How do you really know something? Truly?

How do you really know something? Truly?

Not "Start With The Greeks".

Just say it. I dare you.

Cheers.

Attached: 1.jpg (1270x1030, 404K)

You memorise it. If you what to know a text well, you should memorise every sentence.

That isn't what I am talking about. I am talking about literal truth.

You can explain it in a multitude of ways to avoid confusion with your ambiguous phrasings.

You start with the Sumerians.

>hurr how can you prove anything to be the objective actual truth
you can't you humongous retard. You literally can't prove anything other than that your consciousness must exist, that's it. Are you satisfied?

Eliot described even aesthetic verse as a revelation of fact in his essays. This is literary "truth". My question is, how do you truly know? What if you have deceived yourself?

So why bother reading?

i think you are wrong

i read to know, even if that knowing is irrationally aesthetic

What the fuck are you even trying to achieve here you 14yo little shit? Read if you want, don't read if you don't want, you're neither clever nor original with your retarded rambling

Why would someone read if the revelation of a genuine aesthetic experience isn't occurring for them? that doesn't make sense

I wish I was still in high school too

this, but un-ironically.

You can't. You can only create approximations of reality in your mind and work on them until they are in line with the things that happen.

The object is changed by the subject when the subject interacts with the object. For an objective "The Truth" to exist wholly, it has to remain entirely unobserved. We can get close approximations of truly knowing, but never fully truly knowing.

By surrendering and getting nothing back. The efficacy of the surrender process depends on how much distortion you refuse to surrender.

Are you people basically saying understanding a novel is down to pure chance?

starve yourself until you're almost dead

>bro like what if you're not real?????
neck yourself

All readers understand novels slightly differently, you should know this intuitively. Try reading Wolfgang Iser’s work. A literary work is only fully realized when it is read, and it exists on a continuum between reader and writer, but there are certain signifiers which are signposts that everyone recognizes in basically the same way.

No it depends on your life experiences and the issues in your life that you care about. Those are often similar between different people, but can also vary widely. You can see something of value that the author did not intend or cared about specifically. Or you can happen to share similar experiences as the author and interpret it as intended. A masterwork is a story that touches many different people with different experiences alike and gives them something of value.

I would not say this is random. It very much depends on who you are and how you became who you are.

If you read for knowledge you’re a fool

Doing it for pleasure is the best

But knowledge brings me pleasure

You intuit it. It’s why a little experience is worth more than decades of reading.

And that’s in the Greeks. Start with the Greeks. End with the Greeks.

Oh look a hedonist. Why not implant some metal rods into your brain and stimulate your pleasure center with electricity instead of shitting up my literature board.

Well I sure don't know what you're on about.

Attached: wow.png (500x326, 200K)

simple pleasures aren't the same thing as hedonism you idiot.

this might help explain this to you

Attached: 9385134.jpg (800x800, 86K)

>”my” literature board
>doesn’t recognize Montaigne paraphrase

Go back to high school