Recent purchases thread

I’ll start

Attached: BF153EE4-F317-45E4-93AC-4C36E3F781DC.jpg (3752x2816, 1.57M)

Attached: recentpurchases.jpg (1500x844, 214K)

Just bought Tess of D'urbervilles. What am i in for?

>not reading fiction exclusively

Attached: bAeEznLE.jpg (190x266, 9K)

Honestly it sounds bad

Attached: DSC_0547.jpg (2405x2135, 1.07M)

Book Six of Alhazen’s Optics

>not pearl

Fucking lame sister.

You are a forever alone girl, I have real pearl and gold on bitch. Where’s my Kafka

cash me outside i got pearl and silver for days dummy

Attached: mern.jpg (500x333, 19K)

bump for joy, bump for goys

Shit I got from the past 2 months

Attached: 15515871386094533730548901411046.jpg (4032x3024, 3.92M)

meme tier

pewdiepie?

I mean, I enjoyed reading them.

kinda of meme tier but whatever.(I was shocked to discover these books were so short** I mean even after I looked at the page counts before I bought them I thought they were going to be so much more intimidating)

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 1.9M)

What do you mean?

Lot of The Trial in this thread, just finished that so I will omit.

Am falling for the Dosto meme now.

Attached: 20190302_235123.jpg (4032x3024, 3.34M)

Got way too many books over the last 2-3 days. But hely, most of them were free!
Got for free
>Six volumes from the Collected Works of Frigyes Karinthy
>Kosztolányi’s Édes Anna
>Selected works of Ferenc Kazinczy
>Literature of the Hungarian Middle Ages

Bought:
>Dostoevsky - Demons
>Sergey Prokofiev - Autobiography [Childhood, student years]
>Attila Sáfrány - The spirit of Dostoevsky
>Hamlet

I know I should be reading Hamlet in English, and I do have an English copy, but I just wanted to see what a modern and esteemed translator does with the work. It’s a pretty nice edition with plenty of note and quotes from the English original.

I still have Crime and Punishment waiting to be picked up, they just haven’t delivered it yet. I’ve read a library copy and it was really good.

Demons seems to be a good read so far, and I had fun with the Karinthy short stories too.

Attached: C50CC318-C9C6-4195-A100-12F6BFF55899.jpg (2048x1601, 859K)

There's nothing at all wrong with reading Shakespeare in your own language. I hope you enjoy it.

Dump that copy of PL and get the Norton Critical version instead.

Whats up with sudden rise of Dostoevsky? Isnt he entry level?

The Complete Works of Tao Lin (Penguin Classics, 2019)

Still a comfy read.

>rise

Dosto has always been popular with people here, especially those getting into literature because of Yea Forums

But does he hold up with people who're on advanced or expert level?

No such thing you autistic fuck.
You’d know it if you actually read.
Dostoevsky might be well known but that doesn’t mean he is simple or “entry level” as a meme spouting twat like you would put it.
To Hell with you! Kill yourself!

preach it sis!

Do you think that popular = bad doesnt apply to Yea Forums?

Hell no. Most everything posted here is popular.

Half-wit writing kek
Nb
t. New to lit and fell for the meme
At least you acknowledge it whereas above thinks he's based kek
Memed
Shakespeare, nice, all the cucks on this board rather fal for a meme than a good reem

Why don't you tell us when you get there in a decade you irritating zoomer faggot

Based mass replying autist

Dostoevsky is worthwhile at every tier of reading and you’re a pseud

Bump

This is a blue board so I can’t post your mom’s vagina

Attached: 34423294-78F8-4F55-9679-67DCF3BAC94B.jpg (334x506, 42K)

>Alexander Pope - Major Works
>Friedrich Holderlin - Hyperion and Selected Poems
>Nabokov - Ada, or Ardor
phone has shitty camera, cannot poast

Solid purchases, although you should've grabbed either David McDuff's translation or P&V's translation of Crime and Punishment. If I'm not mistaken, the B&N edition of Crime and Punishment is a revision of Constance Garnett's translation, and Garnett is very divisive. She was a talented writer, but she ignored Dostoevsky's style and replaced it with her own Victorian English style.

Nobody said anything about how op has three copies of basically the same thing
is that just normal for you people

Jordan Peterson probably. Dostoyevsky is pretty entry level but Peterson has about five or six of his books on his top ten list.

Dostoevsky's work is among some of the best literature ever written. It has an ability to touch the soul and pierce into the human condition like nothing else.

It's also going to be fetishized by a bunch of retards who want to reconcile classical liberalism with Christianity b/c muh jorden Peterson.

Nice buys, I do recommend the P&V translations of TBK as well. It's the red and white one.

Attached: IMG_20190303_200449475.jpg (3264x2448, 1.59M)

>make it stick
If you haven't bought it yet, get How to Study for College, 11th ed. it is useful for general purposes too, best one so far on the topic of memory etc.

Attached: FD298698-3918-4E38-9AA7-D0FADDC7D35C.png (750x1334, 538K)

>capeshit
back to

No you senpai

why the fuck would you want to own the prose edda u can read that shit in 20 mins

>prokofiev
based

First and last purchase

Attached: IMG_20190304_132227.jpg (4000x2250, 2.69M)

Attached: 1500136539825.png (1280x720, 1.52M)

Neato, I got this recently myself.

Attached: 20190304_025245.jpg (4032x3024, 2.51M)

Attached: IMG_20190215_120031.jpg (3120x4160, 3.3M)

lolita lmao

you've been memed sir

The Collector-John Fowles
Rashomon and seventeen Other Short Stories-Akutagawa

So why did you buy two books which contain the same body of work lmao? And wouldn’t those two also include Paradise Lost since that is a poem as well?

Attached: IMG_20190212_120917.jpg (2993x3849, 3.43M)

>prokofiev
elaborate on that book please. big fan of the man's music.

this

Attached: I sold my phone.jpg (324x499, 26K)

I read it years ago and I barely remember it. I was probably too young/immature to enjoy it.

All I remember is the rants about the elephant and that conversatives value faith the same way liberals value any of their core beliefs.

What was the conclusion even? That "brains are different so we value different things" and "you can't just change because the elephant is your nature and even though you can guide it's slightly as the rider, the elephant is in charge"?

Attached: warcraft peon.jpg (480x360, 24K)

>>reddit.com

desu? didn't read lol. I've got to page 100ish and putted it back in the shelve cause I'm at a cramming school now so I can apply for a good college

about what I read tho, the elephant is in "charge", although the rider CAN influence it

I don’t know where to ask, I am currently debating on wether to buy the physical copies of the books in my shopping cart or a kindle with the same books (for the same price)

Is the kindle a meme or is it actually good? I do enjoy the new book smell and being able to share them with other people

Do you makes notes in your books? And are these books fiction or non-fiction?

(((Katz)))

I don’t do annotations, I keep those in a separate journal
Most of my books are either philosophy or science fiction, even some occasional novel
(Last purchase was the Odyssey, Letters from Seneca and At the mountains of madness as a reference)

(((Jonathan Haidt)))

The two Italian books on the left are "Revolutionary Fascism", a history of left fascism in Italy, and Le Bonhomme Lenine, Malaparte's attempt to write an intellectual history of Lenin and his revolution as petit bourgeois

Attached: IMG_20190304_180456.jpg (3264x1840, 1.31M)

In 1937 he sat down to write his memoires. He never finished them properly, but he did manage to write about 7-800 pages of it, mainly consisting of notes, diaries and letters from his childhood and student years under Rimsky-Korsakov at the Petersburg conservatory.
It's written like a novel somewhat with lots of dialogue and plenty of reminiscences

This was his second attempt at writing his monumental memoires, the first one was a lot shorter but it did cover most of his life up until the 30s.

>big fan of the man's music.
That's good to hear, I'm more of a Shostakovich guy myself.
If I were to like Prokofiev's music, this would be my holy grail basically.

great man, I have always wanted to read about prokofiev, I think the man was truly a genius. I like shostakovich too but considering prokofiev's exceptional ability to play the piano allowed him to compose stuff that's unmatched kind of makes him more special to me. his second piano concerto and toccata could be examples to that.

but, I couldn't find the book in english or with another title and I don't speak hungarian so it seems like a challenge to find a copy...

everyone should read Meditations when they're as young as possible - it's a wonderful introduction to Stoic thought, but easy to read because of its colloquial style.
in hindsight, my habit of writing notes and essays probably were inspired by his sincere attempts at self-analysis and correction.
I encountered Montaigne, La Rochefoucauld, Lichtenberg, and Nietzsche much later. I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend other authors who focus on the aphorism and essay in that tradition.