How should I read Shakespeare if I don't understand words like "hath" or "tush"?

How should I read Shakespeare if I don't understand words like "hath" or "tush"?

Attached: 120131.jpg (1000x928, 902K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IPnq9w-0zyA
youtube.com/watch?v=D2VnxiW3oqk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

neither of them are particularly difficult if you're familiar enough with English. 'hath' is just a present-tense form of 'have' and 'tush' is just a noise of contempt, like tutting.

You have a smartphone/computer, no real excuse for not just DuckDuckGoing the definitions.

>DuckDuckGoing
What?

ARE U A FUCKIGN GOOGLE NORMALFAG< PLEASE KILL YOUR SELF THANK YOU

Can DuckDuckGo do this?

Attached: ggl.jpg (775x491, 47K)

an edition with footnotes and a glossary is helpful, or just use an internet dictionary

That's exactly why you should read Shakespeare. Plod your way through it, otherwise, you will never learn.

Cringe.

No but you can click literally once or just read the preview. All without having your information stolen.

Attached: 2019-03-03 14_41_55-tush at DuckDuckGo.png (888x526, 25K)

>having your information stolen
This is bad on a societal level maybe but there is no reason to worry about it personally as long as you keep in mind that advertising and your media feed are calculated to keep you clicking and buying, and have the willpower not to succumb to that.

huh?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8.49.04 am.png (724x542, 97K)

mhm, you won, I think I'll give it a try

>reading Othello in high school English
>ask what "tupping" means
>teacher doesn't know
>we go to his computer to look it up
>first result is urban dictionary and it just says FUCKING
>we share a giggle

get an edition with a fricking glossary, and get yourself a dictionary too, sweet baba jay.

>high school English teacher doesn’t know what ‘tupping’ means
Is this the power of American education?

/thread

Could be "tush" the old-fashioned way of saying "yikes" ?

I found it a lot easier to get into his work by listening to him being performed by professionals, rather than "plodding" through it like it's homework. The sort of language you refer to can often be understood by context, or by the way it's spoken, or just by immersing yourself in the language and getting used to it (a bit like any other use of language desu senpai). And the occasional obscure word shouldn't impact on your understanding too much.

There are glossaries and dictionaries etc, but I don't think those should be a starting point if you aren't already captivated, and you probably know 95% of the words of the important sections. Anyway, I'd start with listening and not with reading. Here's John Gielgud performing a few famous speeches from Julius Caesar:

youtube.com/watch?v=IPnq9w-0zyA

I'd also recommend John Barton's series on Shakespeare. Enthusiasm can be contagious:

youtube.com/watch?v=D2VnxiW3oqk

ah yes, the good old "If you [insert whatever] then there is no issue with companies stealing and using your personal information"

God I love you, user. You would have been top cut if you would have spelled it "duck-duck-going," but as it stands you're still doing God AND Nietzsche's work by playing with language.

thank you user!

Just get a copy with footnotes here and there.

>tfw Shakespeare has never died yet, since he's in our cultural memory
BWAHAHAHA legiteral Chad.