Public Domain Superheroes

Anything interesting that has no copyright protection?

Attached: MeWKJCJlmXg-HD.jpg (1280x720, 115.69K)

How does it fill that with the original laws of copyright all DC heroes would be public?

the heroes of Centaur Comics are public domain. off the top of my head this includes
>The Arrow (not to be confused with The Green Arrow
the first superhero to have a bow and arrow gimmick.
>The Eye
giant eyeball ring thing that glows and really likes distributing justice
>Amazing-Man
who fun fact was co-created by Bill Everett, best known as the creator of Namor, the Sub-Mariner. and co creator of Daredevil and The Zombie.

I still say Boy King has potential with some rework and less WW2 propaganda.

Not sure if much of current history would repeat i.e. Batman the animated series, teen titans, in which case there's at least a small chance I would've never gotten into any version until much later. I went from animation/live action to comics and go back and forth between them.

anyways, i'm making a superhero universe based on public domain superheroes and other fiction.
anyone have any suggestions for sources to draw from?
so far i'm using
>the works of Fletcher Hanks
>Nedor Comics' heroes
>Lev Gleason Publications' heroes
>Centaur Comics' heroes
>the Lovecraft Mythos (even have an older version of Herbert West on the team i'm using
>stand ins for technically-public-domain-but-still-trademarked characters. like Capt. Marvel, Plastic Man, Peacemaker, and the Blue Beetle.
>heroes from Yea Forums's creation thread
>the horror staples, Frankenstein and Dracula.

Ok, whats the difference between trademark and copyright, for what the little I know copyright just means you can reprint comics but trademark keeps you from making your own Superman stories.

Trademark protects things like the likeness of a character, their name. elements of their mythos. any iconic logos. what have you.
Copyright protects the work themselves,
i am an actual retard, but this is what i have gleamed. don't take my advice, i'm not a lawyer nor do i play one on tv

The guys from that one comics with public domain characters like the Green Lama, Boy King, the Super American etc would probably be a decent source or at least public domain characters to use.

In short? Just legal babble nonsense so when one expire or doesn't apply, big corporations can still hit you with the other.

Power of Stardust? Yeah that one is pretty good.

Nah, I mean the one that was good until the one where they fight an alien called 'Pandora', which was garbage.
With the American Spirit and all. I forgot the name.

Who published it?

I looked it up and the comic is called 'Project Superpowers'.

I'd take the Masks and put them all on a single tokusatsu style team.
>Red Mask
>Green Mask
>White Mask
>Grey Mask
>Miss Masque

Sky Man, Boy King, Miss Masque and Mr. Face are my favorites.

What would their team name be?
Don't say Maskman because that's taken

Maskmen.

Basically yeah. Action Comics #1 can go into the public domain, but as long as DC is still actively producing Superman content, they control the character trademark and everything associated with him.

Malibu, Dynamite, and Marvel did use Amazing-Man (Malibu had him on the Protectors, Dynamite had him in a crowd shot in Project Superpowers, and Marvel has Prince of Orphans which is basically Amazing-Man with a different superhero name and look)

The law is highly subjective but basically copyright means you can't use the character at all and trademark means you can't use their name, logo, likeness etc. to advertise or sell anything. So for example, you could use Blue Beetle as a character in the interior pages of a comic because the copyright has expired, but because DC owns the trademark you can't call your book Blue Beetle or use the name or likeness on the cover, in promo material, or in any way that may be confused with DC's Blue Beetle.

That thread where anons talked about him making a shota team with Wonder Woman's son and another character I don't remember was pretty fun.

Or the way companies can protect their product brand and stay in business. If you let a dozen companies sell cheap cookies and still call them Oreos for example, you're going to be shutting down and firing everybody pretty soon.

Have you read some of the original Golden Age stories of the Face? Pretty good. The series goes through a phase where different people get ahold of the mask and the hero tries to counter them and regain it,.

Attached: 21 (1).jpg (975x1322, 294K)

I have some images of old public domain heroes. Pretty sure I got them from here years and years ago.

Attached: 3lQE7DV.jpg (1527x952, 456.95K)

Very clearly stated. As I understand it, the crucial factor in trademark is whether sales could be hurt by confusion. If you make, say, as vacuum cleaner called the Wolverine, that would be okay. But trying to publish a fictional character of that name with even the vaguest resemblance to Marvel's character would mean the lawyers would come visit you.

Attached: 4GYsfnB.jpg (1518x967, 416.73K)

Attached: aObbDK7.jpg (1526x966, 253.79K)

>
Big Blue is of course the original Blue Beetle from Victor Fox.

Attached: AXV1p83.jpg (1509x937, 443.84K)

That head fin was pretty popular back in the day right?

Does this mean you can use the name and change the origin/powers how ever you see fit?

Attached: dovZzP2.jpg (1512x979, 420.44K)

This guy would seriously be great if his name weren't fucking Daredevil
By FAR one of the best Golden Age costumes ever made

Attached: Daredevil.jpg (350x339, 58.41K)

Hydro was Hydro-Man, a Bill Everett character I think/

Major Victory seems to be disgusted by Dynamic man's fashion choices.

Attached: GwMztl8.jpg (1527x972, 198.55K)

Senator Armstrong?

Cat was Catman. The Owl was the Black Owl, whose costume for some reason had no black in it.

Attached: LA48e6C.jpg (1515x960, 442.9K)

No,wait. I see the Black Owl in a following illustration. Not sure now who this guy is,

Yeah a lot of these seem to be a slight shift from their original names.

Attached: Nena78s.jpg (1518x958, 399.56K)

Man O Metal is fucking great

Attached: 1394585174888.jpg (640x360, 26.16K)

Attached: OVFU8Q3.jpg (1522x928, 426.26K)

I have the feeling V-Man is fucking the V-boys...

>
All the gigantic characters. Jack Cole's Claw remains genuinely gruesome, crushing people in his hands and cackling insanely as they pop.

Attached: SXqav5f.jpg (1530x949, 414.88K)

Attached: WracRuk.jpg (1537x964, 418.22K)

Well, this is Yea Forums. Everything is about men sodomizing each other or about underage anime girls who are cute. CUTE! This board is never going to move on past that.

Aaaand last one from me.

Attached: zabLfJc.jpg (1509x978, 401.6K)

I'm guessing it's because the original names are being used by DC or Marvel for new characters?

oh shit! its Tim!

Yes.

Attached: Exciting Comics 005-000.jpg (1987x3075, 3.17M)

These look pretty accurate to the originals, except the Liberator had bare legs,.

The Arrow seems to have been based on the serial THE GREEN ARCHER, as was Mort Weisinger's Green Arrow.

It's my headcanon that Tim grew up to become an infamous space pirate.

Attached: 917b8f504b3d9e17b397b207fa0be25d.jpg (2316x1663, 979.24K)

Doesnt he have a giant

But at that point why not use an existing character?

Bucky I can handle, Dusty or Sandy aren't too bad, But Tim!? I'm outta here!

Run away!

Attached: tim.jpg (1280x720, 361.66K)

>Phantasmo
What if Gilderoy Lockhart was buffed and a giant

Based

You make a good point I was just curious

Not if your version is the best, retarded shill. Books existed before copyright laws and their author still became rich off of them.

Keyword: Companies and companies can get fucked.

Yes, he's basically a very good fighter with a magical sword / dagger and a giant that he awakened to defend his country from the nazis (but then moved everyone to the USA become WW2 propaganda).

A few of these guys showed up in Masks a few years back

Attached: Masks #3 000A.jpg (1440x2214, 839.11K)

Their attempt to make Black Terror into a mix of Superman and the Punisher was pretty weird.

I remember thinking that too at the time, the writer really couldn't find a place for him, tried his best I guess

I remember they tried to revive them in something called Project Superpowers in...mid 00's?