Mfw I actually sat down and wrote just around 21,000 words in just about 2 week period

>mfw I actually sat down and wrote just around 21,000 words in just about 2 week period
>mfw those who have taken a look at it have really enjoyed it and compared it to authors like Gaddis (whose Agape Agape I took plenty of stylistic moves from)
>mfw I'm now searching for someone to publish this novella
You can do it /lit.
Just stop shitposting on here and focus on shitposting in the context of a novel

Attached: 1371412688939.jpg (628x437, 51K)

post the first page here please, i'd like to see it

>whose Agape Agape I took plenty of stylistic moves from
>Agape Agape
>Plenty of
So its a single paragraph first person fugue?

here you go

Right off, there will be no lies. The 21st century has become the post-truth era, and if we cannot place our faith and sincerity within the confines of literature, what hope have we left? In light of our mutual discontent, this will be a dredging of the deeps, an exercise in futility only capable in the mind of a disturbed twentysomething, of nature with original energy, who has spent most of his life spastically searching for a reason to not commit a major act of John Brownian terrorism, violence, or other meaningless act in the face of every attempt at kindness and promoting a positive change being slaughtered without so much as a flinching. This will be entirely from the mind and times of all that I could be and hopefully ever will be, another rote exercise in simply pretending I have some talent and ideas worth sharing with the world that I know no gobstopping motherfucker will ever really pay notice to. As a matter of fact, the only reason any notice is paid to this by you is in some desperate search for:
A. Sincerity, a rapidly vanishing source of lifeblood for humanity.
B. The underloved, underspoken, and underdog in art to pretend you’re unique and that they truly are saying something new and meaningful, when really you’ve just never read enough Gaddis, Hardy, or Silko to know that everything has basically been said and all that anyone can ever do for you is repackage it all to appeal to your trite, societal construction of what you think the world is and should be. Whatever in-fashion term we’re now applying to those people, that’s likely what you are, particularly if you’re still reading to this point.
Whatever your reason, you’ve put your skin in the game, and even continued past this aggressive wall-breaking, so here you are. Won’t you be so excited to discuss how groundbreaking and “meta” this is with all the people you don’t know online as you vie for attention after being neglected for so long by so many? Is all of this really worth it? After all, you’re skimming across the half-baked regurgitations of Goytisolo, Bahktin wolfing down rhetoric, and Woolf barking out abstractions, Bergman, Van Vliet, Rabelais, Maritain, Cobain, the darling Manon Lescault, Kafka, Kurosawa, Ellison, Ionesco, Exuma, the abstract expressionist Lewis because no other Lewis of note has or ever will exist, Baldwin (and yes he is the greatest intellectual of the 20th century), and of course the almighty Wild Jimmy Joyce. We will pretend that Shakespeare and Dostoyevsky do not scream sorrow into one another’s arms over lost sons, and that Plath isn’t dead because I know that I have never experienced loss. You’re going to trust me above all others, including yourself, to distill my experiences in art and life into a palatable story for your gaping maw of a culture void and to abide by your request I say “L’adieu fanatique, Montressor.”

You are a fucking hack my man jesus fucking christ is this a troll? You read Agape Agape of all things, and decided to POORLY IMITATE Agape Agape? This has got be bait.

Most of it is in the same rambling style, yeah. Not nearly as far out and pure stream of consciousness as Gaddis took it because obviously he perfected that. I just love the idea of this obsessive writing that rambles off the road but eventually finds its way back to the point because the narrator is so determined to force your attention on it.

He created something, you complained about it. You'll realize who the loser is in time.

Is this a manifesto? My attention fell off very quickly. Make a point.

i like it so far, could you post a few more passages?

Attached: 1377718969852.jpg (148x177, 7K)

>post truth

holy shit this is worse than I could have imagined. Here's some truth: you're a hack.

In a way, kinda. The point of the work is really that the writing doesn't have a point and all work we ever read, we have to trust the author at their word on, like this passage kinda talks about:

Anyway, writing like this is quite the ride since now, more than any other moment in my life, I am in control. You have to take what I say at face value or just not read it at all. If all I say is lies, then what do you stand to gain from that? Isn’t literature solely about the “search for self” and the confirmation of the validity of each and every last one of our personal experiences? And yet here I am, possibly manipulating every syllable, every basic phoneme that crosses my neurons because I want to be sure I’m conveying to you just how exactly I control your mind at this exact moment.
Cat.
Boom, you’ve just imagined it. That word culled to mind an innumerable realm of plausible responses, whether it’s a cat you know, one you’ve seen before, or maybe it just conjured up someone playing jazz because you’re the kind of desperate degenerate that feels the need to appropriate any and all cultures you can to make yourself feel special, so once you heard a few Coltrane albums you enjoyed and maybe that one Miles Davis one, yeah you know the one, you decided “Hey, I’m going to start calling people ‘cats’ just like they did.”

or this bit:

The most dense among you, still battling through this tirade out of little more than maschochistic pride or, god-forbid, it being directly assigned to you for reading by a professor, potential sex partner, or both, have to be gasoline pumps of rage, spouting and spurting your refined, dirty confusion this way and that asking “What is the POINT?” That’s exactly the point—the point being gone and that being the point. We’ve all had 4’33” and its repercussions bounding through the musical world and the art world’s blank canvases, but how can literature cope? Literature, the field that has been so far ahead of other artistic realms, is finally lagging behind and dying because no one has the gall to tell John Cage to fuck off and one-up his pretentious, scintillating ass full of maggots by not simply publishing a book that is completely blank, but by publishing a book that is so full of words that contradict and interweave, mix and mingle, that the meaning equates to a sum lump of null. In a world where all information and ideas can be accessed at once, they’re all reduced to empty, valueless words, thrown together with little attention beyond how best to manipulate me into stealing those words to manipulate others (I did mention Bahktin earlier, so if you’re actually paying attention, take note how in my genius I bring back and toy with each and every idea). You can even flip back 3 paragraphs to catch that allusion to Ronald Shannon Jackson that you undoubtedly missed.

>muh reddit "someone did something so they deserve their dick sucked" middling bullshit
I know you're never going to read Agape Agape user but maybe you can appreciate how spectacularly fucking dumb it is to blatantly rip off (this is like a weird al yankovich parody of the book) an 100 page essay about the commodification and mechanical reproduction of art placing the beginning of the end on the player piano

OP, I will tell it you straight. I did not enjoy this, but I think you have some potential. Keep writing, and don't listen to these mean people.

I believe in you OP.

appreciate that. It was really and truly more cathartic for me than anything else and I had great fun with it, so even if nothing ever comes of it and everybody ever hates it, I'm still happy I did it, which is my whole point of sharing with the e/lit/e--just doing it is worth it.

i actually like this concept, the connection of the story being a book technically about nothing and 4'33" and the trust necessary to be put into an author. good job user, even if the negative posters here have certain points, it is worth pursuing as a work and we need more of these

Glad you like the idea. That's part of what made writing it so completely fun. The whole thing is just constant elevation of unreliable narrator to unreliable narrator who is aware of their status as the narrator and void of the context of an actual story. Way fun to mess around with.

Did the irony of heavily basing your creation on a direct distillation of a 50 year career of attacking the lack of authenticity and soulless reproduction of the spirit of art not strike you dead during writing this? Clearly not. Dear god.

I think you're missing the point, user

Beyond gay

Attached: 1401439717246.jpg (257x212, 15K)

Being honest, I couldn't follow much of it after the opening (which I really liked). Part of that might be my lack of familiarity with your references, and part of that might be the fault of your writing, in that it's a bit obscure. That said, I really appreciate that you're seemingly chewing out our decayed culture, and reminding people on the value of kindness and other virtues. You are an IRL kindposter™, and that's really wonderful. My only advice is to try and be a bit less obscure, more clear and direct in your message. Remember that every sentence should drive home a point that you're making about your subject. Don't worry about the meanposters here, you're a kindposter and kindposters are innately immune to any assaults by meananons. Take care and best of luck with your novella, user. Hopefully it can leave a positive impact on our modern wasteland of a culture. :)

I really appreciate that user. I'm an obsessed Joyce fan (which I point out multiple times in the work) so that's kinda the point behind the allusive warzone I've got going on there. The character of my narration is supposed to be so esoteric and allusive because I simply have no other idea how to present "deep" ideas in an era where allusive comedy is all it takes to make people lose their mind and feel special.

>My only advice is to try and be a bit less obscure, more clear and direct in your message. Remember that every sentence should drive home a point that you're making about your subject.
>he says to someone ripping off one of the great obtuse postmodernists
you disgust me even more than OP and you will give up this forced affected faggotry in record time

that's just awful, op
the assumption that OP is kind is ridiculous considering his smug writing, assured of its own cleverness when there is none.

Is this a troll thread ?

I'm glad you're getting the point of the writing! Are you taking it actually serious though? Because if so, I could understand why you seem bothered. Unless you just really don't like the style

Attached: 1352858113298.png (268x265, 123K)

This is like Beckett (trying to be a work about nothing), but much, much uglier and less artistic. You have the ideas but you don't have an artistic touch.

Y'know, I've really not put in the time to read Beckett's novels like I probably should, but given how large a fan I am of his plays I've read (and the link to Joyce), I'm absolutely okay with my first rough draft being "uglier Beckett"

It reads like a 2 week amphetamine fuelled rant. Which it sounds like it is. Blogs suck, it needs to be more than that to be worth reading.

I think my fault is not being familiar with Gaddis. From what I saw, OP was writing a piece that criticized our modern culture and its many absurdities? But then again, it's a novella, not an essay or an article. So is it meant to be fictional, OP? Or reality, presented through a fictional mirror? Either way, the misunderstanding is most likely mine. I can't claim to know what you're doing until I've read Gaddis, which seems different to most literature I'm familiar with.

Where do I get started with Gaddis? So he's the one who came up with the style of dialogue found in Quentin Tarantino's movies? Does QT acknowledge that? Because QT praises his own dialogue a lot, and I thought he was the originator of it...

just so you know op, this board has become infested with underaged pseuds in the last few months, so most of the people responding to your post are going to be noodle-armed high schoolers who skimmed the wikipedia article on Quine and now think they're true intellectuals.

but this is good. it's obvious that you have "it", a voice and skill for literature, and I'd definitely encourage you to keep writing since in your case it won't be in vain.

>last few months

If I nailed amphetamine vibe, that leaves me moister than an oyster. I do think it gets a bit more meaty as it goes on, but completely fair point. Personally love the blog style raving.

Gaddis' piece Agape Agape is 100% sincere and brutally hammering home modern culture's lack of sincerity. My work is presented through a fictional abomination of myself that constantly plays with the fact that you can only BELIEVE I'm being sincere since I could have written anything and changed the truth time and time again.

As for Gaddis, I started with Carpenter's Gothic because it's not insane huge like his first two works. It's an absolute masterpiece, but my heart belongs to his final work, Agape Agape, just because stylistically and ideologically, I think it's one of the most beautiful, one-to-two session reads I've ever had.

Thanks so much for the kind words, user. I'm well familiar with Yea Forums culture since I've been coming to this hellhole since somewhere near the start of this decade, so I'm not taking a single thing to heart. I've actually already incorporated some of the comments from this thread into the work to really help blur the line between reality and fiction on this one.

Hopefully all the ones raging at me will decide to take the time to leave the site for a little bit and create something of their own, since that is the point of the thread.

Attached: 1346805532719.png (600x450, 342K)

>Reading Agape Agape before JR
ISHYGDDTS

I've never been too good at tackling works in the order that they're meant to be done in. I did Ulysses before Dubliners, Stalker before any other Tarkovsky, free jazz Coltrane before any other period, etc

womp womp

And Agape before Bernhard and Benjamin I assume ? This reeks of burger.

Nobody in Dubliners "wrote" Ulysses retard

absolutely burger. Wish I had the time and energy to read everything I should, but it's important I read more texts that my students be interested in and able to read, so don't always get to the real out there stuff these days

>

Attached: 1356045534344.jpg (601x644, 19K)

You're a great writer OP. I'm sure that once that piece is edited and worked on further it'll make for a great read.

You are an actual retard

Attached: Screenshot_20190303-213308_Chrome.jpg (1080x1920, 591K)

you're far too kind

Sorry bud. I read Agape somewhere around 5 years ago now, so I'll have to read that and then reread it sometime in the summer

facts

Attached: 1375215593597.png (285x424, 88K)

TLDR: “we live in a society”

Or does the society live in us?

Attached: 1364425730808.png (313x303, 167K)

Here's one last excerpt for all of you:

I may only type two words again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and againaandagain and gain agind and again and adgina and again until the words and my typing are entirely desynchronized and dissociated forming new grafted terms, but it’s not about the eloquence of those words. It’s all about the purpose, the drive behind it, the tossing you into the Lethe and forgetting denotation, connotation, parallel structure, and even phonemic awareness, the need to slam my intent on your face again and again until you understand how important something like facesitting can be to a human being. Force too large a variety of words meant to do nothing but glitter and scintillate and you get a babbling Tolstoy brook—meaningless except to those so obsessed with facsimile depictions of reality that they also orgasm at the thought of cheap motel art, the driest realism possible. This work is not for those people, nor for the critics who can pretend they matter or that any critique they produce will matter to anyone else. All critics can do is convince people that agree with them how right those people are to feel that way in the first place. Critique this book, post your reviews, scathe my name across all of Goodreads; I accept that and embrace it because I’ve made this matter to me. No one can ever take that away and while I’m sure as shit that we’ll still be finding ways to take away everyone’s right to live an existence that makes them secure, safe, happy, healthy, and stable, there’s nothing but selfish laughter that’s spreading through me as I’m finally starting to understand that this utter shit of mine, it’s the only part of me that no one can ever have. You can’t have it even as you read it because you’ll never know what it is to type every last word as it flows out of you. You can Hunter S. Thompson my ass for sure, but you’ll only be playing a pale imitation in a game that I’ve already lost. Within each and every human being lies a Borges labyrinth that we flail through, the walls repeating, the furniture identical, and nothing changing but ourselves as our flesh decays day by day. I hold the right to at least declare myself as one that did not quit, did not lie down and choose a room to accept in my own labyrinth. I have pursued the truth down each winding corner, each playground tunnel marked up with sex jokes and explicatives, knowing that I only race against a partner I can never catch in the infinite solitude. I tumble and I tumble and I wonder if and when I finally will allow myself to rest, but I know that it can never be. So long as my past predicts my future, I must destroy my present in this vortextual ocean of my own device.

Attached: u_focking_wot.png (266x245, 43K)

Right on, man, let's not lie. The truth is, a posteriori I was expecting your writing to be good, because if we can't place some faith in the idea that we aren't surrounded in this little website by idiots what hope have we left? In light of these few paragraphs, I would not wipe the shit from my posteriori with the pages from your book. In light of these paragraphs, I sincerely believe that every positive recommendation you've gotten has come from terrified friends and loved ones, who are certain that if they do not indulge you in this rote exercise of pretending to have some talent or ideas worth sharing with the world (you don't, dear Anonymous) you will rip them apart in some automatic high caliber act of autismal Adam Lanzian outrage. In fact, the only advice I have to give to you is:
A. Your writing is sincerely terrible, and it will take years to improve it. Although parody of your favorite authors is indeed a good start
B. This undeserved pile of trash should be burned for posterity
Whatever reason you went out by the skin of your jeans and not only wrote this dumpster fire, but enlisted friends to suffer through it I don't know. I hope this advice doesn't make you Cobain, Chatterton, or Cleopatra yourself. That if you do Hemingway yourself, you have no Max Brod overseeing your affairs.

Fully automatic guns cost like $20,000 and you have to let the ATF inspect your asshole but otherwise I agree

11/10 MY SIDES ARE SPLIT. I’m going to have to screencap this one and see about working it in somehow.

Wouldn't it be Adam Lanzaesque? Nobody says Kafkian

I take it the real Agape Agape isn't nearly as bad as this, right?

You are an incredibly mean person. OP was being kind by posting this here, trying to encourage all of us to get our own works on the way to publishing. It's only a first draft of his, and he seems passionate about what he does. You should feel ashamed of yourself for being so mean to him, instead of politely criticizing him, or encouraging him to keep working on it. Shame on you.

Not that guy but fuck off and die in pain faggot

Attached: 2c0.png (507x500, 323K)

Agape Agape is an undeniable 10/10 from a dying master. Please read it if you haven’t yet

READ GADDIS' OTHER SHIT FIRST YOU FUCKING FAGGOTS ITS WRITTEN BY FUCKING JACK FROM JR AND ITS BASICALLY HIM SAYING EXACTLY WHAT HE THINKS BEFORE HE DIES AFTER REFUSING TO COMMENT ON HIS BOOKS MEANING FOR HIS WHOLE LIFE. FUCK

kill yourself

>Cat.
>Boom, you’ve just imagined it.
HOLY I WANT MORE

Attached: 1503752934657.jpg (372x346, 27K)

[citation missing]

>58 responses
>19 posters
gee I wonder who could be behind this thread?

Attached: OP.jpg (512x512, 41K)

I will not be purchasing, pirating, or otherwise disseminating your "book"

Read this image , specifically the part that says JACK GIBBS/WILLIAM GADDIS, read all of Gaddis' books, and then kill yourself

Well, yeah, I, OP, have responded to many people

you guys are harsh. I don't see any of you with published novels

you can fuck right off too. that post is the only thing of literary value in this whole thread. you can go and believe OP that he's creating this thread for our own encouragement, but we both know that's a facile excuse for him to brag about his literary """""accomplishment""""".

and yeah, OP does seem like a nice guy, but that doesn't add any value to his work. you're doing him no favors with your compliments

yes, because we have enough shame to know that if we ever wrote something this bad, it would be an embarrassment to even post it anonymously online, LET ALONE try to get it published. in the hierarchy of shitty writers, shitty writers who don't publish out of shame will always be better than shitty writers who flaunt their shit

>focus on shitposting in the context of a novel
based

This is the shittiest attempt at protecting something from criticism of all time. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it, and unless you are prepared to defend gas station sushi and colt 45 from criticism unless someone owns a conveniance store or brewery you need to shut the fuck up and never do this again.

i already criticized him earlier, actually. but the thing is, i "criticized" him. not insulted him, not berated him, not attempted to hurt his feelings. i critiqued. you guys seem to enjoy being hurtful towards others and so you spend time writing out such humiliating parodies of them, as if it achieves anything except your own cruel debasement of another person. i don't know what OP's "true" intentions for this thread, but from his posts he seems like a genuinely kind person and i don't see his original post as one of bragging, since there's nothing it involves which nobody else here couldn't do. and his very post is encouraging people here to follow him in his path

what does it matter if it's "shitty" or "good?" Look at the Twilight lady, or the Shades of Gray lady. Or the Ready Player One guy. There's even a Twitter book trilogy. It's not """"good"""" but people buy it and the authors are making money. It's more than I can say for most of the people in this thread, who are too cowardly to even post their work outside of school

>Gaddisfag embarrasses himself on Yea Forums
Is anyone surprised? Gaddis, for the most part, is a fraud, and Agape Agape is just derivative Bernhard! Sad! OP also misses the point of The Recognitions, which isn't that "everything has always been said", which is what everyone thinks when they read that faux-complex bloated waste.

user, this is way out of line. how can you criticize a post saying "you can't criticize something until you've done it yourself" when you haven't ever made one of these posts yourself? yeah, that's right big shot. didn't think so

OP is clearly not a gaddisfag lmao

>OP said he hasn’t read any of the tomes
Look at this anti-Gaddis poster stealing this thread for his own purposes. Look and laugh.

Irrelevant, kys

creating bad literature is bad. by doing so, you are actively contributing to this nation's illiteracy

I liked it 6,5/10, that being said I also like warmammer 40k so make what you will of it.

whatever, anyone who can write a novel or novella length piece of work and go through the effort of publishing it is all right, in my opinion

I'm not the OP, but thank you for these kind words. You are helping to save Yea Forums, if it can be saved. We need more heroes like you. Is this particular book by the OP a "great" one? Who knows? No one can really say that. But you have a much more developed and enlightened spirit than the posters in Yea Forums over the past few months, as you say, though I fear it may have been longer. (I fear the underlying reason for all the hatred {though not in this particular case} is jealousy---writers tend to be jealous and destroy each other's work)

If you think every person on Yea Forums gives one single shit about ever writing a paragraph of fiction outside of a post on this website you are delusional.

I am not delusional because I agree with you. Great post. Keep writing. Ignore these dilettantes.

You want us to fawn over terrible writing just because somebody's feelings might get hurt. You are not working to save this place, you are what this place needs to be saved from.

I'm not the OP you retard I'm telling you not everyone here is an aspiring writer or gives a shit about the. Maybe in 10 years after OPs untimely death from super gonnorea if he is immediately pushed as a lost genius there is a chance we might care.

I appreciate your heart, but I would hope that you make a tone for yourself as well. As it stands, you've got something that so far piggybacks off of everything you've read, be that in style, cliche phrasing, adequate but not particularly outstanding pace, and a desire for words that seem to fit things you feel cannot be encapsulated in words, such as "rhetoric, meaningful, faith, palatable." I feel like you're trying to make those words be something that they are not, rather than looking for the proper context or synonym. That might just be me, though. I have a bias against those types of analytical or logistical phrasings; they seem to me intentionally wooden and better left for abstract definition, if that makes sense. At best, it is a merely a summary, and somewhat of a simplistic and shaven (if smoothly) attempt at being something bigger than it is. Again, I'm just going off of a single two paragraphs. I'd like to see more.

Mainly, it's got that sort of self-righteouesness that I think plagues most of the people on this board, but at least you've written something, and it would be interesting to see what it is you believe you especially have to say.

I know it's the intended effect, but this really does overdo the insecurity thing. If the narrator is meant to be in control, why does he have to constantly remind us of how smart we should think he is?

I liked playing around with the idea that everything is a lie and even in a book where every word is and can be a lie, reality seeps in. That’s also one of the last few paragraphs in the whole work, so that follows some of the happenings and whatnot

That’s some great thinking that I really appreciate. The point of that all is to start out incredibly stiff and using those analytical words and form mostly a pastiche of sources before moving into its own turf. Thanks again for even bothering to read it

Interesting point. I always though of Kafkaesque as describing a form of situation, but am unaware of the rules for these linguistic indulgences.

Thanks OP, glad u liked my little parody.

I know everyone here is shitting on you, and it is kind of trash

HOWEVER

Your average Layman wouldnt notice this at all, keep going man