Can a film be as meaningful as a work of literature? If so, which ones?

Can a film be as meaningful as a work of literature? If so, which ones?

Attached: 1510459555861.jpg (1280x546, 207K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qbINmsBCCAw
youtube.com/watch?v=LayW8aq4GLw
youtube.com/watch?v=uKUChOwam_M
youtube.com/watch?v=KFExn_DnRv4
youtube.com/watch?v=FED1zl5p-kA
youtube.com/watch?v=cGYZ5847FiI
rateyourmusic.com/films/chart
youtube.com/watch?v=BATPzXjmV_s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

2001 A Space Odyssey
The Skin I Live In
The 400 Blows
Los Olvidados

your mom's video diary desu

late Leone

yes
the ones I like

>Kubrick

Attached: 1519497939475.png (631x571, 469K)

yea
Kiarostami, Ozu, Bresson

>Bresson
watched the one about the Donkey; was not a fan

>not liking Kubrick
Shit taste, my man. Consider suicide.

watch Nymphomaniac

What does it mean "to be meaningful"?

Eyes Wide Shut

>This is your mum's anus after I brutally fucked her, user.

Attached: gl_g_kubrickts_64011.jpg (1003x564, 48K)

>Kubrick was born in the Lying-In Hospital at 307 Second Avenue in Manhattan, New York City, to a Jewish family.

Stalker by tarkovsky, big recommend.

Full Metal Jacket is pretty great

>Kubrick was Jewish
No shit. Next thing you'll say is Jesus was also a Jew. Back to /pol/, /pol/tard.

What is this screencap from? it looks beautiful.

I do not think a film can be meaningful in the same way that literature can be, but it can still be great art.

I like Terrence Malick's films, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, The New World, and The Tree of Life.

His early stuff is pretty good, Paths of Glory was probably his best film. Everything from Strangelove onward is overrated. Barry Lyndon was pretty good from a technical standpoint I guess.

You seriously didn't like 2001 and Orange?? Full Metal Jacket??

Who cares?

Marketa Lazarová

Knight of Cups

what does it mean to "mean "to be meaningful"?"?

You just need to watch more and purge the decades of US mass media movie language ingrained into your brain. The way Bresson expresses himself is unique and offensive to modern sensibilities, but pretty incredible once you get used to it.

a picture is worth a thousand words

Late Spring
An Elephant Sitting Still
Ordet

okay, now that the dust has settled, who was in the right here?
youtube.com/watch?v=qbINmsBCCAw

A word is worth a thousand pictures.

>Ingmar Bergman also said of the movie, "this Balthazar, I didn't understand a word of it, it was so completely boring... A donkey, to me, is completely uninteresting, but a human being is always interesting."

Attached: 27549_v9_ba.jpg (1080x1440, 298K)

It means that it carries that quality - being meaningful - which you still haven't defined.

If you're prepared to bring a wealth of internal touchstones to it, sure. Going in blind on a recommendation doesn't seem wise.

waht does that mean

Of course, user.
Tarkovksy, Rohmer, Tarr, Anderson, Bergman, Lean, Powell and Pressburger to name a few. And finally me in 7 years

Attached: 092FA507-F8DB-44DC-A6F6-6E4492CF3D25.jpg (350x350, 103K)

I unironically hate movies

Wes Anderson? Brad Anderson? Paul Thomas Anderson? Paul W.S. Anderson?

Clearly PTA

>This installation here is a reminder for me of Bergman and his cock.
based

user’s got it right. PTA.

god those nuns must have developed some nice thighs and glutes climbing up there every day all sweaty in their leggings

Fuck you dude

umm this is a Christian board

Film as art has become stunted. It needs to pass the two hour mark more often if it requires the time to tell the story properly. Just imagine all of war and peace gutted to fit two hours so it can able to be played at theaters.

More like shitbrick

>drama/theater as art has become stunted
>It needs to pass the three hour mark more often if it requires the time to tell the story properly.

TV shows?

it needs the budget of film to be as good.

i would like to get into film but

>anything even slightly more obscure than entry-level isnt available on public trackers
>private trackers have so many hoops to jump through
>no netflix type subscription service for the films i'd like to watch

also i'm squeamish and dislike watching anything visually disturbing

literature is dead, film won

Attached: angel_exterminado.jpg (718x298, 48K)

use torrentking, hundreds of all but the most obscure art films

why are euros so fucking weird?

Attached: Untitled.png (1360x768, 653K)

>was brought up with his Jewish father, and only found out in later life that his biological father was a non-Jewish German

how do you even get into private trackers though? whenever i come across one that looks good i have to have an invite from someone, fill out an interview and have a track record that shows i've seeded a ton on some other private tracker that also requires experience on some other tracker...all this to maybe get in.

youtube.com/watch?v=LayW8aq4GLw

yes of course
mind you it's nor tarkovsky, bergman, or tarr CHRIST

how do you reconcile that with poems with 14 lines that are much better than war and peace

what sort of weird films are you looking for

WHO THEN

orson welles and jean renoir

who are the best Russian directors in order

Didn't know Bergman was a pleb.

Sad.

nah that's based only the French can connect to a donkey

I exclusively watch Italian neorealism, czech arthouse, and Korean postclassical neoHammer exploitation films

thanks user, I'm 100% gonna watch this

criterion's launching a subscription service soon if that's what you're looking for

Yes, Tengiz Abuladze's The Plea.

Attached: the plea.jpg (1118x645, 89K)

Unironically Predator with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
10/10

Self hating jew that got killed for exposing elite sex rituals in eyes whide shut

Can a videogame be as meaningful as a work of philosophy? If so, which work of philosophy is the Dark Souls of posadism?

awful movie

honestly the only game that comes remotely close to art is Deus Ex.
Too many arty games now aren't "good games" and too many "games" have no art.

>Deus Ex director Warren Spector
>Spector grew up in Manhattan, which he described as a sometimes hostile environment where "short, pudgy, Jewish kids didn't fare well".

yes

Attached: 1551033286948.jpg (4000x1738, 3.99M)

Yeah well he's probably right.
I completely detest Zionists but some of the best writers were Jewish, Kafka for example.
It was bound to happen, jews outside of Israel have a tendency to be pretty monomaniacal, how do you assume they got to controlling the western world?

Any of y'all ever watch them DEFA kinos? Paul and Paula was pretty fun

gay conception of art desu familia.
but you're half right, "arty games" are usually bad games- which means they're also bad art.
games already were art the moment the first game was made, in the same way painting was already an art the moment some retarded caveman started using his dejections to decorate his cave.
to add to thatm Pacman, Tetris and the Witcher 3: wild hunt are the best games ever made.

Bresson is a tough one. He doesn't believe in acting lol. I'd try with easier shit, like Bergman or even Tarkovsky. Maybe osmeone more contemporary as well.

i like some of bressons stuff, but bergman is right here. that movie was do fucking boring.

Why is Kubrick such a pseud magnet?

>guys can you spoonfeed me
>"my" "taste" in everything has to be validated by the hivemind i keep droning mindlessly
lmao

So, (spoiler alert) the sun is going out and the people on the spaceship are going to restart it and save the earth. They have a lot of challenges to overcome like in any movie, and then they overcome them. But here's the thing about the movie that you won't believe: no one ever looks really serious and says "It's daylight saving time."
Not one character. No one says "It's daylight saving time." In the entire movie. I know you don't think it's possible, but if you watch it you'll feel like you wasted 4 hours of your life (time moves slower when you're waiting for someone to deliver an amazing line). What were the writers thinking!?

Attached: 8F214A3F-8304-47FA-A130-85B49FB9AFB4.jpg (206x305, 25K)

jej

The Witness is the only game that can be considered art

Attached: 533916167.jpg (640x360, 71K)

Andreï Roubliev

He's a great filmmaker, why the sudden hate?

Mirror is better.

based opinion

nah Balthazar was just pretentious as fuck

I actually like Kubrick, he was a good director, but he's sort of the definition of entry level cinema

For a great film and a shitty book, sure. However, literature is the artform with the greatest potential for the pure and robust expression of the mind.

plane scene
dark knight rises

Early cinema certainly does because it was working with a uniquely cinematic language. Cinema took a wrong turn, where it stopped developing a uniquely cinematic language, and instead, began aping other art forms (literature and theater most prominently).

Some essential classical directors are Griffith, Eisenstein, Renoir, Stroheim, Flaherty, Ford, Godard (still makes great work) and Rossellini. For more contemporary filmmakers who I think are worthwhile, check out Abel Ferrara and Michael Mann. There are other valuable filmmakers too, but those are some to start off with.
Based, Revenge of the Sith is one of the best films of the 21st century so far. Blends the potential of CGI tech with very classical cinematic formal properties.

>tfw griffithfag will never return

Attached: s61aopaac3k11.png (640x628, 150K)

>His father, the famous architect Mikhail Osipovich Eisenstein, was born in Kiev Oblast, to a Jewish merchant family originating from Vasylkiv.
>the son of Benno Stroheim, a middle-class hat-maker, and Johanna Bondy, both of whom were observant Jews.

And his films BTFO of any of the lousy trash produced by the Third Reich

>story

Attached: 1551414305732.jpg (600x900, 148K)

I saw him months ago iirc. Where's he gone?

Orange and FMJ is Good -tier

2001 is meh -tier

Barry Lyndon (for its aesthetic reasons), Paths of glory, Shining and Eyes wide shut are God -tier

this. Third Reich propaganda films are bloated, and boring as hell

Adorno doesn't think so.

Switch Orange and 2001
Orange book >>>>> Orange film

game of thrones

Come on, lad. How has the development of a cinematic language ceased? Are you claiming, with all sincerity, that films today don’t possess a more complex system of semiotics than was available during cinema’s first 60 (or so) years?

Further, how can you claim this stunted growth is due to the aping of other forms of art and yet praise Godard? (Not to say that Godard isn’t brilliant, but rather that his Nouvelle Vogue corpus has a wide range of influences outside of cinema.)

Attached: 3F219868-554C-4568-957A-AC67F399E7CD.png (195x189, 94K)

I recently watched A man asleep and La Jetee, what are some similar movies.
I lack the black and white aesthetic, and I am always afraid to watch a movie that is too long.

OP's movie is 3 hours long. That's enormous.

>His mother, a devout Catholic from Corsica, was once a professional singer, while his father, an assimilated Jew who had converted to Protestantism,

Weird, her anus kinda looks like a middle aged man from the 40's.

Deus Ex is an amazing game but you're retarded if you consider it art.

>A man asleep
>Born in a working-class district of Paris, Perec was the only son of Icek Judko and Cyrla (Schulewicz) Peretz, Polish Jews who had emigrated to France in the 1920s.

Metro Last Light maybe.

>franchise creator Dmitry Glukhovsky
>From age 17, he left Russia to study in Israel, living there for 4 1/2 years, learning Hebrew, and receiving a university degree in journalism and international relations at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, which he completed in Hebrew no differently to native language Israeli students, who were mostly 5 years older than him.Of the experience he said: "I have become a fan of Israel after living there, not that I started feeling myself a Jew, but I definitely started feeling an Israeli".
>Categories:1979 birthsLiving peopleRussian journalistsRussian male novelistsPeople from MoscowRussian people of Jewish descentHebrew University of Jerusalem alumniRT people

Should clarify that I believe this to be a general problem of contemporary cinema, obviously there are exceptions (Ferrara's New Rose Hotel would be one example which uses cinematic language in a radically reflexive way)
>How has the development of a cinematic language ceased?
Many directors either emulate theater (Bergman is the prime example of this, but Hitchcock is also somewhat guilty of this), literature (the prevalence of the long take in arthouse cinema - and now in mainstream cinema - see Tarkovsky and Tarr) or dumbs down the formal properties pioneered in early cinema (most films still ape the narrative structure of Potemkin, Kubrick's films are largely derivative of Griffith and Eisenstein without the complex understanding of montage theory e.t.c.)
>Further, how can you claim this stunted growth is due to the aping of other forms of art and yet praise Godard?
I draw a distinction between what Godard does which is 'learning' from other mediums and 'aping' other mediums, which I would consider to be the recreation of another medium's formal properties in cinema. Godard is principally influenced by the silent directors, look at his formal innovations in his revolutionary period to see how he's directly responding to what Eisenstein and Griffith were doing.

I accept that there is a strong syncretic element to filmmaking, but there are certain properties, such as editing, which are uniquely cinematic properties - or are at least best manifested in cinema. Many filmmakers outright reject these properties (see Tarkovsky's rejection of montage theory as a prime example of this).

Thank god. I still live in fear whenever a classic film thread is created.

Hopefully topped himself.

The moon landing was great though.

ah yes because rewiring my brain to be attuned to some french fuck with bankrupt aesthetic theories and bullshit ideas of cinema is a better way to spend my time

went down the cinema rabbit hole not too long ago. i think a lot of films suffer from the same issue that writers like nabokov or borges suffer from: they more easily convey ideas than they do something about how people act/think/speak/feel. Tarkovsky is like this, Bergman is like this, Id argue that a lot of “arthouse” shit from Eisenstein throuh Lynch suffers from this (inb4 pleb references). Tarr sure does; and even classics like Rohmer seem to. The only exceptions Ive found are the random moments in Ozu, Kurosawa, and Fellini that seem to make their whole films worth it. Unironically you will get more worthwhile emotion from watching a fucking Francis Ford Coppola movie than you will from any namedrop tier shit someone is going to recommend on here. “Cinematic language” is some of the most self-evident horseshit people take seriously in any art form ever. There’s just so much room for error in the medium.

A brighter summers day
All about Lily chou chou
The World
Uncle boonmee recalls his past lives
Rebels of a neon god
Farewell my concubine

Eastern cinema is where it’s at

>you will get more worthwhile emotion from watching a fucking Francis Ford Coppola movie than you will from Bergman
then why does FFC always jerk off Bergman like he's the best director that ever lived?

>Griffith
>Eisenstein
>Murnau
>Chaplin
>Keaton
>Renoir
>Hitchcock
>Powell
>Ford
>Welles
>Ozu
>Mizoguchi
>Dreyer
>Bunuel

That's all you need really

Why no love for Tarkovsky?

>no Eriksson

Almost everyone loves Tarkovsky, so you're not that cool for namedropping him anymore.

Film, as a medium, is defined by space (visual arts, sculpting, painting, etc) and time (like music). It has nothing to do with plot or 'story'.
One of the greatest travesties of the medium's history was when hollywood started gutting its potential with adapations of stage-plays.

Attached: k.jpg (900x900, 212K)

By that logic no medium of art should have a story

>reading for the plot
>watching for the plot
>listening for the plot

retard

same reason shakespeare jerked off ovid

name one other director that has managed to celebrate autism WITHOUT prettifying it
youtube.com/watch?v=uKUChOwam_M

It 'can' tell a story, but it shouldn't 'have' to and it should be done through the context of its medium, i.e. visually. The silent film masters understood this.

Attached: faust_1.jpg (1024x759, 160K)

>renoir
>welles
>ford
is all you need

Olafs like you and him need culling.

and dreyer and murnau

I don't see any names of directors

Lars Von Trier

danes aren't autistic it's just what danish sounds like

see

forgot Pudovkin and Lang

Nice moving of goalposts. It's not that they HAVE to have a story, but it's ridiculous to demand that they shouldn't, to see a narrative as a hindrance.

Film is, since The Jazz Singer (and even before it, if we consider the live accompaniment, benshis, and such), both a visual and aural medium. There is no reason why one of these two should be deliberately avoided as a method of storytelling. Besides, the "silent film masters" had to use intertitles all the time to communicate what's happening.

no not dreyer and certainly not murnau.
maybe cocteau.

>Can a film be as meaningful as a work of literature?
What a strangely worded question.

Hanneke's 'Funny Games'?

i second this notion

Yes Dreyer and certainly Murnau

Fuck them more likely.

Is it what got him so much flak ? As a Jew I don't find that offensive, only awkward and weird in a funny way. Guy is clearly a mix of an oddball and a provocateur.

Your mum is known to have connected with many monkeys but that's okay user.

Yes

>tfw monomaniacal underachieving non-israeli jew

Why can't I control the western world ? It's unfair.

I don't know why I find this meme funnier every time it's posted. Something about the insistent repetition for a deliberately inane purpose.

Keep the good work jewish ancestry wikipedia poster.

Those kind of pronunciations on an entire art always strike me as arrogant. Like bitch nigga ass, do you really think the theory of art you made at most 20 years to elaborate will capture the entire possibilities of an artform that wouldn't be entirely explored after a century of culture ? Like fuck off ass nigga bitch.

(also film was deeply entangled with philosophy since its inception, it's basically the only major art in that case)

Can someone explain the major differences and uses for
>Literature
>Movies
and
>Video games

I know they all have strengths but if someone could write a well written response I'd enjoy it.

Attached: 1537296495049.jpg (961x1600, 403K)

You're basically exchanging a poor aesthetic theory and horrible ideas of cinema for a less poor aesthetic theory and less horrible ideas of cinema so yeah.

that's funny, the first thing that came to mind when i saw that image was the assault on the hill in the thin red line

Books r gay

That's one of the most explicitly freudian and at the same time heartrending thing I've ever seen.

Rutracker has everything

>can someone provide a massively complex aesthetic theory in a Yea Forums post pls

lmao

wrong

Gladiator. Actually scratch that it isnt as meaningful as a gay ass book. It is the most meaningful work of art in the history of the universe.

wrong

Le Sang d'un poète
Le Testament d'Orphée
Au hasard Balthazar
Teorema
Porcile
Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma
L'Hypothèse du tableau volé
Roberte

>Au hasard Balthazar
oh wow they baptized the donkey wow the symbolism. oh wow see the crown she built him? oh wow. are you kidding me? people are mean to the donkey?! wtf, wow. oh wow what a powerful movie brought a tear to my eye like ol' yeller wow

Anti-narrative cinema (Slow Cinema) is the next evolution of cinema as an artistic pursuit and Bresson is the founding father of it. I won't say a movie being "slow" inherently gives it more artistic integrity than other movies; there is definitely an element of "difficult = worthwhile" in the international acceptance of slow cinema, but it's also a trend that attracts great artists and uses cinema in an exciting and inventive way that separates it from other artistic mediums. "Boring" and "pretentious" are not valid criticisms of art. They are valid criticisms of entertainment, but none of these movies ever suggest that they exist to entertain. These days I find myself easily able to consume meandering 4+ hour movies without exhaustion specifically because I'm relieved of the anxiety of caring what happens next.
I recommend watching An Elephant Sitting Still - the first and only film by Hu Bo, released in 2018.

12 Angry Men certainly rivals some of the greats in lit. Pleb opinion, but it's my favorite movie.

*tips m'lady

Do people like the movie synecdoche new york?

I liked it, but it also made me angry

I think Kaufman is one of the best screenwriters working in Hollywood

>American movies
no thanks

Fellini

Sans Soleil

it's just a not-very-good copy of f for fake

Now this is a movie I unironically think is overrated; Chris Marker in general makes the kind of beautiful, vacant art that is poisonous to the field. His movies let people sit and turn their brains off while believing their brains are on and absorbing the beauty of life through osmosis.

>how do you reconcile that with poems with 14 lines that are much better than war and peace

Are you saying there are poems with 14 lines that are better than W&P? What poems?

Rutracker barely has some obscure movies and they have 0 seeders.

Or any other Tarkovsky film.

Attached: andrei-rublev.jpg (1000x563, 111K)

This is the movie I enjoyed the least out of all of tarkovsky, only scene that stands out to me is the crafting of the bell.

Quite difficult to compare mediums in this way but one aspect is level of engagement.

Of the three, literature requires the most participation and active mental engagement. The tactile sensation of page-turning and running your eyes along the lines creates an intimate personal relationship with the material. Reading is a raw, vivid experience.

Film is a more passive medium. A film is a designed hauntological journey. The film guides your emotions, it washes over you, and you choose your level of engagement. For more info on this I refer you to the books "Sculpting in Time" by Tarkovsky (easy read) and Deleuze's "Cinema" (two parts, harder read).

Video games are the most passive of the three and require the least intellectual work. While you are technically engaged, all of your attention is focused into a narrow band.

Yeah it's a hard watch. So is The Mirror in my opinion.

true
also the Sacrifice was bad prove me wrong

>ctrl+f herzog
>phrase not found
Plebeian.

Attached: 1549004441834.jpg (290x324, 23K)

I've never had any problems
I'm on kg and ptp and I still manage to find plenty of the same stuff on rutracker

Roy Andersson is underappreciated

Attached: roy-andersson.jpg (621x348, 195K)

I really enjoyed Eureka even though several of the actors were mediocre and the pacing a bit slow at 3,5 hours, something about the tone and atmosphere just resonated with me.

Attached: 1495319281_eureka1.jpg (640x267, 41K)

Can't be proven wrong because it's true
He really jumped the gun with that one

if you want some pure abstraction watch this movie andyoutube.com/watch?v=KFExn_DnRv4

can you give me the names of the movies? I don't recognize any of them and they all look great

You are clearly not familiar with the kind of power Hegelian magic grants.

Where is this from, I want to see it

Tarkovsky
Danelia
Ryazanov

>Powell and Pressburger
Marry me

Attached: Black Narcissus.jpg (1600x1263, 608K)

Define obscure and show me where you get them with seeders.

see

My Dinner with Andrea

>google Marketa Lazarova
>first link is IMDB page on film
>Immediate spoiler there
Fuck you burger internet retards!

Use 7tor. There's always seeders on even the most obscure shit

Books to understand how god died?

Attached: gore book.jpg (4320x3240, 2.8M)

Caring about "spoilers" is the most burger thing here

No.

Attached: best girl with all the watermelon.jpg (399x399, 38K)

Is there any way I can get archived version of /r/megalinks posts? Looks like they've been taken down but presumably the links still work so if I could get them then it would be fine

only the literary mind can help films out of the blind alley into which they have been driven by technicians and artificers.
a real film is a narrative - it's a story.

films are (left to right) the illumination, the wind will carry us, landscape in the mist, adelheid, shadows of our forgotten ancestors, diary of a country priest, don't know those 2, germany year zero hope you enjoy SAVAGE BOREDOM

Wouldnt video games be the least passive, you have to interact and have skill to progress

Whether or not you need to have skill to progress entirely depends on the game. You don't have to have any skills to dominate Skyrim for example

yeah you do my dad couldn't kill the hagraven

you need to give a film the same attention you would a book. a welles film for example has to be watched with close attention or half the beauty of it gets missed. you have to meet it half way.

Literature=Music>Films>>>anything else

you uneducated types

Attached: picasso le rêve.jpg (807x1088, 396K)

can you get me a kg invite pls I'll suck your cock

Self-absorbed and dreary. A dull reflection of 8 1/2. What Fellini achieves grinning wryly all the way , Kaufman copies with a stomach ache and bout of acid reflux.

Attached: 23DF7ECC-535D-4306-A986-CC8C889CA893.jpg (1203x876, 931K)

>Finnegan's Wake

well put

Can you give me recs on how to get into visual art? I love Goya, Van Gogh, expressionism, pointillism and Romantic art. There are also a lot of paintings I like that are associated with other things I like, like pic related, the one from the cover of Stoner and a watercolour of Shadow of the Colossus

Attached: mw03533.jpg (561x800, 126K)

herzog is a hack fuck off

If Shadow of the Colossus is the closest game to a great work of cinema in the 'every frame a painting' sense, what's the most literary game?
I don't play vidya like I used to and have trouble finding time but I have just started Silent Hill 2, one of the few games I still really want to play (others being Hollow Knight, Thief II and Pathologic). I also picked up Hotline Miami again for a bit after I stopped early in years ago and I genuinely think Pynchon would love it, with the fantastic psychedelic over the top violence 80s aesthetic.
Some games that make me feel something beyond just enjoyment at how perfectly they're designed, like Super Metroid, RE4 and Symphony of the Night.

>music is art
pleb opinion desu

Attached: tumblr_o2rprgGBNB1tmzk01o1_500.png (500x313, 208K)

The only game I've ever played that I thought represented video games as an artform and not just artistic visually or musically was The Beginner's Guide - by the game who made Stanley Parable. It is, unfortunately, narrated by the developer so a nasally white guy so immediately everyone assumed it was pretentious "white guy does art" crap like Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy. But it's not - it really is a sensitive and deft exploration of humanity.
SotC, in my opinion, has incredible visuals and sound design, but the video game itself isn't part of a cohesive package that elevates it as "video games as art".

That would be Hitchcock

If there is one way to signal to others that you're a pseud, it's acting as if plot is wholly unimportant to the enjoyment of a movie/book. How insecure does someone have to be to trick themselves into thinking that plots are something........other than plots. "Oh its about the cinematography." "Its about the prose and language". Fuck right off you unironically retarded user. Plot/story matters as much as any other aspect to things like film (and by extension, literature).

goya and van gogh are fantastic.
look at velazquez. el greco as well (the burial of the count of orgaz) who they say inspired van gogh. and you will like rembrandt (everyone does).
also you may like
delacroix
ingres
lautrec
manet
picasso
matisse

Attached: delacroix liberty leading the people.jpg (3133x2480, 1.65M)

The problem isn't plot, it's people who can only read/watch for the plot

Don’t get me started on Sorrentino. ;^>

Attached: 1551651426496.gif (367x219, 523K)

go on mate

The best movies are the ones without plots because they're not trying to trick anyone into watching them

Attached: Capture22.png (1152x339, 987K)

the best girls are the ugly ones bc they're not trying to trick anyone into sleeping with them

unironically based

Herzog is fantastic, lad. What are you on about?
>the moment in Little Dieter Wants to Fly when Dieter’s describing how alien dropping napalm from the air felt, over stock footage of Vietnam that you’ve seen before but all of a sudden, the footage your seeing DOES seem otherworldly and unreal - far from familiar or sensible. The explosions and the smoke amongst the trees like fractals - just empty geometric shapes.
>The entirety of Cave of Forgotten dreams - what would doubtless be overwhelming in person becomes all the more intense with Reijseger’s haunting score - 30,000 years old, but stunningly immediate and moving nevertheless
>The opening of Lo and Behold, pinpointing and presenting the paradigm shifting moment when the internet was birthed
>the SHEER POWER of volcanoes - the absolutely mesmerising montage of pyroclastic flows and magma when he’s talking about the Kraffts.

Herzog consistently throughout his oeuvre has managed to craft these small, sublime moments. Teeny, little glimpses beyond the pall of the mundane, all drawn from real life.

Attached: FA63F62D-4AE9-4C57-AC11-05E3FE80E2A2.png (771x807, 1M)

eh?

I didn't say that the plot is unimportant. Just that spoilers are a gay irrelevant concept. A good work of art will not be harmed by a spoiler, because its quality lies in its many aspects and details instead of a single point in the narrative that can be retold in one sentence.
Hamlet dies
Don Quijote dies
Anna Karenina khs
And who the fuck cares? You haven't read the books, you don't know how they'll die, what caused that, what it means as a message, etc. In fact, spoilers might even improve reading and viewing, since instead of blindly wondering what will happen next, you can pay attention to what is happening at the moment and consider how it will lead to the character's fate.
From personal experience, nearly all of my favourite books were spoiled to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=FED1zl5p-kA

Attached: realization insight.jpg (800x363, 23K)

Attached: calvary.jpg (500x500, 40K)

I can’t speak to his early work, but his output this decade has been a shameless, hamfisted and, worst of all, blatant imitation of Fellini’s greatest pieces. The Great Beauty is La Dolce Vita sans the cinema celebrity glitz, whilst Youth takes 8 1/2’s themes and spa setting. The Young Pope is an expansion on Fellini’s irreverence regarding the Church.
Sorrentino has the same affection for dream sequences, but his imagery lacks the vitality and surreal dream logic present in Fellini. In addition, a preoccupation with Jung and dream analysis was avant garde in the 60s but 50 years later, it’s trite and tired unless done properly.
Finally, Sorrentino’s cinematography is flat and artificial. Often his camera movement is unmotivated so it feels choreographed and unnatural whilst Fellini’s fast, frenetic is literally kino. For the cherry on top, the dialogue he writes is often expository and wooden.

I met a woman who had (iirc) a small speaking part in Youth, though, and she said he was brilliant to work with - but what the fuck do actors know?

Attached: 07F34376-947C-4F0A-BBCB-318510DB690F.jpg (540x720, 54K)

Very good movie

interesting, but your opinion implies that you are in fact a massive faggot

They misspelled cavalry.

Pic related is unironically my favorite movie of all time. Am I a pleb?

Attached: EoE.jpg (550x309, 40K)

sorry I don't have any invs anymore, they made the whole process more strict after some trouble a couple years ago

Diary of a Country Priest affected me the most, but A Man Escaped (aka: The Wind Bloweth Where it Listeth) and Pickpocket are both less ambiguous films than Au Hasard Balthasar and Mouchette, while retaining his deeper concepts, which I think can be appreciated by anyone

>Paths of Glory was probably his best film
informed opinion over here - I agree completely

was Au Hasard Balthasar supposed to be ambiguous? it seemed rather insistent

I can imagine someone incapable of deciphering Bresson's symbolism (or never having approached a film in that way before) finding it a very ambiguous film.
but considering how so much of that film's meaning is implicit, I can't really agree; but if you readily "got it," then I won't fight against your appraisal

Can't really say, I don't like comparing mediums with each other. Film can be meaningful though.
Check out:
>Wojciech Has, Sergei Parajanov, Yimou Zhang, Andrei Tarkovsky, Lucile Hadzihalilovic, Ingmar Bergman, Konstantin Lopushanskiy, Piotr Szulkin, Krzysztof Kieslowski, Aleksandr Sokurov, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Kenji Mizoguchi, Nikos Koundouros, Louis Malle, D.W. Griffith, Tengiz Abuladze, Yong-Kyun Bae, Hiroshi Teshigahara, Chang-dong Lee, George Sluizer, John Cassavetes, Andrzej Zulawski, Abbas Kiarostami,
There are so many more directors with stellar films in their repertoire that naming them would take forever, if you're interested in film in general, read the synopsis, if it interests you, go for it.

Attached: mos.jpg (5025x4500, 2.93M)

I understand you're jesting, but Hegel was proved wrong or ignored important trend during his own lifetime.

I saw Diary of a country priest about two years ago and I was a bit disappointed. Probably because I had just stormed through the book and I was so restless and shaken I needed to revisit it (if I hadn't found the movie online I would have straight-up reread the book on the spot).

I probably need to rewatch it with a fresh eye.

What would you say was most affecting about that movie ?

As meanginful as the best books? No. But some are touching/good. I like some of Peckinpah’s films (knew one of his relatives actually) and things like Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, Ladybird, Pan’s Labyrinth etc. Widely liked films like that are at least worth your time when you’re bored. I’m pretty sure you could easily watch almost all good movies in only a decade too.

No

The two films have entirely different meanings.

yo shit nigga we both got 666 what does it meAN

this might be closer to a personal than an aesthetic judgment, but what I consider the emotional climax of the film, where the priest induces the lady of the manor to stop blaming god for her child's death and succeeds - it feels like the closest thing I've discovered in flim to capturing in an embodied way the phenomenon of what it feels like to have a major epiphany in my own life.

whenever I watch it I'm reminded of the most pivotal moments in my life, and I feel I've been brought into direct contact with that part of myself capable of being inspired, and usually some sort of personal revelation comes to me - as though watching the film primes me for that sort of experience.

I have my own aesthetic judgements about the film, and this isn't everything I love about it; but if I'm to be completely honest, I watch it because it reawakens a vital part of myself that helps me to live my life.

I haven't read the book, but if my prior experiences are any guide, it's probably even better than the film. considering you had already been so powerfully affected by the book, it's easy to see how even a virtuosic film adaptation of it would not have affected you as strongly. in some way, you had already had the experience it offered. also, you may have been comparing it with the book in your mind, watching for the seams, omissions, and alterations that would have been obvious to one who'd just read it. it might have taken you out of the experience.

>in fact, spoilers might even improve reading and viewing, since instead of blindly wondering what will happen next, you can pay attention to what is happening at the moment and consider how it will lead to the character's fate.
Spoilers are not analogous to rereading/rewatching, in which everything is 'spoiled'. Instead they distract you (me) by making you wonder if this is the bit where the spoiled event happens, noting that yeah here it is, make you connect events previous to the spoiled bit because it's the only later event you know (unlike a reread where you can connect it to the later events that are the most relevant), etc.
And yes, pretending that the excitement of finding out what happens next isn't *one* of the pleasures of literature is indeed pseud.

>There are so many more directors with stellar films in their repertoire
there's a handful

>read the synopsis, if it interests you, go for it.
not very good advice. no one would watch double life of veronique.

>Tsai Ming Liang
>Edward Young
>Hou Hsiao-hsien
>Kim Ki Duk
>Lee Chan-dong
>K. Kurosawa
>Fruit Chan
>Tsukamoto
>Miike
>Nakashima
>WKW
>Sion Sono
>Bi Gan
>Hirokazu Koreda
>Sogo Ishii
>Oshii
>Godhead Takeshi Kitano
>Johnnie To
>Otomo

Attached: 230.jpg (650x941, 211K)

this movie was better than the book

Attached: mc.jpg (620x430, 54K)

This thread reads like a Cahiers du Cinema issue, parroting the same directors over and over again.

Disliking Kubrick is pseud deluxe

>everyone always brings up IMDb or Letterboxd for recommendations
>no one ever mentions the superior Mubi

:(

The spoiled part is nearly always the ending, which you'll expect, you know, at the end of the book, so what you describe there won't happen in 95% of the cases.
>pretending that the excitement of finding out what happens next isn't *one* of the pleasures of literature is indeed pseud
A spoiler relates only to a small part of the story. Saying that Don Quijote goes mad and imagines he's a knight spoils much more of the book than saying that he dies. But knowledge of either of these two things cannot impede your enjoyment of the episode to episode storytelling, moods, characters and ideas of the novel. I could go as far as saying that in X chapter DQ delivers a great speech on the concept and value of knighthood and soldiers, and that still wouldn't affect your enjoyment of it, except positively, by making you more attentive and sensitive to the speech once you come across it. Discovery of the new is certainly what propels everyone's reading, but that *new* in a work of art doesn't only manifest in new events shown by it, but also in ideas, meaning and techniques used by the artist.

>killed for exposing jewish sex rings

No, the dude was like 70 and ate his fat ass to death Marlon Brando style.

>*one* of the pleasures
>*one*
>*new* in a work of art doesn't only manifest in new events shown by it
>doesn't only
wow ur smart how will I go on living knowing that I'm going to die without ever having your cock in my mouth in a non-figurative manner

fuck only replied to one of the posts *hits head and chastises own dumb-dumbness* of only I was smart like

Nier Automata poses some interesting questions.

Second this. I am saving my biggest nut for when Criterion Channel launches properly.

Red Desert. I thought such a feeling couldn't be expressed.

Literally anything by Ingmar Bergman, homie

How can I find recommendations for specific movies? I want to dwelve into old school cinema, but I don't know where to look.
I watched Wild Strawberries yesterday.

Start with the Lumières. ;^>

Yes
youtube.com/watch?v=cGYZ5847FiI

Did Bresson gradually lose his faith and does L'Argent reflect a state of spiritual despair?

Attached: 2136588_orig.jpg (787x476, 22K)

W.S. is unironically based though.

Still going strong on letterboxd.

Find a book on the history of film, or a list of great and important movies (like "1001 movies to see before you die", or something similar and better).

Well I just watched Pickpocket. It was good but horribly "made" story-wise. It's basically a French version of C&P

Watch Sawdust and Tinsel.

Then Smiles of a Summer Night.

Then The Seventh Seal.

I prefer each of those to Wild Strawberries, fwiw.

The Devil's Eye is not in the same league with the above, but it's fun and has some amazing moments.

Attached: img_4059.jpg (300x225, 15K)

it's possible for someone to be both entry level and good, you pretentious fool.

>he was a good director
>but he's sort of the definition of entry level cinema
what grade level do you read at user?

Based and chinkpilled

How are RYM and Letterboxd for finding films?

Outside of the context of anime I'd probably call EoE a cult arthouse film in the same way as Angel's Egg, Mind Game and Perfect Blue

Kubrick more like my dick

Shakespeare is taught as entry level theater and yet, it is the best ever written.

Kubrick is not Shakespeare

The chart feature is very useful to discover films by year or genre

rateyourmusic.com/films/chart

since this is a film thread on Yea Forums I might as well say that I watched La Commune (1871) by Peter Watkins and it was amazing

I did and regretted it

The long version of Time of the Gypsies
A Brighter Summer Day
The Sorrow and the Pity
The Apu Trilogy
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels

whatever else you should like

EoE

I think we've had enough name drops of great films, let's end the thread by posting Yea Forums films.
youtube.com/watch?v=BATPzXjmV_s

>Stand back buckos

Ashes and snow
Baraka
Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance
Powaqqatsi: Life in Transformation
Naqoyqatsi: Life as War
Samsara
Stalker
Solaris
Barry Lyndon
The sound of music.
Days of Heaven
Original Fantasia

Koyaanisqatsi isn't a good example of a film that resembles literature. It's all just visual shit strung together very rapidly, practically in a blur. OP is looking for films like those of Edward Yang and Ingmar Bergman.
As a matter of fact, I have a feeling that this entire post I'm replying to was highbrow trolling

>Witcher 3
bait

Sorry, but how is the long take literary? And what about avant garde cinema? Is that not more wholly cinematic than the pioneers?

Zack. Is that you

>Tarkovsky
Overrated passive cinema.

I may be in the minority here that actually finds the movie of No Country for Old Men to be really meaningful and about on par with the book.

Star Wars the Last Jedi is a deconstructionist masterpiece

utterly embarrassing

a film is a dream, by that I mean the succession of real events that follow on from one another with a dreamer’s baseless conviction, a way in which you wouldn’t have imagined it for yourself, but experience in your seats as you might experience, in your beds, strange adventures for which you aren’t responsible. to weigh it down with thought or attempt to be poetic is to lose it. the poetic is not poetry. it's even possible that they're opposites. poetry is a product of the unconscious mind. the poetic is conscious. and lots of the poetic things (that's tarkovsky old boy) contain not the slightest poetry.

Very nice answer. This is I think what Bernanos what aiming for in part in the book.

>it's easy to see how even a virtuosic film adaptation of it would not have affected you as strongly. in some way, you had already had the experience it offered

This is probably it. I was essentially breathing the book for entire days afterwards, it became an obsession.

> I watch it because it reawakens a vital part of myself that helps me to live my life.

That really makes me want to rewatch it, I desperately need that kind of experiences right now.

Thanks for your thoughtful and earnest answer, it's much too rare here and elsewhere.

I hope you continue being inspired.

Liking Kubrick is as entry-tier as hating him. True patricians respect his contributions to cinema, while preferring other filmmakers of his era

Are there jewish sex rings though ? Cause I'm Jewish and I'd like to apply. Tinder sucks.

thank you for the movies my dear sir

orson welles preferred kubrick to the others of his era (and the one immediately preceding it)

Evangelion is literally just Gravity's Rainbow and that book is pretty good

boah hard to say. inquire the methods that the picture provides you with and not the staffage or play afront it. dont know how to say that properly in english tho.

If you inquire the meethod of materials, contours historical context the meaning of the imagery will have its proper catalysator in your eyes since you learn alot more about yourself inquiring pictures.
And then get a clue of art history. Theres introductions that are super easy to read if youre more of the informal type of person. And theres also cosmoses within their own ouivre or w/e
each.

are you sure el greco inspired van gogh? And why? I thought the reevaluation and rediscovery of el greco were after vg died. maybe im wrong.

Van gogh defenitely got a whole lot from frans hals and rembrandt as theyre basically national treasury. dont know how the others connect up to it tho. idk.

Ensor
picabia
kitaj

Fellini's 8½

Shut the fuck up, pseud

If no one watches your movies they're not very relevant, are they? Kubrick reaches out to everyone but only a select few will understand what is actually going on

Andrei Rublev is better

yeah but to be fair that's rare

>what's the most literary game?

Before the 12 year olds took over, the average round of Sub Rosa was like something out of a Mario Puzo novel.

Conte d'Eté, Eric Rohmer
Ma nuit chez Maud
etc.

the US is completely formatted and sees anything different as "weird", underlining a true lack of vocabulary and outlook on life.

The Sacrifice is better

based

why isnt the movie board full of this level of film appreciation and discussion, it's really bad over there

& the most well-read people are on Yea Forums

Because there isn't the elitism against capeshit over there that there is towards Harry Potter over here

except everyone has horrid taste. it's all tarkovsky & bergman & tarr

>muh plot
>muh main characters
>muh garbage modern editing with cutting ever 1.5 seconds
>muh shitty over used hollywood tropes

these are common responses from the zoomer who doesn't understand artistic beauty and completely misses film making at it's finest.

Lurk more before you post.