*gets destroyed by shrek*

*gets destroyed by shrek*

Attached: 131E38A3-4E3F-4C4B-AAB8-28B698EF585C.png (714x1000, 938.19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JRsx0L_Z4c8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I unironically liked the direct-to-video sequel more

Looked kino as fuck. I need to rewatch it.

Atlantis is good, Shrek is drek.

I was OBSESSED with that submarine when I was a kid. It's such a shame it got blown up only a few minutes after it was introduced.

The movie is legit worse without the submarine. I don't care about your magic flying fish.

that was actually the pilot episodes for a TV series that never took off and would have crossed over with gargoyles

user what?

Attached: Audrey.png (540x289, 186.77K)

If Kida just stuck her fat ass on Milo's face and farted it would have beaten that film

Shrek is kino. It's the sequels which are dreck

But I remember the TV series? Am I crazy? There WAS a TV series, right?

>Shrek 2
>Dreck

I remember there being a direct-to-DVD sequel movie.

Shrek 2 is dreck and everything people wrongly accuse the original film of being in hindsight

>october 98 : Antz
>november 98 : Bug's Life, Rugrats film
>may 2001 : Shrek
>june 2001 : Atlantis
Shrek had it easy, being followed by a 2D film not aimed at casual audiences. Antz had the misfortune of being followed by another CG insect film and an adaptation of one of 90s' most popular cartoons

it was definitely an improvement over Titan AE and El Dorado, as far as these type of 2D adventure films aimed at boys went. Even during those experimental days, WDAS was above the competition

They took the opening three episodes of a proposed tv series, stretched them together, and out them as a movie.

What's Milo showing Tarzan?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 11.28K)

Also clumsily slapped on a "ATLANTIS RISES TO THE SURFACE" ending.

Ayup. The Gargoyle comics even referenced it. The Whitmore Expeditions and the Atlantean crystals were a plot point.

His dick

>Atlantis is old school Jules Verne, Robert Louis Stevenson, Indiana Jones style adventure brimming with creativity and fantasy action
>Shrek has talking animals and pastries dancing to trendy music and making fart jokes
It was over before it began, really.

Attached: 1269750812519.jpg (576x432, 66.59K)

Shrek and Atlantis had more substance and edge than Monsters Inc later that year. That film is amusing, yet also bland and childlish by comparison. It's a good thing that Pixar grew some balls with Nemo, cause they became sorta bland in the late 90s/year 2000

We really do live in a society

>lonely introvert rejected by society finds his solitude interrupted by exciled intruders. He goes on a quest to return things to how they were. Along the way, he finds friendship/acceptance from an unlikely place and learns to love/be loved
you can't deny Shrek told a compelling story and had a witty script. It wasn't the pop songs and fart jokes that made it a blockbuster. Audiences weren't that shallow

it self destructed, it was doomed from the start

I dunno, that seems like a pretty decent vehicle for more episodes of a series

audiences weren't thinking about those themes though, they were laughing at shrek doing stuff like matrix jokes and wrestling matches.

>tries to cover up the fact that Atlantis is a shitty film beneath the surface

that's almost exactly the same plot as Atlantis, hilariously

Antz had the misfortune of being conceived. It was made for the sole purpose of releasing a talking ant movie before Pixar.

Not all audiences are you user.
What? No. Atlantis has a run of the mill awkward male protagonist with a bunch of auxiliary extras with a one note character.

youtu.be/JRsx0L_Z4c8

Attached: 1628039168277.png (539x720, 237.07K)

What the hell. I googled it and indeed there was a direct-to-DVD movie but no series was ever produced.
Yet two days ago I mentioned Atlantis having a series in a random convo with a friend and she didn't even flinch. That's so weird, I have memories of seeing it on TV every few days and switching channel thinking "this movie never needed a follow up series". I used to skip Tarzan, too.

>>lonely introvert rejected by society finds his solitude interrupted
Milo
>by intruders
Helga and Whitmore
>He goes on a quest
I'm gonna find Atlantis!
>Along the way, he finds friendship/acceptance from an unlikely place and [finds love in an even more unlikely place]
his seasoned adventurer/secret criminal crewmates and the hot brown princess

Prince of Egypt was made to dethrone the Disney Renaissance and make it look childlish, but you don't mind it. Besides, the decision to release Antz before Bug's Life came when production was wrapping up

because Prince of Egypt was good while Antz was not

Antz had a far better screenplay than PoE, on top of a more entertaining cast of characters. I'd take Woody Allen ant over Moses anyday

but Milo didn't want to be alone, he wanted other scientists to take his research on Atlantis seriously, he was socially awkward at worst

Again, you make it sound like those characters have character.

False.

>set in 1914
>absolutely no mention of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, the July Crisis, or the start of the First World War

Why do cartoons keep doing this?

Attached: Turning Iraq Red.jpg (4608x2592, 1.81M)

at least Antz wasn't micromanaged to hell and back by Katzenberg, who practically lived in that 2D studio. Say what you will about Eisner, but i doubt he was a daily presence like Katzenberg was

>Katzenberg micromanaging makes a good film
>Katzenberg not micromanaging makes a bad film
cool, I guess?

no one but murricans gave a shit about the Iraq war

is this post supposed to be ironic?

>no one but murricans gave a shit about the Iraq war
>sparked literally the largest organized anti-war protest of all time

Attached: San Francisco police detaining anti-war protesters February, 2003.jpg (403x301, 82.66K)

I'm still mad that Rourke and Helga turned out to be the villains. They were both really likable when they were leading the expedition.

I thought everyone apart from Milo went on the journey to find stuff they could sell to Germany.

again, only murricans gave a shit

>I thought everyone apart from Milo went on the journey to find stuff they could sell to Germany.
>the token pyromaniac is French

I could understand that being Helga or even Rourke's motivation but not him

Attached: doubt.png (300x162, 28.59K)

they're clearly just mercenaries loyal to no particular cause but money

you can also justify it by saying it takes place before June

Attached: 1649290368482.png (768x894, 588.46K)

why do you think Antz is a bad film? Other than Sharon Stone princess being kinda bitchy in the middle section and the romance not being the best, it's a solid film

Antz was terrible

Katzenberg could make some great works when he kept a reasonable distance (Roger Rabbit, Little Mermaid, Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story, Antz, Chicken Run, Shrek) but whenever he got too involved, the results were films like Oliver & Company, Pocahontas, Prince of Egypt and El Dorado (i like Pocahontas, but it would've been better if Katz wasn't so involved. He wanted it to win Best Picture after Beauty got nominated)

It will always be "Not Bug's Life" to me.

Where do you sit on the Nadia thing, Yea Forums?

Attached: 1649118161679.jpg (728x1153, 159.31K)

Milo mentions the Kaiser

You slid to another universe.

still the best pre Shrek film by Dreamworks in my book. I'd watch it over those edgy Renaissance copies anyday

That's just my luck. I slid into another universe and it's one with culture wars everywhere, Twitter and covid. Couldn't be something cool, noooo.

Goddamn it. Why did you remind me of this?