Why haven't you begun your education in ancient Greek and Latin, further progressing to German, Italian...

Why haven't you begun your education in ancient Greek and Latin, further progressing to German, Italian, French - then branching out into eastern I-E languages such as Sanskrit, Farsi, and Hindi??
>T. classics major thats taking 3 language courses lol

Attached: 1540804094093.jpg (700x875, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MpPJ4Rr-5SQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No you aren't. Are you really so pathetic you have to lie to strangers on the internet.

I'm not interested in the last three.

Don't you do the first five in primary and secondary education? Why would you be doing them past 18?

>T. classics major thats taking 3 language courses lol
I guarantee you've only just started them, riding the initial high. People like you who need instant gratification (this post shows that) will never stick it out to actually become adept in a language.

>implying simply learning Latin will make you a better person
there are latin professors that are absolute degenerates
t. actual Roman

Second year classics major, doing my second year of attic greek (just working through daphnis and chloe right now), and first year latin and german. Why would I need to lie? I have a kind of autistic fascination with languages, and I'm good at them lol

anyways the point of the thread was if you guys love to read why aren't you reading in dif languages? 10% of the worlds books are written in german alone.

Attached: autistic language grades.png (369x369, 25K)

It gets worse when they learn Greek. Latin is what they used teach grils because it's bowdlerised, but Greek is where the truly nasty shit sets in.

>only starting Latin and Greek in uni
What country is this?

Sorry, Latin and German. If it were Greek you could have just gone to a non classics school, but German is a major EU language. Did you do French Italian and English through secondary or something that you couldn't fit it in your schedule?

Canada. We hardly learn french in school, and it's our second language. Pretty shit.
I've been doing greek for over a year, and most of my profs think I have real potential. I'm assuming you're projecting, because you've tried (and failed) to learn a second language?
ngl most of my profs are actually pretty great.

Again canada. We sorta pride ourselves on the fact that english and french are our two official languages, but i think that it's isolation from other countries and proximity to the USA that sorta forces english down the populations throat. Learning second languages are almost discouraged as a bit of a fruitless endeavour here and it's really fucking sad

>Canada. We hardly learn french in school, and it's our second language. Pretty shit
Oh that makes sense. I figured maybe America, but Canada's close. I thought they made you learn in at least two languages, but I guess that's confined to Quebec? In Europe a lot of unis won't take you for classics if you can't pass a proficiency test in one or other of Latin and Greek.

We also have to learn at least one other living EU foreign language through secondary education.

From grade 4-9 you learn french in school, and given my sorry excuse for french as an example, even having gone through an extra year of it in grade 10, they teach you practically nothing. All grammar is relegated to grades 10-12, which sets the student up for failure to be honest. Its one of the biggest problems I have with my german course in uni right now as well - i think it might be a thing with modern languages in general. There's just no grammar. People are too obsessed with being able to seem like they can fluently and fluidly speak, the courses end up reflecting this and essentially just teach you phrases and call themselves some variant of the "communicative approach".

>All grammar is relegated to grades 10-12,
How? Wtf? Do they just expect you to speak without declension or conjugation? I don't understand.
We teach in two languages in my country, so you start schooling with two natural languages, but you learn grammar in both. I think it makes it easier to pick up different languages, but I can't imagine how deferring that until you're 16 (? I don't know how your grade system works) makes no sense.

Basically you memorize basic verb conjugations in French, yknow like -er -ir and -re endings, and a few irregular verbs (avoir and etre). Otherwise they mostly get you to sing songs and memorize presentations in French. Its garbage. By grade 10 they get into the real grammar, stuff outside of singing songs for verb endings and telling you that adjectives go after the noun.

It sounds like the curriculum for the youngest children here. Why don't they shift it to younger years?

Essentially the kids here are too spoiled and retarded. When they start to find difficulties in school we just try our hardest to push em off to be the next grades problem until gr12

So high

>tfw I have too many things to juggle between uni and private time study to learn classic languages

I still can't figure out what to drop out of my activities.

Probably a new-world country. Here in America we don’t really learn new languages in school becuase almost everyone over here speaks English and it’s a common misconception that almost everyone in Europe and Asia speaks English too, so why learn it? For example, my high school only offered Spanish I and Spanish II. They had no classical languages or other modern languages aside from Spanish, and the only reason they offered Spanish was becuase it was state mandated to offer a 2nd language and we had a lot of greasers in our town

og source pic?

>striped handwarmers
>she
nigger I was born in the morning, not this morning

>tits are temporary
goddamn, he's right. tits are fleeting. i need to live for greater, more meaningful things

>t. actual Roman
Imagine actually believing this

Right. Pastanon, can you read Roman poetry from even 200 years ago? Didn’t your area lose its entire accent and culture to chavs?

Spain is the true heir to Rome and all know it. Language is the closest (not an anachronistic artificial language used by a poet during the Renaissance), the character of the people is the closest, and they keep fucked up gorey rituals like Bullfighting.

>Spain is the true heir to Rome and all know it.
Ahahahahahahaha oh wow.

Italy was emptied when Justinian tried to take the peninsula back from civilized Germans, then the worst of all Germans until modern Berliners, the Lombards swept in, setting up Italy’s eternal beta.

Meanwhile Spain got the best set of Germans and spent most of its history conquering until overdoing it, getting cocky, and getting btfo by Germanic cultures, just like the Western Empire.

You guys have some nice books tho. Should’ve gone with based Machiavelli’s answer to the language question.

Because I'd be spending years learning Greek and Latin just to read a very small corpus. At least you included Persian.

Oh dear, he's actually retarded.
It's almost as if you're unaware that almost everything in the European middle ages was written in Latin.

they're not temporary when an image has been taken

Attached: 1532121977838.jpg (960x1280, 139K)

Yeah OP here, I'm Canadian and we basically only have French offered in most schools, sometimes you'll get other languages in big city high schools tho
Big kek
Become a true stoic brother
Can we all just agree that there was no heir to Rome and the real reward was the friends we made along the way?You're retarded about the latin but I like that you appreciate the Persian. I'm quarter Persian, quarter kurd, quarter english, quarter German personally
Factual

I have never cared about learning another language. Everyone important in life speaks English. I'm too busy with programming anyway.

And has been translated

A whole year user? wow. now I'm impressed

>is the closest
lol, wtf. Do you actually believe this?

Because I'm learning Old English and progressing to Deutsch, then branching out to Celtic languages like Welsh and then Old Welsh :)

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 126K)

Is that uWaterloo I see? Nice grades. Anyway, I stopped learning languages because my memory is too poor for it. I have a much weaker memory than most people, and it makes it impossible for me to learn other languages. I used to learn Japanese, and later tried German, but have sadly realized I'll never be able to reach fluency in either of these. The more I learn of them, the more I forget of English. And I'd rather just max out my English ability than have very weak comprehension of another language whose country I'm unlikely to travel to anyway. That said, why are you learning them? To be able to read more books? Will you pursue these languages for the rest of your life?

why is a crater gracing her otherwise cute tummy?

Respecc
Kind of a beta mentality but I get it. Also nah not Waterloo, not giving away my location tho
Given that I can translate longus pretty well and it's more Greek than you'll ever know I would be impressed too
It's important to translate into the common vernacular every so often Pretty cuckish, you'll earn bank tho

Also I wanna be a prof eventually so all three languages are kind of essential from what my profs have told me

Because she's a THOT.

>one year of study of Greek and I'm already translating
l a r p

Does she has a cock

I actually learned italian to help me learn latin, to help me learn greek...
I'm learning sanskrit instead (not because i planned it, i just found sanskrit material before latin or greek) i still want to learn greek, though i'm not really interested in latin anymore

True. As permanent as the “glory of Rome”

Because she had a mommy feed her through there, just like everyone else

judging by the hip-waist ratio, jaw shape and hands probably not. But believe whatever you want to believe.

>Because she had a mommy feed her through there, just like everyone else
He's talking about the jewelry, I think.

To be fair I'm almost done my second year. Do I gotta screencap my translations to shut you up too?
Planning on sanskrit eventually, just dont have the time right now with all three.

is that what it is? it looks gray and gaping

Yeah. It's an oversized belly-button ring.

i know where you live lol

You wouldnt be the first

>tits are temporary

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x292, 8K)

If you are in the pic, hit me up for a smooch. Maybe more, but no need to be lurid.

Tbh that is stone-tit which is comparable to the glory of tits. The OP image is talking about meat made milkers which are doomed to rot.

So how about a photo of real tits? Also all those Romans have long since rotted, its all ruins and rock now

Both the picture and the statue are as permanent as the “glory of Rome”

Attached: 7632D5BB-6B36-4E30-A1C8-8DC398E0BC09.jpg (1000x1400, 159K)

no benis?

What you plebeians fail to understand is that I like to jack off onto rocks.

I'm learning Italian now with these goals in mind. How long did it take you to get to a comfortable level? I'm alright with grammar but my vocabulary sucks and word order sometimes surprises me because it's more flexible than English.

I'm fairly good at French, but why would I spend a large amount of time on a dead language? For the challenge, or what?
My gf speaks Farsi and Urdu and she teaches me little phrases in Farsi sometimes

Attached: KSaocih.jpg (1280x854, 205K)

Mostly to get a better understanding of texts that were originally written in Latin. If you're strictly a utilitarian you'd probably be best learning Spanish or some other "useful" thing.

P.S. Are you sure that you gf speaks Farsi and not Dari (Afghan Persian)? A lot of Pakis seem to think they speak standard Persian when they, in fact, do not.

Honestly I found it's easy but I have autistic levels of memorization skills. I'd suggest just learning it the dummy way, practice practice practice. If you cant rattle off declensions for verbs and noun cases you're not doing it right Factual, they mostly speak Pashtun mixed with dari.
Urdu is basically just Indian Persian.

We tryna turn this into a Persian language thread boys?

>Urdu is basically just Indian Persian.
That is incredibly incorrect. Urdu is just Hindi written in the Persian alphabet.

Dude with all the persian loanwords, and the fact that the rulers of modern day pakistan spoke persian primarily, it's a bit of a generalization but not incredibly incorrect. Go be a fact nazi somewhere else cunt

There's no reason for me to learn another language. Most of the first-world knows English, and it's only increasing. If I want to consume foreign media, then there's typically English translations readily available. Only some obscure media is untranslated, true of every language. No one can point to any language to an English native and say that's objectively a language you should learn.

*Go be correct somewhere else cunt
ftfy
Hindi also has a lot of Persian loanwords and the rulers of India spoke Persian until the start of the Raj. Does that make Hindi also just Persian?
>the rulers of modern day pakistan spoke persian primarily
Want to give me a source on that?

I can see that. And no, she's mixed - half Paki half Afghan, much more fluent in Farsi than Urdu. She's always referred to it as Farsi and not Dari, and she speaks it with actual Persians just as often as her own family. Her dad (full Afghan) apparently speaks Pashtu and a couple smaller tribal languages but for weird reasons refuses to teach them to her.

Because I'm going to learn Welsh as my second language, then Old English, then German cause it's easy once you know OE, then Russian

>Want to give me a source on that?
the mughals you asshole. For nearly all of history pakistan hasn't been a thing. It's been controlled by various rulers, including iranic peoples (most often persians), greeks, indians, mughals, etc. The point is that persian was often used as a bureaucratic language within the region, and the middle east for that matter. Hindi has retained most of its own identity, but even native speakers of urdu will admit it's mostly a mixture of persian, arabic, and the old hindustani dialects that the region retained. I understand where you're coming from with the whole hindustani language argument, I'm just talking about what I've researched (which to be fair isn't much since I'm not super interested in any sort of southeast-asian language past sanskrit) and what my pakistani friends have pretty much all told me. you honestly just sound like a super angry pajeet.

>bragging about good grades in entry level courses to strangers

I'm not saying it isn't good that you're excelling, but boasting is futile.

What uni is this? Do they all use myCourses now?

>brags about doing well at the entry level
OH NO NO NO NO NO AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

pathetic picture
who the fuck makes these
fucking anglos should be eradicated

because its hard

I mean I get 90's in most of my other, non-entry level non-language courses as well. Got like 103 on my 2nd year Greek History final exam. Was pretty proud about that. Wasn't really trying to boast either, just wanted to prove to these people that I really am who I claimed to be (t. classics major) and that I'm actually halfway decent at languages. Also pretty sure most Canadian uni's use some form of myCourses. Not gonna give away where I go, just from me breaking down my ethnic background here people could figure out who I am pretty easily if they know me.
You're probably not even in university.

>Otherwise they mostly get you to sing songs and memorize presentations in French.

Can confirm, had to present something about pizza

nigga thats decaying,
how arrogant you have to be to call that "permanent"
delusional fuck

>the mughals you asshole
So, seeing as how the Mughals don't rule over modern Pakistan, you're a retard. Opinion discarded.
If she's half Afghan she's probably speaking Dari and just calling it Farsi, a lot of them do that.

>tfw wil never find a gf who's passionate about the classics

Attached: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (984x800, 63K)

Classics is a primarily female dominated field they're just all fucking insufferable basic white bitches who got into it because it was the major of the twit that wrote Harry Potter and Daddy's the one that paid for their education. Fuck you, Lindsey, you cunt!!!

The ideal can't decay

oh man you're a fucking retard eh, the base of power for the mughals was delhi but also if you'll look at the map i found you'll see they even took the time to capture all the way up to pakistan. They definitely did rule over it. Poo in loo pajeet

Attached: 1200px-Mughal1700.png (1200x701, 99K)

OP here, honestly boys I won't lie that shit fucking gets me everyday. I'm a relatively attractive dude so I pull bitches, but none of them are as passionate about classics or ancient languages as I am. Hoping I can seduce a colleague once I'm a prof or some shit man

What part of the word "Modern" in "Modern Pakistan" do you not understand? How do you not see how your statement was false?

The lasting historical impact on linguistic heritage from ruling dynasties and cultures is clearly something you can't comprehend. fuckin done with ya bud. youtu.be/MpPJ4Rr-5SQ
Check out this vid or the other one the guy has specifically on the differences between urdu and Hindi. To sum it up in his other video on the subject, I believe he stated that "urdu speakers more closely identify with a muslim and persian heritage".

None of that has anything to do with what you actually said. I mentioned the Rulers of India speaking Persian for a long period of time here in the same post that I pointed out your statement about modern Pakistan being incorrect.
Back to the original point of the conversation Urdu and Hindi are both the same language but written in a different script and neither of them are Persian(Farsi, Dari, Tajiki, etc) even the video you just linked says exactly what I'm saying. Urdu and Hindi share the same Persian loanwords that does not make them a dialect of Persian.
You are a nitwit.

Not even gonna waste my breath on you.

Because you know that you're wrong, faggot.

>I'm almost done my second year
You barely have any grasp regarding English grammar I'm supposed to believe you are proficient enough to do decent translations of a much harder language? l o l

Bc the term “Dari” was introduced relatively recently by the afg government and has some underlying political/racial implications (see: Pashtun nationalists). Before that everyone just called it Farsi bc the difference between Afghan Farsi and Iranian Farsi is negligible.

Sorry, what was wrong with my grammar in that sentence? Also apologies if I don't really give a fuck for grammatical, syntactical and spelling errors while I fucking post on 4channel LOL.
Also, figured I'd post my greek translation of daphnis and chloe. I've got tons but I'm only halfway through book two. For any interested, this is book two page nine. Correct me if I fucked up, I appreciate it!
>II. ix. This became a nightly school for them. And having led the herds into pasture of the coming day, they kissed having seen each other, a thing which they did not yet do before, and interchanging arms they embraced; but the third cure they shrunk from, lying down after taking their clothes off; for it was bolder not only for girls but for young goatherds. Therefore again night came on she having sleeplessness thought of things that had happened and blaming things that had been neglected. “We kissed, and it did not help. We embraced, and it was no better. Pretty well to lie down together is the only cure of love. It is necessary to try even this. In this it will be wholly something better than a kiss.

also even more fun stuff, these kids eventually have sex. She's 13 and he's 15. Ah, the classics.

Like three or four months. But i learned it just by hearing, no formal study of grammar. I watched lots of anime dubbed (italian is great for shonen really) and because i already knew the dialogue and all, it was very easy to pick up vocab. The verbal declensions are easy to extrapolate once you learn a few verbs. The hardest i'd say is the conditional, subjunctive, irregular verbs and past tenses. Look for books that explain with all the verbal conjugations

i sure do bet all them classic learnings is gonna be good help when the government collapses and ya have to live off the fat of the land.

Attached: jpdoomsday1-jumbo.jpg (1024x683, 172K)

How did you first start off? Did you watch anime with Italian dub and English subs? That's an interesting way to learn it.

This but unironically. Read the Georgics.

You were fine when you mentioned Greek and Latin, now you're high because you want to learn useless eastern languages.

From basic googling it seems that the other user was right, and that Dari is a term used for the language but not one her family would use. She certainly considers it Farsi and isn't ignorant enough to confuse it with a completely different language. I don't know anything about ethnic tensions over there but if this paragraph on wikipedia is accurate it might explain her dad's bitter refusal of Pashtun.

Attached: dari.jpg (1080x1156, 352K)

No Classical Chinese? There's a lot of poetry you're missing out on.

He might as well learn all the tribal languages of the world.

Would you people consider Old Church Slavonic a Classical language or a Medieval language? It's basically like Old English but for Russian.

Medieval, as well as old english.
More of an Indo-European family guy. I figure learning as many languages within a language senpai makes you more comprehensible using any of the languages within that family. Would love to work with a colleague or something interested in Sinitic languages. Maybe we could find one more who wants to prove the existence of the Altaic languages haha

Did this fucking website actually change f.a.m. to senpai? I'm a pretty long time lurker, this is actually one of my first posts. Didn't even fucking realize lmfao.

just wait until you see what makes desu

>Farsi
Just call it Persian, friend.

He'll be shocked, to be honest.

Bump

cringe

Well, my native language is spanish, so that was a huge advantage; but i also taught myself english at a very young age, only with that i started reading. What i'm saying is, that's all there is to learn. Reading and hearing. I remember with eneglish i started reading it a bunch because the yugioh cards were just blowing up; with italian, youtube one day just recomended me an episode of yuyu hakusho dubbed on it, and i thought it would be fun (i was watching it a lot those days, and getting high). Scary. I just realized i learned both thanks to anime. Anyway, get some dictionaries on the language you want; get some material to listen to; movies or music, whatever; and just force yourself trough them. Only after that get started with grammar. I promise you, it's cheaper, easier and funnier than going to the fucking school. I don't even know how i'm learning sanskrit

Did you use video games too? I'm tempted to start playing Pokemon in Italian but my vocabulary is small and the flexibility of sentences throws me off. Maybe it's best if I force myself through it though as you did anime?

The ideal decays just the same, if not worse, as the stone or photo. Even the written word’s meaning becomes lost in time eventually.

Clever, I wasnt that shocked desu

Ok so what you will about the listening aspect but you're dead wrong if you think grammar isnt important wtf

Reading won’t help your listening, but video games in other languages are good, especially for vocab.

Lol, i actually did once i was done watching yyh. With ass creed brotherhood, and metro 2033. I like those games where you can switch the language to any of the main europeans. I remember rayman 2 on the n64 was also like that. Like i said, i had the advantage of speaking spanish, but also that i had already watched yyh a bunch of times and knew what was being said (seriously, i was on like my fourth rewatch when yt suggested me a clip on italian). So pick one you're familiar with. I didn't have subtitles, but they should also be on the language you're hearing. How is this not obvious? You practice both hearing and reading. Also don't forget the dictionary. Though i guess you can use the internet

Where did i say it wasn't important? I meant to imply you should build a vocabulary bfeore getting into the proper grammar. Jesus, i remember when i first tried with sanskrit i used a book by max muller. Worst fucking thing ever. The faggot wrote in the most autistic way possible, and just went on and on about the internal/external sandhi and the aspirated sounds without any practical example, before teaching you even a single dhatu. Completely useless for a beginner; thomas egenes's books were the opposite, they start you with the conjugation in present indicative, so you can actually learn about verbs and nouns/pronouns. Grammar is useless if you don't know a single word, and the opposite is also true

Piss-brained scrub. Hairy backed pleb. Low down, peanut head, bucktooth, bald spot brainlet. What a bad take, get the fuck out of here

Real intellectuals should only be learning Japanese

some basic school-level Latin, uni-level Sanskrit, and pillow-talk Farsi.
plus some modern Euro languages.

Never said not learning vocab wasnt important, but you really make it seem like its worth next to nothing. I've encountered similar problems with mastronardes Greek introductory text, so I feel your pain man. I'm just trying to highlight that grammar is important, just as important as vocab
Pretty wicked ngl

because the Japs are known for their intellectual production, right?

Attached: Zen.jpg (403x487, 39K)

>be raised bilingual
>love studying other languages
>take two languages in college
>major in linguistics because those classes counted towards the credits and it means i can get done faster
>also it's easy
>realize it doesn't actually help you learn a language itself
>and academia is a scam
>still continue studying on my own but with two years of almost useless knowledge about shit like ablative and ergative case

anyway i didn't read the thread but i hope you know you're wasting your time trying to learn all 3 at once. it takes about two to three years of a single language before you can read anything useful. hope you're still just as motivated ten years from now OP

I had to learn greek and latin when I was a kid, who needs a degree to achieve that ?

>ergative
what ergative language did you study?
I did some Tibetan.

t. Michel de Montaigne

How do i go about drilling noun cases and declensions until they become second nature?

I've heard copying charts plenty of times but i'm not sure where to find a good one.

Rome has become a nigger capital ruled by mullato spics and tits still rule the fucking world. only tits of an individual woman are temporary tits of mandkind are eternal.

Find a noun, and decline it over and over and over again. Literally just this. They'll stick.