Are there any american philosophers?

are there any american philosophers?

Attached: 37010d0afaa5089d15c3dd7e9deed44152e8ecdc9f0f35a2a16e492063b9ef86.jpg (1559x803, 302K)

This seems like a good thread in which to talk about CS Pearce

I'm mess Borneoh Sanders as fuck.

look up the American transcendentalists

No, Americans are mostly incapable of thought unless it’s reading about the Kardashians and watching black men dribble basketballs/throw footballs and run up and down courts/fields.

Transendentalism was a pretty significant movement in the 19th Century.
People like Emerson and Thoreau, for example.

Attached: the-varieties-of-religious-experience-by-william-james.jpg (838x1255, 85K)

found the skinny-fat europoor.

What part of what I stated was untrue? Your culture is a Jewish/negro hybrid.

Transcendentalism and pragmatism are America's contributions.

I always thought Whitehead was American but he was a bong.

Why do you even care? I really can't imagine being so upset about nonsense that doesn't even affect me. Would you mind telling me what it's like to have such little self-confidence?

e*t my ass

All American philosophy suffers from the eternal Anglo. The best they have come up with are shit tier ethics such as Utilitarianism, or some liberal bastardization of Neoplatonism like Transcendentalism, and I say this as an American myself.

American's are too dumb to philosophize

Attached: _medium_DSCN7823.jpg (640x480, 53K)

William James, Peirce, Nozick, R.C. Solomon, various academic philosophers and logicians, most of the sciences

Why are American philosophers so avoidant of the fundamental questions? It's a country filled with post hoc reasoning to justify an already entrenched and held belief, rather than examining a belief with philosophical methods.
>Pragmatism
>Libertarianism
>Rawle's Social Contract Theory
The list goes on, and applies to the religious and political nature of America, too.
These aren't crosses to bear, these are things that can already appeal to the author and the American public. The hazy fundamentals are treated like foregone conclusions, rather than building conclusions based on fundamentals. It's a melting pot of contradiction,
I think enough of us philosophically inclined Americans see this cultural problem. Time for a change.

The best answer

American philosphy started out exploring society and politcs. And it was very boring shit. Because anglos are boring motherfuckers.
Then around ww2 hitler came to power in europe. This drove out all the analytical philosophers who moved to america. Where they preceded to make american philosophy even more boring and unappealing to the public by making it about science and math and shit.

We've only had 250 years, give us some time to catch up

William James has a pretty robust metaphysics desu ne wa

chisholm is decent

America's had a pretty easy history. You're not going to see a lot of philosophy that questions the fundamentals without the context of true turbulence. Maybe once the foreign hordes take over and constitutional freedoms are taken as a suggestion we'll finally be able to publicly expose classical liberalism for the vacuous dogma that it is.

Americans are gross mutts

probable subtle troll (esp since the following is old news) but those are Euro plugs identifying the scene as a European one.

American Philosophy is just bad Political Philosophy like Rawls and Nozick. Americans lack the ability to think beyond the material world.

Emerson, James, Dewey, Pierce, Quine, Putnam, Davidson, Sellars.
If nobody else, you gotta give Quine some credit. His prose is fantastic, manages to make semantics interesting. If you haven't read the two dogmas of empiricism at least you're missing out big time.