Why is "taking yourself too seriously" or "being too serious" considered a valid criticism of media?

Why is "taking yourself too seriously" or "being too serious" considered a valid criticism of media?

Attached: 1637797415769(2).jpg (500x482, 67.86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooBleakStoppedCaring
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Narm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why do you make this thread every day?

Remember when we had Preteena threads? Those were the days

Attached: Life Is Good.jpg (800x988, 340.55K)

It's an emotional avoidance strategy. You might say they're coping.

Why so serious?

Attached: 1584443828793.jpg (480x360, 8.21K)

Marvel films are made for children user.

>It's for kids so it's meant to be shit

Blame Seth MacFarlane.
>It insists upon itself

Kids films being serious requires skill. Kids films constantly relieving any sort of pressure doesn't. Afterwards people will remember that they felt completely unthreatened but they liked the one with the hammer and want him on a backpack.

It's not meant to be shit it's meant to be easy.

Because he needs validation.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooBleakStoppedCaring
and
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Narm
Also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathos

>First one references conflict, not tone.
>Second one has barely anything to do with it
>Neither does the third one
>Using TVtropes to begin with

Your illiteracy isn't a good look and you don't deserve more effort than some tvtropes links.

>films are made for children user.

>Using TVtropes at all
This guy legit thought that I'd take an article from TVtropes seriously.

There is a world of difference between a setting being too dark and a movie or comic refusing to take itself seriously. Something causes darkness induced apathy if it feels depressing to watch and just makes you feel shitty, that doesn't mean that adding jokes would suddenly make it better. At that point the problem is with the entire setting.

What Joss Whedon's style of bathos does is that it removes the stakes from a confrontation or makes a villain look like a clown. Watch Avenger 2012 or Age of Ultron and tell me that you take Loki or Ultron seriously as a threat. Because I sure don't.

A movie that does bathos well is Aquaman. It's funny, yet Oceanmaster still feels like a threat. It's called moderation.

its so you don't realize the build up to the emotional scene was cheap and by the books

Attached: desuarchive.org_co_search_text_Why%20is%20%22taking%20yourself%20too%20seriously%22%20_type_op_.png (1348x2881, 1.14M)

Attached: desuarchive.org_co_search_text_What%20is%20up%20with%20this%20obsession%20with%20labeling%20_capcode_user_type_op_filter_text_.png (1348x2699, 1.27M)

Attached: desuarchive.org_co_search_image_VMQS8Ps_a_DDoJ6QKnv5yQ_.png (1348x7891, 3.06M)

Attached: desuarchive.org_co_search_text_Making%20fun%20of%20edgy%20characters%20is%20a%20sign%20of%20low%20emotional%20intelligence%20and%20insecurity._type_op_filter_text_.png (1348x1764, 851.56K)

Okay that's all I'm gonna bother looking for, pretty sure OP has more examples but I can't sustain my autism for much longer

Attached: desuarchive.org_co_search_image_FX1oxrD_oADivNAn3FQXNQ_.png (1348x3493, 2.17M)

Wow, a threads being repeated. The ghastly horror. Not like the entirety of this of this board is repeated posts.

Kill yourself OP it's the edgiest thing you could do

So was Spiderman 2002

Iron Man 1 had a good balance of both and was good

That is Marvel retard

Yes, I just showed you a superhero movie meant for kids that doesn't act childish 24/7
Marvel movies are not meant for kids, they are meant for mentally ill neckbeards.

Law of Jante.

Attached: plinkett.jpg (928x676, 204.77K)

Bump

Cope

Bump

Because society works off of a pendulum. After the success of the dark Knight and watchmen we got a plethora of shitty super serious super melodramatic dark n gritty superhero movies and adventure films (remember when we went through that phase of dark and gritty retellings of fairy tales?). Once the market became saturated with all that garbage having levity and irony became a breath of fresh air. We are already seeing with movies like Matt Reeves Batman that the pendulum is beginning to swing back two more serious narratives after a decade of silly and ironic comic book movies

Fairytales were already dark and gritty. This is just your brain on American pop culture.

No one gives a fuck what fairy tales were like 100 years ago. From at least the 80s to the early 2010s fairy tales were Disney adventures and that's what the public expectation was

>No one gives a fuck
Is nothing more than a pathetic thought terminating cliche. Fairy tales have been like this for hundreds of years and just because the average person is incredibly ignorant of culture doesn't mean that these stories can't be dark.

No one gives a fuck.

>No arguments

And of course, both ends of the pendulum suck.
Don't shy away from the silly, unrealistic stuff, but don't make it into a joke either: just play it all straight, and while it may seem dumb to them at first, the audience will become invested I'm the characters and captured by the wild ideas.

Because sometimes the genre isn't supposed to be serious.
Imagine a rom-com but all the characters act too serious. Boy, you're watching a telenovela, not a rom-com.

No one jives a duck.

When everything you do is a joke you can claim to laugh along.

Because it's very hard to take a bunch of men in tights fist fighting alien robots seriously, any capeshit movie that does try to be all deep and serious inevitably ends up just feeling very tonally schizophrenic because on the one hand you're getting monologues about the natural of man all while a guy on a motorcycle plays chicken with a clown.

Stop using TVTropes.

Attached: tvtropes articles.png (900x2200, 682.36K)

Can you take literally any fiction seriously?

This, its a the MickeyD's of cinema

Why are you so fucking obsessed with this, you goddamn schizo?

Are there more of other popular pages?
I can almost see the nightmare fuel one

By your retarded logic: all of these things are goofy and cannot be taken seriously:
> Marvel
> DC
> Star Wars
> Any kind of musical
> Anything that uses puppets
> Nearly every fucking fable/fairy tale in existence
Because if it has even a hint of whimsy or anything deviating from realism you say it is a travesty and "trying too hard".
Captcha: NDNRG

BASED.

FUCK this stupid, cynical age of post-irony; the era where everyone acts like self-conscious teenagers. God forbid you show any sort of unironic passion/shameless whimsy.

Attached: 1618629536293.jpg (842x1024, 188.41K)

Never given in to the social pressure to be disingenuous and unfeeling, and if someone ever calls something "edgy," call them the lying faggot they are. Godspeed you Anons.

Attached: Based.png (1831x1419, 916.13K)

It's funny that Whedon gets the blame for this. I mean I know it stems from him, but it's not his fault they get the balance wrong. Whedon has horrible tragedy throughout a lot of his shows that doesn't get undercut, to the point of sometimes seeming excessively cruel.

>all of these things are goofy and cannot be taken seriously
Yes

BLIMEY M8 U JUST GOT FOCKIN WREKT M8 INNIT SWER ON ME MUM

Attached: mr knight.jpg (878x1370, 195.98K)

Until fuckers ruined it by being creepers, yeah, they were great. Wish I could find the sketch art someone made of her praying. Someone took my request, and it was actually really nicely done.

Attached: 1649392658359.jpg (500x440, 136.74K)

Early MCU
>Jokes fit the mood of the scene and allowed characters some downtime
>Reflected the character's attitude (Thor smashing a coffee cup on Earth because that's what they do in Asgard)
>Pic related, jokes were done after the major battle
Modern MCU
>Jokes are forced into every scene
>Characters make jokes that don't reflect their character traits
>Inserting modern memes
MCU used to be great

>By your retarded logic: all of these things are goofy and cannot be taken seriously:
You know user...
THEY DO GENUINELY BELIEVE THAT.

>We are already seeing with movies like Matt Reeves Batman that the pendulum is beginning to swing back two more serious narratives after a decade of silly and ironic comic book movies
WHY THE FUCK THAT FLYING RAT ALWAYS GET AWAY WITH IT.

>MCU used to be great
Thor 1, Iron Man 1, and The Incredible Hulk all felt like they we're movies first, franchises second. You could watch them independently of the source material and other movies, and come away with a full experience. Furthermore, if you had a knowledge of the source material, it enriched the experience by being faithful enough to the originals to be recognizable, while still being an exciting new experience. Thor 1 has far more stuff from the comics than any of the later Thor movies, and actually does feel like it's adapted from them, whereas the later MCU movies all feel like they want people to think they're "more accurate" to the comics through superficial elements like less departed costumes, and appearances from things like Rock Creatures or Beta Ray Bill, even though the actual substance of the movie is completely departed from the source material, and in the case of Thor, even the other movies. Thor in Ragnarok doesn't feel remotely like the same character in Thor 1, he feels like Blonde Tony Stark. It's sad, because I recently started reading more of the comics since I'm generally more familiar with the cartoon adaptations of Marvel, and realized I genuinely do love Marvel's stories and characters, and the MCU has completely ruined them. It's such a waste of potential.

Attached: 1556424686270.png (785x788, 283.65K)

The problem started with Avengers 1. Everyone was either OOC or a caricature of themselves and quipped so often you'd think it was a comedy club.

Couldn't agree more. The fact that people will die on that movie's hill is utterly baffling. It was shit in 2012, and it's shit now. I legitimately have no idea what people see in it.