“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema. Honestly, the closest I can think of them...

>“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema. Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.” -Martin Scorsese

>"They’re f**king boring as shit. Their scripts are not any fucking good. They're mostly saved by special effects."
- Ridley Scott

>“There used to be studio films. Now there are Marvel pictures. And what is a Marvel picture? A Marvel picture is one prototype movie that is made over and over and over and over and over again to look different.” - Francis Ford Coppola

>“I hate them. I think it’s safe to say that I’ll never [direct one]. They’re noisy and ridiculous. Sometimes you get a good giggle but I don’t know what the thing is with the capes, a grown man in tights. I feel like it must come from pantomime.” - Jane Champion

Attached: 1648642214846.jpg (540x810, 195.49K)

Gonna cry?

>Ridley Scott
Faggot hasn’t made a good movie in 20 years.

I'm sorry, did you come from the past?

Attached: 1626835579083.jpg (678x678, 60.52K)

>Ridley Scott

But otherwise - yeah? Marvel movies are formulaic because they're now the de-factor 'big budget action movie' staples. Every director railing against 'em should admit this isn't an issue of subject-matter but an issue with the Hollywood system itself.

Hollywood only cared for stuff like 'The Godfather' when it made them buckets of cash, however good it may have been. Hence why they rerelease 'classic' films to try and get some of that sweet cinephile money.

And it's not just Disney, Warner Bros are trying to chase this trend. Ultimately it comes down to the issue that's always been prevalent of nobody wanting to take a risk - they see Disney having a successful formula and want to copy it.

I missed the part where that’s my problem

Shouldn't these guys be happy Marvel movies are keeping theatres open and keeping young people interested in cinema? Scorsese especially just seems disconnected with the reality of what cinema is outside of private theatres in LA, the others are just voicing their opinions and that's fine but the amount of seeth about some popular capeshit flicks is embarrassing

These people are mad because the art form they've poured their life and soul into is now being superseded by a soulless company wanting to retell the same stories over and over.

Yeah they are seething lol

And that's a good thing. Marvel movies are trash.

Yeah it's great to see these seasoned professionals throw temper tantrums and show their true colours

Scorsese tried to produce Joker and Ridley Scott is now making cinematic universes based on Alien and Blade Runner. They´re hypocrites

It's nice to see them be passionate and defend the art form they believe in, yes.

As I said Marvel movies are keeping theatres open and keeping young people interested in cinema, trying to tear the whole thing down because some other movies are making more money than you is ridiculous and the opposite of defending the art form.

>Trying to tear the whole thing down because [Insert post hoc rationalization here]
No. They're shitting on them because they suck, regularly push out indie film producers from being shown in theaters and are glorified toy commercials for a soulless company. Stop trying to oversimplify their position to rationalize why movies you're a fan of are getting criticized.

Honest question, do you think if the MCU wasn't as successful as it is, that indie movies would do far better at theaters than they currently do?

I don't really have an issue with most of these complaints. If you don't like a particular type of movie, you're welcome to your opinion. I do think it's fairly shitty to dismiss the work of hundreds if not thousands of industry professionals doing their best to ply their trade simply because they were made by a corporation you don't like, for an audience you don't normally reach.

They wouldn't be getting pushed out of theaters, so yes.

Their position is that they are seething because the MCU is successful as they get pushed to streaming, it is literally that simple. Theatres would be dead if it weren't for Marvel and that is just a fact, the same way directors themselves do "one for you, one for me" to fund their projects theatres need to make money off something like Marvel to stay open

>Jane Champion
>Ridley Scott
Cringelords.

Sources? Links? Evidence?

Is it not impossible to believe they hate them because they just suck?

I think there'd be a lot less theaters to push them out of by this point in time.

THERE WOULD BE NO THEATRES RETARD. Maybe some small private screens for their usual early rollouts but that's it. Streaming and piracy killed the industry not Marvel, the only people who go to movies these days are capeshitters. Nobody goes to R rated movies anymore...unless it's capeshit.

You can tell they are jealous/bitter their movies are being outdone by something they consider childish LOL

>Is it not impossible to believe they hate them because they just suck?
I said that's fine ages ago, that's just their opinion but there are positives to Marvel's existence

>Cinemas make no money because high rents/utilities.
>Competition from steaming which is far cheaper, more choice.
>Drama moved onto TV in a big way back in the 00s with the great shows like Sopranos, creators prefer this format more, TV over movies.
>Big movies actually make cinemas money.
>Gives Disney and the big studios the leverage to set the contracts with cinemas to set how many screens/for how long movies play which reduces competition from other films further.
What Scorcese says about superhero movies being theme park rides is correct but what are you going to do? It's like complaining about how print media is mostly dead or about physical media in general. A niche still exists, like how vinyl came back. Some people like the cinema experience and many cities have cinemas that show a broad range, even niche films. But on the whole they don't make a load of money and creators prefer TV. The budgets for some of these directors movies are also crazy. The Irishman didn't need a budget of $250 million. If you're a money man in Hollywood what would you want to invest in? Do these old directors need such inflated budgets?

Bump

I mean m, I understand where they’re coming from. But when is the last time these guys movies really spoked to an audience under 30.

I’m sure if you ask these guys they would say they make movies for themselves, and not the diverse audience.

Audiences and creators tend to favour series over movies for drama and other genres. Indie movies don't tend to make much anyway. The problem is it is a doubling down that muscles those films out further and further. Disney said to theatres, if you want TFA, you must play it on X amount of screens for X amount of weeks. For other films a cinema or cinema chain might end showing it if it doesn't do well or when demand drops off. But with these contracts they have to have the movie for set time frames. Effectively they have a big say in how the theatres run their business. So indie movies were already say, embattled by taste/streaming, people not wanting to see them in theatres. Then they are steadily muscled out of cinemas making it worse.

The thing is, the solution is already there, speciality cinemas exist all over the place that have mature content, play a variety of stuff. People just like big event movies at the cinema and things with depth at home.

Why Marvel always triggers the pseuds?

They're not pseuds because they happen to be smarter than you

----------------------------> Yea Forums

>I feel like it must come from pantomime
Isn't that most movies since the dawn of film?

tldr

Attached: MV5BZDYyYzAyNjctODM1Mi00ZjE4LWFmNTItZjRmOWUxODA1ODY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg (657x936, 245.65K)

Attached: 91M1WWwOAfL._SL1500_.jpg (1055x1500, 285.03K)

Attached: images.jpg (960x1440, 270.54K)

As for Jane Champion, well, she just outright doesn't matter.

>A Marvel picture is one prototype movie that is made over and over and over and over and over again to look different
Based.

>These people are mad because the art form they've poured their life and soul into
This is nothing new though. Before capeshit it was blockbusters like avatar or independence day. Before that, kung fu and blaxploitation. Before that, westerns. Genre has always kept the lights on so that the art house guys that sneer at it can have a venue.

It's kind of funny how they don't realise that 99% of their audiences would talk about Iron-Man, The Wolf of Wall Street, Gladiator and The Godfather all on the same level. Jane is the only one with a leg to stand on here as normies don't talk about her. I don't really mind these people sharing their opinions, I welcome it but they could also come out and thank Marvel for keeping theatres open and as cringe as it is all these video essays about film making (when made by younger people) are amazing, it's so fun to see passionate people discussing film on such technical levels. Being able to pull a movie apart and examine the writing or directing and articulate what makes it good is just mindblowing compared to when I was younger. I know that isn't directly thanks to Marvel but without them nobody could care about cinema anymore and it wouldn't be always in the public discussion

>be Scorsesse
>big name director
>least controversial director
>cinemas are dying
>decide to make $250Mil mob flick for some reason
>can't get funding
>get pushed to streaming
>your movie fucking sucks
Maybe he just lost his touch and is seething because of that?

None of those old trends stopped other good stuff from existing in great variety
Unlike capeshit
And mainstream movies were also good, unlike capeshit

>capeshitter
>interested in cinema
Pick one and only one

Without capeshit, there wouldn't be an audience filled with uncritical hypetards.
Also the the artsy indie - stupid cgi bukkake is a false dichotomy

Why would theater surviving in the form of capeshit rodeos be a good thing?
They don't have exist at all

Yes capeshitters are interested in cinema and they are the only people willing to pay for it. You are acting like the audiences for movies are wildly different, the Marvel audience makes up 99% of any other movies audience

Ok then why do you care if capeshit is in theatres exclusively and other movies can be on streaming? Is this like personal or something? Nobody is making you watch

If all of capeshit disappeared tomorrow, the AA-budget film wouldn't flourish, cinemas would just close lol

She directed a gay cowboy movie

Maybe not private theatres in LA which is what Scorsese doesn't understand

film and cinema appreciator here

I can confidently say maybe 60% of the people who watched Dune or Licorice Pizza have watched a Marvel movie in the past two years. Less so for Power of the Dog but I'd still put it at like maybe 20%. The idea that people watch Marvel films and literally no other type of movie is insane. Even more so is the company wars argument when there is a definite 100% overlap between people who watched Avengers Infinity War and The Batman.

You don´t see this type of criticism with any other type of capeshit except of Marvel

>ridley scott
>smart
He doesn´t understand his own movies

weirdly you don't even see this type of criticism with the garbage that comes out yearly like Uncharted and The Lost City

>Less so for Power of the Dog but I'd still put it at like maybe 20%.
This is ridiculously low, obviously the Marvel audience is full of children but you would be astonished by the overlap, it's definitely well over 20%. You have to understand that the Marvel audience aren't just fat neckbeard manchildren, they are just normies who like movies. The idea that they are casting someone like Cumbersnatch and not looking for normies is silly. 70% of people (at the absolute minimum) who watched POD have watched a Marvel movie in the past two years.
Normies will talk about Ant-Man and The Godfather while talking about movies they like without skipping a beat.

Didn't Coppola also say that you could interchangably switch scenes between Dune and the new James Bond movie without anyone noticing? I feel he needs to take some pills at this point.

Im putting it that low because no one watched Power of the Dog

Marvel is just a catchall term for popular action movie. Marty would probably say Superman and Batman if you pressed him to name some of these movies he is seething about

It's shit, it create an autince that watches shit and demand more shit, sucks resources and attetion to everything else
They aren't paying for cinema. They are payng for the shit that kills cinema.

So fucking what?
Better dead than like that

The ESL got triggered lmao

Are dunc an LP examples of good movies, lol?
>Normies will talk about Ant-Man and The Godfather while talking about movies they like without skipping a beat.
Eating both shit and steak doesn't not make you a shiteater.
If you watch capeshit and the godfater is becasue you are an uncritical retard who would literally watch anything

>Marvel is just a catchall term for popular action movie. Marty would probably say Superman and Batman if you pressed him to name some of these movies he is seething about
Definitely.

I just know you think Snyder is cinema

user Godfather is capeshit aswell