Literary companions like mozart is to kierkegaard

Attached: kierkegaard1.jpg (1661x2168, 486K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BKy967puebk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Salieri

Beethoven and Goethe

Vladimir Nabokov and Igor Stravinsky

Dostoevsky and Mussorgsky

Heidegger is a good compliment to Webern

complement*, autocorrect got me.

Nietzsche and early Wagner
Sartre and Juliette Greco
Sam Harris and Aqua

What's the association of Mozart and Kierkegaaard?

Sam Hyde and Tim Heidecker

There is none, there's not really a good analog to Mozart in literature.

>t.has never read either/or

> t. has never listened to Mozart

eccentric autists

Hyde is a retard tho

t.makes false accusations

Besides Don Giovanni, this is maybe my favorite from Mozart.

youtube.com/watch?v=BKy967puebk

Okay, I'll bite. How is Either/Or or Kierkegaard's philosophy at all similar or representative of Mozart's music?

PLEB

He specifically writes about it in either/or. There is a whole section about it in the first half were he presents the aesthetic stage. If I remember correctly he talks about how Mozart's version is the definitive one. He then compares Don Giovanni to Faust. I read it almost three years ago so unfortunately it is no longer fresh in my mind. Maybe some who has read it more recently can expand on it.

Wouldn't you say in that sense that maybe Goethe is the better counterpart to Mozart if Kierkegaard directly compares their aesthetics?

If I remember correctly he compares Don Giovanni's love for an endless number of woman to Faust's singular love for Gretchen and uses this to discuss his idea of the aesthetic stage vs the ethical stage which is the theme of the overall book.

Two things: first, why compare Kierkegaard to Mozart when Either/Or is an analysis of ethics that uses Don Giovanni as an example to prove a point, rather than a work that stands as its own definitive aesthetic stage in literature? You would think that to conjure the effect of Mozart in literature you would require something that strives to achieve the same goals rather than analyse those goals in contrast to others.

Second, Kierkegaard's analysis of Don Giovanni is centered on the plot, not the music. Don't you think that Either/Or is really discussing Lorenzo Da Ponte's contribution rather than Mozart's?

Kierkegaard was a Don Giovanni fanboy

Kierkegaard is a companion to Mozart. I wouldn't say he is the literary/philosophical form or mirror image of Mozart's music. I know the music can be listened to without the words and the words without the music, but I don't think Kierkegaard makes that distinction as the music is expressing the plot as well.

Mann and Wagner

What about Salieri? do you have a literary counterpart for him, or are you just dropping him because you watched Amadeus once? Have you even listened to his music?

Adorno and Beethoven

Nah, more like;
Emily Bronte and Wagner

a match made in heaven, both of them are wildly overrated and shallow.

not much, ppl make the connectin due to the thing at the start of Either Or on Mozart, but imo Kirkegaard is a better match for late Romanticism and Early Modernism. Usually art is a step ahead of philosophy, but Kirkegaard cheated by beaing a great writer and I would match him with Schoenberg, purely on the basis of his boundary pushing genious.

Kafka and Mahler
Pound and Vivaldi

lol

(desu I hate it when people online give answers despite being clueless about the subject - it's just unnecessary spread of disinformation)

Shakespeare

>there's not really a good analog to Mozart in literature.
Joyce

Stefan George and Brahms

Nah. Rather Gogol and Mussorgsky.

Dosto and Bach.

Schumann and E.T.A Hoffmann for obvious reasons.

Also Hölderlin and Brahms.

Liszt and Byron.

Heine and Chopin.

Mann goes with Mahler
Also Cioran and Bach

Goethe didn't even lime Beethoven though, it took Mendelssohn playing him liano reductions of the symphonies for him to begrudgingly admit that there might be something there.

Lully and Stendhal

No, Bach = Shakespeare.

Debussy and Proust
classic

Schubert and Müller

It's because he got owned by Beethoven
>As Bettina von Arnim must have guessed, the relationship between the urbane, worldly Goethe – Privy Counsellor at the Weimar court, as well as a national cultural hero – and the composer described by Cherubini as ‘an unlicked bear’ was never going to be easy. After Beethoven left Teplitz, he told Breitkopf & Härtel: ‘Goethe delights in the court atmosphere far more than is becoming to a poet. Is there any point in talking about absurdities of virtuosos, when poets, who should be regarded as the nation’s first teachers, forget everything for the sake of this glitter?’

>Goethe’s social attitudes, like his musical tastes, were shaped in a more formal age. For Beethoven, 21 years his junior, the only true aristocrats were artists. In the mythology, his disillusionment was clinched by Goethe’s behaviour when they encountered royalty in the street, as reported 20 years later by Bettina: ‘Beethoven said to Goethe: keep walking as you have until now, holding my arm, they must make way for us, not the other way around. Goethe thought differently; he drew his hand, took off his hat and stepped aside, while Beethoven, hands in pockets, went right through the dukes and their cortege... They drew aside to make way for him, saluting him in friendly fashion. Waiting for Goethe who had let the dukes pass, Beethoven told him: “I have waited for you because I respect you and I admire your work, but you have shown too much esteem to those people.”’

Schumann & Jean Paul Richter

goethe sounds pretty cringe

I'm just spitballing here
Schopenhauer and Mahler
Tolstoy and Tchaikovsky
Faulkner and Copeland
Joyce and Percy Grainger
Camus and Poulenc
Bulgakov and Shostakovich
Fitzgerald and Gershwin

Kierkegaard never made anything on the same level as greensleeves.

"The Virgin Courtesy"
>Goethe thought differently; he drew his hand, took off his hat and stepped aside
THE CHAD STRIDE
>Beethoven, hands in pockets, went right through the dukes and their cortege... They drew aside to make way for him

Bach: Homer
Mozart: Shakespeare
Beethoven: Goethe

Extra:
Haydn: Dante
Chopin: Byron
Liszt: Proust
Mahler: Joyce
Skrjabin: Mallarme

>Mahler: Joyce
>The Mahler family came from eastern Bohemia and were of humble circumstances; the composer's grandmother had been a street pedlar. Bohemia was then part of the Austrian Empire; the Mahler family belonged to a German-speaking minority among Bohemians, and was also Ashkenazic Jewish.

Meyerbeer
Mendelssohn
Alkan
Rubinstein
Joachim
Dessauer
Moscheles
Strauss
Wieniawski
Klemperer
Schnabel
Schoenberg
Gershwin
Bernstein
Ligeti
Glass
Zimmer

Erik Satie and John Edward Williams

Goethe behaved properly and Beethoven behaved like a resentful and annoying pleb.

Checked. Out-chadding Chad is quite an accomplishment.

Attached: the_goethe_stride.jpg (524x489, 51K)

Schiller - Weber (Carl Maria von)
Bely - Scriabin
Milton - Bach
Wieland - Haydn
Kafka - Mahler (they were le jews xDD)
Tolstoi - Beethoven
Proust - Debussy

Tolstoy and Scriabin

Hitler - Pfitzner
DFW - Petzold

You must be joking, user.

Nietzsche to Bach

>But he soon fell out with chief Nazis, who were alienated by his long musical association with the Jewish conductor Bruno Walter.