What are some good reads about the middle east?

What are some good reads about the middle east?

Attached: Lawrence-Thomas-Edward.jpg (615x409, 32K)

Eothen is my favorite. It's fairly short and in the public domain

The Silk Roads is a good one if you like history.

while not about the middle east, the portions of The Long Ships set in Andalusia are cozy.

Attached: 43588249z.jpg (388x600, 102K)

I'm writing one. And someday, I'm going to publish this, talking about social and religious circumstances of the Middle East before the Modern Age, and I'm going to state that I was inspired by Dostovesky and the Qu'ran, and I'll cause a literary revolution, and I'll become so famous that even Yea Forums will praise me. I'm telling you, and call me out on this post when that happens.

(I hope so). Insha'Allah.

"Lawrence in Arabia" is a good popular audience book on the history of the formation of the modern middle east out of the fall of the Ottoman Empire in WWI. TE Lawrence is a very intriguing and fascinating character.

Bernard Lewis has many good books on the history of the Ottoman Empire. There is a complex postmodern critique of this style of history by Edward Said called Orientalism (which I could not understand and gave up on).

Norman Finkelstein has several excellent books on the Israel Palestine conflict, "Image and Reality" is an incredible demonstration of penetrating scholarship.

But your question is very broad, could you specify what exactly you're looking for?

godspeed

The Third Time's the Teatime

my lengthy manifesto entitled "The Glass Parking Lot and You

There are no books written about the Middle East.

Edward said trilogy

This baby right here. Ignore all the gay academic posters.

Attached: salambo.jpg (800x1166, 59K)

Yeah, I don't care what Edward says, ok?

The Edward said trilogy

Oh, so he's "the" Edward now? I still don't care what he has to say.

gas yourself, kyke

heh

I heard good things of the Edward Said trilogy.

What books on West Asia do you recommend?

>the looming tower
>A Savage war of peace
>Whirlwind
>Magnificent Delusions
>All the shah's men
>The siege of Mecca

Seven Pillars of Wisdom by your picrelated, op.

I particularly enjoyed the parts about young Arab buttsex and the Turkish officer who penetrated Lawrence's tight euro-sissy bunghole.

Seabrook's Aventures in Arabia

Lmao kys

I saw ramallah

I still don't understand why on Earth he would write that in.

yes Effendi.

depends on what you're after.

travel literature?

modern politics?

military history?

ancient history?

anthropology?

religious?

fiction?

get more specific and I might can help you out.

not OP, but what's some good travel literature?

Arabia Felix

Adventures in Arabia
Thesiger's books

Cyclonopedia - reza negarestani

>Orientalism
That's a term I've heard once taking a college course that I ended up dropping because of the unbearable twisted ideologies that the course was based on (post-colonialism, third wave feminism, you know the drill)
Does it have any value to it tho, with your brief exposure to it? Or is it just extreme historical revisionism?

Attached: 51CB68y3LrL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 33K)

Arabian Sands by Thesiger is considered the greatest classic of Arabian travel lit after Lawrence's 7 Pillars. Both give a good understanding of the development of modern Arabia.
You want fiction, read the Cairo Trilogy.
It's hard to find a physical copy but The Lost Oases by Ahmad Hassanein is the most lucid portrayal of desert peoples of any book from that era. The author is an Oxford-educated Arab so he has one-of-a-kind perspective

I read the first two pages and it ruined my day.

Attached: 84148127.jpg (900x600, 53K)

Cringe

Attached: Paris.jpg (274x475, 80K)

Uncalled for

>be T.E. Lawerence
>go to the Middle East
>get raped
Yeah it's an authentic portrayal.

I didn't understand the book. I've watched some interviews with Said and thought he seemed interesting, but I can't speak to it since I didn't understand it.

It's a broad and theoretical critique of western scholarship of the orient, and it seems to me one should at least be familiar with examples of that scholarship first (especially since Orientalism the book doesnt translate its French and German extended quotes).

Attached: DZPjJOcWAAA1maL.jpg (997x700, 190K)

"Orientalism" the book perceives a historical revisionism in the traditional representations and stereotypes about the world outside of Europe, and argues against that revisionism by claiming that the stereotypes produced by Europe about other places tell us more about Europe than about those other places.
Orientalism the phenomenon is the way that Europe has talked about other places by describing those other places only in terms of inherited conventions. Orientalism the book argues against orientalism the phenomenon.
Basically it's saying to take things on their own terms instead of getting wrapped up in your preconceived notions of what they are.

Qurrnat by Theo Gardner
Aria of the East by Yusuf Sharif
Caliphs by B.S. Ingleson
From Ur to Jerusalem

Wilfred Thesiger's Arabian Sands and The Marsh Arabs. Both were great, though the first was a tad more enjoyable.

I've just purchased Eothen and Arabia Felix, so I can't comment on them just yet, but they absolutely look promising.

Arabia Deserta is another, but I haven't read it. The eBay seller won't come down on his price for the edition I want (I'm a bit of a snob with certain books).

Freya Stark is another to look into, though I haven't read any of her work.

And then here's the elusive book I skimmed in my university library that I am dying to find. It's what started my love affair with the genre, and it looks like I'm going to have to go back to find it, because for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called. Maybe they have a record of the books I checked out? hmmmm.

can we get a little more information?

copeland's books
mostly about egypt and nasser
but israel only features as negative space

Attached: copeland.jpg (341x499, 28K)