ITT

Books that awakened you from the deep slumber of ignorance.

Attached: 62A416B9-0326-4D5D-B950-D42C379B5AE8.jpg (570x712, 225K)

Attached: 1547852390426.png (519x248, 207K)

History of Sexuality by Michel Foucault

if people are being honest, you're going to get a lot of meme answers that are legitimate
for example, reading animal farm and 1984 in high school caused me to be much more interested in philosophy

War and Peace.

Made me realize just how terrible writing like this:

is and how much fiction can achieve

iliad

Attached: Menelaus_supporting_the_body_of_Patroclus-Loggia_dei_Lanzi.jpg (1920x2560, 1.26M)

fiction doesn't wake people up. It may "blow your mind" but you are still an automaton, dreaming that he has control over his life.

Attached: ouspensky.in-search-of-the-miraculous.500h.jpg (314x500, 36K)

iliad is not fiction

How so

even if that were the case, what is history, but some fiction that was acted out first before being written down?

Don't let the butterfly on the cover fool you. This book is very insightful and tells of ecological catastrophe in the works.

Attached: 81881VYiH9L.jpg (1000x1507, 473K)

There is no such thing as "fiction" or "non-fiction"; the distinction is illusory. Evidently, you are still in the cave yourself.

it is not history,it is a book of truth with profound insight into humanity's unceasing struggles

not a single day has gone by in the last 3000 years that the agony and tribulation in iliad has not occurred

it's either a story about people doing things, or it's just ideas being discussed and explained. This is the distinction I'm talking about.
It may even have the greatest insights of any story. I'm a big fan.
Still, when we use this metaphor, "waking up" from some previous state of obliviousness or ignorance, we are talking about a totally different process in one's mind.
A story may shock, enthrall, motivate, even teach. But to truly wake up, that takes work. The book I posted teaches you what that means, and how to go about this work. So, clearly, much more directly about "waking up"
I'll bring up Prometheus Rising too. A great introduction.

Attached: Prometheus Rising.jpg (297x475, 57K)

Attached: IMG_1393.jpg (725x850, 134K)

Programmed to Kill by Dave McGowan

This is awesome user

>no such thing as a difference between things that happened and things that didn't

How to Cook Meth by Dick Dawg the dude who sleeps beneath the overpass

Reading this book changed my plans for family and career so probably this one.

Attached: McKibbon.jpg (328x499, 22K)

I'm currently reading "In Search of the Miraculous" and I honestly don't like it a lot. Most of it is just esoteric bullshit, there are much better books available.

That is the point of it I thought. It is explicitly canonical New Age philosophy shit.

if you get so easily turned off by the particular distortions and subjectivities of the traditions you study, you are really never going to make it.
please go read your bible and leave the people who haven't given up in peace.

Les mots et les choses my dude