How's the Novel going, Yea Forums? Did you make any headways in writing it...

How's the Novel going, Yea Forums? Did you make any headways in writing it? Have you finished an Outline or a rough draft? Perhaps even have an inkling in what you want to write about?

If not, do you want to talk about it? Maybe talking about it in this thread could help you.

Attached: pana.jpg (4961x3508, 1.84M)

>How's the Novel going, Yea Forums?
Poorly, to be honest.
>Did you make any headways in writing it?
At first, I did, however, now I'm stuck in this infinite loop, in where I type for a few hours in which I like, only for the next day to be disgusted by it and delete it.

>Have you finished an Outline or a rough draft?
I have an outline but no rough draft.

>Perhaps even have an inkling in what you want to write about?
I already know what I'm about to write. Just wondering if I should go balls deep or moderate it.

I'm 20k words in, out of a planned 90k and I can't bring myself to go on writing it. I know what is going to happen, I know they characters who will be introduced, I know the general feeling the scene is supposed to give, but I loathe it anyway.

I haven't started it yet because I don't know how.

Attached: 1550265199924.gif (328x338, 2.24M)

>but I loathe it anyway.
Why?

You don't know how?

I don't know how to start it. I have a feel, a general idea of a plot and a real conviction and desire to see it through, but I open a word document and just can't for the life of me figure out how to say it. I've never really had that problem before desu, maybe it's just laziness.

I understand though I have the exact opposite problem. I know how to begin the first chapter, but due to how I want to write my novel (Run-on-the-mill at first.) Wanna talk about? It may help.

Been sitting on it for too long because it keeps getting objectively better the longer I wait. I keep worrying that I'll get halfway through, only to get an idea in a few months. It's the worst fucking form of intellectual paralysis and even though I'm aware it's my problem I can't seem to shake it.

Have you tried writing a different story to keep your mind off from this one?

I have an outline, a full first chapter, and some brief chunks of writing from later points in the plot. I’m not making fast progress but I’m moving forward a little bit at a time.

I have a ton of books I want to read as background and to better inform myself on the themes I want to explore. It is also historical fiction so it will be challenging to develop a fidelity to the era my story is placed in. All this to say, my work often excites me and I enjoy seeing it continue to take shape as I work. I hope someday I can publish it, but I’m not in a rush to get it out there. I want it to be good.

I'm more of a poet these days. I've gotten several poems published, too, so I think switching away from prose turned out to be the right decision.

Neat

I'm at 100k words now, and I feel like deleting half of it. The more I write, the more I delete.

I only have the idea and title, haven't written anything. I've only read a dozen or so books so I want to read more to get a sense for what style I should go for. Any advice on writing books or exercises/tutorials? I'm really lost when it comes to writing. Like when it comes to art there's the fundamentals like perspective and shit so it seems more straightforward.

Working slow. Breaking it down into seperate plots and subplots. Doing each individually one at a time like seperate novellas. Then i'm gonna try and piece the damn thing together. Have about almost 300 pages and a lot more to write before i'm done. And this'll be just a rough draft.

It's done and revised. 95,000 words. How do I get it published?

What the fuck was going through this artist's mind?
>you know what I like? LEDs. Everywhere they can be
>let's put some LEDs on her pockets
>on her buckles for some reason?
>What's she carrying in those pockets and underneath those buckles? I don't know, fuck you
>Oh shit, and some LED cat ears, I love cat ears
>man, cyberpunk is so cool
>now let's have this futuristic catgirl standing like a fucking autist next to a recycling bucket outside what appears to be a Copy Max, with her only friends: two weebs who are apparently so retarded they needed limbs cybernetically replaced, and to live out their intensely dull, slav-squatting existences from inside hermetically sealed steel helmets
>Also they're a biker gang? But they don't have bikes. Yeah, this sounds great

You know, totalitarian states really were right. Putting the person who drew this into a labor camp would be so much greater a benefit for humanity than letting him roam free

Send it to multiple publishers and not just one. I sent my work to one publisher thinking they're going to call me to a meeting it, but they didn't. Had to wait 2 months for that response too. Was pretty bummed. Now I have sent mine to 5 or 6 publishers and have to wait only 2 months for their response instead of waiting for one every 2 months. The more the better but make sure to read about them and the books they publish

What if two or more agree to publish?

Another user said that's better because it will be a bidding war. Haven't confirmed it though. I guess you just choose the one that's more lucrative

I don't know where else to go, so I'll ask here. I'm writing a Satirist novel that conceals the deconstruction aspect of the novel. I got the setting and themes done. However, The Main character, is for a lack of a better term, a complete shithead. Now, this isn't a problem for me, I intended for that. What is a problem, however, is if the readers will put up with his behavior. I'm rather reluctant to change this since it fits with the themes of my novel. How do I rectify this?

Similar, target 90k at 25k now. Some things are outlined but some are in the works, some written near-finished and some just mentioned. Added two new characters to fill out some plot and flesh the main idea out. It's commercial shit and I don't really like it. BUT I can still see the beauty in it and what I want to say, so it does still feel like "mine".
It's fucking research-heavy and I can't find decent sources. Set in the 1400s and there's better info on shit in the damned Peloponnesian War than on this relatively modern period. I've acquired several books and all that gets mentioned on it is maybe a stray line here or there. Driving me insane.

writing is a talent like mathematics
you're either good at it or you're not

Attached: 1535616129383.png (636x767, 560K)

That's where you are wrong.

Where are all the infant math geniuses?

Its forever stuck in idea soup phase until I can figure out where I actually want my story to go. Been working on it for 2+ years and I think I'm finally ready to take it more seriously, but I need to read more.

Attached: 1486714967988.jpg (392x445, 44K)

Finally released the title and publishing date of it all. Very excited to get it out into the world so that it can find little to no traction while I am alive. Or maybe I will get lucky and find myself in the spotlight of one of the worst communities for artistic mediums just because my brain enjoys writing words on a page.

Honestly these threads are just therapeutic. Nobody actually cares about one another unless there's the chance to shit on them.

Few nice people. Good stuff.

I wrote the first page last night. Felt really good as I haven't been able to get started or even write an outline for months even though ideas have been buzzing around my head every night when I try to switch off. I think it'll come easier now it's going, I stopped because it was 3am.

I started my first short story in a long time the other day. I'm afraid I've lost my touch, but i'm confident that i'll get it back.
It's about a girl that decides to hitchhike to college. None of the truckers would pick her up, but this loopy "bad boy" type character does and explains that the truckers in the area are superstitious and believe in sirens that hitchhike and prey on drivers. Long story short they develops a romance but he turns out to be a male siren at the end. I'll reveal it when she goes to a secluded lake and he feeds her to all the other sirens (who are regular female ones but that's not super important)
I'm going to include some foreshadowing. For example, the guy will whip out a guitar and sing really well and then they'll have a little kissing scene or something, and at some point he'll mention that he grew up with a bunch of older sisters, which will turn out to be all the other sirens in the lake.

Do what you gotta to make it good user. 100k is a lot

Read On Writing by Stephen King

What's the point of setting a word limit for your novel? Genuine question.

To give an indication when to stop.

I would highly suggest not deleting anything you write, at least not successively the next day. Even if the sight of it in your novel seems out of place or bugs you that it isn't right, what I do is (I write mostly on computer and type from handwritten notes) I have a separate document for notes and ideas where I filter anything not yet seeming to fit or that I'm not happy with so the idea, or even just the style of the prose I was fond to write came to my mind and contemplate in the first place, doesn't go to waste. Of course, if something is bad then at some degree it can never be solved or made any better, but when I think about potential wastes while writing, I take inspiration from when McCarthy spoke in an interview about how he finished with a novel, I think of this passage: "It's a messy business," he says about his novel-building. "You wind up with shoe boxes of scrap paper."

Sincerely, I have tons of pages of ideas and plots and characters. But every time I sit down to write properly, I feel as if every word out of my hands worth nothing. There are so many good writers out there that could write the same thing as me but in a better way that I just give up. How to deal with this and not feel like garbage?

>How to deal with this and not feel like garbage?
I read this whenever I'm feeling down.

Attached: NewYork bestseller.jpg (1252x1666, 503K)

Im at 75k of a 100k Fantasy novel. I think its great and a niche people will really like it. Might get a decent amount of bucks if a bigger publisher decides to take it up.

Its split in 4 parts. 1st (mercy, cruelty) is done. 2nd (ritual) im rewriting slightly and editing. 3rd (sister) only needs some editing. 4th (idol) is in babbysteps but ive got the outline firmly in my head already.

Ive worked on this really long and i really want to finish it. Im really close to ending it. Sadly im now intern 40hrs a week in an office job and im not happy and my sleep is compleeeeeteelly fucked and im afraid of writing because it can keep me up at night and i have to be early in the office next day also im drained. But still i feel the need to struggle on and finish the last steps and publish it. Or wait for publishing at least.

Help

Attached: 55j3bqf7nsx01.jpg (650x500, 55K)

Who is this author?

Literally how do you write a novel? I can’t bear writing anything more than a twenty page story. Seems absurd a story should go on for 300 pages.

He's a NewYork bestseller, user.

Attached: Okina.png (1874x1113, 55K)

It's not a novel, it's a romance-anatomy

Yeah, sure. The filename says it, but _who_?

James Joyce

How do you know if ur work is shit or not? People ive sent it to thought it was pretty good but frens are frens.
When I compare it with more established authors in the genre i often think im superior (at least in certain aspects)

Attached: just-b-urself-provides-10-points-of-sex-appeal-bee-14994441.png (500x955, 178K)

Could be you, user.

Attached: Masturbation.jpg (3024x2073, 595K)

Actually just finished my first full-length novel last week! 80k words. Everyone else who is still working on theirs, don't stop! Keep on writing, no matter what

Good job user. Ur looking for a publisher now?

>How do you know if ur work is shit or not?
You review it against other works

last night i found out Faust was about talking to the devil and now feel like my idea would be cliche but its not about that you feel? but the direction be heading toward yours heard?

So I'm writing a novel in which the Narrator is, I don't know how to describe it but acts like a commentator. is that shit viable? or to on the nose?

rewrite it.

Christ, how horrifying.