Best way to learn philosophy?

Best way to learn philosophy?

Attached: daa.jpg (960x955, 48K)

Read primary sources while reading secondary ones

Read Plato, ya dingus.

Plato was black

Specifically, what is a good book to get a general understanding of the history and famous guys, and then how do I narrow my interests to a single topic.

How did you know it was me?

Attached: looking over her shoulder at you.jpg (700x839, 78K)

You should really start with the Greeks on this subject otherwise you're gonna get played like a fiddle by some ideologue or huckster.

What's a good secondary source you'd recommend

Good place to start with Plato?

The Republic is your best bet if you're only going to read one book by him before moving on to the next guy (Aristotle). The read dialogues if you want to get more in-depth.

Do I have to go into all the crazy presocratics or can I just stick to the big guys

Are there any secondary sources you'd recommend?

Aristotle will do a summary of all the pre-socratics in the beginning of the Metaphysics. You can read that if you want to learn about them.

I don't think you will need them for Plato just use the Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy if you get stuck on a concept and the text does not have adequate notes.

So read Plato's republic, then Aristotle's _____ , then...?

searching "[philosopher] pdf" or "[philosopher] and [subject] pdf" on google will always, always get you good shit

Read a philosophytextbook and memorise every page.

It's going to take you a while to get through Plato and Aristotle but after that you'll have some options, depending on what you like, most people will recommend moving on to Roman writers like Seneca. You may want to check some of the none Platonic Greek schools like the Epicureans (and their Roman descendants like Lucretius: a kino af fellow btw). The Neo-Platonists (a great example is Plotinus) are an option and they'll lead you into a lot of early christian philosophy. You may even want to move into more modern Philosophers like Descartes, Spinoza, or even the Germans. Or you could always ask lit again when you're ready.

What you took from Plato and Aristotle will help determine where you'd have a good time next.

Thank you so much for this information.
What would you consider to be essential reading for Plato and Aristotle?

The Republic and Phaedrus for Plato. The Nicomachean Ethics, The Politics, and book Alpha (I think) of the Metaphysics for Aristotle.

Phiosophers that are garbage/were wrong about everything/had no talent/not worth reading
Plato (moron/wrong about everything/non-intellectual reading for people to dick around on the train)
Descartes (moron)
Heidegger (wrong/takes the worst aspects of nietzsche/a crybaby nazi that hated technology)
Marcus Aurelius (cuck philosophy)
Cicero (cuck philosophy)
Seneca (cuck philosophy)
The Scholastics and really any christcuck (morons/wrong/produced nothing of value)
Hobbes (moron)
Berkeley (moron)
Sartre (moron)
Husserl (nothing of value/boring)
Freud (moron)
Lacan (a bore)
Rand (moron)
Chomsky (nothing of value)
Russell (moron)

Philosophers worth reading
Kant (dont even like him but he is necessary)
Marx and all the 20th century Marxists
The late 20th century postmodernists ie. Deleuze (genius), Foucault, Baudrilard (based), Virilio, Derrida
Mcluhan
Aristotle
Spinoza
Nietzsche (based)
Stirner (for the memes)
German Idealists
Montaigne (comfy)
Heraclitus
Whitehead (genius)
Bergson
Bataille
Michelstraedter
Leibniz
Epicurus
Lucretius
Taoists (chad philosophy)
Voltaire
Hume

Gracias homie. Really appreciate it

This guy is a faggot and a retard. Do not listen to him or engage with him.

moron

he's right tho

moron

First, ignore anyone who tells to read all primary sources in chronological order. It's a meme that people parrot without actually following. It would take you years and wouldn't be worth it, unless you're deeply interested in literally every single topic of philosophical discussion (you probably aren't).
Start with a history of philosophy. The best ones are Will Durant's Story of Philosophy, Anthony Kenny's A New History of Western Philosophy and Frederick Copleston's History of Philosophy. If you're feeling very lazy you can read Sophie's World. Any one of these should give you a broad overview of the kinds of topics and problems previous philosophers have written about.
There are three authors that you should read regardless of your specific interests: Plato, Aristotle and Kant. Plato and Aristotle are not difficult, but Kant can be very dense and obscure at times, so read him with a companion.
After that you'll need to do your own research to build good reading lists for whatever you're interested in. If your interest is a particular major philosopher, a good secondary source will nearly always be sufficient for you to understand the context and previous philosophers they're responding to. If your interest is a general topic or question, there are usually good textbooks available to give you overviews, and then you jump into the major philosophers mentioned. So if you're interested in philosophy of science, you start with What Is This Thing Called Science?, which is basically the definitive textbook in the field, then zoom in and read Popper, Kuhn, Lakatos and Fayerabend in order. You can look up class syllabi in the sites of reputed schools of philosophy for reading lists and textbook recommendations.
To be clear, you should NEVER skip primary texts of any part of philosophy you want to be genuinely informed about, but it's still best to start with overviews, and sometimes you only need tangential knowledge of a specific field. Besides, the point-of-view of experts is always useful. But philosophy is ultimately a dialogue, and the only way to properly dialogue with someone is by actually reading what they wrote.

Thank you for the detailed response lad. Also, what is your personal favorite of the secondary sources you mentioned? (Thr history of philosophy, Sophie's world, et.)

Kenny is my personal favorite, but you should consider what suits you best. Durant's book is the shortest of the three and will get you actually reading primary sources the fastest, Copleston's is very extensive and is probably overkill, Kenny is comfortably in the middle.
Sophie's World is a book intended to get children into philosophy which happens to provide a very very concise history in the meanwhile. It's good for what it is and decently complete, but I wouldn't seriously recommend it unless you're really impatient.