Turn the other cheek

>turn the other cheek
Why do people always 'forget' to mention that this had a completely different meaning in antiquity?

>At the time of Jesus, says Wink, striking backhand a person deemed to be of lower socioeconomic class was a means of asserting authority and dominance. If the persecuted person "turned the other cheek," the discipliner was faced with a dilemma: The left hand was used for unclean purposes, so a back-hand strike on the opposite cheek would not be performed. An alternative would be a slap with the open hand as a challenge or to punch the person, but this was seen as a statement of equality. Thus, by turning the other cheek, the persecuted was demanding equality.

Attached: 1544351359190.jpg (306x306, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/turn-the-other-cheek
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I had no idea about this

Anyone that preaches forgiveness is a faggot in my eyes.

okay, explain away the verses which immediately follow:
>And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

I remember "give him your cloak as well" was something along the lines of some extreme disrespect because you are insinuating that he is so impoverished that he needs all your clothes and you are acting so generous for his sake. Walk two miles was something about as a prisoner of a soldier, walking 1 mile and 2 paces would be outside of his "domain" [for lack of better terms], so he would beg for you to return so his captain wouldn't punish him for disobeying the range in which he was allowed to travel. The last is a form of dominance, "you owe me and I hold power over you". This is very well discussed, the meaning is lost on the reader for the culture doesn't bear through today
>t. drunkposting while eating taco bell

Jesus fuck this board is a complete meme

>this coping with the weakness of his slave morality religion

give your cloak means to kill the dumb cuck and murder his family and stay on /pol/ and jerk off a lot

>posting on Yea Forums
>not understanding anything beyond the surface-level
Lmfoa my dude, is that way

thank you OP, this is not discussed enough, leads to anons embarrassing themselves, like and

Attached: nicechristianity.jpg (1500x2057, 893K)

I dont know who's cringier; Christcucks or Nietzschefags. You're both tryhard contrarian alt-righters.

>Turns cheek
Then you back slap him in the face.

>Gives you coat and shirt
Take it and ask for sandals.

>Marches with me 2 miles
>Centurion frowns
He's admitting the supremacy of the Pax, sir.

Here's my two dinarii: reading the parables as passive-aggressive makes the whole life of Christ passive-aggressive. And we all have a word for that: being a little bitch. Pilate would not try to save a man like that, nor would dockworker peter follow him. The various gospel authors wrote of their firsthand opinion of christ: he did no evil, spoke no evil, in him was no evil,. These are inconsistent with passive aggressive, which is just bullying without muscles.

Not saying it is not a possible reading, but it is very ugly. It makes "father forgive them, they are ignorant" into "lol you are going to be called christkillers forever, and i am so cool i forgive you, which makes you asshole^2."

Suggest that the people pushing this cannot bear a morally unimpeacheable christ.

You're using labels like you understand them.

Roman law.

youre just a faggot which is worse

Christianity was the original alternative, faggot.

being angry and vindictive is good

Have we posted the camel eye needle meme yet?

So as a Christian are you just supposed to be passive-aggressive instead of normal-aggressive

I understand the desire to try and reform the church and make it masculine but it's useless. The lunar aspect reigns and nothing you do will change that.

Attached: 1518153094776.jpg (216x230, 7K)

catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/turn-the-other-cheek

/pol/ Christians can't even read their own book.

>hehehe no ACKSHYUALLY it means the exact opposite of what you think it means, just trust us goy we know the original translation
it’s disapponting but not surprising that christcucks fall for this stuff

This is completely false, and obviously made up by someone trying to "uncuck" christianity by completely misunderstanding the translation process.
Also sounds like the kind of shit they teach you in one of those white supremacist christian cults where you let the old saggy cult leader fuck your wife.

Cuckoldry is both assertion of being of higher status and dominance, because you have a woman and you use your power to lend her to someone else.

>It's all just socio-economic metaphors and Christianity doesn't actually require you to believe in or do anything that would be counter-intuitive to a secular materialist
Wow how convenient

It's kind of funny how many people try to make excuses for this verse instead of actually follow it.

They don't want to follow it in the first place, so they latch onto convenient excuses.
>2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
>4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

>As a father of eight (two in heaven, and six on earth),

why are catholics always so dark

What translation do you recommend then, if you want to get at the original senses of the stories in the Bible?

Not him
>which translation of a book will help me understand the ancient culture it refers to
I can't tell you which Milhouse meme to look at for you to understand Milhouse Is A Meme, you need to gain the context surrounding it in order to understand. In essence, Start With The Greeks™ and understand that there have been thousands of man-hours put in daily for over a dozen centuries just to fully understand the context and implications of the Bible (and there's still a massive conflict between interpretations). People dedicate their lives to study the Bible and still get nowhere.

Or, more realistically, get an annotated version of the Bible that has a good rep and go through it. There's also a website with every Bible passage and hundreds of annotations on each one

>judging this based board based on one questionable post

I suppose you think African Americans eat a lot of watermelon, you bigoted pseud!