Tfw been avoiding Augustine and Latin philosophical theologians all the way up to Uni because Yea Forums meme

>tfw been avoiding Augustine and Latin philosophical theologians all the way up to Uni because Yea Forums meme
>tfw i get into argument with professor over late tier Augustine
>bring up the usual arguments "sexually-repressed, proto-Calvinist repackaged Manichaeism"
>pulls out De trinitate and another late tier Augustine tract
>proceeds to show me Latin equivalent to my favorite theologian (Clement of Alexandria; he knows this)
>mfw I fell for a lit meme and got btfo'ed in front of everyone sounding like an ignorant basedboy

Attached: F58B210A-9DF1-4EE2-8F68-74E1984ED49E.jpg (291x370, 141K)

>augustine
reminder that the concept of original sin did not come from god or jesus but was literally just invented and added by this faggot.

this is the sort of thing people believe when they don't read books but get all their information from the History Channel and skimming wikipedia

Rom. 5:18-19 Then as one man’s trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one man’s act of righteousness leads to acquittal and life for all men. For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by one man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

What is the original copy pasta? Can someone post it?

Catholics should simply admit their Atheism. Schrodinger's Paul is embarrassing. Ur-Theologian when they agree with him, "APOSTLE OF THE HERETICS" when they don't. And to think a troglodyte like Irenaeus is a "good" Catholic...

There is only one theological tradition that takes Paul seriously.

Attached: john-calvin.jpg (234x300, 8K)

i actually got this from an introduction to philosophy textbook

What Yea Forums meme stopped you from reading Augustine?

No, it came from the bible retard:
>Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me
Psalms 51:5

>The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Genesis 6:5

>We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.
Isaiah 64:6

>No, it came from the bible retard:
and who put it there?

Yea Forums likes Augustin tho

2 Tim. 3:16 All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness

Based

To be fair, the concept of original sin addresses a specific impurity inherited from Adam's first sin, not man's natural inclination towards wrongdoing. Those verses don't explicitly define original sin as it's conceived today, however, to provide bases on which the idea might be inferred. But that isn't the same as explicitly stating "We baptise you because of Adam's sin".

*do provide not to, sorry

How many errors can a man introduce into western """Christianity"""?

>not man's natural inclination towards wrongdoing
Men are sinners because Adam sinned:

Daily reminder all religious conviction begins first with sentiment, then finds justification, not the other way around

>implying

I don't see a problem with that.
Altho perennialism would solve a lot of intolerence, while not destroying religious conviction.

The term "original sin" (peccatum original) was coined by Augustine, the concept was not

Timothy is of doubtful origin, it is not surprising to see a quote like that in a book written by a wannabe.

It's recognized as canonical by every Christian on the face of the planet so I think it's fine.

Imagine being sick with Saint Bernard. Imagine!

Attached: xTnW82R-.jpg (674x415, 95K)

>it's a doggy dog world
>t. Saint Bernard

Why do people get so butthurt about original sin?

Because they feel that they are atoms, disconnected and independent from all other humans, and thus should bear no consequences from the actions of their ancestors.

Because we aren't slaves, sadly. Why do you support original sin, but not support the notion of generational imprisonment? If your grandfather committed a crime, why should you not be locked up right now? If the previous centuries of select European groups colonized the rest of the world, why should their descendants not be tried for the crimes as if they were the ones who committed them?

If you don't support those doctrines (which I know you don't, since many of you are from /pol/ and believe in white nationalism and racial separatism and that "today's generations can't be blamed for their ancestors actions" lol), don't expect others to support cosmic magnifications of them like original sin.

Do you have some kind of slave-impulse in you, that Christian doctrines satisfy? I'm genuinely curious, because I can't see much of a reason why someone with the freedom to choose religions would choose yours among the rest.

it seems that nobody ITT get it's a copypasta
lole'd

>Why do you support original sin
Idk bro, depending on the definition it means humans don't always act like angels, which I guess I believe in.

This is an unfounded and incorrect assertion.

It seems that you don't get that it works perfectly as a template to start discussions anyways

Augustine's notion of inherited guilt from Adam's original sin (along with the inherited propensity towards sin) made sense for him because of his belief in the now discredited theory of seminal generation- the idea that all human beings existed within Adam's sperm during the Fall and were thus ontologically part of their forefather and responsible for his sin. Since we now know that human reproduction doesn't work that way, you are correct that Augustine's notion of inherited guilt might seem unjust.

We can get around this problem, however, by recognizing that the story of Adam and Eve in Genesis is not a literal description of a discrete historical event but a metaphorical explanation of the universal human tendency to turn away from God. Adam, our universal forefather, whose name literally means "man" or "mankind" is disobedient to God just as we all are. We choose in every instant to reject His love and will. Our guilt is not exactly inherited, but it is real and universal, found in every human being. It's also just.

It's also worth mentioning that Augustine believed that baptism wiped away the guilt of original sin. We are under the curse of our own disobedience, but God's free gift of grace eliminates that penalty as well as its harmful effects.