Daily reminder that if you haven't read Montaigne then you are a fucking pseud

Daily reminder that if you haven't read Montaigne then you are a fucking pseud

Attached: Montaigne.jpg (330x431, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/files/3600/3600-h/3600-h.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

how many pages are necessary to "read Montaigne"?

Why are his essays so incredibly comfy, bros? The only essayists I genuinely enjoy are Montaigne and Borges.

>Although there were several families bearing the patronym "Eyquem" in Guyenne, his father's family is thought to have had some degree of Marrano (Spanish and Portuguese Jewish) origins, while his mother, Antoinette López de Villanueva, was a convert to Protestantism. His maternal grandfather, Pedro Lopez, from Zaragoza, was from a wealthy Marrano (Sephardic Jewish) family that had converted to Catholicism

>caring about the religious beliefs of his relatives
a very un-Montaigne belief. i can tell you haven't read Montaigne, in which case you are a fucking pseud

The audiobook of his works is god-tier. If you don't have time to consume his 1,000+ page essays I suggest listening to the audiobook a few times

>mfw I want to read Montaigne and La rochefoucault.
I guess I'm still a pseud until I do.

>Borges
where should I begin with his essays ?

>Montaigne and La rochefoucault
add La Bruyère, he's pretty based

worthless piece of shit

subtract La rochefoucault and la bruyere, and read Montaigne 3 times instead

>Genetics = religion ?

Inquisitions/Other Inquisitions. Included in his Selected Non-Fictions in English.

>you don't have time to consume his 1,000+ page essays
>I suggest listening to the audiobook a few times

????

link some essays faggot

>There are anons on this board that have not read a single word of Homer, Pindar, Plato, Aristotle, Sophocles, Euripedes, Hesiod, Aristophones, Herodotus, Sappho, Plutarch, Ovid, Virgil, Horace, St. Augustine, Marcus Aurelius, Dante, Petrarch, Boccaccio, Machiavelli, Luther, Cervantes, Chaucer, Browne, Wyatt, Sidney, Shelley, Donne, Dryden, Bacon, Novalis, Shakespeare, Dickens, Marlowe, Jonson, Goethe, Bunyan, Addison, Milton, Yeats, Johnson, Burke, Hume, Kant, Wollstonecraft, Racine, Baudelaire, Valery, Rimbaud, Moliere, Montaigne, Schiller, Voltaire, Hugo, Balzac, Stendhal, Flaubert, Mallarme, Artaud, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Blake, Byron, Keats, Arnold, Pater, Mill, Bentham, Crane, Stevens, Trakl, Rilke, Celan, Montale, Neruda, Lorca, Wilde, Leopardi, Nietzsche, Marx, Adorno. Hamsun, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoy, Turgenev, Chekhov, Bely, Camoes, Pessoa, Saramago, Paz, Borges, Corazer, de Assis, Marquez, Gide, Camus, Conrad, Woolf, Beckett, Joyce, Beckett, O'Brien, Waugh, Auden, Mann, Musil, Broch, Svevo, Walser, Kafka, Boll, Grass, Perec, Calvino, Bernhard, Gass, Gaddis, Benjamin, Baudrillard, Barthes, Solzhenitsyn, Pasternak, Derrida, Deleuze, Foucault, Eichenbaum, Borges, Todorov, Wimsatt & Beardsley, DeMann

Attached: 1541043514206.png (954x612, 413K)

>Inquisitions/Other Inquisitions.
this

If someone hasn’t read every single one of those authors you’d hit them with a hammer? Wtf man

I don't have a lot of time to read but I can wear headphones throughout a lot of my day. I get a solid 2 hours of Montaigne's audiobook each day, and at a steadier pace than my reading. I probably retain about 75% of it, but since it's at a steadier pace and available at more times, I get a lot more "reading" done this way, that's all

>why didnt you read the stuff I read
weird flex, my frend

Audiobooks ate slower than reading them myself

pretty much this. I once tried audiobooks to see what the fuzz was all about and it was terrible. it's beyond me why people consume these shits

all those are canon yo

yeah but you read them in your pussy faggot big bang theory voice, and the audiobook is read by a professional vocalist

90% read at least one page of each author.
Probably finished 5% of author complete works.
I personally doesn't need to read 60000 pages of an author to know about it. Specially into literature.

>not setting the speed to 1.5x

clearly you did not read any of that list in english

Sorry I can't so much into English.
But you get it right ?

don't mind him, that's just gestapo user
he just does that for every author in every thread

He is a very dangerous man, running around in public places with his hammer asking people what they read. Be careful in London

>Mac user
No thanks

What's up with the dildo?

Montaigne comes off as a severely depressed person, I guess that is what happens when you admire stoicism and skepticism.

Is epicureanism and dogmatism your personal preference, user-kun? sounds fun I suppose.

I'm severely depressed. Do you have any tips for me? It's been like this for a while, do you think it might be lifelong? Is that a thing? Because at this point I've kind of just accepted it...

Not true at all. He is disappointed in his era (civil wars and all) but is clearly not depressed. He mentions how he avoids morose people like the plague.

>lists a huge range of writers
>penultimate author is the pair responsible for perpetuating the "author is dead" meme
yep, you're quite obviously a freshman

this. read Of Sadness, it's a short but powerful essay

gutenberg.org/files/3600/3600-h/3600-h.htm

this, you fucking plebs

>Subtract la Rochefoucauld
Why? Many of his maxims are very witty and demonstrate a great understanding of human motivations and relations. You will be wiser after reading him. That cannot be said about most authors (even if they are good).

The complete essays.

I read the essays in old French cause I'm French but It takes so much time only read 200pages. Wish more philosopher would enumerate stories, anecdotes, quotes and others to give life to their philosophy, makes the philosophy better and the reading comfy

"Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it."

This is really good. Was he gay, btw? Feel like he was another gay writer to add to the list of gay literary titans.

Not gay but I think he hated women a little bit for being weak.

Lord of Montaigne was married and had a daughter.

Weak, physically? You can't hate anyone, you have to be kind to them and make their day better.

Oh, okay.

He didn't hated it but he often conssider them weak minded, enumerate them with childs and likes. I don't see any resentment from his part tho. It's a totaly conventional thought for men during this era, and basically for 90% of men before modern era. I don't really know why we suddenly started to think women are strong minded and value more feminine values. It's kinda weird, I mean I understand why we would stop thinking like that, but in a few decades coming from centuries of "women are plebs everybody knows that" to conssidering it's one of the most absurd and moronic opinion someone could hold.