If there were three books that one had to read before being allowed to post on Yea Forums, what would they be?

If there were three books that one had to read before being allowed to post on Yea Forums, what would they be?

Attached: 1542486573495.png (796x1060, 408K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mGfOHoun0OQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

my diary desu vol.1
my diary desu vol. 2
my diary desu vol. 3

The Bible and Metamorphoses. I don't know about the third.

1. Thomas Pinecone
2. Emily Dickens
3. Warren Piece

Finnegans Wake
Phenomenology of Spirit
Das Kapital

Any decent collection of Plato's complete works
Any decent collection of Aristotle's complete works
The Bible

meme trilogy of course

Giving tree
Good earth
The Unique and it's own

God this is cringe.

King Lear
The Book of Disquiet
The Man Without Qualities

Bible
Plato
Shakespeare

1. Dune
2. The Lord of the Rings
3. The Book of the New Sun

Serious answer:
>The Bible
>Moby-Dick
>The Iliad

Meme answer:
>Ulysses
>The Book of the New Sun
>In Search of Lost Time

A lot of people mentioning the Bible. Anyone hear recommending it that isn't a christian? If so, why? I'm genuinely curious.

Crime and Punishment
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Stranger

Basically, know the bare minimum of literature.

A decent answer at last.

>Anyone hear recommending it that isn't a christian?
Yes.
>If so, why?
Because it is unmatched in terms of influence to all of Western culture after it. Every Western text you've read from the Middle Ages or later was written under the shadow of the Bible, and it has had more influence in your life and circumstances than you might think.
Besides, much of it has undeniable literary merit, so it's not like it's an entirely academic task.

Yes. I’m Buddhist, but the Bible is peak literature.

Hadn't thought of it that way. Good shit, user.

>The Bible
When will this meme stop

The Stranger is a joke. Mediocre garbage.

I'd say:

1. Some parts of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, and the Gospels).
2. Either some Shakespeare or some Milton.
3. One serious more modern writer that composed longer works (Dostoyevsky, Melville, Proust, etc.)

Cont. realistically requiring the entirety of the Bible is ridiculous, but it's important to be familiar with the more important and literarily valuable books of it.

at least 3 doujins of your choosing

If you have read more than three books you can't be allowed to post on Yea Forums. In fact if you're literate you're probably in the wrong place.

Any interest in literature really OP.

What'll happen is you'll come here, not understand anything, shit on immensely when you talk about anything outside the norm, post a thread like this, and begin reading high-brow Yea Forums.

And thus the circle will continue, and Yea Forums will remain full of elitist patricians calling everybody else plebby and hating themselves.

The way God intended.

Attached: 1549895757539.png (722x755, 514K)

Ficciones
Dubliners
the Gospels
see, this weeds out plebs while still being a bunch of entry-level short stories
That's a fair take; most of the Old Testament is skippable.

Molloy
Malone Dies
The Unnamable

Eragon
Eldest
Brisingr

Unironically Infinite Jest, The Illiad and Ulysses. Regardless of how anyone feels about these books, they're discussed constantly

Hypnerotomachia Poliphili
Finnegans Wake
Zettels Traum

>Old Testament
>Complete Shakespeare
>a good intro to literary theory textbook
Gotta have the basics.

Absolutely essential for understanding western literature, film, and music.

1)Bugs
2)Easy on the
3)Carrotd

1)Bugs
2)Easy on the
3)Carrots

more like BIG CHUNGUS lmao

>the greeks
yikes

Attached: 1551141382668.jpg (720x720, 35K)

King James Version of the Holy Bible
On Duties
The Iliad

The Odyssey
The Holy Quran
In Praise of Shadows

>Not realizing that the Greeks codes of honor and philosophies have been the foundation of western civilization since the Hellenistic age and Rome's adoption of Hellenistic culture and are thus key to having any type of grasp of the world in which we live
yikes, Earth and Water for you

Attached: 1540407283780.jpg (218x231, 4K)

Beyond Good and Evil
The Ego and Its Own
Don Quixote

Attached: HumanEt.gif (650x450, 60K)

Because it is:
A window to the culture and desires of people millenia ago and today
The most read book in history
Tremendously influential in History, Politics and Art. Referenced everywhere.

It's a foundational book, like Homer's poems. You don't need to believe it to enjoy it, it's enjoyable on its own, enjoyable to study carefuly why it was so influential, and makes other works more enjoyable aswell because you connect dots. Genesis is more ancient than we know, could go back to premesopotamian stories.

>Hellenistic codes of honor and philosophy
supplanted a long time ago by Western European post enlightenment philosophy.
Claiming the Greeks and Judeo-Christian philosophy is the underpinning of the west in the current year is a sure fire way to spot a pseud.

You mean The Ego and Its Own?

>Implying that Hellenistic ideals did not blend with those of Christianity to form this New Western Civilization
>Implying the honor and duty of the ancient world has not found its way to the greatest generation and even today
Pleb
youtube.com/watch?v=mGfOHoun0OQ

If you can get through a book as long and poorly written as the bible you can get through anything.

Dubliners
Ficciones (try to find the Di Giovanni translations)
The Iliad

Any books are fine as long as they actually read them.

so if I read the thrawn trilogy I can pretend to be an intellectual?

Better than reading Infinite Jest.

Swanns Way
Don Quixote
Brothers Karamazov

to all anons reccing the bible, what English version would you recommend, and also are there any good texts to familiarize myself with the contexts in which it formed, traces of sources - even history up to and through the great schism? The term "Christian" feels nebulous in most of its modern usage, and I find I am constantly trapped up by past misconceptions about the church

>English version
never gonna make it

I truly wish Yea Forums was still this way.

King James for its literary quality and the NRSV for its accuracy. Robert Barron's And Now I See is a very readable book in basic modern theology if you want to start out on easy mode. Augustine and Aquinas are essential for understanding the orthodox faith. After that you'll find your own interests and can branch out. The nebulousness of "Christian" is in part due to the insincerity of many self identified Christians, but also because there is so much variation in Christian thought even within the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

It really doesn't matter which books you read. I never get shit on Yea Forums for not having read something.

When I do get shit, its because I've disagreed with someone, or because of my word choice. The easiest way to post on Yea Forums to general approval is to study the way people talk on Yea Forums. That's what people really care about here: that you agree with them, and that you talk like them.

Pretty much what this user said OP. I haven't even read one of the 3 books I posted

>but also because there is so much variation in Christian thought
This. Even the most dogmatic interpretations of the Bible are still just cherry-picks. Every Christian has to ignore or work around the contradictions in their sacred text to some extent. Being a member of a given church usually just means that, as a Christian, you've agreed to abide by somebody else's interpretation.

Yes, but that goes for literally any community on the planet. Do you feel special for realizing that being agreeable makes you likable? You should write a book about it. How to Win Friends and Influence People is all about that concept.
The real posters on Yea Forums that are remembered by anons in their hearts are the ones that drop real knowledge on real literature, not regurgitated bullshit we've all read a million times. People that prove they know some shit are always screencapped and reposted and regurgitated. I still see people post the same advice a handful of posters used to say years ago. The fact of the matter is most of us are just average nobodies, which is why we don't stand out and treat each other the way we do. If we had something to say, we'd be saying it and getting credit for it, even anonymously. ESPECIALLY anonymously.

Collected Dialogues of Plato
Collected Works of Shakespeare
Norton Anthology of English Literature

>getting credit
>anonymously
I wouldn't post anything here that I thought might be worth plagiarizing if that's what you mean.

I didn't mean to suggest that anybody on Yea Forums is "agreeable." Mainly, my point was that every board on Yea Forums demands a kind of linguistic purity, and if you don't or refuse to use this Yea Forums-speak, you get accused of being a reddit poster or something else. I've gotten shit more times for using ten-cent thesaurus words on here than I have for disagreeing with someone, being wrong about something, or not having read a book.

Like, if I had the power to force everyone that wants to post on Yea Forums to read 3 books before they do? This is a really subjective question in that case, considering I'd just make people read books I like so I have people to talk about them with. If you're genuinely interested in those books, I'd say Norton's Anthology of Poetry, the Princeton Encylopedia of Poetry, and a technical manual a la Western Wind or something. If everyone was forced to read those, I'd finally have people to actually discuss poetry with instead of a bunch of cretin gremlins looking for an ego inflation.
Every community has its quirks, or else there'd be no point in having communities. What's your point? Agree with a community's quirks and they'll be more accepting to you. Act in a manner they dislike and they won't be accepting. I agree.

The Bible
Lost in the Cosmos
Men of Good Will

The Ego and it's property

THANK YOU

That was my point. You don't have to read books to post on Yea Forums and not get shit on. You just have to use an memorize Yea Forums speak. I'm addressing OP's question.

Do you think we're arguing? You seem angry.

The fact that the Bible is widely influential is not exactly a revelation to people familiar with literature. Are you new to reading? If so, welcome to /lit!!!! :))

Hypersphere
Creme et Sugar
The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra

Attached: d06018e8a7f61ba68d07712af0cc53c7.jpg (1675x1159, 979K)

Firstly, not everybody that replies to your posts are the same person. Secondly, welcome to Yea Forums. Thirdly, what would make you think anyone's angry? What words indicate this to you? I think you're bad at reading contextually, or have some insecurities that I have nothing to do with and are causing you to act defensively for no real reason. This is a discussion board, and I am discussing your post. Fourth and finally, your post is irrelevant and you're just making a post to post. The thread topic is IF there WERE three books. We know that nobody reads on Yea Forums, that's the point of the thread. It's IF there WERE three books you had to read, what WOULD they be? Hypothetical question, yet you give some personal blogpost observation on the board. Very indicative of the person you are. Perhaps the reason people respond negatively to your posts is because you're dislikable, and not because you don't post our memes and talk like us?

This is the only answer btw

Jew here. If nothing else, just the fact that a substantial (if not majority, really) of the people in your hemisphere believe in it makes it a must read. Not knowing the content of the Bible is just pure ignorance in our world still.

I'll admit I thought you were angry because I thought you were the other guy, and he wrote a line to the effect of "does it make you feel SPECIAL that you figured this out" which was obviously an attack. Anyway, you're characterization of my post as a "personal blogpost observation" is also less than friendly and your tentative assessments of my character still have some acid to them. Are you really angry that I didn't want to participate in OP's hypothetical?

Lolita
Wuthering Heights
Don Quixote

Just because someone is annoyed by you doesn't mean they're big-epic-triggered-hella-angry, user. Why the fuck did you feel the need to post in this thread if you didn't want to participate in the thread itself? That just screams superficial to me, and I made the observation. You're not so important that anyone cares about your observations, this isn't your blog, and that's why people on this board react so negatively to your posts. I'm actually shitting up the thread myself by carrying out this discussion.

the qwaran desu

I didn't say you were "big-epic-triggered-hella-angry" though you seem to be getting there. I said "you seem angry" which you did. If nobody cares about your observations why write anything anywhere? Presumably nobody cares about your observations either, but you're still here responding to my bullshit, and other people's bullshit, and pretending the discussion will amount to anything.

Why have topics at all if you're going to ignore them to post mundane bullshit that nobody cares about? The reason nobody likes you isn't because you don't talk like us and use thesaurus words, it's because you're full of pretensions, such as why people don't like you and that everyone who is annoyed by you is angry. Why do you keep talking about me being angry? Is that so important to you that you think whoever you're talking to is upset? You're incredibly insecure to think everyone who calls you annoying is just triggered. If it makes you feel better, yes user I'm INCREDIBLY angered by your posts. I'm red in the face as I type this.

Why does it matter to you so much that you're "annoyed" rather than "angry?" Makes no difference to me which one, but of course I care that people I talk to are upset with me. Not so much that I avoid it on an anonymous image board, but it's an important factor, and I think the level of speech-policing that goes on here is ludicrous.

You're the only one even responding at this point, and I don't even know why you still care. I'm starting to get bored with this conversation which is now entirely about me and you in particular.

>Iliad
>Bible
>Republic by Plato

Man, it's a free anonymous anime imageboard. No one must do something to be allowed to post, it's one of the good things about this website

1. The Iliad
2. Beowulf
3. Njal's Saga

Care to list any of these contradictions?

Good post, but nrsv is only a good translation of a compromised textual base. TR all the way. Not to mention Wescott and Hort were insincere at best and heretics at worst.

>“I reject the word infallibility of Holy Scriptures overwhelmingly.” (Westcott, The Life and Letters of Brook Foss Westcott, Vol. I, p.207).

>“Evangelicals seem to me perverted. . .There are, I fear, still more serious differences between us on the subject of authority, especially the authority of the Bible.” (Hort, The Life and Letters of Fenton John Anthony Hort, Vol. I, p.400)

>“He [Jesus Christ] never speaks of Himself directly as God, but the aim of His revelation was to lead men to see God in Him.” (Westcott, The Gospel According to St. John, p. 297).

>“(John) does not expressly affirm the identification of the Word with Jesus Christ.”…(Rev. 3:15) might no doubt bear the Arian meaning, the first thing created.”

That's heresy

Why are you pretending to be me?

What version of the bible is best to read for literary purposes?

*tips fedora*

>NRSV for its accuracy
>ἀδελφοί
>brothers and sisters
reee

You need to watch Eva before posting on Yea Forums, you need to listen to TMR before posting on Yea Forums, you need to 1CC at least three 2hu games on hard before posting on /jp/, and you need to read Ulysses, GR, and IJ before posting on Yea Forums.

The holy bible
Finnegans wake
The critique of pure reason

War and Peace
In Search of Lost Time
Konosuba

Frankenstein and ELLIOT RODGER MANIFESTO: MY TWISTED WORLD, both great books about incels.

of course this post has gone ignored since it is the only correct post

The only one and his belongings

Attached: 1389229513083.png (501x828, 46K)

unironically everyone should take the joypill