One of the greatest female writers

Reminder that Aurundhati Roy's fantastic "The God of small Things" is one of the greatest works of literature in the past 50 years.

The ministry of utmost happiness is great as well, but does not reach the level of her debut novel.

Inb4 all the mysoginists come in quoting Hemingway as an excuse to be lonely, needy, and repulsive.

Attached: 1848.jpg (700x874, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

granta.com/how-to-write-about-pakistan/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Finally. I don't see her discussed enough

>tfw no Indian mommygf
She's so pretty, if I may say that. I'll try and check her book out in the future, thanks OP.

>The God of small Things
Because it's boring bookclub material for housewives.

Glad I could turn someone on to her

Could you provide a synopsis of this novel? How does she compare to Salman Rushdie?

>orange soda

>Unironically recommending Arundhati Roy

checked based mommyposter

I've been meaning to read it but it's too long/daunting tbqh

I would hug you.

Aurundhati roy is one of my favorite writers

Female writers are superior by default, just saying.

Attached: film-eclipse-daisies-original-lst149033.jpg (620x349, 39K)

I'd fuck her. I'm sure her book's good too.

Pshhh.

Attached: 6B846FA9-D48C-4C1A-8623-9A7AF664EA42.png (640x464, 374K)

what's it about, niggas?

two siblings growing up in India, they saw some fucked up shit, got separated, reunited later on in life. Caste system, poverty, some political stuff here and there.

Please stop. Just get your own trip already.

Attached: giphy.gif (500x375, 495K)

Yikes

There should be a rule not to use quotes in a freaking novel.

The God of Small Things? It’s like 300-400 pages bruh

Are her works filled with anti-capitalist notions? If so, I'll pass on this cutie.

Yes, my absolute mallunigga. Thank Christ someone brought it up. I love you, OP. Idk if she's the greatest female writers, but The God of Small Things is one of the most impactful, personally meaningful books I've ever read.

Y'know how so many of the Americans, Europeans and Japanese, all of different races and classes and religious upbringings, have grown up reading literature that has somehow in someway felt familiar to them and has somehow, in some miniscule part, reflected their people and culture and experience? Even if it's as simple as reading names and places that you can perfectly pronounce, events and values that you've understood on a deep cultural and personal level. I had never had that. All the shit I read in English was about foreign people and their lives and their adventures. Even the shit I read about India seemed different and far away, because they were placed in other parts of India and with different languages (India is massively diverse), so they never really connected with me. A lot of them were great pieces, to be sure, and I could def connect with those piece, but none could beautifully speak to my own life, experience and culture background.

That was until I had read 'The God of Small Things'. Until I read this book at 19, I had never read the word 'Kerala' or seen a word in Malayalam in any english book, and it connected with me on such subconscious, almost spiritual level. The prose was poetic and magnetic, and it was filled love and compassion that so closely matched my own personal principles. I could understand every cultural context, every reference. The names, the family values, cultural strife, strikes, the politics, the jam factory, the palm trees, the syrian-orthodox family, the temples, the Kathakali. Everything I felt, everything spoke to my soul.

If I want to credit any book with making me a writer, or making me a better reader, it is this one. i just passionately blabbered all this, but it is all genuine. Thank you, Arundhati Roy. I hope to meet you one day. Thank you, OP for this thread. I hope other people can give this book a fair chance.

While this novel did not impact me the same way it did with you, I'm glad I could appreciate the beauty too.

Thank you for sharing this, and I'm glad you had this experience.

I personally got more out of The Ministry of Utmost Happiness than The God of Small Things.

Cutie

is that Yiddish?

I am from around the Indian subcontinent, and I just cannot stand works by my own authors. They are quite patronising. Instead of actually trying to produce a genuinely original, pure story they just try to magnify the 'Subcontinent-ness' of their works: this helps in promoting the works exoticness for Westerners. You could argue that they are just setting the atmosphere or something but the fact is that mainstream Indian and Pakistani authors are not very good 'natives' of their own countries: most of them actually live in the UK. Works from the Subcontinent are usually humorous, satirical, moral or biographical or if they are about love, it's usually the old love of the epics.

So you're Mallu too? Same here. Neat that she is, didn't think mainstream lit would have one.

the fuck is a mallu

Mallu is a cheeky diminutive word for Malayalee, which are people from the state of Kerala. Our language is Malayalam. TGoST is set in Kerala, with the main characters being from a Syro-Malabar Catholic Malayalee family. I believe Arundhati Roy is half Malayalee and grew up in Kerala for a bit too.

Good point. I agree. Comes with the time, I guess.

Are there any writers you are referring to? And I think I understand what you're talking: that shit feels so disingenuous

But surely you do not mean Roy? She's proper Indian -- born, brought up, even currently lives there.

granta.com/how-to-write-about-pakistan/
I think you'd enjoy this

You live in India? What do you write about?

Which ethnicities do you think have the highest proportion of mommygf's? Can any Indianbros let me know if Indian girls are nurturing to their men?