DUBLIN

hey guys im going to Dublin for several days in two weeks, do you have any tips for good bookshops and interesting secondhand shops?
any tips welcome

Attached: dublin.jpg (1600x600, 357K)

Chapters bookstore is the best second hand book shop in town hands down

a tip I can give is to not pay for the LUAS, all you have to do is avoid ticket inspectors in obvious orange high vis jackets to save a few euro

thank you user i will look into it

Chapters.
Books Upstairs.
Connolly Books if you're into Irish history/politics

ill have a few days so i will check all of them most likely, thanks for the tips mon

books upstairs is overpriced shite

also they have an "lgbtq" section, absolutely disgusting

so chapters is the way to go and the only one worth it pretty much?

don't mind this guy, his triggering shouldn't keep you from the fact that Books Upstairs has a decent poetry section, as well as a pleasant upstairs cafe dedicated to quietly reading with your literary gf

there's a profusion of charity shops all around the city center with small selections of mostly shite but occasionally some good stuff and there's real quality bookstores like hodges & figgis but none of it is second hand cheap

you could spend a good many hours looking through the second hand floor at chapters though

>literary café
yoikes
pretentious bollocks, the place is staffed by fat amerishart women too who were braying at each other when I walked in last

Attached: 1546559456787.png (645x773, 11K)

thanks man appreciate it

Hodges Figgis is the best, Joyce even mentioned it in Ulysses.
Chapters is good for second-hand stuff and whatever Hodges Figgis doesn't have.
Books Upstairs is alright but only paperbacks.
Ulysses Rare Books is incredible and definitely worth checking out.
Random charity shops have some good stuff for cheap. I got speak, memory for 1 euro once.
Rest are shit. Selection is generally not great, nowhere sells A Vision for example.

hey man thats perfect, thanks a lot

Attached: thumbsupm8.jpg (478x600, 76K)

wow. i never really expected many people from this board to reside in dublin. perhaps we should schedule a meetup of sorts sometime, yes, in chapters. anyone up for it?:-)

was there today. they have a small section dedicated to books on feminism and female liberation in history. amazing.

Meetup sounds grand.

>also they have an "lgbtq" section, absolutely disgusting
can't you leave a note of complaint? that's definitely disgusting.

Dublin sucks.

God no.
this

Live an hour and a bit away, would rather Belfast considering I'm between the two, I don't fancy city's but they usually have more niche shops

the absolute state of dublin. Asides from it’s architecture it is indistinguishable from any other ‘modern’ EU city.

The only shops are chain stores that can be found throughout any location in Europe. There is nothing unique about dublin.

Their culture is that they once had a culture, and are now selling this dead giant en masse to plastic paddies around the globe.

You can sit across from the LGBTQ section of the bookshop while sipping a flat white, or you can experience some actual Irish culture elsewhere. Just go to County Wicklow or County Mayo. The only places in Ireland that feel like a genuine irish experience. They have bookshops there too.

unironically this, dublin is a kip

Newry?

Yeah, very comfy in terms of location because I'm right next to two major cities. Must say, very strange hearing my town said by name on here, must anons are yanks that only know dublin, Belfast and cork

Dublin reminded me of Leeds

Requesting the Joyce fanboys experience in Dublin pasta

Oxfam bookshop on Parliament street is good, but those buggers check Abebooks and price everything a bit too highly.
There's also the Secret Bookshop or whatever it's called in a concealed entry on Wicklow Street.
The Winding Stair on the quays for an experience of sorts.
Naughtons in Dun Laoghaire is closed for renovations according to their website which is a shame as it's not far from the Joycean Martello Tower and has some good hard-to-find books in there.

also be sure to visit the Yeats exhibition at the national library, it's very good. Chester Beatty Library is also a must-visit.
The print museum is worth a visit too if you've time.

Ya I live out close to Rostrevor

Dublin has never had much of a literary scene.

>t. joker

You should visit that tower from the beginning of Ulysses