The Secret History

Is it about the beauty of tradition

OR

about how blind worship of an imagined past destroys lives?

Attached: secret_history.jpg (400x600, 54K)

It’s a story.
It can be about a lot, or nothing, or what you need it to be

Attached: ABB8E2EC-D4DE-4618-ACBE-6E3AB0ABBBAD.jpg (1355x1800, 654K)

The gay scenes in the book are beautiful even being so coy and discrete

the thing with traditionalism is that the figures revered by the traditionalists were innovators in their respective time

Part of the irony in the novel. The biggest academic traditionalist in the story is named for Emperor Julian.

It’s about how the Greeks were right
—Bacchanal—Greeks were right
—tragedy—Greeks were right (Henry is tragic)
Greeks are best!

>Donna Tartt
That's not Procopius...

Why imitate tragedy knowing that it ends in failure?

Henry removed all the parts that made him human

>ywn attend a small liberal arts college with a group of comically old-fashioned classmates who imitate high society manners and dress like Expressionist film characters

This is Anonymous story arch, isn’t it?

A little bit of both. You get the "before" (innocence) and "after" (experience)

holy shit user I read this book in middle school (found it intriguing but it went over my head almost entirely) and have been randomly thinking about it every so often, couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called. thank you.

It's largely cobbled together literary references built around the main story.

arc perhaps

Personally, I think it’s a fraud to delegitimize Justinian after his death.

I have an evil spellcheck

You know how I know this story was written by a woman? The main character never fuck that red headed slut that keeps throwing herself at him, even though he is a beta male lose

I thought the point of the story was those people are awful deep down and use their pretentiousness to make themselves feel superior to everyone else. There is even a scene where Richard is partying with the normies at his school and he realizes they are open and accepting of him and he should have been hanging out with them all this time

lol you ripped that from La La Land you unoriginal twerp

>awful deep down

It's obvious from the start, nobody is less of a hack and a fake than Richard.

The characters are noteworthy in that they have a strong will to power. However their environment is toxic and they manifest their will in flawed, crippled ways, in narcissistic, borderline ways.

Richard has no real support, nothing pushing him to be a strong character or a conventionally good person. None of them do. They are lost, Julian is lost too, and it is only a matter of time until something happens.

They are etiolated plants growing out of drained soil, nothing new in them, no ability to generate the new, no ability to fit in with the present. They were always doomed.