Free verse is not poetry...

Free verse is not poetry. If you write free verse unironically know that you are responsible for the death of poetry as a genre. Enough said.

Attached: 1542240715445.jpg (835x773, 333K)

Other urls found in this thread:

poets.org/poetsorg/text/death-death-poetry
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyme#Eye_rhyme
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tell it to whitman

Or Eliot

SHITman

oh user
you are so sad
about something as lovely
as poetry
please
please
let yourself love yourself
let yourself love
there is only you user
you and your
happiness
don't let poetry take a single
thing

reminder: many, many poets use forms like sonnets to guide the intial form of a piece and the break the form in later revisions.

rhyme is not hard to write in for an experience poet

meter is not hard to write in for anyone who knows what it is

forms can be difficult but to claim them as necessary for poetry always points to someone who does not read well and cannot write well

No one who's competent in writing writes free verse poems. Stop pretending like people write standard poems with rhyme and meter and then fuck them up because "lol free verse", that's retarded. Also form is necessary for poetry, it's the whole point of it. If you can't bother with it you might as well write prose, dumbass.

who cares what a fat retard like you thinks?

Suck my dick
Nigga shit
Cryin' about poetry?
Nigga (shit)

Get it wet
Pop it (yes)
Stick that dick
Twixt yo cheeks
Make a nigga yell
YEET

I'm not fat, nor a retard. I think you're projecting a bit too much there.

whatever you say fatty

More like WHITE MAN amirite guise?

that irish user with his poems is a successful testrun of AI created Poetry and i am not even lying. It fucking works. What does free verse matter now when we bring about a new species capable of creating culture

A white man wrote this

A white man wrote this

I love free verse but I also hate poetry.

im 100% a better poet than you are

lol

go talk about Pope's Iliad you mutated LARPer

lol

Op, please define poetry for the class. Be concrete.

Have you tried reading Dylan Thomas? He writes some great free verse poems.

Reminder that biblical poetry is in free verse and that heathens like OP will burn in Hell.

And who is 'competent in writing' and writes (present tense NB) formal poetry?

im the dude that is very pro-free verse, but Jericho Brown just made a form called the duplex which is a combination of the Sonnet and the Ghazal, and his poems are great (he writes mostly in free verse though)

Not many, which is exactly my point because modern poetry is terrible.

When this Verse was first dictated to me I consider'd a Monotonous Cadence like that used by Milton & Shakspeare & all writers of English Blank Verse, derived from the modern bondage of Rhyming; to be a necessary and indispensible part of Verse. But I soon found that in the mouth of a true Orator such monotony was not only awkward, but as much a bondage as rhyme itself. I therefore have produced a variety in every line, both of cadences & number of syllables. Every word and every letter is studied and put into its fit place: the terrific numbers are reserved for the terrific parts—the mild & gentle, for the mild & gentle parts, and the prosaic, for inferior parts: all are necessary to each other. Poetry Fetter'd, Fetters the Human Race! Nations are Destroy'd, or Flourish, in proportion as Their Poetry Painting and Music, are Destroy'd or Flourish! The Primeval State of Man, was Wisdom, Art, and Science.

Attached: William_Blake_by_Thomas_Phillips.jpg (619x800, 101K)

>Not many
Name the few.

Not a murican but I'm a big fan of Mário de Andrade.

We wuz kangz
While white man wuz our slaves
We wuz flying through space
While Crackas lived in caves
We wuz magic, knew how to fly
We wuz immortal, we’d never die
But then Yakub, with oversized head
Created the aryan race, selectively bred
The old kangz fell to the aryan master race
And we became slaves instead
Kill the Crackas, rise up in arms
Kill the Crackas, burn their farms
Jews, spics, niggas, rise up
The aryan’s time is finally up
Cave beasts falter, their empire collapses
Now all that is left is to sift through the ashes
The aryan falls, and the true kangz return
To rule the Earth and the stars forever more

Attached: 30A2A8A3-2A5A-4FDF-8129-96E4318C1B86.jpg (246x205, 13K)

Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.
Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.
Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.
For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD.
By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses.
Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.
For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.
The LORD bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices of the people of none effect.
The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD: and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
The LORD looketh from heaven; he beholdeth all the sons of men.
From the place of his habitation he looketh upon all the inhabitants of the earth.
He fashioneth their hearts alike; he considereth all their works.
There is no king saved by the multitude of an host: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength.
An horse is a vain thing for safety: neither shall he deliver any by his great strength.
Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy;
To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine.
Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield.
For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name.
Let thy mercy, O LORD, be upon us, according as we hope in thee.

poets.org/poetsorg/text/death-death-poetry

I take my massive cock
And ram it down your throat
I’m more logical than Spock
And more handsome than any Croat
Because op is a faggot
A massive, big nosed, Jew
So I make him suck my cock
Teach him a thing or two
My penis stuck in his throat
All I can do is gloat
You’re mine now bitch
Time to get the rope

You hang and swing from a cherry tree
A rope tight around your neck
Your face filled with pleasure
My semen dripping from your body
Falling free
Every orifice was violated
Every crevice explored
You were such a treasure
A fun little whore
I had to finish up
When you could no longer throw up
So I handed you a rope
You were so broke
You welcomed death with a smile
You could no longer be groped
You climbed up a ladder
Your throat still filled with my bile
You took the rope with little chatter
You wrapped it around a branch
And so you fell like an avalanche

Attached: F8091836-FE19-4EFE-AD42-7D3739BEC891.jpg (289x359, 21K)

why would i take user's word for it when poets who've written poetry that i, and millions of others, have enjoyed have said the opposite of what you're telling me? i have reasons to take their word for it as they've proven they know about poetry by writing it. what do you know about poetry? why should I agree with you?

Throat and Croat don't rhyme you fucking mong

ezra pound and ts eliot talked a lot about free verse. they called it vers libre, and it was verse liberated from form but not seperate from it. good free verse works in conjunction with form and uses it as a means to an end, not the end itself. id give you some essays to read on the matter but you're a shit head and i don't know them off the top of my head so do the research yourself. just google ts eliot vers libre and that should get you started

Memes

did you know there's more than one kind of rhyme? not all rhymes are perfect rhymes. throat and croat actually do rhyme. go visit the wiki page on rhyme. if that isn't sufficient i can rec some books that teach you about rhyme if you don't trust wikipedia altho i can vouch for the accuracy of the rhyme page specifically.

No matter what bullshit excuse you give throat still doesn't rhyme with Croat. Also, wikipedia says that those kinds of "written" rhymes only happened in the past because of phonetical differences in speech. So basically you're just making an excuse for him sucking right now. Good job, intellectual.

Your a fucking moron who dosen’t understand poetry and rhymes.

>he doesn't say throat as "throw-at"

no it doesn't and no they didn't. you quite literally are lying to save face on an anonymous imageboard when anyone can just go to the page and read it themselves. or did you genuinely misinterpret something as simple as a wikipedia article? just because you say something doesn't make it true. There's quite a few types of rhyme, some aren't even phonetic at all so that kind of raises issues with your supposed argument.

>Your
lol
Okay, retard.

nice rebuttal dipshit. I'm embarrassed for you

At least read your own article, please.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyme#Eye_rhyme
>Some early written poetry appears to contain these, but in many cases the words used rhymed at the time of writing, and subsequent changes in pronunciation have meant that the rhyme is now lost.

>Time, which reported The Waste Land as a hoax in 1922
heh

Attached: image.jpg (2048x1536, 645K)

absolute tumblr shit

English is shit for meter and rhyme though.

wtf who says croat as krow-at

Whitman, W. "Leaves of grass", abridged edition. Comments by user, A.

Hahaha U GOTIM

>in many cases
Okay, where does it say this is it for all cases? Do you know how to read?

Everyone other than you and five other burgers