a whole speech about how people complaining about the industry should just starve themselves for a year and make their own movie with a few friends.

The simplest and easiest example I can think of is Detective Heart of America, which is "puppetry"

disgusting 3d, and not even avant-garde 3d

mid take

>entire feature-length animated film mostly on your own
Technology is there to make a film on your own. But you'll need a lot of time. A LOT of time. If you're thinking traditional or tradigital you are looking at 20+years. I started a CGI short film project(aiming for 30 mins) on my own and it's been almost 2 years and I'm not even 50% done. Just first year was all about learning the tools and getting my skill levels to where I wanted. I didn't really reach there, but I decided to work on it anyways. I now have to go back and redo some previous shots because I'm getting better as I make this film. (Just to be clear, I majored in film so there was some previous knowledge regarding script, storyboarding, editing software etc. I also have a job. I don't have infinite money. If I could focus on my project 24/7 I would have reached to this point maybe a half year ago)

let me know when you're ready for avant-garde 3d

Oh and yes I incorporate "free assets". And it's still taking me this long. If I did all textures, background models all by myself it would've taken more time

Sure champ, lets see what you think is avant garde 3d.

Al and Al (alandal.co.uk/)
Albert Omoss (omoss.io/)
Alex McLeod (alxclub.com/)
Barry Doupe (barrydoupe.ca/)
Claudia Hart (claudiahart.com/)
Cool 3D World (cool3dworld.com/)
Dave Fothergill (vimeo.com/davefothergillvfx)
Dave Stewart (vimeo.com/davegrafix)
Drages Animation (youtube.com/user/drakhean)
El Popo Sangre (vimeo.com/elpoposangre)
Esteban Diacono (estebandiacono.com)
Eva Papamargariti (evapapamargariti.tumblr.com/)
Filip Tarczewski (vimeo.com/ftarczewski)
Geoffrey Lillemon (geoffreylillemon.com/website/)
Jacolby Satterwhite (jacolby.com/home.html)
Jesse Kanda (jessekanda.com/)
John Butler (vimeo.com/user3946359)
Jonathan Monaghan (jonmonaghan.com/)
Jun Seo Hahm (vimeo.com/junseohahm)
Kathleen Daniel (duh-real.com/)
Katie Torn (katietorn.com/index.html)
Kim Laughton (kimlaughton.tumblr.com/)
Kouhei Nakama (kouheinakama.com/)
LuYang (luyang.asia/)
Mike Pelletier (mikepelletier.net/)
Nic Hamilton (nichamilton.info/)
Pussykrew (hybrid-universe-emulation.net/)
Rick Silva (ricksilva.net/)
Sanatorios (instagram.com/sanatorios/)
Zeitguised (zeitguised.com)

>youtube.com/watch?v=O7hgjuFfn3A
It will take your entire life user

Depends on your speed. Some people like Ian Hubert and Melodysheep can crank shit out rapid fire, though the latter isn't exactly animation heavy.

This is all NFT art.

Theoretically, yes. If you have
>talent in multiple fields (such as drawing, animating, painting backgrounds, composing music, voice-acting, writing a story, editing out scenes that don't work)
>money to hire people who can do stuff that you're not capable of doing
>lots of time to work on the film
>enough motivation to finish what you're working on
Most people don't have even one of those, let alone all of them. But some do have what it takes, like this user mentioned These days there are a lot of art programs and online tutorials that make it easier and cheaper than ever for an artist to successfully create an animated project all alone. The biggest problems are IMO finding the time and determination for such a project.

If you go artsy and experimental instead of aiming for a Disney look, something like Don Hertzfeldt's movies could be within the realms of possibility.

>Is it plausible to create an entire feature-length animated film mostly on your own or with a very small team of people?
yes.

Incorrect

That’s nice and all but where’s the feature length trilogy?

>That’s nice and all but where’s the feature length trilogy?

Attached: 1649583665873.jpg (556x544, 61.31K)

>he has no examples of a feature length trilogy

Attached: 3822789A-EFFC-4BF0-87CC-5AC9F4790381.jpg (1634x1223, 252.46K)

It will take you years.....and probably won't make the money back even with the fact that computers stream lined the process a lot.

Have you not heard of Sita Sings the Blues, or It's Such a Beautiful Day? Both were done by one person.

TONS of people make great indie films all on their own, but animation is an entirely different ballpark. Less common, more tedious.

Sita Sings the Blues was done by a few people, but you're right about It's such a Beautiful Day

I think it is possible, and something I wish would happen more often.
In my view, the words ‘industry’ and ‘art’/‘animation’ shouldn’t have ever gone together. The industrialization of art and animation wasn’t really great for the creativity and future of the craft. Independent animation is helping the medium recover and go back to it’s roots as an outlet of raw, human creativity.
/autistic commie rant over

>I have created a new goalpost because me being btfo the first time didn't count

Attached: 1636183744227.jpg (452x363, 69.64K)

>schizo thinks I’m the same guy
How many more soijacks you got in the collection, non-trilogy user?

>three means good

Attached: Ed-OvehXYAEuv4X.png (827x1200, 713.25K)

lol You haven’t even named a single feature length film at all, just copy-pasted a bunch of links.

it's about avant-garde 3d, not about who made 3 movies

Andrew Hussie did it in Flash, abit with some minor Art Contributors.
He largely cheated tho and used mostly still images moving for brief clips, not really traditional animation. But the audience seemed to care less so it works.

>“I get to decide what the discussion is REALLY about!”
That is pretty avant-garde of you user, posting in a thread about independent animated feature length films and making it about your ‘muh 3d’ hang-up instead.

Look if you can't handle the avant-garde that's on you. We're done here kid, see you in the funny pages.

Attached: jan.jpg (650x637, 63.83K)

I accept your concession.

If the third part of Cencoroll comes out by the end of the decade, it will essentially demonstrate that someone can make a feature-length animated film in roughly 25 years.

I know Emily Youcis is very controversial, but she completed the Alfred Alfer Movie in 2020 and started working on it in the 2010s I believe. So it is possible to make a feature-length animated movie within a decade, depending on how hard you work and what the animation style is.

Attached: 41E52931-897A-4DED-810F-72579DC996E7.png (824x476, 444.59K)

ENTER

Attached: Adventures-of-Prince-Achmed.jpg (2400x1348, 548.28K)

which software is used for cartoon making?