Brainlet here

brainlet here

I've been trying to get into philosophy lately from almost knowing nothing on the subject. I've been working through Nietzche but, not going to lie, it has been a struggle when it comes to reading comprehension. Are there books available that contain the original text followed by annotations or chapter summaries?

Attached: 1428884525927.jpg (640x640, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

Not what you asked for but I’m in a similar position to you. However, I am starting with Plato. So far is pretty easy and I would recommend it. I know it’s a meme to start with the Greeks but from my judgement it could be worse.

Also I have found this guide useful

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM

Good luck

Attached: 562A1D71-58EF-4776-A1AE-D5AB10529F5F.jpg (732x811, 80K)

any good publishers?

thanks, I'll take a look

>any good publishers
yes

any recommendations?

yes

do you think I should read them?

yes

idk, nietzsche was ok, but i decided id be missing a lot of the edge if i didnt get all the philosophers he was ripping down. so i went away and instead read heraclitus, some hesiod, and read a third of the illiad before starting w plato

ive been reading all the dialogues... only have critias and the laws left. i heard the laws is the longest... ngl, it has been difficult, i keep feeling like this pic: . also parminedes. holy shit that dialogue

is starting w greeks a meme? idk, plato is a fucking boomer and weed-smoker but i am 26 dialogues in. i heard that tons of philosophers are just reacting to plato, and i can def see that. there's a lot of ideas and memes that have been brought up in the dialogues that i still see people think to this day. makes you doubt linear time a bit

i usually just read them from gutenberg.org but i borrowed a book from the library that had republic, phaedo and also p small so i could read on commutes

Attached: 1548605209776.jpg (1920x1080, 283K)

will I gain knowledge from these readings?

yes

Phil graduate student here, focus is Greeks

You start with the Greeks and end with the Greeks.

Why the fuck would you start with Nietzsche?

Why in the hell Nietzsche is so often "babby's first philosopher"? He is not even that good in the whole "philosophy as a way of life" thing. His main strength is that he is a very good writer.

You should probably read Plato, or Aristotle or one of the Stoics instead.

Nietzsche is seen as being strong and as you say he is a poetic and inspiring writer which isn’t very common for a philosopher.

i dont understand the meme either. im this user and i only read nietzsche because of orgyofthewill. i have a friend that linked me OoW, mundusmillenialis and accelerationist shit aaaand now i want to understand the stuff he is interested in better.

idk though, maybe because he really speaks to he current nihilist plague of modernity. shrug

Start with Descartes

so you really think I should read them?

It wouldn't say it's my first read. I was just reading through the general summaries of the more known philosophers and I liked some of his ideas.

Thanks, any recommended books to start? Preferable something for a novice.

yes

are traps gay?

yes

do people really understand everything they are reading? Do you ever read a few pages and then are unable to summarize what you read? How much of a book do you remember three months after you have read it?

Brainlets don't have innate intellectual curiosity.

Keep at it, user. You'll understand more the more you read.

am *i* gay?

yes

Check out Nagel's "What does it all mean?", I hear it's a pretty good introduction to the field.