It's good because it has a lot of pages!

>it's good because it has a lot of pages!

Attached: 1_FvZliVsT8TKAEfE5471jWQ.jpg (1600x1600, 264K)

no, it's the name of the author
there are plenty of big books no one would bother with

and how did the name of the author earn this prestige?

What do you mean the renowned American Author David Foster Wallace has killed himself on September 12th, 2008?! No way! Who could've guessed it? He had it all! He wrote a masterpiece. He had money and fame! He had access to tight undergrad pussy for the rest of his life! He was beloved by academics and common folk alike! What didn't this man have?! Oh well, what he didn't really have, was sincerity. He was never a writer. He only pursued it so that he could become the wacky bandana man. And he did. There goes him with his tight jeans, white bandana, bronze complexion and thin round glasses! Wacky man! But oh no! Instead of his usual routine of getting back home and turning on the TV for a fresh rewatch of America's great existentialist TV show Seinfeld, instead, he takes a turn towards his living room, searching for something, a page maybe? Whatever he could find so he could utter his last words. But he didn't write anything... Why? No, no, what do you mean a writer doesn't have anything to say moments before his death? What?! Yes, the truth is that he had nothing to say. His life already said enough. The man was a farce, a phony, a fake. his suicide wasn't a sincere act, but rather, the full expression of a not virtuous life, for suicide is the last attempt at becoming honest. But as he must've learned, this act, too, is a farce. For life doesn't end on earth, but rather, continues well into eternity, into fire, into damnation, and if there is a hell (there must be a hell), David Foster Wallace is there, among the garbage and the flies, and the flames, burning, screaming, screeching, reminiscing about the pathetic works he wrote, his bad life decisions, his missed opportunities, but most importantly, his lack of sincerity. He tried to live life as if he was a post modern character, a depressed genius who tries to transcend it all with literature, but ultimately fails. And he lived that perfectly. But all he got was eternal burning in hell.

Harold Bloom went off the rails on this one

>it's bad because i'm an adhd faggot who can't concentrate on real literaure!

but seriously is it good?

It sounds great

No, period piece

>period piece
wtf... I mean, as much as anything is...
It's fun OP, but if you are a very "literal" reader and aren't open to some of his weird quirks you probably won't like it.
It's like Pynchon-lite.

i will never ever read infinite jest.

you must be real cool and smart

Very good. His books are kind of puzzles, so they turn off the casual readers here. He's not for everyone though. Some people are bothered by his style. But yes his works are brilliant, focused pieces of literature by a master of tone

i unironically am, i'm also based and redpilled.

this book made me want to kill myself and felt like becoming schizo. I really cant fathom how this is still 'the meme' oh what should be the most erudite board on the internet

>the most erudite board on the internet
retard.
>this book made me want to kill myself and felt like becoming schizo.
weak-willed and should never pick up Pynchon in that case.

Yea Forums is shit, but literally name a better one.

>Thinks it's not good because it has a lot of pages

why didn't dfw just break the book up into two volumes like a henry james novel? this would have negated the need for the footnotes

"No!"

I really wish the Jews would allow books to be published in multiple volumes again. I got the old penguin classics war and peace in two volumes, and it was so much more pleasurable to read it without having to manhandle a brick

you know how concept albums became the death of rock? same thing goes for concept novels and literature, too dumb to be a poet, brevity soul of wit and all that

>concept novels
wtf are you talking about?
So any book that is isn't a sappy melodramatic period piece?
fuckign kill yourself.

No, he means any book with concepts, plots, characters, or prose is bad

Do you seriously not know what a concept album is?

proust is in multi volume

No, we don't know what the fuck a "concept novel" is. Every novel has a concept. It's a nonsense term

Don't think you understand concepts particularly well m8

(((Harold Bloom)))

Infinite Jest sucks donkey dick

>it's good because Yea Forums says so
I fucking fell for this meme book, page 700 and I want to DFW myself (if you know what I mean).

epic

I don't get the strong feelings on this one - it's a pretty good book & some of it really resonates with me. I like his prose and his ability to mix humor with poignance. I like his story structure & unlike a lot of long, fragmented masterworks, there's an actual story to be unearthed.

Why read it if you haven't read any of his essays or short stories first? Why dive into a really long book that tests the reader's patience constantly if you're not in the joke? And then, on top of that, why blame the author instead of yourself for not figuring out your literary prefs?

You're a retard.
All novels are concept novels unless it's a book of short stories, poems, or it just plain sucks.
fuck off.

and even some short story collections have concepts.

David NAMES THE JEW in Pale King and Oblivion.
Ironically it's the pol-fags who hate him, but they're too dumb to understand!