ITT: Moments in books that elicited a significant reaction from you

ITT: Moments in books that elicited a significant reaction from you

>The end of Chapter 41 in Catch 22 when Snowdens organs leak out

was wincing and sweat a bit from that

Attached: serveimage3.jpg (1000x700, 66K)

there there

Another normie choice but the very end of Brave New World's imagery of suicide. Also, end of Hunchback of Notre Dame with Quasimodo's body in the tomb thing

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

>everybody has a share

Got a chuckle out of me

The chapter where Aarfy kills the whore and the one where the guy gets chopped up by the pilot who flies his plane into a mountain got me worse.

couldnt care less about chapter 40 but that bit with kid sampson and the mountain followed with doc daneeka was so horribly depressing for no reason

exactly what i was thinking when i was reading how detailed his description was was about how he probably experienced it and how many folks like him experienced things like this

Damn I just read this book like 4 months ago, I forgot most of the characters names ( there were so many ) but I do remember the chapter where he’s walking through the streets of war torn France and the book takes on a dark dark sense of realism. It was so unexpected after like 400 pages of sort of goofy and fun magical storytelling. I think that was the most powerful part of the book for me. I remember Snowden was the kid that died his first day of combat and Yossarian sat with him as he bled out, that was intense as fuck. I kept thinking that the wars of today are nothing like anything else we’ve been through. The old French guy that tells him that it’s better to side with the victims of war was interesting too.

Was I the only one who thought Milo was based?

The syndicate was a genius operation

Milo was the good guy of the story, and a true American hero.

Everyone else was just pinko commies undermining the war effort desu.

1984:
"Do you consider yourself a man, Winston?"
"Yes."
"If you are a man, Winston, you are the last man.
Your kind is extinct; we are the inheritors."

This, followed by the torture got me pretty bad. Normie, but Orwell is fucking based

The one chapter where Orr keeps asking Yossarian questions over and over and over. I

The scene where Yossarian is almost in tears begging Aarfy to leave the cockpit while Aarfy is completely oblivious gave me a mild sense of panic.

There's that moment in Sirens of Titan where that guy chooses to die on an empty planet b/c his body temp makes some slugs happy. That moment has stuck with me for a long time.

The scene with the children and the bad priest in V.

The book is set in Italy

I always thought it was set on some imaginary island near the coast of Europe and they were in recently liberated France bear the end of the war no?

He was a kike

No

It's nightmarish, I'm pretty sure that's where Heller got that from, one of those nightmares where you can't make yourself understood

How has nobody said the ending of The Dead yet?

the scene in "Journey to the End of the Night," when he's on the boat and suddenly gets the paranoid suspicion that everybody on the boat thinks he's an unsavory individual and imagines they're hatching a plot to throw him overboard, then it becomes more and more clear that they are in fact conspiring against him, and the only way he can save himself is through a chauvinistic display of patriotism, I've spent the last 8 years on that boat, and I haven't saved myself through my words or actions, and everyday people still make attempts to throw me into the drink, do away with me, and I can't for the life of me figure out what I did to make people so angry at me, hostile looks from strangers on a daily basis, meaning in their smiles, that scene summed it up nicely

Could you tell me why this scene is so meaningful to you?

it didn't elicit much from me, but perhaps, I just read dubliners too young and in the wrong mindset

Death of Ivan Ilyich
>'such joy'
incredible, honestly incredible

Attached: 51XNuBvzJSL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (338x499, 32K)

When you understand the essential solitude at the heart of human experience--how impossible it is to translate feeling into language--how all communion is brief, fragmented, and illusive--the ineffability of desires, expectations, and disappointments--once you understand all this, you will appreciate the silent snow.

holy fuck, digging out my copy of dubliners right now. guess i never would've emotionally resonated with that at 15
thanks, my friend

Near the end of the Circe chapter in Ulysses, when the ghost of Stephen's mother appears

The entirety of the "Time Passes" part of To The Lighthouse

"All right, then, I'll go to hell"

Hector's speech to his wife in The Iliad

When Navidson is ripping out pages of a book to light on fire and the audience realizes he is reading House of Leaves. I was a teenager.

Bishop's Crusoe in England. Barely a five minute read. You should read it right now.

I read it when I was 15 and it blew me away

'Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow' from Macbeth, the hell sermon in Portrait, the closing passages of Chapters 1 and 9 of The Great Gatsby, several passages in Faust (even in translation), Part 2 Chapter 32 of Lolita and all immediately come to mind

the hell sermon in Portrait is phenomenal

i'm glad it did for you. when i first read it at that age, i was probably a little intimidated and more focused on fully 'grasping' a great book, that i didn't enjoy it very much, and it ended up not resonating with me

The ball in the Leopard

the El Sordo chapter of For Whom the Bell Tolls, it filled me with laughter and satisfaction

>There was no morphine in the first-aid kit, no protection for Snowden against pain but the numbing shock of the gaping wound itself. The twelve syrettes of morphine had been stolen from their case and replaced by a cleanly lettered note that said: "What’s good for M & M Enterprises is good for the country. Milo Minderbinder."

Has there ever been a bigger cunt in literature?

i forgot how lowkey funny this book was

The ending of Code Geass

They mention Italy a couple times. The old man you mentioned is specifically meant to represent the plight of Italy when they realized they were going to lose the war. I think the exact region they fly missions in might be made up, I haven’t read it in a while.

speedreader

>Am I a monster, are there monsters in me?

Thats one part, but the whole of Suttree has stayed with me like a half awake nightmare.