Now that the dust has settled - who was the better writer?

Now that the dust has settled - who was the better writer?
>inb4 neither

Attached: tolstoy and dostoevsky.jpg (1900x1080, 410K)

Pushkin

russians are bald lmao

gogol

Pure preference. I like Dostoevsky more in general, though, but I think I enjoyed War and Peace more than any of Dostoevsky's books.

Hemingway

yo mama

not even a choice. Gogol is good and influential but by far from the best. Chekhov absolutely BTFOs Gogol

talk to a girl tell her im reading the sun also rises.
She immediately tells me that Hemingways is shit and what he does is not even writing and is absolute trash.
Why do girls hate Hemingway ?

>listening to girls opinion in the first place

you have to if you want a Yea Forums gf

What about we all stfu unless we read Russian?

based girl

We have this thread every day

no we dont

Attached: Karamazov.jpg (1268x1744, 423K)

>enjoyed War and Peace more than any of Dostoevsky's book
>enjoying reading about /ourguy/ getting cucked twice

Tolstoy was a better writer, but dosty's books are better.

tfw you think russian writers are superior
t.f.w.

Anyone who truly writes knows that is much harder to achieve what Tolstoy achieved. Many people on Yea Forums praise Dostoievsky as superior only because they feel their style is similar. They somehow can see themselves doing what Dostoievsky did, but they don’t even know where to begin when it comes down to Tolstoy. I am certain that none of those people are writing seriously or have been writing for more than 5 years, and I guarantee none of them will achieve much. Also: it’s pretty certain Blood Meridian is one of the favorite books of the whole bunch.

read Berdyaev's book on Dostoevsky he lays it out p well

>what Tolstoy achieved
what do you have in mind?

why are we judging russian writers when we could be judging english writers? idgi

Tolstoyevsky

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

>not Dolstoy

i mean, even these russians names are in english

Turgenev

>they can see themselves doing what Dostoyevsky did

His books are genius I doubt any one who reads his books think they can write at that level

dosto has unironically converted around half the slavic department at my school (I'm a grad student in German and talk to slavic grads a lot). So he's certainly saved a lot of souls over the years.

>same exact post from the last dostoy thread

Dostoevsky. Tolstoy is the most overrated writer ever

Only fascists like Dosto.

More reasons to like him then

Tolstoy on a technical level is the better writer, on a soul level Dosto will hit many people (especially here) much harder though.

Both are amazing. If you read just Dostoevsky and Tolstoy from start to finish repeatedly for the rest of your life, you would be an extremely wise man.

>If you read just Dostoevsky and Tolstoy from start to finish repeatedly for the rest of your life, you would be an extremely wise man.
Elaborate on this

There isn’t much to elaborate on. Both explore all different kinds of moral and immoral sides of man, both understand people and societies very well. If the only books you read where the works of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, and you learned them well and repetitiously, you could do much worse choosing two writers as your teachers.

But is it actually possible to learn the book that well if you're not the author?

he was also a virulent antisemite

How well do you mean? Any truly good book is worth rereading, some worth rereading many times over the years. Tolstoy and Dostoevsky are two authors worthy of reading and rereading as much as you can.

I've thought about completely understanding the book but now that you've said perhaps you can learn something new upon ever re-reading and especially if you're older.

based

>it’s pretty certain Blood Meridian is one of the favorite books of the whole bunch.
Opinion Discarded