Read House of Leaves

>read House of Leaves
>get to the poems in the Zampano appendix
>"little solace comes to those who grieve"
>immediately fall in love with his style despite having never been into poetry before
>hear about pic related, grab it, absolutely adore it
where should I go next, now that I've discovered that poetry can actually be good?

Attached: Only Revolutions.jpg (220x383, 24K)

did you find your house of leaves copy in a dumpster in chicago, IL?

no, and if you're asking because you threw your copy away, you're a plebe

I was hoping for a serious answer

bumping myself again

An user who admittedly has only read to poetry of a made up fictional pseudonym of a second rate author calling literally anyone else a plebe

Very funny and ironic to be honest

I'm not calling you a plebe for your taste in poetry, I know that I know nothing about poetry and that I myself am a plebe in that sense. I'm calling you a plebe for thinking that MZD is second rate, which he so obviously isn't. also,
>that spacing

You need to read more books if HoL and Only Revolutions are rocking your world. I've read both, they're... pretty all right ? Wouldn't exactly put it up there with Pale Fire

they aren't "rocking my world" as you say, but to ignore their quality is simply blindness. also, Pale Fire just comes across as a second rate HoL, and yes, I know PF came first

correction, OR is rocking my world, but not HoL, which is lovely but not game changing

I have a confession to make.
I tried to read House of Leaves cover to cover. When I got to the climax of the story-within-a-story about the house that grows, and the format of the text gets permanently fucked, I stopped reading. That kind of shit was already irritating.
I lied. That wasn't a confession, as I have no regrets over doing this.

literally why the fuck did you get it? did you not know that it was going to do that?

I knew it was going to get "weird", as described by legions of normie brainlets, but I honestly didn't realize it was going to get that thoroughly autistic.

saying house of leaves has a climax is a tad generous. it attempts to have one, yes.

yeah, as a fan, I have to admit it's kind of autistic. that said, it's not nearly as autistic as this guy

>Zampano

Attached: image.jpg (2480x1926, 371K)

>I demand the grave accent

Attached: 1552390348605.png (315x285, 48K)

it’s a disingenuous book. a spooky mansion story played out at DFW length interspersed with the diary of a gay boy.

that doesn't sound like a bad thing. also,
>diary of a gay boy
this is both factually incorrect and sincerely hilarious

am I actually going to get poetry recommendations, as was the point of this thread, or are we going to continue debating whether or not MZD is a hack?

my last self-bump

uh id stop at house of leaves

>Pale Fire just comes across as a second rate HoL
lol

Try George Oppen maybe?

the poem is mediocre and overblown, and the notes are even more rambly than Truant, which is saying something
it took 20 hours, but I finally got an answer, thank you

>completely misses the point of Kinbote

Attached: raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa-ca443f4786.jpg (750x1000, 52K)

I enjoyed house of leaves. Is there any narrative whatsoever in Only Revolutions? I read a couple of pages, then had to give up since it's pretty much unintelligible mumbojumbo. Really reminded me of the Finnegan's Wake meme posts you see so much. I'm not a native speaker, but I'd consider myself to be on a highschool reading level. Do I just need to git gud?

elaborate, or else I am led to assume there's nothing there
well, there is a general plot, as in there's a list of events that occur in a specific order that are directly referenced by the text. on the other hand, it's all stream of consciousness when it's not dialogue, so it's hard to tell the actual events from their mental fantasy (for instance, the entire ending sequence in the last five chapters). you really just need to read it until your mind acclimates to the archaic and sometimes made up slang and long lists of cars, animals, and plants
here's a general plot: Sam and Hailey are two "16 year old" "immortals" (both of these facts are suspect) who go on a roadtrip throughout America spanning two hundred years of history with occasional side plots about a stalker named the Creep, their respective health issues, their job at a Midwest diner, etc. they also are "stuck" in a "time loop" (also suspect) centered around an unnamed mountain where they meet in chapter one. it's like a romance, a road novel, a coming of age, and some sort of abstract fantasy wrapped up in one. this is all assuming you trust what they're saying; I've seen some pretty good arguments that they're actually just delusional teenagers living on the streets and making all this shit up to distract from their shitty lives

Based reference

If you haven't read anything, then literally start with the basics of basics:

Whitman
Dickinson
Blake
Tennyson
Elliott

There. See you in a month

while not exactly what I asked for, this is good. thank you

What exactly did you ask for ?

Edgar Allen Poe

his poems contain really complicated rhythms and rhymes but they flow so elegantly

stuff similar to Only Revolutions, as implied by OP. your post implies that that list is a general purpose introduction to poetry
I've heard he's a meme, but I'll try it anyway, thanks

Really? No one's going to mention the Familiar? I didn't really like Only Revolutions (most of it went over my head) but I absolutely adore The Familiar. Much more accessible but still weird as hell.

I liked it, but it didn't come up in the OP because it has no poetry in it, whereas HoL was what sparked that interest and OR was what cemented it
anyway, when do you think he's going to sell the rights to a Familiar series to Netflix or something? it's obvious at this point it's not going to be finished in book form

The point isn't hard to grasp user. Kinbote is one of the funniest narrators I've ever read without meaning to be funny at all.

so it's just the concept of hearing from such a delusional perspective that makes it entertaining? I guess I can see that, but it was grating to me