Kafka on the shore?

I fucking hated Kafka of the shore. Can someone convince me not to hate it as much?

Attached: bafka.jpg (1556x2400, 360K)

People just need to get out of their usual surroundings sometimes.

Attached: kafkabrod.jpg (450x448, 33K)

Why do you hate it user, I find it pretty underwhelming but not to the point of hatred.
The pointless references went nowhere and some of the themes in the book come across as try hard, but overall an okayish read

I feel you user. The part with the feminist strawmen used to reveal the transgendered character was some of the worst writing I’ve read in a long time.

Don’t let anyone tell you that your hate towards this book is misplaced.

Before I had read any Murakami or really knew much at all about his books I had the idea that they would be something like studio ghibli meets magical realism and I had really high expectations. I’m not even sure what gave me this idea. Turns out that was a big mistake since the books are nothing at all like ghibli. His stuff has its own charm, but are honestly not something I would regret if I never never read him again.

The beginning enticed me the end sucked 'washed cock'

Nakata is like one of the best Murakami protagonists

>Can someone convince me not to hate it as much?
Why would anyone do that?

I can't convince you to do anything, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, in the same way I enjoy most Murakami novels; it's like peering in on someone else's dream.
I have to be in a certain state of mind to read Murakami, since his books tend to have a wholly relaxing and dreamlike cadence that lends itself to a gentle, mellow mood in spite of the occasional violence and depravity of what's on the page.
One good analogue for me would be some of Refn's more recent films, especially Drive and Only God Forgives; best viewed when one is in a quiet, chilled out mood.

Murakami is like R rated japanese John Green, prove me wrong

Thats a really unfair assesment go fuck yourself

Based and man alived pilled.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle > 1Q84 > Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki > Kafka on the Shore > Killing Commendatore

So what exactly was the flute guy? Murakami is never really clear on this.

This man speaks the truth. His road trip was very fun to read about.

fucking hate it too, the book which put me off murakami not u nakata[/spolier]

I don't hate Murakami, but Nakata deserved a better author.

I loved how there was a UFO sighting in the beginning that just goes completely unexplained. That's how UFO cases always go, just some batshit stuff that happens and no one can ever dig up an answer.

Anyone else get American Gods vibe from Nakata's road trip?

I think Murakami said at some point you need different readings to truly understand the work but there is loads of loose ends that aren't tied up. I'm guessing the flute guy and KFC guy were both related to the aliens in some way?

>I'm guessing the flute guy and KFC guy were both related to the aliens in some way?
That's one way you could look at it. I don't know if you're familiar with actual UFO research, but people like Jacques Vallee have noted parallels between UFO cases and older folklore such as fairy encounters, all of which seem to bend our understanding of causality and objectivity.

Hell, John Keel's The Mothman Prophecies is sort of like a Murakami novel in real life, except without dream rape.

Kek'd

No. I hate Murakami, yet I can't stop reading his books.

Attached: images (31).jpg (250x188, 11K)

I hear Murakami's writing style is very subconscious, in that he will feel upon a certain symbol or mood in his mind and write it without fully understanding the meaning himself. This of course frustrates critics and a good portion of his fans because he himself often doesn't know the true meaning behind his scenes and images.

I've heard that connection before through listening to some paranormal podcasts but it is a good catch. At first I thought they were more like living incarnations of Fate or Destiny.