Restored vs original

I want to buy a full collection of Lovecraft stories, so I have been looking at all the various versions. On thing I noticed is that some Lovecraft collections are based on the original pulp magazine submissions, while others are based on Joshi's restorations. Which versions are better? Also, are collections of cheap, small Lovecraft books or one big, expensive book a better way of gathering all of Lovecraft's writings? Would paperback be fine, or would hardcover last longer? Would a British publisher be better for me since I don't speak American English? I know Lovecraft wrote in British.

Attached: lovecraft.jpg (975x1224, 513K)

Do American publishers translate Lovecraft into American? Or do they publish his writings in British?

Well the word "philosopher" was banned in american fiction with the release of harry potter so you do the math

Just get one of the complete works collections.

There are quite a few to choose from though and like I said, some are based on the original versions in the magazines, while others are based on Joshi's edits. Which of these are better?

Does it matter? If you're that worried and that dedicated get both and read both and then decide for yourself.

I'm poor so I can't afford to buy double-ups of books.

What do you mean "can't afford"? Buy one now, buy the next in 6 months, if it's that dire.
If you like one and not the other then sell it on.
You're making excuses to not read it.

It doesn't really matter because any lovecraft is trash

I've already read the stories of Lovecraft available from the library. I'm not making any excuses. I'm wanting to buy Lovecraft book collection(s) for more.

OP here.
I've narrowed my choices down to buying a combo of Barnes and Nobles complete + Fungi from Yuggoth + Horror in the museum and other tales or Knickerbocker complete + Fungi from Yuggoth + Horror in the museum and other tales or Necronomicon + Eldritch tales + Horror in the museum and other tales
Out of these 3 combos, which is the best and has the least errors? Are annotations helpful?

Also OP. I read online from reviewers that the Penguin classics editions of Lovecraft sometimes have spoilers in their annotations, which is why I'm leaning away from the Penguin ones.
The Barnes and Nobles edition and the Penguin classics editions apparantly have intros on each story buy Joshi. Are they helpful or annoying and spoiling?

There is a really good complete (really complete, not “selected stories” complete) collection for free in Project Guttenberg, user

Attached: 7008E4FD-FED4-4FC1-9C94-865F93689CEA.jpg (500x500, 40K)

I'm using the 3 Penguin books, and I find annotations really helpful. They add a lot of background information, and help you understand who/why he was writing these stories.
As far as I know, there were two instances of spoilers in the annotations (in two books, I haven't read The Dreams in the Witch House and other stories yet), but I think you can find them if you google it. Or do what I did, and read the annotations after reading the story. A lot of info in certain stories is what he based the city/streets on, and that certain houses actually used to exist, and you can easily read that afterwards if you're interested (the annotations are more diverse than that, but you get what I'm saying)

the necronomicon one is good

I own this one. Pretty good considering the price.

Attached: 51HcwfuOqnL.jpg (355x500, 51K)

it costs like 12 bucks. cheapest option out there and it's hardcover.

JOSHI
O
S
H
I

The pulp revisions were done without Lovecraft's permission. Joshi stays 100% true to Lovecraft's vision. If Lovecraft were alive he would tell you to grab Joshi's restorations. As for the British publisher question, it doesn't really matter which publisher you go with. I've never heard of an American publisher Americanizing Lovecraft's prose.

>The Barnes and Nobles edition and the Penguin classics editions apparantly have intros on each story buy Joshi. Are they helpful or annoying and spoiling?
The Penguin introductions are full of spoilers. Most of the B&N introductions just give background info on the story, but some of them contain spoilers. I advise picking up the B&N book and only reading the parts of the introductions where Joshi specifies when the story was written and what publication it was first published in. Fully read the introduction after you've finished the story.

Attached: hp-lovecraft-the-complete-fiction-1.png (1200x1200, 1.2M)

Do: Barnes and Noble + Collected Fiction Volume 4 Revisions and Collaborations (it's a paperback but has more stories than The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions) + The Fungi from Yuggoth (if you're willing to spend more money, get The Ancient Track: The Complete Poetical Works of H. P. Lovecraft instead).

Attached: Collected Fiction Volume 4 (Revisions and Collaborations) A Variorum Edition.jpg (333x499, 35K)

This is mine. Really good.

>On thing I noticed is that some Lovecraft collections are based on the original pulp magazine submissions, while others are based on Joshi's restorations.

It's not the same text?

It varies. Some of Lovecraft's stories were unmolested by the pulp magazines, but some were heavily edited. The biggest example is At the Mountains of Madness. Astounding Stories ripped out entire paragraphs from the story, changed spelling, changed punctuation, replaced words, and broke up almost every paragraph into smaller paragraphs. Lovecraft was absolutely furious.

And how to know which is which? Like these for example? Are these okay?

I know for a fact that the B&N edition uses Joshi's restorations. I'm not sure about . Could you post the copyright page(s)? That would probably clear up the issue.

If you're going to get make sure you don't get the first edition. Is full of spelling errors etc. Second edition is what you want, has silver paper sides, first edition has gold so it's easy to see which is which

By the way, I don't own the Knickerbocker edition, but I've heard that it uses Joshi's text. So the Chartwell Classics edition is a mystery but B&N and Knickerbocker are safe. Also, is right. Another way to make sure you grab the 2nd edition B&N book instead of the 1st edition is the 1st edition came out in 2008 and has a 2008 copyright in it, whereas the second edition came out in 2011 and has a 2011 copyright in it.

>Could you post the copyright page(s)?
this one? someone at amazon said it was based on knickerbocker's edition save the joshi commentaries, but I don't if that's true.

Attached: copyright.png (670x371, 60K)

One last note: avoid pre-1985 Lovecraft fiction collections. From 1985 to 1989 Arkham House published Joshi's restorations in 4 books. Those 4 books are: The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions (1989), Dagon and Other Macabre Tales (1986), At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels (1985), and The Dunwich Horror and Others (1985). Pre-1985 Lovecraft fiction collections, including the ones that Arkham House put out, relied on the pulp magazines instead of Lovecraft's manuscripts. Most post-1989 Lovecraft fiction collections have relied on Joshi's restorations, but every once in a while someone fucks up and uses the pulp texts instead.

Yes, but that doesn't answer the question. Is there any mention of Arkham House or Joshi?

They quote Joshi in the intro. And it has the same number of pages as the Knickerbocker one, same (although shortened) description, same intro by Eric Carl Link (like the B&N second edition), same index of stories, even the same title and some of the same designs from that edition, too (pic related). Everything points out that it's basically the same, although cheaper

Attached: 423432.png (456x426, 43K)

Alright, then you're fine.

MURICA

The Knickerbocker and Chartwell have the exact same text

>The Cast(sic) of Charles Dexter Ward

A typo right on the cover doesn't inspire much confidence in the contents of the edition.

it's just the dust jacket, the content is fine, though.