Who are the most BASED minor writers of all time? I want to go deep down the rabbit hole. Guys like Coover, Federman...

Who are the most BASED minor writers of all time? I want to go deep down the rabbit hole. Guys like Coover, Federman, Elkin, Lewis, Exley. Please dump them on me. Any charts for this?

Attached: joseph-mc-letter-left.jpg (542x853, 142K)

WOW zero recommendations. What a shit board Yea Forums is.

make shit threads get shit (no) responses

Shit I knew I should have made my thread not about literature.

>no great writers in this thread, please

Jorge Ibargüengoitia, Ernesto Sabato.

claude louis combet

Céline

Sorry guys can you only post English authors. I don't read translations.

go fuck your mother, then.

Celine and Sabato aren't minor.

Sabato is the epitome of a minor writer. Borges = major. Sabato = minor. Simple as that.

>Coover, Federman, Elkin, Lewis, Exley
Those arent even minor, just shit.

>whines about how no one recs him authors
>anons them rec him some authors
>"only Anglofags please, I don't read translations xddd"
kys faggot

>Sorry I’m a pseudointellectual

John Barth is one of the most painfully underrated writers here.

What the fuck does this even mean? People regularly post about him. There was a time a year or two ago where there threads posted daily about The Sot-Weed Factor or Giles Goat-Boy.

Juan Rulfo (Pedro Paramo and The Burning Plain collection, I sometimes reread him because he’s got such a unique voice, as good as Márquez at the least)
Flann O’Brien (beyond ‘At Swim’, I spent a good six months reading all his stuff and found it a ton of fun)
Andre Dubus (American short story writer of the working class, catholic and very)
Sebastian Barry (I’ve only read On Canaan’s Side but I loved it, idk if he is more well known in Ireland)
Tim O’Brien (sometimes he gets mentioned here, The Things They Carried, “The Man I Killed” is such an amazingly brief but good story)
Roberto Calasso (read everything you can find, fiction and nonfiction, his book “K.” on Kafka is amazing, I think he’s one of the greatestx maybe the greatest literary intellectual of the modern era)

Oh no :( he’s retarded. Someone get some help!

>Nathaniel West
>Walker Percy
>Owen Barfield (If your into Literary Criticism)
>Evenlyn Waugh (Could be classified as major but he doesn't receive enough attention IMO, either on Yea Forums or in larger critical circles in general)
>Graham Greene (He's in the same situation as Waugh).
>Jose Saramago (Better than Marquez IMO but gets far less attention

Sorry. I don't feel like translations do justice to the original prose.

Waugh and Greene are both pretty big in the UK, I had to read Brighton Rock in school

Attached: tea.png (330x330, 45K)

I figured they'd be more popular in the UK. They probably have the same regional/national appeal of writers like O'Connor and Faulkner have for Americans.
I wish they were memed more...Brideshead Revisited, A Handful of Dust, and The Power and the Glory are all highly underrated and incredible novels.

Im more shocked to hear they aren't well known oveseas, Evelyn Waugh in particular is usually considered one of the greats. Up there with Dickens.

I'm not surprised. I don't expect the humour translates that well, and they are rooted in that upper class British world. On the other hand, Wodehouse seems to be adored everywhere you go.
Waugh has that thing, like Wodehouse, where you meet a fellow fan and you can make each other laugh by saying a few words
>BUBONIC PLAGUE RAGING

They are popular in Canada

Waugh is very much upper class Brit lit but he's influenced a surprising amount of writers. Irvine Welsh says Waugh was one of his influences

When does a minor author become major?

Waugh is almost too polished and charming. The surface hilarity is done so well it can obscure what a serious artist he is. Especially Brideshead, where Sebastian is such an impossibly charming character it obscures, in the wider public perception of Waugh as a writer, what the book is actually about.

not reading great works doesn't do justice to the original prose either.

Dalton Trumbo

He was pretty well known as a movie director but he also wrote two pretty based books. Eclipse and Johnny Got His Gun

Attached: trumboo.jpg (446x325, 35K)

When I run out of English things to read Ill get to those translations trust me.

Alexander Theroux. Basically American Laurence Sterne.

Hermann Broch

That's retarded.

Why

Not reading Homer, the Greek tragedians, Dante, Cervantes, Borges, Pessoa, Baudelaire, etc because "they aren't written in English xddd". You're missing out the best.

Second Calasso-
the early Ruin of Kasch (80's) I feel is his best. Start with the short essay collection Literature and the Gods to gain a sense of what he's about.
Pic'd is A. J. Liebling, one of my favorite expository writers- The Honest Rainmaker, Mollie (War Pieces), The Earl of Louisiana among my favorites.

Attached: liebling_aj_WD.jpg (830x589, 112K)

Barfield's Poetic Diction is essential

my nigga Robert Graves
Vidal is okay too

>and nonfiction, his book “K.” on Kafka is amazing, I think he’s one of the greatestx maybe the greatest literary intellectual of the modern era)
Seconding this.

>Vidal
>Minor

Alright fine I agree to read a translation as long as the translation is better written than the original. So what do you recommend?