Urth of the New Sun is the End of Evangelion of science fiction

Urth of the New Sun is the End of Evangelion of science fiction

Attached: new urth.jpg (474x731, 53K)

I'm reading through New Sun at the moment. Is Urth, Long Sun and Short Sun also worth a read?

Yes. They're not on the level of New Sun though.

The plot was bad and Severian was boring Gary Stu.

Attached: torturer.jpg (1080x1080, 306K)

Hello discord tranny

Attached: 1550921626957.jpg (1000x850, 112K)

I didn't actually make this thread as bait, it externalizes what was largely esoteric in Book of the New Sun in a fantastical way. Long and Short sun are the rebuilds: shit

Long Sun is okay, it's more of a Dickensian religious fable. Haven't read Short Sun.

>Whellcum ta Urth

Attached: cvkeq.jpg (498x549, 35K)

I read the first book and it was the purest garbage. Why does Yea Forums love shitty books so much?

t. Brainlet

Expound. Why did you think it was garbage?

>doesn't die even when being killed
Why write character who is not effected by the same rules as other characters in the books world?

He does die though.

Not to the leaf in duel which should mean certain death.

>dies
>sleeps with is own grandmother
>is a cripple with a scarred face

Yep, total Gary Stu!!

I dropped the series after the shadow of the torturer.

He did die, but he was brought back to like (seeing as he is literally meant to be Jesus)

It's not explained whether or not he actually died or if he was just immortal. He does die in New Sun though.

I'm reading Shadow of the Torturer atm. I'm loving every chapter.

Where should I go next?

From the Books of the New Sun, is this the only one worth reading?

Read the tetralogy and then Urth of the New Sun.
Because there's more than 1 fucking book to the series and because they each get better with re-reads.

The claw brought him back after he died from poisoning, numbnuts. Just like it brought Dorcas back from the lake.

I read it and loved it, and I'm no Yea Forums patrician.

The claw had no power. What brought him and Dorcas back was his own power.

Read Short Sun. Long Sun's only real purpose is to set up Short Sun.

>tfw Gene Wolfe sounds like a cool author to get into but worried I'll be to stupid to understand his works

Attached: 1484160155398.jpg (645x968, 47K)

After reading all of them at least twice, I'd say that Short Sun=NewSun>Long Sun
They're all fantastic, but they all do different things. BotNS is far more ambitious on an aesthetic and thematic level. Long Sun had better interpersonal character relationships. Short Sun was a good mix of both. I'm still partial to Short Sun, but I think it's mostly due to the fact that I'm the most familiar with it and it was one of my first Wolfe experiences.

Start with his earlier work, it's easier to digest.

Attached: 71aPkM0zvlL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 13K)

Suggested reading order:
>The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories (Just the short story, but the collection is great as well)
>The Hero as Werwolf
>A Cabin on the Coast
>The Fifth Head of Cerberus
>Peace
>The Book of the New Sun
Then read whatever you want. Latro is 10/10. The Wizard Knight is also fantastic.

A lot of it is enjoyable on a surface level, you don't have to understand all references. Just enjoy weird worlds and cool twists. A lot of it is also meant to click only on later readings so don't worry if you don't get something instantly.

>Yea Forumscels actually think the claw had power

Attached: kisspng-pepe-the-frog-pol-4chan-anonymous-frog-5ad37bf46b7580.9438093015238092684402.jpg (900x840, 112K)

Anyone who thinks that the claw has power probably hasn't read the fourth book, you don't even have to be a careful reader to get it