I've recently purchased about 7 ton (7,000 kg) of books for $1500...

I've recently purchased about 7 ton (7,000 kg) of books for $1500. I'm sorting through them and discarding the ones that won't sell in my shop and keeping the ones that will. I'm interested personally in non fiction, history, society, philosophy etc.
There is an absolute shit ton of paper and hardback novels, readers digest condensed novels and romance etc. It's just trash, but when donating them to charity, they snapped up the romance because they are so popular.
I'm new to this game, should I just started a non fiction book shop and discard all the novels?

Attached: IMG_20190227_222055.jpg (2048x1536, 1.99M)

Other urls found in this thread:

zubalbooks.com/buy-bulk-books.jsp
2swellguys.com/wholesale/
randomhouse.com/knopf/classics/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is about 1/4 of the books, I still have to pick up more and am running out of room. 70% of them are trash but there are some okay finds, no real philosophy books but have found some cool social studies, medical, psychology, history books. There's a lot of cooking, some animals and sport etc. It is a massive task sorting out and am overwhelmed

Attached: IMG_20190227_222111.jpg (2048x1536, 1.95M)

You are never going to sell all that bullshit

why did you do this?

Amazon

You really shouldn’t discard certain books becuase you don’t like them. No grocery store won’t carry dairy products becuase the owner doesn’t like the taste of them. Likewise, just becuase you don’t like novels, that does not mean you should not sell them. Besides, you’d be alienating a good amount of people looking to buy fiction, and a niche group of philosophy book buyers won’t keep you afloat.

>I've recently purchased about 7 ton (7,000 kg) of books for $1500.

Attached: 1381206299864.jpg (500x375, 46K)

Where can I buy books by the ton?

Why the fuck?

Attached: 1498672734334.png (500x496, 155K)

the cashier at the used book store where i go to told me he's bringing 12 tons of book per week to the garbage dump and only keeps a small part of what people donating in store.

I went to an antique shop to buy a bookcase and seen some old books so I bought them and was telling the guy I like collecting old books and he asked if I wanted to start a bookshop and out of curiosity i said yes, he told me to come to this big garage around the corner and there was a stack of books like a mountain. He said I can't go through them one by one because it would take forever and he needs the room. So I have been doing loads with my little pickup truck and picking them up.

True, it's not that they are novels it's that they are really old or stupid or damaged

You played yourself

I would try deceased estates, antique shops/ auctioneers. People who have tried to start a bookshop but got too old or went out of business because of the area they were in or didn't know they're customers etc. I'm living in a small town so I've heard I should keep the romance and crime novels. Which I personally hate

what a waste of money. those books look like shit. post the best of what you bought.

I hope none of that shit is infested with anything.

Attached: IMG_20190303_152826.jpg (2048x1536, 1.93M)

Attached: IMG_20190303_153151.jpg (2048x1536, 1.41M)

You would make a much more lucrative buisness selling that shit on ebay. It would take a long time,money,space and maybe even you might have to employ someone but its probable the most lucrative profit. Bookshops are dead

This is what I would be afraid of most.
Buy boxes of books just makes me assume there is mold or silverfish poop all over them

Attached: IMG_20190303_153052.jpg (2048x1536, 1.44M)

Attached: IMG_20190303_154015.jpg (2048x1536, 2.3M)

Attached: IMG_20190303_153102.jpg (2048x1536, 1.45M)

Attached: IMG_20190303_153500.jpg (2048x1536, 2.76M)

That kind of shit you can dispose of immediately. Regardless of how I or you personally feel about Cosby, the truth is no one would be caught dead consciously buying that book in a store. It might be a funny thing to keep around and depending on peoples' senses of humour they could get a kick out of it, but as far as a sellable product, dont waste your time with any sort of discredited or shamed celebrity or cultural figure.

Holy fuck nigger learn how to rotate images

That technology hasn't been released in Australia yet

I laughed irl

i mean you will probably make your money back but you are basically buying a job. Might have been better to just stick to your day job and gamble all that money into weed stocks instead

I assume that you have a good amount of capital to do all this and free time, if I were you I’d start my own boutique shop. This is more about the space you can rent or buy in a larger city if you want a brick and mortar store. If I had your means I’d do it myself. It sounds like you have the energy and the taste to make this happen but you’ll need to go the extra mile. Social media, hype, inroads in the community. All of it.

Kek r a retard

Yeah that's a good point but I would rather be doing this than working a job in an hourly rate. It's good fun, hardwork and a bit of a risk

where is your store?

In Australia

which state?

Can you tell me why your asking? I have some enemies

Time flies when you rape

because im in WA

I'm a couple of hours out of Melbourne

Nice books.

Attached: IMG_20190303_193717.jpg (2048x1536, 1.46M)

Attached: IMG_20190303_193710.jpg (2048x1536, 1.89M)

Almost bought a set full of The Second World War for 80$ last night. In slightly better condition but still.

How many Everymans are there? i know a university dean who has a whole room of those old, golden spine evreyman's classics on display; and its the sexiest thing i've ever seen.

Look guys, it's only $3.95!

>tfw op is going to cover that sticker up

You fucking moron. You paid him to clean his garage, empty everything, and transport the trash away.

Fucking nigger logic

Kek

hoarding is a serious mental illness and you can get help from health professionals. don't wait until it's too late OP.

Do car dealers have a car hoarding problem?

do banks have a money hoarding problem?

m8 you better not be in albury you cheeky cunt

I used to work in s/h bookshops and did most of the sorting etc, and a little procurement. e also got lots of crap donated every now and then, which increased the workload.
My advice would be to find out where your nearest recycling facility is and arrange to not have to pay for getting rid of paper. That way you won't have to spend more money on this crap.
Some protips:
Get rid of all magazines, newspapers, schoolbooks.
Get rid of all Readers' Digests; books given away with magazines, Da Vinci Code, and the like.
Get rid of all books that are damaged.
Get rid of all books that look like crap or are cosmetically unattractive.
Start to sort them into 5-6 main categories as you go along. No need to get too granular.
Figure out a rough price scheme based on type of book + condition.
V. good; good; dump anything less than good.
Keep an eye out for nice hardbacks, signed editions (usually local authors), old books, which may be worth a little. If you're not sure yet, just put them aside in a box for now.
Be merciless when sorting, it will make life much easier in the long run. Don't expect too much in terms of return, keep the crap cheap and people will buy. And good luck.

>I was telling the guy I like collecting old books and he asked if I wanted to start a bookshop and out of curiosity i said yes
lmao wtf

>should I just started a non fiction book shop and discard all the novels
Lol no. If you have any chance of selling that crap then it's classics and the kind of nonfiction that stays relevant despite being old such as philosophy, architecture, art and history.

Throw out:
>anything in crappy condition
>anything that smells bad
>magazines, newspapers, reader's digest
>crappy pulp fiction (fantasy, science fiction, adventure, etc.)
>outdated science books
>outdated school books
>autobiographies of anyone you have to look up on wikipedia
>autobiographies of anyone you can't find on wikipedia
>obscure celebrity books
>cookery books that aren't old enough to have novelty

Also the guy probably ripped you off. It's likely that you got the stuff that failed his own selection, i.e. the trash.

i'm the previous bookstore user, this is mostly accurate, bar getting rid of pulp fiction: that is in fact what sells most, not the so-called "classics", let's be honest here.

Damn why are my NPC interactions never like this? I never get those kinds of dialogue options.

I’m covetous of that copy of Les Mis. Please tell you’ll sell some of this on like Amazon or something.

Bad bargain. You most likely got played, you might break even but that's actually still a negative.
The time weeding out crap books, cost of disposing those books and the money of transporting all those books back and forth. Then the loss of your space, the chance these books are swimming with bugs and mold, etc.
I would have maybe paid at most $400 and then tell the owner to take it or leave it.
But who knows, it might be worth it.

Hey buddy you ever wanted to expand your book store to a thrift store? For the cheap offer of 500 bucks I'll let you clean out my garage.

OP there's a section of my barn full of chicken wire, scrap wood and broken sheets of drywall that I need to clean. What about you give me 600$ and come clean it up?

>I've recently purchased about 7 ton (7,000 kg) of books

Attached: nani3.png (476x802, 339K)

OP I think YOU just paid someone to clean up THEIR garbage yourself

Lay out some of these on a blanket so we can take a look

used books are worth nothing. only way you could make some money is by postage scamming. Sell every book for 4 bucks but jew people with 4.95 or whatever in postage.

To me it looks like you got jewed big time my man
But then again you are in a position to spend $1500 on a whim, so you probably deserved it and have enough money not to be harmed by this decision anyway.

Find the ones that aren't on libgen and contribute to it. :)

Google is your friend. Search "buy books by the pallet", or "purchase bulk books", or some derivative of that. Amazon and e-bay offer that too, but I'm not familiar with those.
links related.

zubalbooks.com/buy-bulk-books.jsp
2swellguys.com/wholesale/

>How many Everymans are there?
over 500 titles, user. link related.
randomhouse.com/knopf/classics/

one mans trash is another mans treasure
I'm always curious to dig through giant pile of books like that. wearing gloves, of course..

what have you contributed to LibGen?
I've upped maybe 40-50 rare books there myself, not all scanned by myself, true, but difficult to elsewhere online at any rate.

Sell that shit online dumbass. Opening a book store with that old shit isnt that profitable.

Attached: 1551453069728.jpg (1049x684, 54K)

>literally paying for loot boxes
Why?

I hope you find some good shit OP