What the fuck is with philosophy Yea Forums? Every book I try to read requires at least two others to be understood

What the fuck is with philosophy Yea Forums? Every book I try to read requires at least two others to be understood.
>oooh boy im going to read some Deeeleuuuz
>Oh shit, better read some Neetch and Spinoza
>Neetch mentions Hegel and Kant
>Ok, well ill read some Spinoza
>Fuck i should read descartes

When does it end? I don't want to read the Greeks and then traverse 2000 years of philosophical thought. Fuck me.

Attached: 1541802380787.jpg (740x470, 68K)

You /should/ read some Plato and Aristotle tho

Philosophy is a bunch of nerds ripping off other nerds and passing it along as their own. You are simply trying to find the original nerd, that all the other nerds have ripped off.

start with geometry

Hard things are hard. That's just the way it is my man.

You absolutely can start with neetch or spinoza or kant and or hegel. You start basically anywhere before kant or after and philosophy's roots will guide you back whilst it flows you to modern times. Or some people just read wittgenstein and fuck off with the bullshit, (but nobody listens to those guys) its like the man solved philosophy but everyone just ignored the chap.

why do u think every university course makes u start with the Greeks. Hint: it’s not a meme

No.

But he should read Euclid’s Elements. One of my favorite philosophy books. Proclus’ Commentary on it is amazing. You would be surprised how many books I read reference Euclid’s Elements. He (Pythagoras) basically created Algebra and synthetically geometry with that book

>go to uni
>they start with the Greeks
Wtf bros???

>Euclid's Elements
>Pythagoras

Attached: ee.jpg (251x201, 8K)

And his name is Plato.

reading the Greeks is arguably the high point

Basically the author of Euclid’s Elements, yes. Euclid just structures the ordering and execution of the existent proofs, you see.

You should start neither with the ancient edge of the philosophical thought, nor with the modern edge of it. You go straight to the middle, to the top of the bell curve, and see Hegel's “The Phenomenology of Spirit” there. Start with it.

Pythagoras and Eudoxus, really. Once you get deeper into the book, around Books X - XIII you could say those are Euclid perhaps. That’s the most genius part of the work anyway.

But the reason Euclid structured it the way he did was to prevent anyone from poking holes in his axioms or mathematical system.

Back in those times, everyone had their own version of an ‘Elements’- like work. And they would do battle with each other and try to poke holes in everyone else’s axioms/system.

It was like Pokémon but with mathematics. Man I wish I could have lived back then.

>hegel masturbating and calling himself god
pass

When you put it that way it actually sounds really based.

well philosophy doesnt exist in a bubble. you can sidestep this partially by reading companion and secondary texts to familiarise yourself with the climate as opposed to just reading through a chronological 'greatest hits' of primary texts

Most philosophy is shit. Just read the Greeks (Plato,Aristotle) and skim the Enlightenment (Kant) and other guys like Heidegger. Most of the French suck.

Kek

You can read Plotinus and Boethius instead.

Get an overview book or a textbook to frame your early learning. You could learn by just picking important texts and trying to figure it out from there, but you've just learned that it's a ridiculous pain in the ass. Get an overview, and along with that start reading foundational texts in your area of interest...don't forget that philosophy isn't one thing. It's a whole lot easier to go "I want to understand aesthetics" or "I want to understand ethics" than to try and tackle philosophy broadly. Do the shit you care about and everything else will be easier afterwards. Oh, then leave this board because philosophy should be banned, but still go ahead with your studies.

>I don't want to read the Greeks and then traverse 2000 years of philosophical thought
Enjoy plebhood.

Just read Plato's Meno and Theaetetus. Plato is the peak of philosophy. Fuck anything that came afterwards.

Starting with the Greeks is a meme for a reason.

I have the feeling this thread won't actually help OP in the slightest. lmao

>continental pseuds desperately want to be seen as intellectuals
>refuse to put in the hard work of starting at the beginning

Start with the Greeks. You won’t e able to understand everything the first time anyways and when someone argues with someone else in a philosophical text they always misrepresent them to advance their point, so even if you read Kant, you’ll wind up going “well that’s not actually what Kant said at all, but okay what are you trying to say beard man?”

It doesn’t actually matter, but the fundamental philosophical arguments are all laid out by the Greeks.

>no just starting with stirner and ending with him

Attached: 143567987897896.jpg (1052x650, 80K)

I'd say read about a philsopher discussing another philosopher like Patocka on Husserl, Deleuze on Nietzsche or Zizek on Lacan. Oddly enough I find this solves the problem since it creates a defined circle of reference the writer has to explain better.

>buying into the meme this hard
I agree that he should read Plato but my god man

Attached: 1551303370965.png (621x702, 56K)

Attached: system of objects baudrillard.jpg (510x715, 394K)